• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

Koroviev

Finally picked this up on PSN. The file is massive! It was downloading at a fairly brisk 1MB/second last night, but progress appears to have halted at 48%. Guess I'll leave it be for a little while and see what happens.

Koroviev

Finished downloading! So, does this game have a grading/ranking system, or does it just tally a numerical score? Leader boards are okay, but I really like pursuing the gold medal, S rank, etc.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Just a really bare bones numbering system.

The only real performance rank is the speed bonus for each mission, where you can pick up a max of 5000 bonus points depending on your stage completion time.

Shoot everything in the head with your machine gun for the bonus, never use melee because the game punishes you for some ass-backwards reason, and just kinda fly through it 4-5 hours.

Yeah, do the backflip and slow-mo in the air, it's the best way to quickly gain attitude in any situation. Just pray to God you don't actually hit anyone with your badass melee attack because you'll be running around like a dumbass waiting for your bar to go back up and be cool again.

KalBalboa

Banned
So I absolutely love Max Payne, the older DMC games, God of War, etc.

Should I be buying this on PSN? $20 isn't much when you've been gift carded all week.

So I absolutely love Max Payne, the older DMC games, God of War, etc.

Should I be buying this on PSN? $20 isn't much when you've been gift carded all week.
I would say that only Max Payne is really relevant to whether you will enjoy this or not. It's a good game, worth $20. You might want to wait a week to see if it goes on sale.

KalBalboa

Banned
I would say that only Max Payne is really relevant to whether you will enjoy this or not. It's a good game, worth $20. You might want to wait a week to see if it goes on sale.

Well, it's been out since 2010. Think there's any reason it'd go on sale suddenly next week?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Is this one of those games you should pass on if the demo doesn't sell you? The weapons in the demo were pretty boring (Heavy Machine Gun and the Assault Rifle were practically the same). Movement was nice, I like the sliding.

Boss wasn't all that interesting, just shoot the glowly parts. Fires a shitload of missiles at you that can all be avoided by standing still, etc.

Riposte

Is this one of those games you should pass on if the demo doesn't sell you? The weapons in the demo were pretty boring (Heavy Machine Gun and the Assault Rifle were practically the same). Movement was nice, I like the sliding.

Boss wasn't all that interesting, just shoot the glowly parts. Fires a shitload of missiles at you that can all be avoided by standing still, etc.

Try experimenting more with the mechanics in the demo (push yourself to kill at an effective pace). Otherwise maybe not.

I've been wanting to get this game, for the sole reason that it's made by Platinum. Other than that, I really don't know too much. :p What is this game like exactly? Anything that brings it off as its own unique style?

goldenpp72

I've been wanting to get this game, for the sole reason that it's made by Platinum. Other than that, I really don't know too much. :p What is this game like exactly? Anything that brings it off as its own unique style?

It plays like Max Payne on crack and a lot less narrative, amazing visual design, etc.

Zertez

Definitely try the demo several times, using various weapons, different styles,tactics and all the tools provided especially the suit and its mechanics. It took a few of my friends a couple of hours for the game to click. At first they were just playing the game to get past levels and encounters as fast as possible just to beat the game, but then I told them to try killing things with style and mixing things up with the suit and time stopping. That is when things changed for them and they were hooked. One of them is better than me now, he pulls off some insane kills on bosses.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, I just downloaded the EU PSN version and it doesn't load my US version saves. Any way to get around this? :(

Alucrid

Banned
Redownloaded this since it's on PS+ and I have a few questions.

Were the laser cannon or boost machine gun always in it? I don't remember having them in the 360 version. Also I feel like I didn't play it stylishly enough the first time through, any decent guides for this?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Laser Cannon and Boost Machine gun were preorder DLC along with Anti-Armor Pistol.

that's pretty awesome if they just come standard in the digital version

katkombat

Banned
Can't wait to get further in this. I just beat the first boss but man is the game kicking my ass on NORMAL. NORMAL! (I love it) Great game so far.

KalBalboa

Banned
Grabbed this on PS+ and have put a few hours into it... it hasn't clicked for me yet. Hopefully it does before I finish it. I've had so many people recommend it and push it on me as a need-to-play that I can't help but expect I got overhyped for it, but we'll see.

Grabbed this on PS+ and have put a few hours into it... it hasn't clicked for me yet. Hopefully it does before I finish it. I've had so many people recommend it and push it on me as a need-to-play that I can't help but expect I got overhyped for it, but we'll see.

Yeah, this is a real bad game to go in expecting one of the best games of the generation. For me it is, but especially at the end of this console cycle, the game is starting to look and even feel dated (slightly).

I went into it expecting a fun action game, and what I got was a spiritual successor to every side scrolling shooter I loved on the SNES. I think that's how I'd recommend it to other folks.

A few things to note that might encourage a more fun experience. Experiment with what you can really do. If you play it Gears style then you might not have a whole lot of fun. Not that there's a wrong way to play it, but experimenting and taking some risks really pays off. Don't hesitate to get up in enemies faces. Most of all of my first playthrough I was missing out on a number of features.

You can go into AR mode out of a roll, when you jump out of cover, and out of some melee attacks. Grab a shotgun and start blasting enemies while jumping around them and going in and out of AR. The disc launcher is loads of fun. It can cut off individual limbs of enemies, which will affect how they attack you.

And on enemies in general, most of them can be killed very quickly if you figure out what part of their body to target. For example, you can take out the standard grunts with a shot to the head, and Romanov tanks can be exploded. Also, when you see the hovercrafts or walking mechs, aim for the driver. There's a big payoff in really getting a hang of the controls and how to approach different enemies, which will lead you to being able to tackle a bunch head on instead of needing to stay behind cover constantly.

Hope you enjoy it enough to consider giving hard difficulty a shot. Also, if you want to be a straight baller, throw a grenade, wait a second, then activate AR and shoot your grenade when it's right above a group of enemies. *thumbs up*

Phatcorns

Pretty good game. Just finished it. The story was so bad that I am shocked and amazed that there were actually writers for this game.

Gameplay took a while to click. Was playing like a Gears game for a long time until I started to master the slow down effect. At first I was just using cover and popping and shooting. Then I realized the most effective and fun way to play.

Overall, worth a playthrough and definitely since it was free on PS Plus.

cj_iwakura

Story mode got a bit samey(disappointed at
the lack of resolution at the end
), but I still enjoyed it.

Challenge mode, now this is delicious.

2/5 done.

Pretty good game. Just finished it. The story was so bad that I am shocked and amazed that there were actually writers for this game.

Gameplay took a while to click. Was playing like a Gears game for a long time until I started to master the slow down effect. At first I was just using cover and popping and shooting. Then I realized the most effective and fun way to play.

Overall, worth a playthrough and definitely since it was free on PS Plus.

The story felt like it was definitely written by the same people who wrote Bayonetta.

malfcn

I am still looking for a cheap Xbox deal on this game. Looks cool..but I remember having a difficult time with the demo.

Nickiepoo

To those having trouble with challange 4, the thing that really helped me was in working out how to kill the tank fast (EMPs/shotgun to the back) without using the rocket launcher, which becomes hugely valuble in the last wave.

cj_iwakura

Challenge 4 is going to drive me to drink. Came so close to wave 5, then one slice and dead.

I knew that thing would be a killer.

And I've already done Challenge 5!

ZenaxPure

Guys I can't stop playing this game. I finally got around to playing it a few days ago (had the copy from PS+) and after beating the game I immediately started playing again on Hard. I feel like such a badass when I vault over cover in slow-mo and kill a dude then switch to my pistol/sniper and murder another man off in the distance all before hitting the ground.

I don't think the enemy design is very interesting but the use of bullet time combined with how very different every weapon feels makes me not care.

I think I am going to go for the platinum trophy.

JoeFenix

Still not as hard as the two bogeys on god hard though :p

Fuck these guys, I remember getting to them on God Hard when the game came out.... holy shit!

DIE, LET'S GO, AIM CAREFULLY

It was worth it in the end though

Vanquish.jpg

Left me with a bad case of gamer thumb judging from the picture haha!

Top Bottom