• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria (PS3) Producer "Its sad that fanboys latch onto crappy translations.."

Acosta

Gagaman said:
Can't both kinds of games just live in harmony? It's this kind of "don't go near my proper hardcore industry" bullshit that stopped comics from ever going beyond this so called hardcore that won't let anyone else in.

No, because it's not a game in first place. Is just a bunch of exercises with the appearance of a videogame to give them a context.

You can have fun doing spinning, freerunning, Karate or whatever, still is not a videogame, there is not an element of escapism or a test of ability. It's just a metagame firmly established in reality.

I propose Nintendo their next big thing: Wii Study. A virtual teacher will give you lessons in different academic fields and will examine you, evaluating your progress. I'm sure it will be a great "videogame" and sell millions.

Tom Penny

How is his game a proper game? I think he's just mad his game isn't going to sell. He shouldn't hate on other companies who know they're market and know how to make money off them.

klee123

Luckyman said:
So on which platfrom would Valkyria sell the best?

Wii? Uh no.
360? Uh no.

Realistically, the game would probably sell the best on PS2 in Japan and I'd agree that the 360 and the Wii aren't better alternatives compared to the PS3.

jarrod said:
PS2. DS in a pinch.

Even splitting the risk by going PS360 multi would've been better honestly.

Yet, idolmaster, rumble roses XX and others remains as 360 exclusives.

sakuragi

Banned
jarrod said:
PS2. DS in a pinch.

Even splitting the risk by going PS360 multi would've been better honestly.

I didn't know the DS could handle this type of game gameplay and graphics wise on the DS. maybe on the PS2 if it was downgraded. Luckily for us, some developers would rather make the game they want to make instead of making a side game and putting it on the Wii and DS just to make a quick buck.

Thank god for FF13 being on the PS3 instead of the DS :lol

Acosta

Davidion said:
Have you played wii fit? There's a boat load of practical applications for the board alone in traditional gaming.

Yes, and the problem is not the board, the problem is Wii Fit and the notion that is a videogame, effectively competing with other proper videogames in the same space.

MisterHero

DearNintendoHater.jpg

jarrod

Banned
klee123 said:
Yet, idolmaster, rumble roses XX and others remains as 360 exclusives.
There was no other choice really when those games released. It's like asking why Soul Calibur and PowerStone were DC exclusives in 1999.

I've no clue why TIM hasn't seen a PS3 release in some form since though, outside the (very questionable) rumors about SCEI rejecting it.

kurosawa

dude said:
So basically he said: "Buy my game instead of this other game"

A selfless hero, protector of games.

well, he convinced me (i'm very influentiable): i have a wii, i don't have a ps3, but i'll buy Valkyria and walk around with it just so everyone knows i'm a real gamer! (i think it's working already... i'm feeling it)

jibblypop

Banned
Acosta said:
still is not a videogame, there is not an element of escapism or a test of ability.

In Wiifit you go Ski jumping. So are you saying that is reality? like people are always ski jumping in their living room?
The whole game tests your abilities too. You have to try to get better at each event.

Davidion

Acosta said:
Yes, and the problem is not the board, the problem is Wii Fit and the notion that is a videogame, effectively competing with other proper videogames in the same space.

It very much is a video game, the controls are merely done by foot.

The ball drop puzzles and the skiing games alone works on this premise.

Ramenman

Acosta said:
No, because it's not a game in first place. Is just a bunch of exercises with the appearance of a videogame to give them a context.

You can have fun doing spinning, freerunning, Karate or whatever, still is not a videogame, there is not an element of escapism or a test of ability. It's just a metagame firmly established in reality.

I propose Nintendo their next big thing: Wii Study. A virtual teacher will give you lessons in different academic fields and will examine you, evaluating your progress. I'm sure it will be a great "videogame" and sell millions.

I assume you do know there is ski and ski jump games, along with a monkeyball clone and stuff. And if you don't I assume someone has brought up to you in these 6 pages that WiiFit also has games apart from the physic exercises it's gonna be sold for.

I guess bitterness never gets old.

kurosawa

Acosta said:

Oh, and what do you think of 'Home'?

jarrod

Banned
sakuragi said:
I didn't know the DS could handle this type of game gameplay and graphics wise on the DS. maybe on the PS2 if it was downgraded. Luckily for us, some developers would rather make the game they want to make instead of making a side game and putting it on the Wii and DS just to make a quick buck.
A DS Valkria would need to be basically redone ground up in 2D and the TPS mechanics would need a major revisioning or even replacing. It'd be an almost different game entirely, I'd agree... but I don't think a DS Valkyria SRPG is an alltogether unattractive proscept either.

I like how you suddenly transformed 'PS2' to 'Wii' for the quick buck part though. Keep fighting the good fight. :lol

MisterHero

Hey you guys should play some Battalion Wars.

Sure "Valkyria Chronicles" has Fire Emblem-like custom characters and story, but it also shares some of Battalion Wars' gameplay. Minus the animu themes though.

Play it sometime.

Davidion

Ramenman said:
I assume you do know there is ski and ski jump games, along with a monkeyball clone and stuff. And if you don't I assume someone has brought up to you in these 6 pages that WiiFit also has games apart from the physic exercises it's gonna be sold for.

No surprise, then, that everyone criticizing wiifit has no idea what it actually is. :lol

klee123

jarrod said:
There was no other choice really when those games released. It's like asking why Soul Calibur and PowerStone were DC exclusives in 1999.

I've no clue why TIM hasn't seen a PS3 release in some form since though, outside the (very questionable) rumors about SCEI rejecting it.

I'd say MS may have locked up TIM as an exclusive, just like how they kept Ace Combat 6 from going to the PS3(they even stated during TGS last year that the 360 is the only system to have AC6).

Sega is also a company known to make exclusive games for a system too, I mean look at all of those exclusive Sega X-box games from last gen.

Acosta

Ramenman said:

Yes, bitterness, :lol

If you think something like the the ski jump games validate Wii Fit as a videogame, the problem is yours, not mine.

Ponn

Banned
rezuth said:
I think its sad that people can't accept that times are changing.

Oh i'm just fine with Wii being a pit of the same old Nintendo games and casual-fest of Carnival Games, Brain Training, Wiifitting and Petz.

It's when that shit starts taking over the other two consoles that things will start hitting the fans. That's what has some people worried.

farnham

Banned
Acosta said:

Define game... because just stating that wii fit is not already a game because its fun is not an explanation why wii fit is not a game.. its only a critique to the assumption "Wii fit is a game because its fun"

your argumentation still lacks just as the argumentation you criticize... games and fun are not mutually exclusive

Acosta said:

they already did it.. its called big brain academy wii degree

ElFly

I somehow don't see people not buying Valkyria because of Wii Fit.

If the game sells bad, it is because the market doesn't want that kind of games, Wii Fit or not.

Acosta said:

Hey, would you be kind enough to define the bolded?

I've been playing videogames for almost 30 years. Some have included: Pong, Pac Man, Super Mario, King's Quest, and Phantasy Star. These have enough differences in design, content and goal to allow the inclusion of WiiFit.

Unless of course you have a working definition of videogame and non-game that can refute this.

Acosta said:
Is not a videogame, it´s a social network.

So why is Sony spending resources that could be spent on proper hardcore true real videogames?

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Paracelsus said:
Yeah, because you can totally compare the quality and the fanbase of Fire Emblem to the one of Disgaea.

IIRC, Donny or Joshua numbers showed that Fire Emblem : Radiant Dawn on Wii sold considerably more than Path or Radiance on Gamecube, and it's already looking for Disgaea 3 to sell moderately less than Disgaea 1 or 2 (with no chance in hell of getting anywhere near Radiant Dawn's sales). :)

I'll admit I would rather see Disgaea 3 do well (I don't want Nippon Icchi going out of business!) but I don't share the same strong feelings for this title, only I hope for continued SRPG games in this aspect. And btw, looking forward to Disgaea _____ DS! :D

Acosta

farnham said:
Define game... because just stating that wii fit is not already a game because its a game is not an explanation why wii fit is not a game.. its only a critique to the assumption "Wii fit is a game because its fun"

your argumentation still lacks just as the argumentation you criticize... games and fun are not mutually exclusive

they already did it.. its called big brain academy wii degree

Sorry, don´t understand the first part. About second, big brain academy is just an evolution of Brain Training. My proposal was more academic (given this notion of everything is valid for being called a videogame as far as you include some interactive entertainment sightly related to a real activity).

Whatever, I am not going to discuss it anymore. I am just a random guy from the Internet expressing an opinion, is not that important. If some of you want to disagree or throw rotten tomatoes to me, be my guest.

Haunted

And all that mess for a mistranslated thread title. >_<

Well, I for one welcome our new Wii Fit overlords. :D

klee123

vanguardian1 said:
IIRC, Donny or Joshua numbers showed that Fire Emblem : Radiant Dawn on Wii sold considerably more than Path or Radiance on Gamecube, and it's already looking for Disgaea 3 to sell moderately less than Disgaea 1 or 2 (with no chance in hell of getting anywhere near Radiant Dawn's sales). :)

I'll admit I would rather see Disgaea 3 do well (I don't want Nippon Icchi going out of business!) but I don't share the same strong feelings for this title, only I hope for continued SRPG games in this aspect. And btw, looking forward to Disgaea _____ DS! :D

Didn't Disgaea 3 sold similar numbers to the first Disgaea tho? I mean considering the userbase difference between the PS2 and the PS3, it's not too bad.

Tom Penny

People need to just accept the fact the the Wii gimmick has worked and it's not going away anytime soon but in the realm of gaming it will go down in history like Disco to music.

Aeris130

TAFKAA said:
Wow! After reading all these posts here.... did this guy killed some Nintendo-guy in Japan?

No, it's Nintendo that does the killing this gen. Killing the industry.

And the guy quoted in the op is bitter since Wiifit has diminished his chances of making a killing on his upcoming title.

Meanwhile a thousand Gaf warriors descend upon one another in vain, only so that a single survivor can earn Kutaragis praise.

farnham

Banned
Acosta said:
Sorry, don´t understand the first part. About second, big brain academy is just an evolution of Brain Training. My proposal was more academic (given this notion of everything is valid for being called a videogame as far as you include some interactive entertainment sightly related to a real activity).

Whatever, I am not going to discuss it anymore. I am just a random guy from the Internet expressing an opinion, is not that important. If some of you want to disagree or throw rotten tomatoes to me, be my guest.
the first part was edited ->

Define game... because just stating that wii fit is not already a game because its fun is not an explanation why wii fit is not a game.. its only a critique to the assumption "Wii fit is a game because its fun"

what i meant was

you are right when you say

the assumption that everything that is fun is a game is wrong...

and you did back up your opinion with solid examples (eating fun might be fun.. its not a game)

but yet again.. that does not mean that your statement is proving that wii fit is not a game..

Haunted

Segata Sanshiro said:
Ah good, TAFKAA's here. I was just thinking how this thread needed a visit from GAF's newest little S-tard.
now now, just because he's new doesn't mean he- *looks at post history*

Holy shit.

birdchili

given his game isn't even *playable* on the platform that wii fit is on, he's not really put his game in a position to legitimately compete with fit.

as a percentage of the console-owning population, dual-console ownership percentages are still tiny.

there are a lot of reasons that a stylized srpg isn't going to sell gangbusters on the ps3, but fit is pretty far down the list.

i do wish his game well... it might be the first released ps3 game for which i actually wish i had a ps3 to play.

NinjaFromTheFuture said:
You guys may be getting the wrong impression. Seems to me he means to say developers should be making proper games that appeal to non-gamers, not making non-games for non-gamers. And that is the sad direction that the industry seems to be heading in.

In a way I think you're right, but in a way I think the Wii is selling to mostly a one-time audience. Yes, the younger demographic that is attracted to the Wii will progress to the next generation of Nintendo (or Sony or MS) consoles as they seek deeper experiences. But the people buying Wii only for Wii Sports or things like Wii Fit are not the type of consumers that are going to go "Oh, Super Wii is coming out - I must get in line to get one" because the experience that they are attracted to on the Wii is not going to fundamentally change.

Top Bottom