• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria (PS3) Producer "Its sad that fanboys latch onto crappy translations.."

Tru Talon said:
You can see where he coming from. He put time into a project where these casual games is coming out like Reality Shows. I have a Wii and don't have no causal games for it beside Wii Sports. I don't fuck with that shit. It's like another season of Survivor, I ain't trying to see that and all these Chicken Shoot games.

What you are saying is Nintendo didn't put any time and effort into wiisports and wii fit, hell the entire wii line? :lol :lol :lol

Gotta love people that think consumers should only play a certain type of game. It's this kind of Stone Age thinking that keeps the industry stagnant. Good job.

Safe Bet

Banned
Its not sad that WiiFit sells...

Its sad it sells more than the games we* like...

*when I say "we" I mean "me" because in all honesty, I have vastly different taste in games than 99% of GAF.

shinsnake

Banned
NinjaFromTheFuture said:
You guys may be getting the wrong impression. Seems to me he means to say developers should be making proper games that appeal to non-gamers, not making non-games for non-gamers. And that is the sad direction that the industry seems to be heading in.

Is there really any developer that quit making the next action packed big budget title to make Cornhole? I have yet to see that happen. I've seen publishers add money to casual titles which makes for more jobs and more projects and more games.

The problem with this statement is that someone actually thinks there is a correlation between the two. There isn't. There is a casual games market made by developers who make casual games published by casual publishers with casual funding which is all separate from hardcore games and hardcore game developers and hardcore game publisher funding.

ItsInMyVeins said:
What is Valkyria Chronicles and why does it look so fugly?

942165_20080225_screen003.jpg

k527t3.jpg

Yeah so fugly.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I am getting his game just because I agree with his ideas. Finally a developer had the balls to say what many of "us" think.

watkinzez

I guess it was a shame that Buzz sold too. Or that my family had a great time playing it over Christmas break. Should have been getting some Halo on with my grandmother.

Safe Bet

Banned
NinjaFromTheFuture said:
You guys may be getting the wrong impression. Seems to me he means to say developers should be making proper games that appeal to non-gamers, not making non-games for non-gamers. And that is the sad direction that the industry seems to be heading in.
BINGO!

IMO...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Dascu said:
Heaven forbid more people playing games.

This. Getting more casual gamers into the stream may create more hardcore gamers in the future.

I love how Nintendo has unintentionally managed to bring discrimination into the gaming world. We now have the so-called "hardcore" developers and gamers slamming casual gamers every chance they get.

Watching "hardcore" gamers freak out over games that they'd never buy anyway reminds me of those elitist film snobs who can't enjoy anything that isn't a black-and-white foreign film.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Does anyone have the hand shake from predator as a gif.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Count Dookkake said:
Is this arrogant like the stuff Reggie says?

Of course not--you have to be supporting casual games for it to be considered arrogant on this board.

SolidSnakex said:
Yeah so fugly.
Seriously... if it's not attempting to be an ultra realistic brown-fest then the graphics suck, no matter how technically or artistically impressive they are.

This is a fact.

On a serious note though, having seen the shots in the latest EGM, this game does look awesome.

Seriously, what is so bad about Wii Fit selling?

It's actually a good game, it's innovative and it's interesting.

It's not some crappy shovelware game.

And it's not like it's going to halt 'hardcore gaming' either. Wii Sports/Play/Fit/etc hasn't stopped Nintendo from releasing Zelda/Fire Emblem/Metroid/Mario/Smash Bros/etc in just over 1 year!

shinsnake

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
And it's not like it's going to halt 'hardcore gaming' either. Wii Sports/Play/Fit/etc hasn't stopped Nintendo for releasing Zelda/Fire Emblem/Metroid/Mario/Smash Bros/etc in just over 1 year!

This.

Very few of the people who have just bought WiiFit will buy Valkyria, but they might buy Valkyria 2.

Good casual games are like the gateway drug for people to get into more hardcore games. Of course, a good hardcore game should have enough appeal to attract many people.

AniHawk

_Alkaline_ said:
Seriously, what is so bad about Wii Fit selling?

It's actually a good game, it's innovative and it's interesting.

It's not some crappy shovelware game.

And it's not like it's going to halt 'hardcore gaming' either. Wii Sports/Play/Fit/etc hasn't stopped Nintendo for releasing Zelda/Fire Emblem/Metroid/Mario/Smash Bros/etc in just over 1 year!

Nintendo games don't count because they always sell on Nintendo systems and only to Nintendo fans, who are the main reasons casual gaming is so popular and why hardcore gaming's dying.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Count Dookkake said:
Is this arrogant like the stuff Reggie says?
Yes they are both arrogant wangs.
I don't have to like either person's statements or personality. I choose not to.
Anyone who agrees with this guys statements is 13.
I prefer games. Developers are just gamers with ambition. No one to be taken seriously.

I do think his game looks nice. lets chat about that.

Safe Bet

Banned
Plinko said:
Watching "hardcore" gamers freak out over games that they'd never buy anyway reminds me of those elitist film snobs who can't enjoy anything that isn't a black-and-white foreign film.
There are plenty "high art" films that also appeal to casual movie goers.

Why can't games do the same?

AniHawk

Every time I see "Valkyrie of the Battlefield" (or now, Valkyria Chronicles, I guess), my mind briefly jumps to Valkyrie Profile 3. Then it jumps to "cool-looking Sega RPG" and finally to "wait, this isn't Skies of Arcadia 2" and I'm left feeling cheated somehow.

So for this to be worth it, it needs to be better than Valkyrie Profile 3 and Skies of Arcadia 2 combined.

k79

Banned
As long as it doesn't affect "hardcore" games being made on ps3/360 i don't have a problem with them releasing casual/non-game/garbage on Wii.

AniHawk said:
Every time I see "Valkyrie of the Battlefield" (or now, Valkyria Chronicles, I guess), my mind briefly jumps to Valkyrie Profile 3. Then it jumps to "cool-looking Sega RPG" and finally to "wait, this isn't Skies of Arcadia 2" and I'm left feeling cheated somehow.

It's not SoA2, but it's from the same director as SoA.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
godhandiscen said:
I am getting his game just because I agree with his ideas. Finally a developer had the balls to say what many of "us" think.

polyh3dron said:
Just because of this I am buying Valkyria on Day 1 to show my support.
No wait, fuck that. I'll buy TWO copies, both of the collector's edition if there is one.
DMPrince said:
i'm buying myself a Special Edition of Valkyria just because of that.

MrHicks said:
after that comment im gonna buy his game day one

AWESOME GUY

Ah, that`s why he came up with it....attention-whore :)

Haunted

Crusade said:
PC gaming is dead anyway
nice. +1 for the Ratchet reference.

Anihawk said:
Nintendo games don't count because they always sell on Nintendo systems and only to Nintendo fans, who are the main reasons casual gaming is so popular and why hardcore gaming's dying.
:lol

golfclap.gif

Jonnyram said:
I don't know if you translated that by yourself, but the title and OP are well misleading. He says "mixed feelings", not "sad" or "a shame".
Baiting thread title > correct translations

SolidSnakex said:
Yeah so fugly.

Looks like a cute little kids game. He should really be making games for adults with a mature aesthetic. Shame to see such potential wasted on cartoonns.

Plinko said:
This. Getting more casual gamers into the stream may create more hardcore gamers in the future.

I love how Nintendo has unintentionally managed to bring discrimination into the gaming world. We now have the so-called "hardcore" developers and gamers slamming casual gamers every chance they get.

See also: white entitlement and the civil rights movement.

shinsnake

Banned
Safe Bet said:
There are plenty "high art" films that also appeal to the casual movie goers.

Why can't games do the same?

They do. They just appeal to a smaller demographic, like me, who plays both casual games and hardcore games.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
:lol @ comment and people wanting to shake this guys hand.

I hope Wii Fit creates a spawn of non-casual titles that is never ending just so this forum explodes every time one is announced.

AniHawk

k79 said:
As long as it doesn't affect "hardcore" games being made on ps3/360 i don't have a problem with them releasing casual/non-game/garbage on Wii.

It probably does affect hardcore games on the PS360. By uh... funding them.

The only known victim is Monster Hunter 3 anyway. And the White Engine sorta, too, I guess.

shinsnake

Banned
k79 said:

And I'm sure that casual gamers are okay with it too as long as releasing hardcore/brown/garbage/boring games on the PS3/360 doesn't affect them getting casual games on the Wii.

WoWcraft

Banned
This guy is the heart of the true gaming industry.

Is he going to be banned because he spoke a meme that isn't allowed?

shinsnake

Banned
Count Dookkake said:
Looks like a cute little kids game. He should really be making games for adults with a mature aesthetic. Shame to see such potential wasted on cartoonns.

See also: white entitlement and the civil rights movement.

Joke post, amirite?

Pistolero

In a sense, I agree. the Japanese market has changed to the point where ONLY casual games and some anime license games exhibit strong sales. What I fear is an implosion of creativity from big studios at the expense of an explosion of gadgets and fresh novelty gimmicks...
On the other hand, Europe and North America are so hungry for some outstanding japanese productions (resident Evil, Silent Hill...) that salvation would come from these territories.

Pistolero

What you are saying is Nintendo didn't put any time and effort into wiisports and wii fit, hell the entire wii line?

From a marketing point of view, Yes (A big YES !)..Otherwise, no ! Sorry...

ElFly

It's sad that Valkyria is not on the Wii!

Otherwise he could actually expect some of the people who bought Wii Fit to get Valkyria too :lol

Zoe

I agree. There's obviously a market for that genre, but there's just too much of it in proportion to "real" games.

<3 Valkyria.

shinsnake

Banned
Pistolero said:
In a sense, I agree. the Japanese market has changed to the point where ONLY casual games and some anime license games exhibit strong sales. What I fear is an implosion of creativity from big studios at the expense of an explosion of gadgets and fresh novelty gimmicks...
On the other hand, Europe and North America are so hungry for some outstanding japanese productions (resident Evil, Silent Hill...) that salvation would come from these territories.

Super Smash Bros. casual confirmed!

Top Bottom