• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VALVE fires DOTA tourney host, Gabe Newell calls the host "an ass" publicly on Reddit

The whole situation is way too surreal.
James "2GD" Harding is(was?) a DOTA 2 caster/personality, especially known for his... "rude"ish commentary. That aside, he was famous enough in the scene, and has lots of fans.
In the past few days, he was working as the host for the Shanghai DOTA 2 Major, a Valve sponsored tournament. After a few wonky days of streaming(apparently the producing company's fault), he tweeted that he was let go by Valve.
CAYNwgm.png

Reddit's /dota2/, twitch and other forums went up in flames, as always.
But today, just an hour or so ago, Gabe Newell, the man himself, posted this on /dota2/:
S44xFj4.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/47sc46/update_from_the_shanghai_major/

Harsh words from the CEO of such a big company. Especially considering Valve's way of rarely talking with the community.

2GD also recently replied to that thread
S6ZUQXI.png

So drama is currently unfolding and growing.

Call me an ass and fire me if old.

Update:
James posted this huge text with his side of the whole shtick.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1B061Rs4gw4zkCec35Q5v2r576e_Jd6pJfrT_5_GZ74I/preview

AlI0V1S.png

Apparently it was Icefrog, the main piece behind DOTA, that told him to "be yourself".

James also said that this segment was the reason for his firing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-7GmWF4cmQ

There's a lot more at the google doc, some is useless to the whole matter at hand, but some is really interesting.

More drama.

8749Vav.jpg

The legend of the Shanghai Screwjob only grows.

Bacon

Don't know much about the DOTA 2 pro scene but that seems awfully unprofessional of Gabe to call him out in a public forum like that.

Trace

Banned
Man I can't wait to hear James' side of the story on this one.

You have to fuck up big time to have GabeN publicly insult you.

Warxard

Banned
Says a lot when FGC commentary is more professional than DOTA commentary these days

Fuck that dude. He is truly an asshole.

theRizzle

Supposedly Bruno was the Valve employee who was advocating for him to come back? I never liked Yames really. I always found him to be overly casual on camera.

NewGame

Banned
Dota players are scum with microphones, what makes you think they would be worth listening to in the first place.

gb2HoN

Trace

Banned
Supposedly Bruno was the Valve employee who was advocating for him to come back? I never liked Yames really. I always found him to be overly casual on camera.

IMO Valve needs a complete change of their casters. The difference between the professionalism of a LoL cast and a Dota 2/CS:GO cast is immense.

imBask

Banned
the guy in charge of a multi billion dollar company just called someone an ass on reddit, what a time to be alive

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
haha, this is pretty juicy.
I can see why valve takes the presentation of dota events so seriously though.

gai_shain

Lets see what he says when he releases his statement, not sure how he thinks its okay to call players autistic for example.

OP do you maybe want to mention why Gabe newell called him an ass?

That's the thing, we still don't know. It could have been something that happened entirely back-stage.
James is supposed to "tell his side of the history" today/tomorrow, but aside that I doubt we'll ever get Valve's side.

You think Valve gives a shit about competitive CSGO

Didn't they push up the CS:GO's majors to 1 million dollars?

Good news that the production company for Shanghai will also be fired. It's been a disaster so far, and wouldnt be acceptable on a small event, much less one of the largest DOTA 2 events of the year.

botty

Banned
My experience with this community has been uncontrollable racism and hate. What these people did to the innocent citizens of Peru is racial bludgeoning.

XAL

lol "told to be myself"

dota casting - and its community - needs an overhaul

When you kick off the cast on day 1 and within the first 15 seconds of speaking you say "cunt" and insult someone...you're probably an unprofessional ass.

Calling him a douchebag is the kindest thing you say about the guy.

He has no place at any professional event.

Gaben was 1000% correct shitcanning him, publicly even.

But hey ho reddit circlejerk bring back 1gd plz he's so edgy.

Logash

When you kick off the cast on day 1 and within the first 15 seconds of speaking you say "cunt" and insult someone...you're probably an unprofessional ass.

Calling him a douchebag is the kindest thing you say about the guy.

He has no place at any professional event.
Did he really? Wow...

theRizzle

IMO Valve needs a complete change of their casters. The difference between the professionalism of a LoL cast and a Dota 2/CS:GO cast is immense.

I've never really watched a LoL match so I can't comment on the casters but a lot of the Dota people should be better for the high profile events they're casting. I always really like Merlini when he's on though. Perfect balance of knowledge, hype and professionalism for me.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
From reading up a little and my loose understanding, he was the sort of 'rude' announcer type, but many found him entertaining. However, some of his comments may have gone to far, IE it seems he would call players doing badly, 'autistic,' and would make jabs about personal details of the player, and not in a particularly friendly way. I see some mentions on the calling people 'autistic' thing that he called out one of the players who has a mentally-handicapped brother in real life, and making fun of him about that.

I haven't seen any of this or watch this stuff, but this is what I picked up by skim reading around a bit out of curiosity. Correct me if I misunderstood something.

Top Bottom