• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vampire MMO World of Darkness to appear at EVE fanfest - CCP

pants

blast to highsec if old

We'll catch a "tiny" glimpse of vampire MMO World of Darkness at this year's Eve Online Fanfest in late April, maker CCP has told me.

The secretive MMO is being played internally, CCP CEO Hilmar Veigar Pétursson said, and has benefited from the restructuring that once looked like it had killed the project.

"It's going on very nicely," he told me. "A great example of focus and clearer priorities.

"We're playing it internally at CCP. It's actually a problem that some of our employees are losing themselves already in the World of Darkness as we go through the playtests.

"And we'll be showing a tiny piece of that also at Fanfest. So that is all I have to say about that at this time."

The last we heard of World of Darkness was in summer 2012 when the game was classed as in "active development".

The game's senior producer Chris McDonough had, months earlier at Fanfest 2012, taken to the stage to proclaim the project not dead after restructuring at CCP seemed to hit the World of Darkness Atlanta office hardest.

McDonough offered some detail about the game as well. He said it will feature real-world city locations like London, Paris and New York, and will be built on a sandbox philosophy with deep political systems that can put player Princes in charge of cities.

Those Princes will also have the power to inflict permadeath on other players, gulp.

There will be complex hand-to-hand combat and blood will be used as a currency. Inspiration is being drawn from Vampire: The Masquerade.
w
Eurogamer

Thought it was dead, glad to hear it's still a thing

sflufan

Banned
Saw it on /v/ just a few days ago. Can't remember the name and don't really know if it actually have anything to do with VTM but it looked awful.

It has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with VtM:B - nothing at all.

People are just making the connection because it's a vampire game in a modern setting.

Acosta

Another "tiny" glimpse? Me had that the last year, I have been waiting this forever :(

But I will keep waiting, that's for sure. It´s one of my most wanted games I know nothing about.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Why did White Wolf have to merge with CCP? They seem worst company to handle a franchise like this. i have a feeling the game is going to be complete train wreck.

Midou

Sounds pretty awesome. If hand to hand combat really is that good, and I've always wanted an MMO to use something like that Prince concept.

cj_iwakura

Why did White Wolf have to merge with CCP? They seem worst company to handle a franchise like this. i have a feeling the game is going to be complete train wreck.

I don't think WW had a whole lot of say, but I wish it hadn't happened either. CCP pretty much destroyed their publishing arm.

Sounds fantastic and as much as I don't care for playing Eve the hardcore community they have built from that game and the stories we hear of their exploits is pretty amazing.

Really curious what kinda of combat system they'll adopt.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssplzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It sounds like a lot of players are required for the game to work. That didn't turn out so well for Warhammer.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
While EVE attracts more sociopaths than I've ever seen an MMO attract, the option of being able to rule a city and permadeath other players and not just their ships/pods is gonna steal the glory, if the game ever takes off. For me, like EVE, it'll be something that's fun to watch and hear all the drama about but boring and masochistic to actually play.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It sounds like a lot of players are required for the game to work. That didn't turn out so well for Warhammer.

If the internal playtest sessions are as addictive as they say, even a small population won't have trouble sustaining the game.

pants

While EVE attracts more sociopaths than I've ever seen an MMO attract, the option of being able to rule a city and permadeath other players and not just their ships/pods is gonna steal the glory, if the game ever takes off. For me, like EVE, it'll be something that's fun to watch and hear all the drama about but boring and masochistic to actually play.

I think this one may actually be fun to play + have those amazing EVE like player driven drama

I think it'll be more of a social simulator than a game, or more pointedly, a social simulator with game elements.

Simplet

I've never understood how those people are apparently the only ones who understand that putting the players in charge of the game is the future of gaming, and the only thing that would make a MMO playable.

God knows I don't play EVE, but at least I can see myself playing something like that in the future once they make it actually fun. You couldn't pay me enough money to make me spend hours clicking dragons to death and running errands for fictional characters.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I've never understood how those people are apparently the only ones who understand that putting the players in charge of the game is the future of gaming, and the only thing that would make a MMO playable.

God knows I don't play EVE, but at least I can see myself playing something like that in the future once they make it actually fun. You couldn't pay me enough money to make me spend hours clicking dragons to death and running errands for fictional characters.

SOE has said the next Everquest is being developed in that direction.

if it's White Wolf's World of Darkness, that would include Vampire the Masquerade, Werewolf: the Apocalypse and Wraith too right?! :D

danmaku

if it's White Wolf's World of Darkness, that would include Vampire the Masquerade, Werewolf: the Apocalypse and Wraith too right?! :D

Yes, but for now they're focusing on the vampires. The entire WoD would be too much to implement at once (oh, and there's also Mage: The Ascension and Hunter: The Reckoning!). Wraith could be insanely awesome, though, even if I don't know how could they model some of its quirks. Haunting other players' dreams? yes plz!

marrec

Banned

It seems to be that it would be impossible to put Mage into an MMO form, but Vampire and Warewolf and Hunter are a given no doubt.

I really hope they do Mage at some point too...

Complex hand to hand? weren't they talking about very much a non combat focus before the restructuring?

Sounds like the game totally shifted styles, which could be good.

Top Bottom