• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 trailer incoming?

gamerMan

The top one is a heavily compressed low res image from Twitter, the bottom is a full resolution and rather great quality shot.

Additionally the top one looks like it's using the gameplay model whereas the bottom is using the cutscene one. Higher level of detail during cutscenes so things like hair/skin will probably look a bit better

Exactly, you always want to build different resolution models depending on the scene complexity and how close the model is to the camera. During gameplay you don't need a super detailed model because the camera is never going to get up close.

During cut scenes you want higher resolution models. During extreme closeups, you want even higher resolution models since you are not rendering much of the background. This is done all the time in 3D animation. The idea is to always make sure you are using the full rendering capability of the PS4.

LurkingFear

5KZllmE.gif

Preorder confirmed!

Consumer

Meh. After that 10/10 "Man behind the treasure" trailer, the quality will only go downhill from here.

But I'll still watch it and it'll still be pretty great.

I'm sensing another cutscene though, with a bit of trailer montage in the end. It seems like they have been trying to avoid doing trailers that show to much (no complains here). Honestly I'd bee down for another gameplay reveal.

Every gameplay or trailer seem to have reveal something:
E3 2014 Teaser - reveal the possibility that this might be Drake's last adventure
PSX 2014 - reveals gameplay and the hook.
E3 2015 - revealed vehicles
PSX 2015 - revealed optional dialogue
Tomorrow - side characters and villain?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
lol i swear this game gets downgraded every time they show it. The face now looks blurry compared to the E3 pic.

Cb8dGmZUUAABjOk.jpg

Uncharted-4-E3-2015-Drake-surprised.jpeg
Why not compare it to the very similar shot posted earlier in the thread? Because if you do it's considered an upgrade, there are more lights, and they seem to have improved the textures a bit via adding dirt. Not every shot in the game is gonna be a full LOD perfectly lit shot of Drake like that e3 screenshot, that fact in and of itself doesn't indicate downgrading.

Eggbok

There hasn't been a single PS4 exclusive that has suffered from visual downgrades.
Naughty Dog is like the last dev we should worried about when it comes to games being downgraded lol especially in the graphics department.

Inb4 that Uncharted 3 E3 comparison.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Why not compare it to the very similar shot posted earlier in the thread? Because if you do it's considered an upgrade, there are more lights, and they seem to have improved the textures a bit via adding dirt. Not every shot in the game is gonna be a full LOD perfectly lit shot of Drake like that e3 screenshot, that fact in and of itself doesn't indicate downgrading.
Right, I get that but it is the shot the released. i would expect them to release a better screenshot. at least you are one of the few who does see something's off.

Anyway, you're right. a better comparison would be the psx 2014 trailer but someone had already made it up above. anyway, here you go. the character model still looks blurry compared to the old screenshots below. but the lighting has definitely been improved. that psx demo also had awful color grading so it looks like they thankfully fixed it.

There hasn't been a single PS4 exclusive that has suffered from visual downgrades.
Naughty Dog is like the last dev we should worried about when it comes to games being downgraded lol especially in the graphics department.

Inb4 that Uncharted 3 E3 comparison.

It's about games in general really. It's basically a meme at this point. My favorite example is that someone went into what I believe was that NFS Gamescom thread and said that they were disappointed with the downgrade from what they showed at E3. Then a developer popped in and said that it was literally the exact same demo that they showed at E3.

WadeitOut

I just don't like his look now period. He went from a lean suave treasure hunting machine to someone who looks like they would talk like Rob Gronkowski.

I wanna say Drive Club, but I'm not 100% sure.

Driveclub actually got upgraded. You can look up the early videos from Gamescom 2013 and stuff, it looked really rough

I just don't like his look now period. He went from a lean suave treasure hunting machine to someone who looks like they would talk like Rob Gronkowski.

He looked really cartoony in the PS3 games so I think it was always going to be tough to faithfully translate him to a more "realistic" model. I'm pretty happy with the result but it was a bit jarring at first

Eggbok

I wanna say Drive Club, but I'm not 100% sure.

Driveclub was not downgraded lol, it was upgraded like every other exclusive. Reminds me of that one guy that argued with Rushy about the shadows and Rushy had to take a picture to shut him up haha.

It's about games in general really. It's basically a meme at this point. My favorite example is that someone went into what I believe was that NFS Gamescom thread and said that they were disappointed with the downgrade from what they showed at E3. Then a developer popped in and said that it was literally the exact same demo that they showed at E3.

That's hilarious lol!

gadwn

I will avoid it like the plague.

...Really looking forward to reading impressions though! Goty 2016 should not be spoiled.

I wasn't sure if they modeled all of the characters after their actors.

As far as I know they don't model the characters directly after the actors. Some of them, especially Drake and Elena, have similarities but they aren't like Quiet, Delsin, LA Noire, games from Quantic Dream etc. where their faces are 1:1 copies of the actors that are portraying them.

When you add :eek:rig to the end of the image, it gets bigger :D

Cb8dGmZUUAABjOk.jpg:orig

There you go, SlimyShark. Still not a full-quality PNG capture, but the "crisp" as you call it is there. Maybe think about resolution differences and compression next time?

c0de

When you add :eek:rig to the end of the image, it gets bigger :D

Cb8dGmZUUAABjOk.jpg:orig

There you go, SlimyShark. Still not a full-quality PNG capture, but the "crisp" as you call it is there. Maybe think about resolution differences and compression next time?

That's a really, really good model for a video game!

Trying to derail the Xbox-Windows presser the next day
/s

Am excited. Hopefully there will be some new environments/biomes spliced throughout.

c0de

What the hoooly fuuuck

This looks insane. Pure CGI qualy. This can't be ingame? Naughty Dogs you crazy wizards. That is PS5 material right there lol. Damn damn

Take a closer look to the picture, it's not even close to CGI quality. Dithering, obvious polygon edges, aliasing.
It looks absolutely outstanding for a (console) game but I don't know why people put this even remotely to CGI.

Take a closer look to the picture, it's not even close to CGI quality. Dithering, obvious polygon edges, aliasing.
It looks absolutely outstanding for a (console) game but I don't know why people put this even remotely to CGI.

I get what you mean on a tech level.

But I think to most people playing UC4, this will look basically CGI quality to them (for a video game) :p
There's no game out there outside TO:1886 (played by very few) which can even compete graphically.

Mannn. It's crazy how little I've seen of this game, so proud of the guys and gals at ND they are working INSANELY hard. Much respect! Cannot wait to play it!

I want to but there is no way I am watching this trailer.

damnit - I think that screenshot looks like ass.

for some reason its a super awkward pic.

maybe its the spec or displacement
Yaa I think its the spec or the bump displacement map or the spec mirror hair fusion maps or the 4d3d3d map. Great post man, you are a true detective.

(We have a lot of master artist critiques here, let's get some portfolios/websites with these comments goin!)

barit

Because we're used to this:

That's why it looks so absolutely spectacular from my point of view

c0de

Because we're used to this:

That's why it looks so absolutely spectacular in my point of view

Still doesn't make it look like CGI ;) But sure, I understand your point. But taking a bad example when there are already way better looking games and models...
IIRC the PC screenshot thread is full of RotTR-Lara-model shots and when you see these shots, UC4 is not that impressive or a leap anymore. You can even take The Order and say that's not a huge leap, if at all.
Still, it looks insanely good and I am eager to see how the game holds up when you actually play it.

Top Bottom