• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US PSN Black Friday Sale + 10% off PSN Code

Tizoc

How is Mad Max? I heard it got only mediocre reviews, but it's only 8 bucks

Should I also bother getting Blood and Wine right now when I'm only a couple hours into Witcher 3?
Mad max is reptitive but ull likely enjoy playing it for 10-20 hours before you get bored ofmit and realzing u only made 1/3 of the way thru the game

robotrock

Banned
Thanks! That's very helpful.

Why is it great? What makes it great that I should hold out for?

The opening 30 minutes are tedious and something about the way you move through the world is making me nauseous.

How different is the rest of the game?

If you're not into the jokes in the first 30 minutes, game isn't for you. That's the rest of the game.

W-00

Count me among those trying to use the 10% off code and failing. I also went to the Black Friday page to get the link to the code to see if it had changed/was unique to each customer (I was pretty sure it wasn't, but after the 'already used' message, I was suspicious) and that link just gives me an error page.

Smidget

Was working before for me over the last day or two and now I can't :/ Darnit. Wanted to pick up:

BF1 season pass
Holoball
Carnival Games
Bound

:x I guess I'll keep trying....

Heel

Well, hell, I should've consulted this thread before buying.

I thought I did something stupid like accidentally redeeming the 10% off code on that free Rez theme. Ended up buying Hitman without the discount when it said I'd already redeemed it. Sony pls.

kuppy

Code worked just fine for me.
Ended up picking up just Mad Max. I'm happy I bought it but would have wished there to be other, more appealing deals for me. Maybe PlayStation Experience or The Game Awards will get another purchase out of me, or well, the holiday sale.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Can you use more than one 20% of code at one time or no? Thinking if I could stack two of them to get at least 50% off including the 10% off via Sony. Thanks.

vg260

PSN download speeds are absolutely atrocious. I've been getting about 10% of my max download speed.

I'm sure this is not new news to most people, but the holiday and the sales seem to be exacerbating the issue.

If I pause and restart, I can maybe get a good download speed that lasts for about 5-10 minutes, until it drops back down to crawling again. I left Titanfall 2 downloading overnight in rest mode and it barely progressed. I shouldn't have taken more than 30-45 minutes with my internet speeds, and I shouldn't have to babysit the download to keep pausing and restarting.

It's not, my ISP or router. PSN is just terrible. I tried all the DNS/MTU tricks posted online, but it didn't help one bit. Steam is blazing fast, XBL is pretty good, and even Windows 10 is good speed. It's pathetic when I have a better experience downloading over 70+GB GOW4, 50+GB Horizon 4 from the Windows 10 store. I think I downloaded both of those on both a PC and Xbox in way less time than one game on PSN.

Sony needs to get to work on a real fix for this, because it's ridiculous.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The complaints about PSN's download speed have always seemed weird to me. My connection isn't SUPER great, only 35/5, but I never have issues with PSN. It always uses the max amount of bandwidth possible. I downloaded GGXrd Revelator, Neptunia VII, and Megaman Legacy Collection in a bit under an hour and a half earlier today (about 17-18GB). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CLEEK

PSN download speeds are absolutely atrocious. I've been getting about 10% of my max download speed.

I'm sure this is not new news to most people, but the holiday and the sales seem to be exacerbating the issue.

If I pause and restart, I can maybe get a good download speed that lasts for about 5-10 minutes, until it drops back down to crawling again. I left Titanfall 2 downloading overnight in rest mode and it barely progressed. I shouldn't have taken more than 30-45 minutes with my internet speeds, and I shouldn't have to babysit the download to keep pausing and restarting.

It's not, my ISP or router. PSN is just terrible. I tried all the DNS/MTU tricks posted online, but it didn't help one bit. Steam is blazing fast, XBL is pretty good, and even Windows 10 is good speed. It's pathetic when I have a better experience downloading over 70+GB GOW4, 50+GB Horizon 4 from the Windows 10 store. I think I downloaded both of those on both a PC and Xbox in way less time than one game on PSN.

Sony needs to get to work on a real fix for this, because it's ridiculous.

There was a recent post on Reddit. A network engineer looked in depth as to what was causing the random slow speeds of PSN downloads.

TL;DR version is Sony use a few different CDN (third party hosting companies that you download from). The main one always produced slow downloads. It's likely that it's bandwidth capped by design to save cost to Sony.

If you use a PC as a proxy server, you can get the static IP of one of the other CDNs and put it in your host file, you'll always get full speed downloads.

Another point is that content downloads in chucks, so you might start on a faster CDN then when your d/l speeds slow, you'd have changed to the slower one. Pausing / Resuming can change the CDN you're connected to, which is why it can improve speeds.

vg260

The complaints about PSN's download speed have always seemed weird to me. My connection isn't SUPER great, only 35/5, but I never have issues with PSN. It always uses the max amount of bandwidth possible. I downloaded GGXrd Revelator, Neptunia VII, and Megaman Legacy Collection in a bit under an hour and a half earlier today (about 17-18GB). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Consider yourself lucky. It's not a made-up issue. I didn't have issues with PSN for a long time, but in recent years it's been terribly inconsistent.

There was a recent post on Reddit. A network engineer looked in depth as to what was causing the random slow speeds of PSN downloads.

TL;DR version is Sony use a few different CDN (third party hosting companies that you download from). The main one always produced slow downloads. It's likely that it's bandwidth capped by design to save cost to Sony.

If you use a PC as a proxy server, you can get the static IP of one of the other CDNs and put it in your host file, you'll always get full speed downloads.

Another point is that content downloads in chucks, so you might start on a faster CDN then when your d/l speeds slow, you'd have changed to the slower one. Pausing / Resuming can change the CDN you're connected to, which is why it can improve speeds.

Yeah, thanks. I saw that I think, but didn't have time to dig into it. I'll have to see what's involved. It didn't look to be a trivial workaround for most users who don't want to tinker around. They really need to improve their service, though.

vg260

I just found that post on Reddit, and gave the proxy thing a try:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/commen...ds_are_notoriously_slow_i_might_have/d7gvuvh/
Pretty much you have to have the proxy program running on a computer (and make sure it's fully allowed via any firewalls). Then you just go into the options and note the IP address and port listed. (It helps if you set up your PC as an assigned static IP). Then on the PS4, when setting up your network, you choose to use a proxy and enter the IP address and port form the program.

After setting it up this way, I was able to get an internet connection on my PS4. The download speed test was still less than 10 Mb/s out of my 150-ish max, but I tired downloading a game and it seemed to be going pretty fast, and what I'd expect. I already downloaded all the massive games I own, so I can't try it with one of those,but next time I download a huge one, I'll give this a try. I'll probably just revert to no proxy until then.

If you're having issues when bad speeds, this might be worth a try.

GmK

Neo Member
So, if I see this correctly: Wait till FF15 is released, and then buy FF15 and flash sale/BF games in one checkout using e.g. a 20% eBay code? That should work, right? Since it's 8 or so hours inbetween FF15 release and end of Flash Sale?

ChrisD

Dang it I can't decide on Vita or PS4 for Digimon.

Should probably do PS4, but the cheaper price of Vita is pretty enticing.

Any reason to choose one over the other?

co1onel

I bought star wars battlefront for $7.50 because I didn't think I'd like it all that much and just wanted to try it out. But now after spending a few hours with it and realizing how much fun it actually is, I'm regretting not getting the ultimate edition for $20. The season pass is more expensive than the ultimate edition. The dlc content looks really cool.

Anyone here got a free code by begging? I mean, if I'd buy a 20% code on ebay it would most certainly be to use it myself.

I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask, sometimes people buy it and oops, you can only use it once per calendar year, and I'd certainly pass it along in that instance, good karma and all that. I've given and received codes for all sorts of things here. :)

Assanova

I just saw a PlayStation commercial advertising the COD combo pack for 59.99. So, is this a permanent price drop for the legacy edition now?

Proc

I went a little overboard but some games were too cheap not to grab. I got all of the following for $178 CAD:

Just cause 3
Skyrim SE
Hitman season 1
COD Legacy Edition
Darksiders 2
Mega man legacy edition
Mordor

I was tempted to double dip on battlefield 1 because it's not stable for me on PC but checked myself before handing ea money for my pc stability issue. Grabbing Doom again was also tempting but I think it will be a one and done game for me on pc.

I can finally relax again. Game deals consume way to much thought when they all hit like this. Especially when AAA titles are discounted like this in mere weeks of release.

Top Bottom