• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Stop fighting condos. We should all live in condos. Your stupid lawn isn't worth the environmental and economic costs suburbia brings.

And Vancouvers market isn't that bad if buying a condo.

There'll need to be more units that are of a big enough size to work for families to really get people on board with this, though. As it stands, suites are still more well suited to singles and retirees than a family of four+ in a lot of condos. There's a few places, sure, plus the folks that are toughing it out in shoe boxes in Yaletown with kids, but I think the mindset in this city is still to get a house or townhouse when it comes time to start a family, as the majority of condo stock is still too small in terms of rooms / square footage.

There'll need to be more units that are of a big enough size to work for families to really get people on board with this, though. As it stands, suites are still more well suited to singles and retirees than a family of four+ in a lot of condos. There's a few places, sure, plus the folks that are toughing it out in shoe boxes in Yaletown with kids, but I think the mindset in this city is still to get a house or townhouse when it comes time to start a family, as the majority of condo stock is still too small in terms of rooms / square footage.

I don't disagree; I mean 500sqft is great when you're single and small but passable when you're married. But with kids you need room to move around, and 1-2 extra bedrooms.

That being said...now that I have kids I'm not really sure how feasible Vancouver is anymore? I've heard daycare is pretty expensive and kids parks pretty far between? Anyone here that can speak on that?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Man... the fucking camera switched to front-facing when I was trying to shut it off 😑

You would have known that if you came to the meetup bud.

I was in Europe

more legit excuse than "i was nextdoors but playing fallout"

Cheerilee

What's the cheapest/best place to buy a mattress?

Costco

Edit: Costco requires a $50 membership, but it's good for other deals, and if you're an RFDer you can ask for your $50 back after 11 months, because it's satisfaction guaranteed or your money back, and you can just say you're not satisfied.

Sleep Country or The Brick might match or ever-so-slightly beat Costco's price, if you enjoy haggling with used car dealers.

Smiley90

Costco

Edit: Costco requires a $50 membership, but it's good for other deals, and if you're an RFDer you can ask for your $50 back after 11 months, because it's satisfaction guaranteed or your money back, and you can just say you're not satisfied.

Sleep Country or The Brick might match or ever-so-slightly beat Costco's price, if you enjoy haggling with used car dealers.

I have a costco giftcard, that gets me in for free ;). Didnt know they had mattresses, have to check that! Thanks

RC

Banned
Being in DT Houston makes me appreciate the bars back home. Even the pretentious ones in Yaletown.
Atleast they have people in them.

Peterthumpa

I'm about to close a deal for a 500 sqft apt in Aquilini Centre West (literally on top of Roger's Arena) for $1700/month. Brand new with seriously amazing Bosch appliances, hot water, in-apt washer and dryer and Internet/Cable for 1 year. Not cheap, but found a LOT worse for similar pricing in downtown. Walking distance to work so at least public transport won't be an extra cost.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I'm about to close a deal for a 500 sqft apt in Aquilini Centre West (literally on top of Roger's Arena) for $1700/month. Brand new with seriously amazing Bosch appliances, hot water, in-apt washer and dryer and Internet/Cable for 1 year. Not cheap, but found a LOT worse for similar pricing in downtown. Walking distance to work so at least public transport won't be an extra cost.

Good lord, that price is outrageous... has downtown really come to that ? I was renting a 2-bedroom for less than $2000 in downtown and shared with a roommate. That effectively cut my rent down to roughly $1000.

Peterthumpa

Good lord, that price is outrageous... has downtown really come to that ? I was renting a 2-bedroom for less than $2000 in downtown and shared with a roommate. That effectively cut my rent down to roughly $1000.

If you want a place that's not 30 years old, or a basement with no windows or a place far from downtown, I guess that yes, more or less. Found some condos for $1500, but besides their location, everything basically a piece of shit.

trifelife

If you want a place that's not 30 years old, or a basement with no windows or a place far from downtown, I guess that yes, more or less. Found some condos for $1500, but besides their location, everything basically a piece of shit.

Yeah... cause new construction in Vancouver has a stellar track record 🙄

$1700 for 500 square feet: you played yourself son. Oh but it includes hot water! Score.

Smiley90

Place I'm moving into is 1100.- for more than a >500sqft studio literally a 20min WALK from UBC... yeah I'm happy.

And I got a job offer from a UBC lab yesterday too!

EVERYTHING'S COMING UP FOR MILH-SMILEY

New rental developments are pretty pricey. I've seen the trend in Seattle (hip, modern, centrally-located rentals for $1500-2000 a month) so it's not unheard of.

Peterthumpa

Yeah... cause new construction in Vancouver has a stellar track record 🙄

$1700 for 500 square feet: you played yourself son. Oh but it includes hot water! Score.
Thanks for the helpful comments.

Now, if you don't mind, find me an apartment within a 10 minute walking distance from Homer St, with not only hot water, but all appliances, Internet and cable and parking included as well (forgot that), which doesn't looks like shit and I'll transfer you the first month difference between both via PayPal. Really, not even kidding. Win win situation for us both.

Firestorm

Dang yeah at $1700 I'd rather be paying off a mortgage but I think that's just my parents' ways of thinking rubbing off on me with regards to rental vs purchase.
Yeah... cause new construction in Vancouver has a stellar track record ��

People have different standards and requirements?! Golly gee :eek:

Peterthumpa

Dang yeah at $1700 I'd rather be paying off a mortgage but I think that's just my parents' ways of thinking rubbing off on me with regards to rental vs purchase.People have different standards and requirements?! Golly gee :eek:

They're certainly right in thinking that way. In my case though, my work permit will last for 3 years and I have no idea if I'll make it through getting a PR, so thinking about mortgage now is kind of useless.

Whenever I feel bad about moving to the burbs and buying a house I just look up downtown rental costs. I do miss the energy of the city, but man owning a house in North Delta my mortgage is less than your rent (to be fair my down payment was sizable, and prices have gone up recently so it's not an apples to apples comparison).

I will admit the commute really, really sucked when I used to work on Nelson though. And you seem really happy about the place so I'm guessing its a good find, so congratulations! Damn nice area to live in, that's for sure. Hope it works out well for ya

Peterthumpa

Whenever I feel bad about moving to the burbs and buying a house I just look up downtown rental costs. I do miss the energy of the city, but man owning a house in North Delta my mortgage is less than your rent (to be fair my down payment was sizable, and prices have gone up recently so it's not an apples to apples comparison).

I will admit the commute really, really sucked when I used to work on Nelson though. And you seem really happy about the place so I'm guessing its a good find, so congratulations! Damn nice area to live in, that's for sure. Hope it works out well for ya

Thanks buddy. For sure it isn't the cheapest place around, but the pros definitely outweigh the cons in my book.

Cheerilee

Everything's a tradeoff, distance from work, size of the living space, what the kitchen looks like, what the view looks like, price, neighbors, roommates... You just have to know what works for you and what doesn't.

I personally don't care about the view (I'm not good with heights, and I regularly keep my curtains closed), so that's one thing that improves my other options. And I've got a buddy who's slightly claustrophobic so he only really breathes easy in places with higher-than-average ceilings, and he's willing to toss a bunch of other niceties to get that.

If you don't mind the size, and the price is affordable and it pays for the other things that you want, then it's all good. I have no idea if you got a bargain or not, because Downtown is so not my thing.

Tabris got banned? Hah

RIP Vancouver GAF.. No one posts anymore :[

EDIT: Apparently he was drunk post spamming in the NFL thread and the mods banned him for a month. Hah.

Smiley90

No. Been trying to help a co-worker hunt for one. Impossible for a place alone.. Maybe for a basement suite in west end or something but rare. You'd have to break out onto Main/Cambie toward King Edward

for a studio or a 1-bedroom/ living alone it's not really possible, no. I mean... maybe some super-broken down place if you get lucky.

If you share a place with other people it's definitely possible though.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone noticed how VPL pretty much stopped buying video games? In all of 2016 they have bought only like 3 different games? They pretty much ignored all of recent game requests too. :(

Cheerilee

Has anyone noticed how VPL pretty much stopped buying video games? In all of 2016 they have bought only like 3 different games? They pretty much ignored all of recent game requests too. :(

A couple of years ago, it was pretty much a thing where every library had two days a week where they were closed, and two days a week where they were open late. The particular days varied by location, so if your favorite branch was closed, you'd just go to your second or third choice library, or if you needed to do something at the library late, again, maybe you'd just go over to your second or third choice library.

About a year ago, someone higher up mandated that all libraries MUST be open from 1-5 on Sunday.

Money doesn't come from nowhere. Things had to be cut to make that happen. I've heard the librarians bitching about how a lot of behind-the-scenes things were cut because of it.

Top Bottom