• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

I remember when I finally beat Challenge 6. I was like, the sixth guy on the leaderboard to even do it, lol. I don't LOOOOVE Vanquish like a lot of Gaffers(too short, melee is a waste, scoring system is mostly invincibility rolling abuse and time management, which is kinda boring, disappointing overall level design, etc), but when you're moving around and kicking ass, there's few games that just FEEL this good.

Carbonox

Curufinwe said:
Unless you've very good at Vanquish completing all the challenges might take you forever or actually be impossible. So try them first and see how you go before wasting time getting all the statues. If you're going to be stuck with 49/50 trophies you may as well be stuck at 48/50.

I've only tried the challenges once due to boredom. Got to the third, scuffed up stupidly and then moved on to score challenges in campaign. I've never actually devoted any time in to challenge mode to try and do them all. Maybe I should put some work in. Statues won't be a problem but you're right in that there's no point getting one more trophy if the platinum isn't accessible.

I'll return once there's some dead space between game releases and I don't have a backlog.

adversesolutions said:
Fucking hell.
LeonSKennedy90 said:
I remember when I finally beat Challenge 6. I was like, the sixth guy on the leaderboard to even do it, lol. I don't LOOOOVE Vanquish like a lot of Gaffers(too short, melee is a waste, scoring system is mostly invincibility rolling abuse and time management, which is kinda boring, disappointing overall level design, etc), but when you're moving around and kicking ass, there's few games that just FEEL this good.
I've come to appreciate the melee system a bit more but it definitely needed some tweaking. Instantly overheating for punching a grunt was a poor decision, though.

Jintor

ninj4junpei said:
Fucking hell.

I've come to appreciate the melee system a bit more but it definitely needed some tweaking. Instantly overheating for punching a grunt was a poor decision, though.

It should have eaten a certain amount of heat depending on enemy type

Fantasmo

Just picked this up. Huge fan of Mikami's works, including Resident Evil 4 and God hand, love action games, and heard great things. I'm excited! Installing right now.

Fantasmo

Yes.

YES!

Dude WHAT?? How is this speed and graphics possible and sooooooo smooth? No tearing, 3 billion effects at once. This is like Gears of War on crack! Totally not knocking Gears because it's incredible, but this like Contra 3d. Holy *(#)*$@()$%$!!! Loving it!

PS - I absolutely love the morphing gun effect.
PPS - Mikami I love you.

JPKellams

1 year anniversary of the game today! Thanks for all the support guys.

P.S. Check out my twitter account for a spoilerific explanation of the ending. Not sure if it is kosher to post here. (@pg_jp)

Boogdud

PlatinumGamesJP said:

P.S. Check out my twitter account for a spoilerific explanation of the ending. Not sure if it is kosher to post here. (@pg_jp)

We love you, you know that right?

I just got this in the mail for free from my company's rewards points program. Tried it last night for about 30 min, great stuff :D I can't wait to play it some more this weekend

soldat7

PlatinumGamesJP said:

I love this game.

*high-five*

zkylon

zkylewd
PlatinumGamesJP said:

First of all, loved both Bayonetta and Vanquish to death. I think they're probably the best of expressions of each's genre.

On the explanation, it sounds like it makes sense, but the game deliberately hides all of that from you and i feel kinda cheated that i was supposed to make some great, deep meaning out of Sam's and Burns' ridiculous banter. If you want to reach out the players with your message, least you can do is meet them half way and at least hint it. This is not directed at you personally, just saying out loud what i get from your conclusions. Conclusions that seem like it would've been awesome to reach during game time instead.

The meaning behind the Pangloss statues is pretty clever. I never really thought about why that name was used. In a way, I'm kind of sad that the ending isn't supposed to be a cliffhanger.

PlatinumGamesJP said:

Wow! There's definitely a lot detail in the story that goes unnoticed. I did pick up on the title reference the last time I went through the game. By then it was clear that the only one who ended up as the victor was... Victor. :p

I would still love to see a sequel to the game or maybe a spiritual successor.

ApolloJoh

PlatinumGamesJP said:

Congrats for making a really awesome game. :D

Still haven't beaten God Hard lol

JPKellams

zkylon said:
First of all, loved both Bayonetta and Vanquish to death. I think they're probably the best of expressions of each's genre.

On the explanation, it sounds like it makes sense, but the game deliberately hides all of that from you and i feel kinda cheated that i was supposed to make some great, deep meaning out of Sam's and Burns' ridiculous banter. If you want to reach out the players with your message, least you can do is meet them half way and at least hint it. This is not directed at you personally, just saying out loud what i get from your conclusions. Conclusions that seem like it would've been awesome to reach during game time instead.

Totally. I learned so much from how people reacted to the ending. There are/were myriad reasons why it isn't more obvious, but ultimately, I would have loved it if things would have cut through a bit more clearly. Candide works as a novella because it clobbers you with satire. So, in that regard, my sword to fall on.

That being said, if Burns and Sam engaged in some existential conversation on the merits of optimism, a la Candide, you guys would have burned me at the stake. No matter how funny it would have been to hear Steve Blum and Gideon Emery have that conversation in those voices.

Various organ donation offers for a sequel.

You guys are freaking me out. I just watched a National Geo documentary on the organ trade, so I have a general idea of how many kidneys it would take.

Aaron

To be brutally honest, the less story sections the better. I never finished Vanquish due to the story, and I got pretty close to the end. It committed too many story telling sins for me to take, to the point I said to myself 'If the game does this next, I'm done for good.' Sadly, it went for the most obvious and bad twist, and so I never finished it.

My only gameplay complaint is enemy fire passing through indestructible cover. When the game establishes that some cover can be destroyed and some can't, I expect to be safe if I'm behind the latter. To get stabbed through a wall that doesn't break is like one giant middle finger.

Minor problem though. Loved the gameplay otherwise.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Aaron said:
To be brutally honest, the less story sections the better. I never finished Vanquish due to the story, and I got pretty close to the end. It committed too many story telling sins for me to take, to the point I said to myself 'If the game does this next, I'm done for good.' Sadly, it went for the most obvious and bad twist, and so I never finished it.

My only gameplay complaint is enemy fire passing through indestructible cover. When the game establishes that some cover can be destroyed and some can't, I expect to be safe if I'm behind the latter. To get stabbed through a wall that doesn't break is like one giant middle finger.

Minor problem though. Loved the gameplay otherwise.

If you're using cover this long, you're doing it wrong. Some enemies can hit you through cover for a reason.

Aaron

Yurt said:
If you're using cover this long, you're doing it wrong. Some enemies can hit you through cover for a reason.
Because they're magic? I have no problem with them hitting through cover if they destroy that cover in the process. That's fair and if I get hit it's my fault, but beams passing straight through concrete or the length of a big truck to hit me without causing damage to the intervening space is just sloppy design. It breaks my suspension of disbelief.

JPKellams

Aaron said:
Because they're magic? I have no problem with them hitting through cover if they destroy that cover in the process. That's fair and if I get hit it's my fault, but beams passing straight through concrete or the length of a big truck to hit me without causing damage to the intervening space is just sloppy design. It breaks my suspension of disbelief.

Those energy blasts were insta-kills at one point, so I think you guys got off easy.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Aaron said:

Those beams are supposed to hit you through cover IIRC.

Only use cover to catch your breath for a few seconds, this isn't GoW. :p

Jintor

PlatinumGamesJP said:
Totally. I learned so much from how people reacted to the ending. There are/were myriad reasons why it isn't more obvious, but ultimately, I would have loved it if things would have cut through a bit more clearly. Candide works as a novella because it clobbers you with satire. So, in that regard, my sword to fall on.

That being said, if Burns and Sam engaged in some existential conversation on the merits of optimism, a la Candide, you guys would have burned me at the stake. No matter how funny it would have been to hear Steve Blum and Gideon Emery have that conversation in those voices.

Pretty much both points I guess. I caught none of that really in-game.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
PlatinumGamesJP said:

Seriously, many thanks for being a trooper and answering on these boards. It always helps to know there are/were real people behind the games we know and love!

Vanquish is a game I look at and think... how was this not done before? Why has it taken this long for the industry to have something this ridiculously sleek? Bayonetta I look at in a similar light - there are just so many crazy things that gel brilliantly in these games.

I will never forget the first time I played the demo of Vanquish; the Argus fight. When it first does its huge chest charge beam attack, my ladyfriend and I were going spare. Rocketing around the arena, trying not to get caught up in that insane robo-anime inspired blast... I've never seen anything like it while feeling so in-control and badass in a game.

Just incredible... I hope wherever you are now, you can continue to make such fantastic titles, JP.

Aaron

PlatinumGamesJP said:
Those energy blasts were insta-kills at one point, so I think you guys got off easy.
Actually, both of the hit through cover attacks that really pissed me off were insta-kills. That's why I was behind cover in the first place, because I knew they were coming and didn't want to die instantly. Didn't even give me enough time to recharge my slowdown juice. It's the sort of thing that makes victory feel like the luck of the draw rather than actual skill, while the rest of the game felt very much based on skill.

JPKellams

B-Genius said:
Seriously, many thanks for being a trooper and answering on these boards. It always helps to know there are/were real people behind the games we know and love!

Just incredible... I hope wherever you are now, you can continue to make such fantastic titles, JP.

Thank you, sir. I'm still here, and I think we've got some fantastic, wonderful stuff in the pipe. But please, don't heap too much credit on me. I'm in a room with a ton of incredibly smart, talented people who work as hard, if not harder, than I. I'm just as much in awe of our team as anyone else.

JPKellams

Aaron said:
Actually, both of the hit through cover attacks that really pissed me off were insta-kills. That's why I was behind cover in the first place, because I knew they were coming and didn't want to die instantly. Didn't even give me enough time to recharge my slowdown juice. It's the sort of thing that makes victory feel like the luck of the draw rather than actual skill.

I'm pretty sure they aren't full insta-kills. If you are full life, they should let you survive, just barely. However, most people cowering behind cover in Vanquish are doing so because they have taken damage, so they feel like insta-kills. If I'm wrong, feel free to insta-kill me. ;) I remember making the case for them not to be insta-kills and Mikami-san agreeing with me, but I always bought into the speed is life element of the game, so they didn't nail me during the game that often.

Aaron

B-Genius said:
It's great how super suits, Russian space terrorism and giant beam spewing robots do nothing to break your suspension of disbelief.
Why would they? The game presented a self contained and futuristic world that was internally consistent, apart from the magic ghost lasers.

Like I said, I was behind cover because I had used up my slowdown and didn't want to take damage. The sword though the wall I might have been a bit hurt, hard to tell without a life bar, but big cannon blast that passed through a truck and a section of wall to hit me I definitely wasn't damaged. I had been there for a while, which yeah I shouldn't do, but I was trying to sort out my weapon slots and sometimes that could take a bit.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Aaron said:
Actually, both of the hit through cover attacks that really pissed me off were insta-kills. That's why I was behind cover in the first place, because I knew they were coming and didn't want to die instantly. Didn't even give me enough time to recharge my slowdown juice. It's the sort of thing that makes victory feel like the luck of the draw rather than actual skill, while the rest of the game felt very much based on skill.

Roll

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Saw this today at the local store for like 1200 yen..so want it..but so intimidated too. Also still haven't finished Bayonetta..

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
worldrevolution said:
Saw this today at the local store for like 1200 yen..so want it..but so intimidated too. Also still haven't finished Bayonetta..

You're a DISGRACE to your avatar.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
PlatinumGamesJP said:
Thank you, sir. I'm still here, and I think we've got some fantastic, wonderful stuff in the pipe. But please, don't heap too much credit on me. I'm in a room with a ton of incredibly smart, talented people who work as hard, if not harder, than I. I'm just as much in awe of our team as anyone else.
And it's when you have that kind of awe/respect/camaraderie within your team that great things can be achieved. Definitely save some of the credit for your buds at PG! One of the reasons people may heap the praise on you is that we don't feel we have a necessary channel to do so otherwise. That, and if anyone has worked even a little in production, translation or QA, they will surely attest to the fact that it can be a pretty thankless affair - you deserve all the praise you get, mate!

Edit: Damn I'm pumped. I just got a new PS3 and the first thing I want to do when I get home is get Vanquish on there and start from scratch!

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Yurt said:
You're a DISGRACE to your avatar.

Haha, I'll be honest it's that last challenge thing that gets me. I followed this game waaaaay back when it first released and I remember everyone here being like UGH that last challenge and I kind of have OCD when it comes to completing that stuff. There were definitely people here throwing like 20 hours at that challenge. Demon's/Dark Souls are easy compared to that, I platted Demon's and will plat Dark too. =P

Also, again, with Bayonetta still on the shelf..

Top Bottom