• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

United States Election: Nov. 8, 2016 |OT| Hate Trumps Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excited/nervous for today. When my wife gets home from work, she's taking our 2-year old daughter with her to vote, because she wants to be able to tell her someday about how she was with mommy the day she voted to elect the first woman president. I'll be voting after her.

+2 for Hillary Clinton in Michigan.

My polling place didn't have stickers....

jimmy-mcnulty.gif

Look at all you guys getting stickers! I voted three times in the UK, and not once did anyone give me a sticker! All I got was some solemn old lady manning the booths saying "yeah, bye."

This sucks. It's the worst bit of news I've seen all election day
of which I fucking pray stays that way.

Slayven

Romney is like that misinformed Boy Scout leader that really tries to do whats right but is tied up with that messy party of his.

He did try with his binders of women. But yes I miss the 4 years ago Republican nominee.
Him and the bushes are a dying breed. Republicans with self respect

Hoo-doo

Banned
Some folks see "I voted for Trump" as "I voted to kick your loved ones out of the country."

Or "I voted to legally dissolve your marriage."

Or "I voted to further erode your voting rights, and for a DOJ that will ignore cops killing you in the streets."

He stands for these things. The GOP stands for these things.

Don't be shocked when folks take this kind of thing personally.

Hell I didn't think i'd ever be defending a Trump voter because I despise the guy, but damn if it isn't eye-rollingly predictable to see GAF piling on every single time.
Rational debate isn't even a remote possibility because each side is so incredibly entrenched. You don't even know what the guy's story is or why he voted the way he did.

I can already hear you thinking 'It's indefensible! Racism! Sexism! Homophobia!'
Yes, millions and millions of people in the US are that culturally isolated and/or uneducated that they simply can't see the bigger picture. Or simply don't think of the consequences of their vote outside of their tiny personal bubble. It's terrible and it needs to change from the bottom up.

But shouting down anyone that dares to speak out about voting Trump or disliking Hillary only furthers the already colossal divide. Brings more hate to the table. Be the better man and focus on what you can do instead of wasting time trying to convince others to see your way through insulting them. The guy already cast his vote and it's his right to do so. I'm sure he had his reasons good or bad. No need for a page-long pileup ending with greyed out names.

Now go and get more people out there voting for Hillary. Let's hope that sanity prevails.

HylianTom

Banned
Scandals manufactured by the GOP...

OMG somebody might have hinted that Clinton did something kind of bad

SCANDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL

What is she guilty of, in fact?

She's been investigated for over 20 years.
Multiple GOP House committees.
A Special Prosecutor.
The FBI.
They've spent millions of dollars pursuing her.

They've done everything short of appointing a GOP-approved proctologist.

And they've found JACK/SQUAT on her.

If she's so patently, obviously corrupt, she's also damn competent at hiding it. Otherwise, they should've been able to pin something on her by now.

Look at all you guys getting stickers! I voted three times in the UK, and not once did anyone give me a sticker! All I got was some solemn old lady manning the booths saying "yeah, bye."

This sucks. It's the worst bit of news I've seen all election day
of which I fucking pray stays that way.

if they gave out stickers, brexit would have never happened.

Arkeband

Banned
Yes, millions and millions of people in the US are that culturally isolated and/or uneducated that they simply can't see the bigger picture. Or simply don't think of the consequences of their vote outside of their tiny personal bubble. It's terrible and it needs to change from the bottom up.

Okay, that's fine for bumfuck Louisiana, but we're on an internet forum that at least strives for some intellectual discourse - so it's natural to attempt to correct ignorance and disinformation.

Everyone is talking about the presidential race, but I'm also hoping the five states with legal marijuana on the ballot do the right thing and pass those measures as well. Especially California, I believe once they do it the flood gates will open for other states. I can hope anyway.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Okay, that's fine for bumfuck Louisiana, but we're on an internet forum that at least strives for some intellectual discourse - so it's natural to attempt to correct ignorance and disinformation.

Going 'fuck you!' isn't an 'attempt to correct ignorance and disinformation', i'm afraid.

She's been investigated for over 20 years.
Multiple GOP House committees.
A Special Prosecutor.
The FBI.
They've spent millions of dollars pursuing her.

They've done everything short of appointing a GOP-approved proctologist.

And they've found JACK/SQUAT on her.

If she's so patently, obviously corrupt, she's also damn competent at hiding it. Otherwise, they should've been able to pin something on her by now.

I wonder how many more elections they can squeeze out of Benghazi.

KelVarnsen

Neo Member
Lol this has been me all day and I'm not even from the usa.

I think Hillary is a prime choice as a first female president and I can't believe how successfully she has been painted off as evil, poisonous, untrustworthy and dangerous. Literally none of those things I see in her.

Yeah same. Even though the media here present these elections as a no contest and act like Trump is just a joke candidate, I woke up this morning with a knot in my stomach. What if this clown actually wins and we in Europe are trapped with Putin to the east and Trump to the west of us.. Stuck in the middle..

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Hell I didn't think i'd ever be defending a Trump voter because I despise the guy, but damn if it isn't eye-rollingly predictable to see GAF piling on every single time.
Rational debate isn't even a remote possibility because each side is so incredibly entrenched. You don't even know what the guy's story is or why he voted the way he did.

I can already hear you thinking 'It's indefensible! Racism! Sexism! Homophobia!'

But shouting down anyone that dares to speak out about voting Trump or disliking Hillary only furthers the already colossal divide. Brings more hate to the table. Be the better man and focus on what you can do instead of wasting time trying to convince others to see your way through insulting them. The guy already cast his vote and it's his right to do so. I'm sure he had his reasons good or bad. No need for a page-long pileup ending with greyed out names.

Now go and get more people out there voting for Hillary. Let's hope that sanity prevails.

The thing is, if you're fine with Trump, you're fine with his racists, sexists, xenophobic claims.

And since GAF is not just made up of straight, white males, people who piled on are probably people who have faced people like Trump and have had their character destroyed just because of who they are.

Sure, we should educate bigots, but people who have faced discrimination don't have the weight of doing that. People who can educate are those who are privileged to not be discriminated.

Read this thread if you want to discuss more of that.

Xe4

Banned

If it were most other republican presidential nominees, I'd agree. But this is a guyts who said mexicans were rapists on day one of his capaign. Who has sexually assaulted at least a dozen women. Who insulted a gold star family because they were muslim. Sorry, that's indifensible and so is voting for him. If I have to explain that to them, they're too far gone.

Syder

As a Scot, my faith in humanity has been halfway shattered by a vote already this year. Please don't take it all away America.
Same. I was so confident of Remain pre-referndum and I just have this really bad feeling about tonight... Someone settle my nerves, please.

Nah, these people have established and proven they want no part of rational discussion. They decided to get into the mud right along with Trump.

These are the same people supporting the de-legitimizing of a second term and last year of a presidency because reasons. These people know what they are doing. They're not oblivious to what Trump is really saying. They also do not care to look at facts or even basic levels of information.

Trump simply changed that dog-whistle to one humans can hear. That has to be stamped out by any means necessary.

CassSept

So what's the exact timing, it's 14 hours until we can be sure but it can be over in 12 hours depending on Ohio/NC/Florida? That's what I'm getting from reading this thread?I can wait 12 hours until 3 am in Yurop, but past that... well, some sleep before work would be nice.

otakuderek

Didn't vote today, but by absentee ballot last week. +1 for Clinton in Ohio. I'm hopeful that Ohio will make a good decision today.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
So what's the exact timing, it's 14 hours until we can be sure but it can be over in 12 hours depending on Ohio/NC/Florida? That's what I'm getting from reading this thread?I can wait 12 hours until 3 am in Yurop, but past that... well, some sleep before work would be nice.

It's 10 hours until the fun begins, we possibly won't know until about 14 hours though

Plumbob

10 hours or so for Florida right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom