• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vampire MMO World of Darkness to appear at EVE fanfest - CCP

Gintamen

Reducing that ability to only the leaders of a place sounds awesome, something people will want to achieve, by any means possible.

Obsidian would have been a far better choice for this and would have made a regular RPG
Oh Boy! I can't wait for all the spreadsheets and calculations over minor, irrelevant things and making Vampires boring just like they made flying around in star-ships boring.

There's having depth and there's giving me a second job. One job is enough thank you.

Xiaoki

Cant wait to see how this turns out but I also highly doubt that I will play it.

Its the combat that has me worried the most. CCP might be adept at programming "Complex hand to hand combat" as they are "First person shooter".

After playing Dust 514 Im not sure how well CCP operates outside of their Ship simulation comfort zone.

CCP consists of three different studios currently, the one making WoD is not the one that made Dust 514 and that studio isn't the one that made/maintains Eve.

Sullen

Why did White Wolf have to merge with CCP? They seem worst company to handle a franchise like this. i have a feeling the game is going to be complete train wreck.

I can't think of any other developer that could handle world of darkness properly. Any other mmo dev would have turned it into a soft care bear mess. World of darkness needs to be fucked up, violent, and have lasting consequences for players. Anything else isn't true to the IP.

KKRT00

Obsidian would have been a far better choice for this and would have made a regular RPG
Oh Boy! I can't wait for all the spreadsheets and calculations over minor, irrelevant things and making Vampires boring just like they made flying around in star-ships boring.

There's having depth and there's giving me a second job. One job is enough thank you.

For how long have You played EVE?

And no, this universe is better suited for polical based MMO than any other and we had RPGs already.

--
Dust 514 is F2P though?

Oh come on, do I really need to explain the difference?

pants

I dont think I'd want to be a prince, I'd wrangle in the background to get a puppet prince in place yes, but I would not want the notoriety that a top line role brings.

ThatGuy

CCP consists of three different studios currently, the one making WoD is not the one that made Dust 514 and that studio isn't the one that made/maintains Eve.

CCP has actually four different studios:

CCP Iceland - HQ, Development on all Titles but mainly EVE
CCP Atlanta - WoD Main Studio
CCP Shanghai - Dust 514 Main Studio and Create Assets for other Titles as well
CCP Newcastle - Specialized Technology Group of CCP mainly working on Dust 514 right now

The idea of a few powerful players (Princes) having the ability to permakill whomever they'd like is far from appealing. My guess is the intent is to force the population to give a genuine respect to the power of the Princes as well as making the position of Prince a heavily coveted role but what keeps me attached in an MMO is the connection I build overtime with my character. If all of my time and progress can be erased in a moment at the whim of a single person, why should I ever truly invest in the character?

Also, intricate hand to hand combat may sound great but I really don't see how it can be implemented and still be fun. I'm reminded of AoC's overly complicated combat system of multi-direction attacks + multi-directional defending and it was just too much crap to try to focus on and pretty much impossible to manage in more than a 1v1 exchange.

Of course, I'll keep up with the progress of this and reserve my decision until I see more of how these systems are intended to work.. but as of now, I don't like what I'm hearing.

Simplet

The idea of a few powerful players (Princes) having the ability to permakill whomever they'd like is far from appealing. My guess is the intent is to force the population to give a genuine respect to the power of the Princes as well as making the position of Prince a heavily coveted role but what keeps me attached in an MMO is the connection I build overtime with my character. If all of my time and progress can be erased in a moment at the whim of a single person, why should I ever truly invest in the character?

I don't imagine they will have the ability to just click a button and erase someone anywhere in the game. Most probably it will be some kind of high punishment and involve long expensive rituals and stuff.

I think it's actually a really interesting idea, because then you'll surely have some system to try to capture people "alive" so you can try them, and the decision to perma-kill someone will probably have a lot of consequences.

I don't imagine they will have the ability to just click a button and erase someone anywhere in the game. Most probably it will be some kind of high punishment and involve long expensive rituals and stuff.

I think it's actually a really interesting idea, because then you'll surely have some system to try to capture people "alive" so you can try them, and the decision to perma-kill someone will probably have a lot of consequences.

I would hope there would be a limit but there just isn't enough info at the moment. I haven't completely written off the game, I'm just not excited about those propositions at this point.

Why is it the first thing people ask now? I don't get it...

F2P makes people feel safer to give the game a shot. People are willing to try new game experiences because the payoff can be incredibly enjoyable. However paying up front for MMO's has proven to be a waste of money in many cases since MMO's have a much lower rate of living up to their advertised promises.

Protocol7

(...)F2P makes people feel safer to give the game a shot. People are willing to try new game experiences because the payoff can be incredibly enjoyable. However paying up front for MMO's has proven to be a waste of money in many cases since MMO's have a much lower rate of living up to their advertised promises.

Ok but the mechanics behind F2P are usually bad and abusive at some point (there are some exceptions yes)... and what's 10/13$ a month, I'm not rich, but it's not much if the service is there. What bothers me is that now people think that F2P is the way to go with MMOs, without even understanding what it really means in the long term (micro transactions etc...)... Also the way a F2P MMO is thought (same goes if a subscription base one goes F2P) is not the same as a subscription one...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If the prince system is anything like the EVE's Council of Stellar Management, a group of players elected by players who serve as the community's liaison to CCP, it won't be as simple as a few crazy power tripping players ruining the fun for everyone.

An example of the Mittani Scandal that happened around this time last year:

Massively said:

The Mittani said:

I think a lot of people are underestimating CCP's qualifications for this franchise, considering they're far and away the most experienced game developer in the world when it comes to player politics in games. EVE politics can be pretty fucking serious, and if they can bring that kind of atmosphere to World of Darkness it would be fantastic.

Ok but the mechanics behind F2P are usually bad and abusive at some point (there are some exceptions yes)... and what's 10/13$ a month, I'm not rich, but it's not much if the service is there. What bothers me is that now people think that F2P is the way to go with MMOs, without even understanding what it really means in the long term (micro transactions etc...)... Also the way a F2P MMO is thought (same goes if a subscription base one goes F2P) is not the same as a subscription one...

There are plenty of ways for an MMO to go F2P without having a negative effect on the game or playerbase. GW2 is a great example. CCP is not an ignorant company and I'm sure that if they were to go with a F2P model, they would implement an appropriate one.

The general idea that F2P = Bad is an old one that really needs to be reconsidered by the MMO populace at large. And while $12-$15 a month seems like a small cost when considered alone, most MMO players play multiple games now. It's no longer a market where players stick to one game exclusively and Publishers, for the most part, recognize this. I currently play GW2, TSW, and am actively beta testing a few others in addition to having a Steam backlog of standard SP/MP games and looking to buy a few console games this year as well. Paying $40-$60 up front with a Sub just isn't something I'm willing to do anymore for any MMO, regardless of quality. At most I'd buy the game if I was REALLY into it and play it for the free month then drop it. There's a lot of people who share the same frame of thought.

Drazgul

The idea of a few powerful players (Princes) having the ability to permakill whomever they'd like is far from appealing.

Yeah, I can't see any method of choosing them that doesn't result in the least fitting player material getting those spots ( power-tripping no-lifers, basically).

Me, I'd make a great Prince.

"Who do you wish to execute today, sire?"

suvlged.gif

CzarTim

Yeah, I can't see any method of choosing them that doesn't result in the least fitting player material getting those spots ( power-tripping no-lifers, basically).
We have zero info on how the mechanic actually works. CCP knows better than to give goonsquad a 'kill all' button.

Haly

We have zero info on how the mechanic actually works. CCP knows better than to give goonsquad a 'kill all' button.
This.

Goonsquad has been a major force in EVE online for years, CCP isn't going into this blind.

They know how mass trolling works.

MooseKing

Banned
It's pretty clear that the trend for MMO's for the next decade is going to be sandbox. Which makes me very happy.

It's funny to see so many new MMORPG's implementing systems that were first used over 10 years ago by SWG.

It's also pretty clear Titan will be a sandbox as well. If you look at what Blizzard has stated about it. They said it's a new IP, and is being designed to not compete with World of Warcraft. You can't get more different from WoW than a Sandbox. Wild Star, EQ III, World of Darkness, all moving in the direction of open sandbox where players create adventures and the companies help facilitate this.

I have a big feeling this decade is going to be tons of fun for those who enjoy MMORPG's. I can't wait to see all the games debut this year.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
If the prince system is anything like the EVE's Council of Stellar Management, a group of players elected by players who serve as the community's liaison to CCP, it won't be as simple as a few crazy power tripping players ruining the fun for everyone.

An example of the Mittani Scandal that happened around this time last year:

I think a lot of people are underestimating CCP's qualifications for this franchise, considering they're far and away the most experienced game developer in the world when it comes to player politics in games. EVE politics can be pretty fucking serious, and if they can bring that kind of atmosphere to World of Darkness it would be fantastic.

The prince system is an in-game feature--not some council outside the game like the CSM (members of which have no special power to do anything to players in-game)--and although we don't yet know the full details it appears to have the potential for players to control regions and affect other players on a mass scale, positively or negatively, just like in EVE.

Besides that, I'm failing to see what that story has to do with what happens in-game which doesn't cross the line to a personal level outside the game. CCP is known for rarely, if ever, stepping in when it comes to in-game politics, trolling, scamming--regardless of how many players it negatively affects or what they lose in the process, except in the case of exploitation or bugs.

New player scammed out of all your ISK on a phony contract? Consider it a hazing; you can't contact support to get your assets back like you can in pretty much every other MMO. But I bought that ISK with real money, legally through systems put in place by CCP! Ouch... Corp disassembled, assets stolen and years of work destroyed by an insider you trusted? Consider it a lesson to not trust anyone; support isn't going to be sympathetic or help you out.

All you need to do is go back and read about the countless scandals in EVE history that CCP just let play out. Time and time again ONE person or a small group of individuals has rocked the EVE universe and gotten away with it. The ability to scam, sabotage and harm other players on a level unheard of in other MMOs without repercussion is a major selling point of the game, so I can't see CCP deciding players suddenly need to be coddled so they won't have their fun ruined, especially after the success of EVE. If anything permadeath is yet another step away from that, pending further details of course.

Wait, I thought White Wolf Rebooted the World of Darkness.

The Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines was based on the Old World of Darkness, and much of the rules were different. Such as vampire generation which correlated with vampire power (which was an important plot point because people wanted to diablerize an ancient vampire).

The World of Darkness reworked many of the mechanics such as how power works between generations. So are they going back to the old world or their rebooted world? Because the old world went through like a dozen apocalypses at once and the world was destroyed.

Haly

Besides that, I'm failing to see what that story has to do with what happens in-game which doesn't cross the line to a personal level outside the game. CCP is known for rarely, if ever, stepping in when it comes to in-game politics, trolling, scamming--regardless of how many players it negatively affects or what they lose in the process, except in the case of exploitation or bugs.

I posted the Mittani story mainly to illustrate that CCP knows how to handle player government from their experience with CSM, and that the posters going "this sounds unfun" or "CCP is an awful company for this franchise" aren't really considering CCP's pedigree.

wildfire

Banned
10129520-20animated20hope_its_not_a_dupe20oh_my_gosh20omg20rainbow_dash.gif

You do realize your chances of meeting a Prince are going to be as good as shaking hands with the President/Prime Minister/God Emperor of some country?

It'll be really cool if the princes can call blood hunts. Basically if you piss off the vampire population, they call people to come kill your ass like their sheriff, who is their strong right hand man. I can imagine the hilarity potential it would have it groups of people have grudges against each other, basically giving a reason to mess each other up. But it'll be even cooler if people can overthrow the prince by assassinating him. Maybe also diablerize them for some power while they are at it (even though it is often seen as blasphemous to do).

Scirrocco

Wait, I thought White Wolf Rebooted the World of Darkness.

The Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines was based on the Old World of Darkness, and much of the rules were different. Such as vampire generation which correlated with vampire power (which was an important plot point because people wanted to diablerize an ancient vampire).

The World of Darkness reworked many of the mechanics such as how power works between generations. So are they going back to the old world or their rebooted world? Because the old world went through like a dozen apocalypses at once and the world was destroyed.

They did reboot it, now they're un rebooting it. Or at least releasing a huge volume of material for the old world of darkness and actively creating character convertors for the new clans. its a pity, i don't know why people complain about the new wod. It takes time to create as much lore as the Owod had and i liked how they had mechanics to stop old vampires from being godlike.

10129520-20animated20hope_its_not_a_dupe20oh_my_gosh20omg20rainbow_dash.gif

You do realize your chances of meeting a Prince are going to be as good as shaking hands with the President/Prime Minister/God Emperor of some country?

I think its more along the lines of calling a blood hunt, and empowering certain people to kill certain... undesirables. So being permakilled is more then just a small risk. Of course, considering princes will be chosen by the players or at least largest factions, a prince who goes a little too kill happy might find himself replaced... and perma-killed by his successor. It should be an interesting game mechanic.

bzm

"Different universes. Bloodlines was old WoD"

It's been awhile since it was announced but I think the MMO is actually old WoD.
Pretty certain its old wod.
As someone whose only experience with "World of Darkness" was via bloodlines what is the difference between the two?

They redid a lot of the lore to make it less metaplot-y from my understanding.

Chorazin

Yes, but for now they're focusing on the vampires. The entire WoD would be too much to implement at once (oh, and there's also Mage: The Ascension and Hunter: The Reckoning!). Wraith could be insanely awesome, though, even if I don't know how could they model some of its quirks. Haunting other players' dreams? yes plz!

And Demon:The Fallen, Changeling, Kindred of the East, Mummy, and all the crazy subspecies therein.

I love me some oWoD, but man I cannot get into MMOs anymore, I get way too addicted.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I think I remember CCP saying Werewolves or mages expansions/standalones were potentially down the line, if the Vamp version went well, but that could be just an early PR statement.

On a more "YES" note, I'm anxiously awaiting more news on this one. Not the most keen on "detailed" hand to hand combat in an always-online latency state, but will give benefit of doubt and keep an open mind til I see more.

Will also be interesting to see how the whole blood currency works out in terms of gaining/using powers, buffs, and base stats. Tie that into the Prince aspect with said Prince potentially controlling/influencing who gets what of the presumably limited blood supply per city, and things could get hella political real fast.

Only real "downfall" is that to be on the level, you'd have to start playing ASAP, otherwise there's not going to be a good way to catch up to anyone with a much higher blood bank.

bzm

I think I remember CCP saying Werewolves or mages expansions/standalones were potentially down the line, if the Vamp version went well, but that could be just an early PR statement.

On a more "YES" note, I'm anxiously awaiting more news on this one. Not the most keen on "detailed" hand to hand combat in an always-online latency state, but will give benefit of doubt and keep an open mind til I see more.

Will also be interesting to see how the whole blood currency works out in terms of gaining/using powers, buffs, and base stats. Tie that into the Prince aspect with said Prince potentially controlling/influencing who gets what of the presumably limited blood supply per city, and things could get hella political real fast.

Only real "downfall" is that to be on the level, you'd have to start playing ASAP, otherwise there's not going to be a good way to catch up to anyone with a much higher blood bank.

I really don't know how they would pull off putting WoD mage into a videogame...

Hari Seldon

It's pretty clear that the trend for MMO's for the next decade is going to be sandbox. Which makes me very happy.

It's funny to see so many new MMORPG's implementing systems that were first used over 10 years ago by SWG.

It's also pretty clear Titan will be a sandbox as well. If you look at what Blizzard has stated about it. They said it's a new IP, and is being designed to not compete with World of Warcraft. You can't get more different from WoW than a Sandbox. Wild Star, EQ III, World of Darkness, all moving in the direction of open sandbox where players create adventures and the companies help facilitate this.

I have a big feeling this decade is going to be tons of fun for those who enjoy MMORPG's. I can't wait to see all the games debut this year.

That would be great fucking news. It is almost too good to be true. I simply cannot play anymore loot focused MMOs.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Yeah I'm looking forward to see what that brings for MMOs. I definitely need a shift from the now established traditional EQ/WoW formula to get back into one. Even GW2 bored me within a month. Anything that's truly different and not just a tweak and improvement here and there, I'll at least give it a shot.

Sanjay

Yeah I'm looking forward to see what that brings for MMOs. I definitely need a shift from the now established traditional EQ/WoW formula to get back into one. Even GW2 bored me within a month. Anything that's truly different and not just a tweak and improvement here and there, I'll at least give it a shot.

Did you try The Secret World? that was a shift from the norm.

Me, I'd make a great Prince.

"Who do you wish to execute today, sire?"

suvlged.gif

Perfect response.

Top Bottom