• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

I don't care how long the game is as long as it's fun as hell to play. I've already put probably 1.5 hours into the first demo alone, plus if it's good then there will be incentive to replay stuff. Personally I'd even prefer a game like this to be on the short end since I've been playing some reallllly long games lately.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Whether or not a 7.5 is justified, the effect it may have on an already under-publicized title almost certainly guarantees discount pricing sooner than later.

gdt

Ahh...that K-Mart deal sounds dope. Now to decide if I use it on Castlevania or Uncharted 2 (I'm getting a PS3 soon...)

C Jones

The gameplay encourages speed runs so I'm not shocked you can beat it in 4 hours. There is the hard difficulty that you unlock and there are the challenges, so that can keep you busy. Plus we have to try to one-up those niconico vids haha (speaking of, this game could've really benefited from some kind of replay system, similar to Bungie with Halo or Trials HD)

I don't get the hate at the GI score. I still think 7.5 is a pretty good score for a game, especially considering you can finish the main story mode in 4 hours (allegedly). So obviously there are some things they were high on.

Still shocked we have no achievements yet. This thing is 5 days away from release!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Scythesurge said:
I don't care how long the game is as long as it's fun as hell to play. I've already put probably 1.5 hours into the first demo alone, plus if it's good then there will be incentive to replay stuff. Personally I'd even prefer a game like this to be on the short end since I've been playing some reallllly long games lately.

Strangely, I agree. I just finished Castlevania, and it felt like an epic (despite not really being as long as other games I've been playing). I'm kind of in the mood for something that's short.

mikeGFG

Banned
jaekwon15 said:
Game Informer ... said the game was less than four hours long, and the zero gravity stage is extremely short.

If the game has some kind of survival or mission modes then that's all I need.

jaekwon15 said:
Game Informer reviewed Vanquish and gave it a 7.5. they said the game was less than four hours long, and the zero gravity stage is extremely short.

waiting to hear from someone who didnt play it on easy :p

If it is that short then I guess I'm starting with the hardest available difficulty

Empty

do we know anything about when the embargo goes up for the rest of the reviews? after that gameinformer comment, i'm very curious to hear what other outlets have to say about the length.

Adam J. said:
So I'm guessing when Mikami said it would be around 8 hours, he was including the challenge modes, etc...(that probably doesn't even include the time spent on speed/scores runs, if you're into that sort of thing).

That's fine with me. 4 hours packed full of slo-mo grenade shooting and punching off giant robot heads is better than a 15 hour slog-fest.
No, he said 7 on normal not counting the three hours of cut scene. Which is why I think they played it on easy. I'll go and check the review my self and read it. Be back in a few mins.

twdnewh_k

Ps3 version is alrdy available at my local shop, was planning to get the 360 version but now im tempted..... decisions decisions

Whether its four hours or not doesn't really matter. This game is all about re-playability. Hell, you can beat Bayonetta in 2 hours. No one's complaining about that.

Besides, I doubt they were playing it on Normal.

The End

Empty said:
do we know anything about when the embargo goes up for the rest of the reviews? after that gameinformer comment, i'm very curious to hear what other outlets have to say about the length.

Preordered this shit so hard. Tickles all of my mechafuturist pleasure centers.

Nice work. I have very high hopes for this game. I loved the demo for it. Chaotic and beautiful. Gonna pick this up at kmart so I get 30 off of borderlands:gory and 20 for fable 3. I can't wait for next Tuesday.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Whether its four hours or not doesn't really matter. This game is all about re-playability. Hell, you can beat Bayonetta in 2 hours. No one's complaining about that.

Besides, I doubt they were playing it on Normal.
I agree. I played the demo like 10 times and I only stopped because I didn't want to burn myself out. So no, they didn't finish the game in four hours. They apparently just ran out of intestinal fortitude after they saw the credits roll.

I had a feeling the game would be extremely short and slim on content. But you know what? I don't really care. I still plan on buying it. In fact it could be the perfect kind of game for complete game speed runs, and old school stuff like that.

Corto

Can't wait for this! Between Castlevania and all the GOGs that I am playing at the moment, a superfast, action packed game with cheesy dialogue is what I need! My body is ready... bring it on!

~Kinggi~

Banned
jaekwon15 said:
Game Informer reviewed Vanquish and gave it a 7.5. they said the game was less than four hours long, and the zero gravity stage is extremely short.
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :(

LordPhoque said:
Pre-order cancelled.
mad.gif

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
C Jones said:
I don't get the hate at the GI score. I still think 7.5 is a pretty good score for a game, especially considering you can finish the main story mode in 4 hours (allegedly). So obviously there are some things they were high on.

7.5 is a bad score for GameInformer. They're on the 7-10 scale even harder than IGN is.

But I don't exactly trust GameInformer anyway. They've always favored popular mainstream games over the more niche offerings. They even admitted it after the Paper Mario controversy.

Pimpbaa

jaekwon15 said:

Damn, the demo was kinda fun too. Gonna cross this one off of my list of games to buy this fall.

jett said:
...jeez. I'm gonna have to rethink buying this game.
Me too :( I just can't justify spending more than $30 on a game of that length though. Thanks but no thanks Mikami. Was really looking forward to this shit too. Too bad about the length.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
If you didn't put an hour into the demo then Vanquish isn't for you, and the supposed 4 hours (lol) shouldn't change anything.

If you did, then you know that you'll be milking that shit. Short and sweet > long and drawn out with a game like this.

sonicmj1

jaekwon15 said:

Has anyone else seen this review?

I'm surprised that I haven't heard word of it anywhere else.

Pimpbaa

SnakeXs said:
If you didn't put an hour into the demo then Vanquish isn't for you, and the supposed 4 hours (lol) shouldn't change anything.

If you did, then you know that you'll be milking that shit. Short and sweet > long and drawn out with a game like this.

I don't mind buying short games off steam when they are like 15 bucks or something (which I did recently). But if this is your average console game price of 60 bucks, then it's just insulting. You can try and justifying it all you want, but when console developers do this they are just gouging consumers.

Well they haven't even put the review online yet. They are usually there when the mag ships. And I think they gave DR2 a 9.5 or something that it shouldn't have got. Enslaved is a 7 though.

The length does sound potentially disappointing, but out of context it's somewhat meaningless. I dread to think how many hours I put into Bayonetta due to how replayable it was (and its meaningful use of difficulty levels), and as I've put way more than an hour into the second Vanquish demo (something that takes me an average of 7 minutes to complete, and the best players two minutes) I can see this game going the same way.

I just remembered this has no multiplayer. :'(

Short campaign in a sea of tons of awesome releases and no multiplayer...I think I've decided Vanquish will have to wait or be a weekend rental.

Also Game Informer sucks at reviews imo, I only trust Gametrailers and the masses on Metacritic. I don't look at the average score and accept judgement; but if 50 reviews complain about the same things then hey, truth hurts. I'm not sweating GI.

Dead

well not really...yet
If this is really 4-6 hours on normal, Ill wait for the Bargain Bin, replay value or not. Hopefully other reviews paint a different picture.

Bayonetta lasted a good 16+ hours on the first normal playthrough for me...

jonnybryce said:
Had fun but I didn't complete the ps3 demo. Got a bit frustrated with a mech; gonna go back and beat before I decide. Not sure if this is day one, $60 fun or wait-for-it fun.

Play the second demo. It's the most fun I have ever had playing a demo.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Thanks GI, you just saved me $60 bucks. I'll rent this, beat it then return it for credit.

That's way too short for someone like me who does not replay games and doesn't give a shit about challenges, speedruns etc...

This looks like it will be a kick ass 4 hours though.

Top Bottom