• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VALVE fires DOTA tourney host, Gabe Newell calls the host "an ass" publicly on Reddit

V_Arnold

Because Starcraft is dead.
Not like that has anything to do with the personality in question, right?

LoL is the biggest Dota-like, and they have intense policing and professionalism. It exists for people who want that. Dota's esport was built on the back of a grassroots community, and you can't exploit the same community and then throw it by the wayside because you wake up one day and want to be ESPN.

Indeed, this is why I find LoL the most welcoming to watch, they are very professional.

Sibylus

Banned
Eh.. There's also chance that they(KeyTV) did that.
Screwjob doesn't necessarily imply clean mistakes
hush.gif

Justinh

Ah...

Ohhh, okay. I see that now. It looked like a metal bar for mounting a camera or something to me.

That's what I assumed at first too. This is getting juicier and juicier.
Also "Shanghai Screwjob" sounds like something you have to ask for in the "backroom."

juicier and juicier...

Sibylus

Banned
Beyond The Summit's (dota broadcaster) k-poptosis weighs in on a few things on the reddit thread:

I'm not interested in going line by line with responding to this, but the statement that the gear was upgraded when they left is just false. The production today is being run on the same gear that they had available except for the headsets, which they took with them. We actually had worse headsets yesterday due to them leaving with them but have much better versions today.
The original headsets were indeed even more subpar, but no other equipment was changed.
To be clear I'm here consulting and putting out fires when they flare up but AFAIK the current production team is MarsTVs LoL squad
Yes (MarsTV's Dota squad is managing the Chinese stream)
https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/47zrfl/keytv_response_to_getting_fired/d0gh7n7

sephi22

New update from 2GD:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iZLBKZQQS1qz-khUkuY0AdzA8Nw6au3WrnhB8YF0rDg/edit?usp=sharing

TL;DR From Reddit:
TL;DR (an attempt at a real one):
James is touched by all the support he's received. RIP 2GD video
He has been, and hopefully will continue to work on Dota 2. He has mostly been doing off-camera things. He also hopes valve's decision isn't final.
One of the things he did was work on 'the PGL Pro-Am powered by Twitch' which offered a $50,000 prize pool. He wanted to support up and coming teams by providing them with prize money before the main event. Many teams earned their first ever tournament winnings here. It was a big success.
He says the GD studio doesn't do as much camera stuff for Dota since the other studios have it pretty much covered (BTS, JD, ESL, DH)
Twitch has flown him out to meet with them, while there he hopes to work on a caster's union and get a kickstarter up if people would like to support the GD studio.
Private bathrooms for everyone.
Support his game.
Thanks to everyone. Feel free to contact him: james@2gd.me

Top Bottom