• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VALVE fires DOTA tourney host, Gabe Newell calls the host "an ass" publicly on Reddit

TheYanger

When you kick off the cast on day 1 and within the first 15 seconds of speaking you say "cunt" and insult someone...you're probably an unprofessional ass.

Calling him a douchebag is the kindest thing you say about the guy.

He has no place at any professional event.

Gaben was 1000% correct shitcanning him, publicly even.

But hey ho reddit circlejerk bring back 1gd plz he's so edgy.

I mean, he's done plenty of these kinds of things before with Valve, if they don't want him there they shouldn't invite him in the first place.

Edit: for the record, I agree that shit has no place, but it's not like this is a surprise, so it's still funny to see Gabe react this way.

Jintor

From reading up a little and my loose understanding, he was the sort of 'rude' announcer type, but many found him entertaining. However, some of his comments may have gone to far, IE it seems he would call players doing badly, 'autistic,' and would make jabs about personal details of the player, and not in a particularly friendly way. I see some mentions on the calling people 'autistic' thing that he called out one of the players who has a mentally-handicapped brother in real life, and making fun of him about that.

I haven't seen any of this or watch this stuff, but this is what I picked up by skim reading around a bit out of curiosity.

yeah, okay, if that's all true... dump his dumb ass

woodland

IMO Valve needs a complete change of their casters. The difference between the professionalism of a LoL cast and a Dota 2/CS:GO cast is immense.

I'd rather toss myself into the hudson than listen to professional casts, they're the least entertaining thing ever if you actually know the game

CHC

I mean the guy does sound like an ass. I'm generally skeptical of anyone who is eager to announce they've just been fired in Twitter, I don't think it's a very responsible or mature move in 99.9% of cases.

I think Gabe responding is just him bringing the proverbial hammer down on the drama. I mean really, what are you going to say to that? He's an ass, they fired him, end of story. It might not be 100% professional but it sure clears the air.

low-G

My hot take:

Gabe is so above PR now. They are king of their domain. They can shit the bed and people eat it up. Gabe is the Trump of PC, only moreso (and not at all in the evil zone, by far, yet).

That caster guy is a fucking ass. More assholes need to be publicly vaporized.

TheYanger

"Let's not put ALL of the blame on James"

Thanks, or read what I'm saying: You can't hire someone wanting them to do exactly what they've always done, and then be indignantly surprised when they do it. So, in this case, no, none of the blame is on him.

Know how you avoid the situation? Don't hire the guy you know acts like an ass in the first place. Promote casters that aren't toxic in an effort to make the community less accepting of that kind of thing all around. League is infinitely more professional.

eMpTy23

lower standards overall

1. He's a journalist.

2. It was with a DotA player. A DotA player who instigated it when they are at odds by engaging him behind the scenes.

3. It wasn't a fight and was over as soon as it started.

4. Lose the attitude. DotA community isn't any better than LoL or CS communities.

Really want to know what happened. James is great :/ I guess he can be an ass sometimes but I never felt like he ever took it too far or anything. Dude just liked to fuck around sometimes. The rest of the panel are kind of devoid of any personality when casting.

Guess it's all perspective though.

I'm sure he'd have to have said something fucked for them to just fire him so suddenly.

Oh the caster in question made fun of a player's mentally handicapped brother and also uses as "autism" as perjorative.

lol that's always a great way to create a shitty enviroment for players.

Didn't a CSGO caster get into a fist fight with a player and still get invited back?

Da fuck

Loda, the player, was just as much in the wrong as Richard Lewis, the caster was. He and his gf legit snuck into an entirely separate area for production talent just to confront RLewis over a misunderstood twitter joke. He definitely shouldn't have touched Loda, but the police didn't even think the whole debacle was worth pursuing.

lol "told to be myself"

dota casting - and its community - needs an overhaul

Yep.

Yes GAF, it is possible to be professional, good at what you do AND entertaining all at the same time. Without being a dickhead.

Hopefully someone with a dream to cast and the silver tongue to do it gets found because if anything about James is true, it's that he was almost singularly responsible for the entertainment and energy on the commentator panel. It IS important to have someone entertaining on a panel if you're going to cut to panels for 15 minute chunks of time. They just need to find someone who can do that without being a cunt.

As I said in the main thread, when GABE NEWELL HIMSELF descends from his heavenly throne to bust your shit, you really fucked up. Best of luck to him. I'm sure he'll have opportunities to cast non-Major events in the Dota2 world. Or maybe he'll just want to move on completely. He did get nuked from high orbit by the most important single person in the world of PC gaming.

Warxard

Banned
Thanks, or read what I'm saying: You can't hire someone wanting them to do exactly what they've always done, and then be indignantly surprised when they do it. So, in this case, no, none of the blame is on him.

Know how you avoid the situation? Don't hire the guy you know acts like an ass in the first place. Promote casters that aren't toxic in an effort to make the community less accepting of that kind of thing all around. League is infinitely more professional.

Why are you so adamant on promoting the obvious

You don't think a multimillion dollar company is aware of the fuck ups that they make? Surely someone would chime that into Valve's head that "maybe this wasn't a good idea."

Im pretty sure you can put the blame and criticize someone being a shithead on a stream when they're promoting something

I mean he signed a contract likely

Yep. It's video games, why is it supposed to be "professional"

Because Valve's selling a product first and foremost. You don't sell products with your dick out.

Hylian7

Yep.

Yes GAF, it is possible to be professional, good at what you do AND entertaining all at the same time. Without being a dickhead.

Hopefully someone with a dream to cast and the silver tongue to do it gets found because if anything about James is true, it's that he was almost singularly responsible for the entertainment and energy on the commentator panel. It IS important to have someone entertaining on a panel if you're going to cut to panels for 15 minute chunks of time. They just need to find someone who can do that without being a cunt.

As I said in the main thread, when GABE NEWELL HIMSELF descends from his heavenly throne to bust your shit, you really fucked up. Best of luck to him. I'm sure he'll have opportunities to cast non-Major events in the Dota2 world. Or maybe he'll just want to move on completely. He did get nuked from high orbit by the most important single person in the world of PC gaming.
Basically this. I still want to hear James's statement, but I think it's fairly safe to assume he majorly fucked up if Gabe himself says something, which is extremely rare in and of itself.

Oh the caster in question made fun of a player's mentally handicapped brother and also uses as "autism" as perjorative.

There's being yourself and there's being an ass, which is what he did.

I have a brother with autism so this hurts me.

Zaptruder

Banned
So, dude was a rude bully type that some people found amusing?

I think as a general rule of thumb, catering to your worst audience generally reduces the overall quality of your enterprise.

MtSHmDW.png

KarmaCow

Yikes, I guess that video on the first page was him holding back to be more professional then.

This seems very much like a Jeremy Clarkson situation.

AKA the person in question seemed like a complete ass that was despised by their employer, but people love the personality so they garner a lot of support off the back of that.

From what I've seen, he seems like a jerk, but then again, I don't follow Dota 2 professionally at all, so y'all would have to let me know if this was excusable behavior on his part or not.

Top Bottom