• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria (PS3) Producer "Its sad that fanboys latch onto crappy translations.."

k79

Banned
shinsnake said:
Which really isn't what I said. I said casual gamers would be okay with hardcore games being made as long as it doesn't take away from their casual games getting made.

Yeah, my bad, i read it the wrong way.It's still valid what i said tho, just not in context to your reply.

Pistolero

Stormbringer said:
Says the man who basically entirely contradicts Miyamoto and Iwata, two of the most throughoutly justified personalities of the industry, on their current approach of the market.

Again, the approach does make a lot of sense form a business POV. They're riding with the tide of the casual gaming orgy that's taken over Japan (And other markets as well...). Kudos to them, seriously ! But I'm no financial analyst, I'm a gamer...and as a gamer, I'd prefer my preferred series to be created on platefroms that give room to express developers talents. I don't mind controlling some weired rabbits using a waggle to collect carrots from time to time, but that some heavy projects migrate towards a plateform that restrict teams' visions (technically and, sometimes, artistically...) is, I THINK a bit absurd.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
shinsnake said:
That would be Language training then because people can only respond to what they see. It's not their fault if the meaning was lost in translation.

Notmyproblem.jpg

gfdoom

norinrad21 said:
Sad thing is a lot of developers in Japan and to a lesser extent the west will have to close their doors because they refused to give the wii a chance by creating something new and fresh to accommodate the new group of gamers embracing the machine from all walks of life.

Anyway their loss. The wii has so much potential and they should embrace it or die

you want to know whats even more sad? more than half the people posting and praising this guy (and who own a ps3) are not even gonna buy Valkyria. because strategy games don't exactly blaze up the sales charts. And then who's fault will it be that the game didn't sell? Nintendo? causual games?

Pistolero said:
Again, the approach does make a lot of sense form a business POV. They're riding with the tide of the casual gaming orgy that's taken over Japan (And other markets as well...). Kudos to them, seriously ! But I'm no financial analyst, I'm a gamer...and as a gamer, I'd prefer my preferred series to be created on platefroms that give room to express developers talents. I don't mind controlling some weired rabbits using a waggle to collect carrots from time to time, but that some heavy projects migrate towards a plateform that restrict teams' visions (technically and, sometimes, artistically...) is, I THINK a bit absurd.

The wii when compared to the 360/PS3 gives developers more room to be creative and think outside of the box instead of trying to sell some of their games based on nice graphics with no fun at all whatsoever

unfortunately a lot of men will fall in this thread and i might just be one of them........sigh

shinsnake

Banned
norinrad21 said:
Just because his opinion differs from yours, thats makes him stupid right?

No, the fact that he thinks that people buying Wii Fit were ever going to buy his game in the first place makes it stupid.

We covered this on the first page by the way.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
You guys know that as a PS3 fan, I am pretty friendly to Nintendo gamers (especially since I think the DS is the best console ever made).

When I see a statement like this I am somewhat conflicted.

A) I am saddened that games like Wiifit sells, but I also want this type of game because it encourages fitness.

B) I love games like Valkyria Chronicles, but I also know that in Japan and the USA this game will inherently have limited sales because of the TYPE of RPG it is. If they made the game a straight up traditional RPG, this may have a chance of hitting it big. Since it is an RPG that isn't that kind, I don't expect insane sales.

Pistolero

The wii when compared to the 360/PS3 gives developers more room to be creative and think outside of the box instead of trying to sell some of their games based on nice graphics with no fun at all whatsoever

That is the echo of a marketing genius hold up. I'm afraid there's nothing revolutionnary with the Wii controller, at least, not a single game justifies having a waggle instead of regular controllers. Worst, all the games I've played begged to be manipulated regularly, with an old and proven configuration. The revolution, I think, is to come from the software sid of things (Physics, interaction, story telling, simple but addictive concepts ala Crush...). Nintendo has once shined in this field, but it's found a great pretext of not doing so anymore by claiming that a Wiimote would radically change the way tHE SAME OLD GAMES are played. That's obviously wrong...

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Pistolero said:
Mario Galaxy is the most creative game I've played in a long time. Probably Wii Sports before that.
Yes I own a 360.
I'd argue that creativity comes from limitations. All the best albums did. Most classic films and novels too.
Farenheit 451 was written on a "pay as you type" typewriter.
I'm not sure I've played a truly creative next gen game on any other console other than maybe Bioshock. Even that, was only in the storytelling and art direction... If I ignore Fallout and System Shock. Gameplay was pretty basic stuff. Oh yeah, portal. That graphical powerhouse. I almost forgot that one.
I don't really understand what would be limiting about the Wii from a creative aspect as compared to a traditional console.
I suspect no one involved in this discussion cares. they just want to troll eachother.
Pistolero said:
That is the echo of a marketing genius hold up. I'm afraid there's nothing revolutionnary with the Wii controller, at least, not a single game justifies having a waggle instead of regular controllers. Worst, all the games I've played begged to be manipulated regularly, with an old and proven configuration. The revolution, I think, is to come from the software sid of things (Physics, interaction, story telling, simple but addictive concepts ala Crush...). Nintendo has once shined in this field, but it's found a great pretext of not doing so anymore by claiming that a Wiimote would radically change the way tHE SAME OLD GAMES are played. That's obviously wrong...
Wii Fit says hi
Elebits says hi
Re4 played better on Wii
Metroid Prime 3 says hi
Hell, the only interesting thing about No More Heroes was the graphics and use of waggle.

why can't we all just get along? resistance is futile.

AniHawk

norinrad21 said:

This argument sucks. Graphics and creativity aren't mutually exclusive (Look at Portal, or even Half-Life 2 Episode 2). However, I am of the opinion that if you can't adapt to a new climate with relative ease, you probably weren't very creative in the first place.

JudgeN

norinrad21 said:
Sad thing is a lot of developers in Japan and to a lesser extent the west will have to close their doors because they refused to give the wii a chance by creating something new and fresh to accommodate the new group of gamers embracing the machine from all walks of life.

Anyway their loss. The wii has so much potential and they should embrace it or die

Yea third party developers don't make any money off PS360 games at all. Gotta love how people think they only way you can make money this generation is off the Wii. Time to cancel MGS4 and NGII if its not on the Wii its going to fail, offically confirmed on GAF.

Hcoregamer00

TunaLover said:
But Valkyria games sell so great, why he is complaining?

The first game wasn't even released yet, why do you assume there is more than two of them that will even come out?

norinrad21 said:
Yes Opoona and Dewey would have sold 500k each on both the PS3/360

You are right though, once you get fed a quality doses of Nintendo games, you can smell a shitty 3rd party game from miles away
ZACK AND WIKI MOTHERFUCKER.

NO MORE HEROES TOO.

Pistolero

I don't really understand what would be limiting about the Wii from a creative aspect as compared to a traditional console

It's not limiting per se...Innovation comes from software as I said. However :
1) Technology is incredibly important, whether you like it or not. Half-life 2 without its physics, graphics and facial expressions wouldn't have had the same impact.
2) If whatever crappy simplistic waggle driven game sells millions, WHY would any developer put time and effort into innovating that much on the Wii (nintendo would have some incentive of course...)...

polyh3dron said:
Playstation gamers have proven their 3rd party friendliness and when some worthwhile 3rd party exclusive games come out for the PS3, they will do well.

Nintendo gamers OTOH have proven their disdain for good 3rd party titles.

What?

Guitar Hero 3 - 2 million WW.
Resident Evil 4 - 1.2 million WW
Umbrella Chronicles - over 1 million WW
Rayman - over 1 million WW
Red Steel - over 1 million WW
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games - over 5 million WW
Sonic and the Secret Rings - nearly 1 million WW
No More Heroes - already over 100K in USA (and shipping 150K to Europe), smashing sales of any Suda game made.

Then you've got Dragon Quest, which sold 600K in Japan, Carnival Games, which sold 650K in USA, etc. I can keep going of course.

Anyone who claims 3rd party games are struggling on Wii really need to pay attention to sales charts.

Hcoregamer00

_Alkaline_ said:
What?

No More Heroes - already over 100K in USA (and shipping 150K to Europe), smashing sales of any Suda game made.

Then you've got Dragon Quest, which sold 600K in Japan, Carnival Games, which sold 650K in USA, etc. I can keep going of course.

Anyone who claims 3rd party games are struggling on Wii really need to pay attention to sales charts.

Agree, just imagine the sales if they got games on the level of Valkyria Chronicles in development.

Yeah, it would be so good that it would make these sales numbers look like crap.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Pistolero said:
It's not limiting per se...Innovation comes from software as I said. However :
1) Technology is incredibly important, whether you like it or not. Half-life 2 without its physics and facial expressions wouldn't have had much of an impact.
2) If whatever crappy simplistic waggle driven game sells millions, WHY would any developer put time and effort into innovating that much on the Wii (nintendo would have some incentive of course...)...
Fair points, but I'm not a business analyst. I'm a gamer.
Nintendo considers themselves a toy company. They make games. I consider games to be bullshit.
I think its INTERACTION that games need to focus on. Thats the strong point of the medium.

great directors "show instead of tell"
great writers focus on the storytelling
HL2 was pretty amazing at the time, but I don't think its fair to say that "innovation comes from software" and then note advances in hardware.
Sorry homeboy. I think there is room for the Wii along side the other guys.

Kyosuke

polyh3dron said:
ZACK AND WIKI MOTHERFUCKER.

NO MORE HEROES TOO.
You know, using niche games with (almost) no advertising to prove that third party Wii games don't sell isn't very convincing.

Oh, and nice edit.

Laguna

Banned
It´s always the same people here like making dumb claims without knowing what they are talking about. They just stick to prejudices and memes whichever go inline with their fanboydom. Most popular ones: 3rd Parties won´t ever sale on Nintendo hardware, or all sport games exclusive on Wii arent games :D

JudgeN

_Alkaline_ said:
What?

3rd party sales on the Wii are good but so are the 360 so whats the point of this list? 360 also has the benifit of microtransaction rape, to add even more money to third party pockets. If people are claiming the Wii 3rd party sales are better then 360 they are dreaming. PS3 had a slow start but the big games have done over 1M WW as well.

Kyosuke said:
You know, using niche games with (almost) no advertising to prove that third party Wii games don't sell isn't very convincing.

Oh, and nice edit.

It's funny too because NMH has absolutely smashed the sales of any Suda game made, and Zack and Wiki has performed solidly in Europe and has apparently sold over 200K (actually i think it might be nearing 250K) worldwide.

This is despite both games being incredibly unadvertised and (especially in Z&W's case) very niche. Besides, they're low budget which leaves more room for profit. It's really not that bad.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Pistolero said:
Sigh !

I beg to differ, sir !

Haven't tried the other two. But for each exemple you throw at me, I can come up with a dozen...
anyway, don't want to ruin the party. I'll leave it at that ! :D
You never played any of those games? You shouldn't be discussing the usefulness of the Wii remote if you only play the worst Wii games.

Sorry man, but this logic fails.

READ: Traditional Dual analoge controls are largely inferior to keyboard/mouse. It goes both ways.

And no one talk about NO MORE HEROES cuz that game largely sucked. Exept for the waggle and graphics ironically.

Zach and Wiki was sweet, but was DOOMED.

Nintendo gamers ARE prejudice, but thats a bad example.

Hcoregamer00

Laguna said:
It´s always the same people here like making dumb claims without knowing what they are talking about. They just stick to prejudices and memes whichever go inline with their fanboydom. Most popular ones: 3rd Parties won´t ever sale on Nintendo hardware, or all sport games exclusive on Wii arent games :D

At least Nintendo fans are taking the high rode and not resorting to console attacks.

I applaud you on that front.

JudgeN said:
3rd party sales on the Wii are good but so are the 360 so whats the point of this list? 360 also has the benifit of microtransaction rape, to add even more money to third party pockets. If people are claiming the Wii 3rd party sales are better then 360 they are dreaming. PS3 had a slow start but the big games have done over 1M WW as well.

But certainly not as many as the Wii.

Wi software sales can't compare to the 360 but to say that Wii 3rd party games don't sell is a completely unjustifiable opinion that displays a clear lack of research.

JudgeN said:
No one is saying 3rd parties are selling better on the Wii than the 360, but that doesn't mean that 3rd parties aren't selling at all on the Wii (which is what that list demonstrated)

OP said:
Nishino:There is a problem with the platforms .. I feel confused that games like Wii Fit sell.. They aren't games.. I did make some casual titles too.. But really.. Wii Fit and Wii Sports should be the gateway for the nongamers.. But ultimately they should play proper games like Valkyria Chronicles

Uhmmm....

Davidion

FINALLY, SOMEONE IN THE INDUSTRY WHO AGREES WITH ME! I DIDN'T KNOW WHO THE FUCK HE WAS TWO SECONDS AGO BEFORE BUT HE IS NOW MY HERO!

I like Valkyrie Chronicles too but the lot of you are so desperate for validation it's pathetic. :lol

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
:|
Makes me almost not want to buy Valkyria Chronicles.
I like the whole "I made some games like that too but...[they were dogshit?]"
Maybe I should read the original article.

Pistolero

HL2 was pretty amazing at the time, but I don't think its fair to say that "innovation comes from software" and then note advances in hardware

What I tried to drive home is that the experience doesn't rely on some peripheral stuff to get deeper and richer. I don't need holographic images to get a bon** (Though some people bought that before the Wii hit :D ), I don't necessarily dream of some voice activated avatar (imagine going through GTA shouting Bang ! Bang ! to get the guy to shoot pedestrians...Some would call it revolutionnary...but na !)...I need well thought concepts (Echochrome is good I think), Better told stories, more interaction, crafted characters...
A CPU and a GPU come in handy to help achiver this. Of course, this is my perspective...

* to the other guy : I played two of the games you mentionned...

Top Bottom