• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vampire MMO World of Darkness to appear at EVE fanfest - CCP

pants

Yeah but thats a good way of making yourself the focal point of grief for every other faction in the game =P

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I can't think of any other developer that could handle world of darkness properly. Any other mmo dev would have turned it into a soft care bear mess. World of darkness needs to be fucked up, violent, and have lasting consequences for players. Anything else isn't true to the IP.

As a diehard White Wolf lover (before Rein-Hagen sold it to Wizards of the Coast) i cant think of a company less capable. CCP might shock and amaze me but if Eve is anything to go by, no thanks.

Wow, can't wait can't wait. Really hope to see some great footage of this game.
Did you try The Secret World? that was a shift from the norm.

Any sort of different MMO on GAF doesn't fly once it's released it seems. People missed a great game that shot down TSW immediately.

SparkTR

I'm looking forward to seeing it, but I'm not happy that this project caused the cancellation of Obsidian's vampire RPG.

Xiaoki

Bad Princes have a way of winding up (final) dead very fast. Hopefully the game has mechanics for causing that.

Im more interested in the mechanics for the political system that gives people the power of the Princes.

I had high hopes for the political system in Tera but then it turned into a pile of crap with huge exploits and rampant cheating.

Every MMO Ive played with this kind of system has been far less than perfect. Anyone remember Arch Lord?

SparkTR

Wait, what? There was an Obsidian VtM game in the works?

Apparently were extremely close to securing the rights and go ahead for development, but the license was taken to CCP at the last minute. I can't find a link, but I remember hearing about it during the Project Eternity media rounds back when that was happening.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Apparently were extremely close to securing the rights and go ahead for development, but the license was taken to CCP at the last minute. I can't find a link, but I remember hearing about it during the Project Eternity media rounds back when that was happening.

Oh wow i never knew that. i Binged it (jk i Googled it) but couldnt find anything.. however i find it plausible so i will treat it one step below gospel truth for the time being.

SparkTR

Oh wow i never knew that. i Binged it (jk i Googled it) but couldnt find anything.. however i find it plausible so i will treat it one step below gospel truth for the time being.

I'm searching for something now as well, I'm 95% sure I didn't just dream it up. It's a massive shame it didn't go that way, though.

e: best I can find is this

n0P9N.jpg

Source, can't find the original tweet though.

Foofaraw

The rights to their Hunter: The Reckoning franchise was also optioned to be directed by Uwe Boll. We have dodged bullets in the past.

I've also read that CCP destroyed White Wolf's publishing arm on this thread. I don't believe that to be true. Print RPGs are not doing very well, and White Wolf is doing pretty well with open sourced, crowd funded titles. There schedule, however, has gotten a bit more frustrating. I think that print deadlines got them to put games out closer to on the time they originally thought, but now I see titles constantly slipping several months from expected release date because they can post them up on DrivethruRPG whenever they are "finished."

I am excited to see what they are doing with this because I feel like the last I saw was the clothing tech demo from years ago. I prefer Werewolf and Orpheus as gamelines, but I am very excited to get my hands on this game.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
:lol, fair enough; the lore just seems to have so much potential. I will check it out though, thanks!

Get the WoD books if you are interested in lore. All of the WoD lines (Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Wraith, and Changeling being the core of the Storyteller System) all are excellent in presentation. i had 100+ books at one time and cant really think of a shit product. There were one or two that let down in the mechanics dept but they delivered on the lore/short stories/art aspect.

I only played VtM:B recently and I loved it a great deal. Having it fresh in my mind makes something like this more exciting, but I still don't want to get my hopes up about it.

My fear would be going into something like this thinking its going to be Bloodlines, when its likely going to be something completely different. I'll be keeping an eye on it anyway.

Sorry the big bump, but does anyone know when the World of Darkness stuff is being shown this weekend (EVE Fanfest)?

Is it going to be a massive reveal, or just small tidibts?

I read an article about it, apparently they requested no video of it, since it wasn't a completely in-game video and the game is (still!) really early and it may not accurately reflect what the game will actually look like or some such.

cj_iwakura

I read an article about it, apparently they requested no video of it, since it wasn't a completely in-game video and the game is (still!) really early and it may not accurately reflect what the game will actually look like or some such.

I guess they like the Versus XIII marketing route.

Haven't been following this game but if the world looks like DC Universe with cities then I'm in. I'm not into the whole vampire fad but the game sounds good.

Also depending on the subscription and price for the game I may be on board or not. If their's some monthly subscription then I'm out, but if it's free to play or a 1 time buy game then I'm on board. Their's a reason I only played DCUO and GW2. Wish I could play more MMORPG's but the subscription's always scare me off.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
About fucking time?

Well it's a "small glimpse", so you probably will have to wait out quite a bit longer :)

I'm excited for this, CCP is a cool company and they know how the sandbox should work. Also I remember this game to having a big focus on indiviualisation, right? Maybe I'm confusing it with another Vampire MMO in this, but yeah, this might be good.

Hopefully B2P, I'm done with paying subs for MMOs :/

Edit: Oh, I misread the thread - so it will actually be more news soon? Nice.

cj_iwakura

Lots of awesome info here:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/...l-offer-you-a-world-of-vampires-to-conquer-bu

We know so very little about the game, but a few details have slipped through. You’ll have to respect The Masquerade, the set of rules that require vampires to remain unknown to human. The original 13 clans will be in the game, and you’ll begin your character as a mortal who is then embraced and turned. The game will focus on vampires, although other White Wolf properties may be brought in, such as Werewolf, Mage, or Changeling.

McDonough refused to give me any details about the combat, other than to say it will feel very “active.” The combat and social systems are important, as World of Darkness won’t have much in the way of a story. Not that there won’t be stories, but the stories will be created by the players, not the developers. You won’t have a group of vampires crowding around quest givers, and just like EVE there will be places where it isn’t safe to go unless you’re rolling with a crew.

“We’re not focused on story-driven content right now. The story is driven by the players, maximizing the interaction between the players, and having them drive the story,” McDonough told the Report. “Who is going to be the Prince of the city is about politics, and interactions, it’s not about finding a box that makes you Prince. That’s something we’re focused on; it’s very much player-to-player stories. It’s very much an emergent world.”

I pray it lives up to half of what they promise.

If they can wring the same kind of player-driven political craziness that EVE has in this Vampire setting then they should just hook it into my veins now. VtM: Bloodlines is my favorite game ever.

wildfire

Banned
Hopefully they have a solution to promote aggression more quickly than Eve or if failing that the MAsquerade promotes small scale engagements over increasingly larger fights.

It's a bit too realistic where players can spend a third of day or even 2 whole days before engaging in an attack.

cj_iwakura

Hopefully they have a solution to promote aggression more quickly than Eve or if failing that the MAsquerade promotes small scale engagements over increasingly larger fights.

It's a bit too realistic where players can spend a third of day or even 2 whole days before engaging in an attack.

I'm pretty sure that's a given, considering the source material.

Top Bottom