• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

AEREC

knee said:
I don't want to search the thread, because I don't want to come across any spoilers... but...

Is there a consensus 'better' system to get this game on? I don't want to be in a Red Dead Redemption situation for PS3.

I think the PS3 is probably the better version in this case since it has vysnc on whereas the 360 doesnt. But I dont think you can go wrong with either version.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vanquish-face-off?page=3

Duffyside

Banned
knee said:
I don't want to search the thread, because I don't want to come across any spoilers... but...

Is there a consensus 'better' system to get this game on? I don't want to be in a Red Dead Redemption situation for PS3.
I am only responding to you to say; great avatar. Takes me back.

And yeah, what the other guys said.

Arklite

knee said:

No issues like that. Vanquish is an example of best case scenario in terms of mutliplatform performance/visuals.

15hn03t.jpg

Fuck God Hard mode. Fuck this shit.

It took me three+ goddamn hours to beat 2-5 on god hard. Fuck. That. Hill. I stopped messing raging with god hard mode to finish hard mode, which was alright except the last two boss battles. :\ Back to god hard mode, I'm currently stuck on 3-2. Fucking gold Gorgies.

Anteater

ninj4junpei said:
It took me three+ goddamn hours to beat 2-5 on god hard. Fuck. That. Hill. I stopped messing raging with god hard mode to finish hard mode, which was alright except the last two boss battles. :\

The hill was probably the hardest or one of the hardest mission on GH tbh, took me a while too, those god damn respawns and instant exploding grenades against the wall. Keep at it!

Edit: The hardest missions for me were
the hill, the city square with the crowd and a tank at the end (I think that's where you're on), double bias, a cheap area with stupid snipers and drill romanovs, and last boss

Anteater said:
Edit: The hardest missions for me were
the hill, the city square with the crowd and a tank at the end (I think that's where you're on), double bias, a cheap area with stupid snipers and drill romanovs, and last boss
I just got to the snipers and romanovs part. So much fun. -_- The city square part ended up not being so bad for me because I abused the fuck out of the terrain. If you get inside the back of the troop transport, you are pretty much safe except for a gorgie or two that will attack you. Unfortunately, you have to bail the fuck out once the tank shows up, since it can and will attack you in it.

FFFFFUUUUU- At last boss fight, so close. I swear if I finish god hard I have the legal right to swiftly kick Shinji Mikami (and related developers) in the balls. I don't care if he directed Resident Evil 4. He deserves punishment for this shit. >:|

Gears of War 2 on insane >>>>>>>>> Vanquish on god hard it's not even funny.

Picked this up at K-Mart for 20 bucks. Only put a half hour or so into the game because I want to beat Gears first, but I love how fast this game moves. So good. Looking forward to really investing some time later on. Started off on Hard Mode, not sure if that's such a great idea or not.

JacksUsername said:
Picked this up at K-Mart for 20 bucks. Only put a half hour or so into the game because I want to beat Gears first, but I love how fast this game moves. So good. Looking forward to really investing some time later on. Started off on Hard Mode, not sure if that's such a great idea or not.
If it proves too much, you can always change the difficulty. There isn't a big gap between hard and normal, though.

JacksUsername said:
I did the same. It's not too bad.

Anteater

ninj4junpei said:
FFFFFUUUUU- At last boss fight, so close. I swear if I finish god hard I have the legal right to swiftly kick Shinji Mikami (and related developers) in the balls. I don't care if he directed Resident Evil 4. He deserves punishment for this shit. >:|

Gears of War 2 on insane >>>>>>>>> Vanquish on god hard it's not even funny.

Gears2 on insane is that much harder :eek:? (never played it)

Anteater

ninj4junpei said:
I meant in terms of quality, not difficulty. Though it does have some bullshit moments.

oh! Yea I never replayed vanquish because those areas were pretty bullshit :lol, not a lot of room to breath or improvise, there were some great moments though, just the maps kind of sucks for some parts.

Gears 2 on Insane is one of the most tedious games I've ever played. It's not even hard, you just sit behind cover and pump clips of ammo into each bullet sponge enemy after they pop their heads up from the cover they too are sitting behind. The lazy difficulty design in Gears 1 and 2 killed any interest I could've had in Gears 3 (I don't care for Gears multi).

Vanquish on GH was actually fun and challenging.

Anteater

iconoclast said:
Gears 2 on Insane is one of the most tedious games I've ever played. It's not even hard, you just sit behind cover and pump clips of ammo into each bullet sponge enemy after they pop their heads up from the cover they too are sitting behind. The lazy difficulty design in Gears 1 and 2 killed any interest I could've had in Gears 3 (I don't care for Gears multi).

I think some of the areas could be done better in Vanquish, like the uphill with the respawns, and other maps with barely any room to move around, but I think for most parts it's really balanced and fun, the last boss and other bosses/enemies were especially really well designed, I hope they make a sequel and improve a lot of stuff, but I don't know if they will and it's probably going to be without mikami :(

Riposte

iconoclast said:

Reminds me of Mass Effect 2 at its hardest parts(maybe Vanguard aside). Tedious is right. Hilarious that someone thinks Vanquish isn't top.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
You know... I'm finding this game kind of difficult, and a bit confusing. I just started, so I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. But it's a very different game than I used to. Feels kind of old school, but with new school looks.

I like it so far.

madkiller said:
I'm stuck on challenge 6 wave 3. Any tips GAF?
my memory is bad so let me know.

After I finished the last tactical challenge I erased the trauma from my mind. 20+ hours just trying to beat that shit. I don't like how the actual guides just brush it off as "fairly difficult". The last wave is virtually impossible for a casual gamer. But I really needed the achievement heh. It's like a badge of honor.

Evolved1 said:
You know... I'm finding this game kind of difficult, and a bit confusing. I just started, so I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. But it's a very different game than I used to. Feels kind of old school, but with new school looks.

I like it so far.
It just clicks at some point. Took me a while.

iconoclast said:

You think Vanquish on god hard is not tedious? I will admit that I appreciate that the enemy AI in Vanquish is far more aggressive on higher difficulties than Gears of War 2. The funny thing is I think Vanquish on god hard kind of forces you to play it like a Gears game at times, but the cover system is not as well designed which makes it even more tedious. It has its fun moments, but it turns into bullshit at times and when it does it really does. I love Gears of War 2's campaign even on insane. Perhaps we will have to agree to disagree.

AEREC

Can anyone explain to me the weapon upgrade system cause Im not sure if I really like it or maybe im just not getting the logic behind it...

Basically I want to upgrade the standard assault rifle so I dont use it as much so when I do find another assault rifle I am able to upgrade it, but Im really hesitant to use the weapons I want because it seems like your most used weapons will get upgraded the least.

It makes no sense to me why they went with this method of upgrading.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
AEREC said:
Can anyone explain to me the weapon upgrade system cause Im not sure if I really like it or maybe im just not getting the logic behind it...

Basically I want to upgrade the standard assault rifle so I dont use it as much so when I do find another assault rifle I am able to upgrade it, but Im really hesitant to use the weapons I want because it seems like your most used weapons will get upgraded the least.

It makes no sense to me why they went with this method of upgrading.

You can cheese it by just picking up a different weapon in the area, picking up the new weapon with full ammo, then picking up the old gun

Gandara

Finally beat challenge 6. My god, what a pain it was. I could get to wave 5 with little issues and be left with the bogeys. But for some reason I was having a hard time dodging the straight laser which normally was the easiest to dodge. I would have full rockets, 5 emps, 1 upgrade and 1 lock on laser. More then enough to beat the challenge, but I kept screwing up. I must have spent +40 hours trying to beat it and in the end beat it in under 21 min.

Wave three is very easy if you know this trick. The area where you can get the lock on laser in the middle of the field is a safe point where for some reason none of the enemies will react to you. Before the round starts hide there and shoot the lfe at the spawning gorgies and you should be left with only romanovas. I kept getting hit by the shoulder laser from the left romanovas until I positioned my self to blow it off. From there you can safely shoot the romanovas by shooting of their heads or killing them out right. For some reason that phase use to give me the most trouble as well because the key to most phases is to wipe out the minor enemies as quickly as possible and that phase had the most number of tough enemies.

I give up. -_- I am never going to finish god hard mode. The final boss is just too fucking cheap.
I get so fucking close to finishing off of one of the bogeys, but nope.
Goddamnit, I want to break something.

I... I did it.
35mo3o3.jpg

I really fucking did it.
Despite reading that I should go for the blue bogey first I focused on the red one. I still died a few times with the limiters deactivated. -_-
I am going to enjoy the credits sequence so much. A lot of "fuck you"s will be uttered.

Anteater

ninj4junpei said:
I... I did it.
35mo3o3.jpg

I really fucking did it.
Despite reading that I should go for the blue bogey first I focused on the red one. I still died a few times with the limiters deactivated. -_-
I am going to enjoy the credits sequence so much. A lot of "fuck you"s will be uttered.

Grats!
Was the red one the sniper one? if it is I think that's the one I killed first too
Credits screen: Fuck you! you and especially you...!

Anteater said:
Grats!
Was the red one the sniper one? if it is I think that's the one I killed first too
Credits screen: Fuck you! you and especially you...!
Thanks.
Yeah, the red bastard was the sniper. Freaking charged shots would OHKO you. :\
I think the greatest troll of all of god hard mode is it unlocks absolutely nothing! Not even a damn trophy. Oh well, I bought the DLC weapons so I'll pretend those were unlocked. :\

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Since I'm most likely going to get this. What's verdict so far and what are its strong points? Is it RE4/God Hand godlike from Mikami-God?

Anteater

ULTROS! said:
Since I'm most likely going to get this. What's verdict so far and what are its strong points? Is it RE4/God Hand godlike from Mikami-God?

Try the demo(s). The core is a bit like uncharted/gears of war on drugs with tighter/faster controls, the enemies designs are pretty much ones out of japanese action games (with special moves that you could roll and dodge out of the way).

The strong point is that the weapons are pretty unique and give you a bit of variety (albeit not many to choose from), like the LFE gun can knock enemies down and control a crowd close range, disc launcher allows you to melee without overheating, you could dismember some of the enemies as well, and they would react differently etc, put those together with Sam's flexible movement, ARS bar/bullet-time, stun grenades and boost among other things allows you to pull off fancy stuff which makes it really fun.

ninj4junpei said:
I... I did it.
35mo3o3.jpg

I really fucking did it.
casual auto?

2435e1v.gif

now try tactical challenge 1-6.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
ULTROS! said:
I was on the fence, but then I watched the trailer. First thing I see is this huge bearded guy with a gigantic gatling grunting "I'm gonna need a bigger gun" in a totally cheesy way. I closed the trailer and bought the game. Game oozes style, it's totally mindless fun and the mechanics are tight. It's RE4 on speed in a Gundam colony with robots, what else could you ask for? It's not the best Platinum game but it's damn good.

Challenge six can fuck off. I think my problem is I'm too conservative with my grenades. First wave is so easy, second not so much (fucking helicopter dudes). I made it to the third wave once, but goofed up. I hear it only gets harder. ;_;

Carbonox

I still want to get my Platinum trophy on this game at some point. I just need to collect those little statues and finish all the challenges.

Carbonox_Ratchet said:
I still want to get my Platinum trophy on this game at some point. I just need to collect those little statues and finish all the challenges.
Just use a guide for the statues and it's easy, set the difficulty to casual. The challenges... not so much.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
There are a bunch of video guides for the statues on youtube

I tried going back to Gears of War 2 on insane. Oh god, I forgot how slooooooooow it is. Not to mention the fucking dead zone. I swear they did it on purpose just so it wouldn't be so easy. Argh! I think I am going to have to wait quite a while to play Gears of War 3, well for monetary reasons as well.

Curufinwe

Carbonox_Ratchet said:

Unless you've very good at Vanquish completing all the challenges might take you forever or actually be impossible. So try them first and see how you go before wasting time getting all the statues. If you're going to be stuck with 49/50 trophies you may as well be stuck at 48/50.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I really need to finish up TM06. The sad thing was, Waves 1-3 were not all that difficult(Only had one solid attempt on 4). TM04 just burnt me the hell out. Basically a single Unknown is worse than anything else in the game.

shintoki said:
I really need to finish up TM06. The sad thing was, Waves 1-3 were not all that difficult(Only had one solid attempt on 4). TM04 just burnt me the hell out. Basically a single Unknown is worse than anything else in the game.
I fucking hate the Unknown's instant death attack so much.

Top Bottom