• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

parkinho

Greatest action game currently in existence.

Agreed! When I thought nothing would ever top Bayonetta, Platinum manage to outdo themselves with this masterpiece of a game. Reading this thread has made me want to ditch all the other games I'm playing at the moment and start another run through of this, maybe even on God Hard this time.

∀ Narayan;33399270 said:
Not really. There are some similarities, but I'm mostly disappointed with the Rising trailer.

The Metal Gear Rex suplex and choice of camera angles for that sequence screamed Vanquish to me.

rvy

Banned
∀ Narayan;33400581 said:
Yeah, that's the one scene that definitely has a Vanquish vibe to it. It just doesn't look nearly as cool as anything from Vanquish, however.

Oh snap.

I have failed to see any resemblance to Vanquish in the Rising trailer so far.

NM0dz

Neo Member
I have to say, after seeing the Revengeance trailer I'm now inspired and want to try Vanquish. Is there much of a difference between the 360 and PS3 version?

conman

I have to say, after seeing the Revengeance trailer I'm now inspired and want to try Vanquish. Is there much of a difference between the 360 and PS3 version?
I played through the game (multiple times) on PS3 without noticing anything ugly. I think the two versions are about as equal as they come.

Regardless of the version you choose, I'm excited for you. There's a reason Vanquish has such a devout following.

NM0dz

Neo Member
thanks guys, i'm excited for this game - looks great in the gameplay videos i've seen.
it's a shame it wasn't advertised much (or at all where i live), the cover makes it look pretty generic.

kamspy

I Gamefly'd this when it came out, never really had time for it and sent it back before I could properly play it.

....but I picked it up for $5.50 during some Black Friday sale on PS3. Wife and kids were out of the house last night so I got to play it on the big hog HT 5.1 will the volume cranked. What a game. Best $5 ever. Prone cover is the best cover. And I always make sure to smoke a cig on every occasion.

I finally am getting back into this game. Had it for a quite a while now, but was still living in the standard def world. (Yeah, I know..) On my old TV, I had trouble seeing the upgrade and item boxes and the text was so small, but I'm enjoying it so much more now that I can actually see everything. Also refreshing to play such a fast paced game after messing with Skyward Sword and Skyrim over the past couple of weeks.

Anteater

I finally am getting back into this game. Had it for a quite a while now, but was still living in the standard def world. (Yeah, I know..) On my old TV, I had trouble seeing the upgrade and item boxes and the text was so small, but I'm enjoying it so much more now that I can actually see everything. Also refreshing to play such a fast paced game after messing with Skyward Sword and Skyrim over the past couple of weeks.

Did you try that SDTV mode in option? Someone told me it's actually pretty good, never seen it in action though

Did you try that SDTV mode in option? Someone told me it's actually pretty good, never seen it in action though

I'm pretty sure I had it turned on since I usually check out options before I start a game, but it most likely didn't do much of a difference, since it was a small CRT I had used for college, so I think it was only around 19". The difference is readability was immense when I switched to HD.

rvy

Banned

Enjoy the ride.

Spacebar

Meh, just got an email from Best Buy. They canceled my order from Black Friday because they can't get any more in stock.

Same here. My friend even ordered his after me days later with in store pick up and got it shipped to a store close to us later that week. When I ordered the in store pick up wasn't available. GARBAGE BEST BUY!

grendelrt

Same here. My friend even ordered his after me days later with in store pick up and got it shipped to a store close to us later that week. When I ordered the in store pick up wasn't available. GARBAGE BEST BUY!

Yup they just cancelled my order. Just a reminder why I dont ever shop there anymore haha

Minamu

How hard is hard in this game? I've done everything but collect the trophies and challenges and most of it was a breeze. Anything in particular to be mindful of?

Oreoleo

How hard is hard in this game? I've done everything but collect the trophies and challenges and most of it was a breeze. Anything in particular to be mindful of?

It's pretty manageable until the final bosses. They aren't impossible but it can be frustrating.

Hyunkel6

Every time I see this thread bumped, I feel bad for the sealed copy sitting on my shelf. I'll get to it during the Christmas/New Year holidays, I swear. Will do my first playthrough on hard as others suggested.

V-Gief

Like others have already said, hard is the perfect difficulty. Played through it on hard on my first playthrough and it wasn't too difficult. Only speedbump I ran into was the final boss. Took me half a dozen tries or something. Then I decided to tackle the challenges! :D 1-5 was easy peasy lemon squeezy. Challenge 6 I probably spent more time on that I spent on my entire hard playthrough haha. *shakes fist at Bogey A & B*

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Challenges 4 and 6

OSHAN

BB canceled mine as well. I already own the game and beat it but I thought it would be a great Christmas gift. Can't go wrong with Vanquish for 5 bucks. Oh, wait, yes you can ... you can order it from BB.

Minamu

Like others have already said, hard is the perfect difficulty. Played through it on hard on my first playthrough and it wasn't too difficult. Only speedbump I ran into was the final boss. Took me half a dozen tries or something. Then I decided to tackle the challenges! :D 1-5 was easy peasy lemon squeezy. Challenge 6 I probably spent more time on that I spent on my entire hard playthrough haha. *shakes fist at Bogey A & B*
I see :) Good to know.

Challenges 4 and 6
This, I am very much aware of. Not sure I've beaten any of the challenges yet. So nothing in particular about the story mode then. except a couple of bosses maybe. Great :)

So, this game is pretty great. Finally getting the hang of where and when it's appropriate to boost and ARM... I think. Not sure exactly how best to play. Is it just about moving around the battlefield constantly, making sure danger can't touch you? Is it about getting behind the enemy before they can take you out? Not sure. But I know it's awesome when you get through a battle unscathed, having made use of every single trick up your sleeve. The boost kick is a godsend, if everything goes to shit with massive enemies, too. Think I'll leave the difficulty on 'Normal' for now, though. :p

I love the characters and dialogue. It's hammy as all hell, but that's why I like it. Dat Mikami goofiness. The Sam/Burns shit-talking is just the best. Not sure if I like the weird 'friendship is awesome' stuff though, haha.

Glad I got it. Glad my hype for Revengeance leading to me getting this wasn't a bad idea. :p

Enjoy the ride.

Thanks, just completed the game today. What a great experience it was throughout. Loved how they took the mechanics of a third person shooter and just ramped and sped it up to the point of making it a true action game.

Only major gripe was some of the one hit kills from a few of the bosses. Most are easily avoidable, but the boss you repeatedly run into in Act 3 had a grapple attack that was a pain in the ass when I would try to dodge and run into a wall.

Not sure exactly how best to play. Is it just about moving around the battlefield constantly, making sure danger can't touch you? Is it about getting behind the enemy before they can take you out? Not sure. But I know it's awesome when you get through a battle unscathed, having made use of every single trick up your sleeve. The boost kick is a godsend, if everything goes to shit with massive enemies, too. Think I'll leave the difficulty on 'Normal' for now, though. :p

I had the same issue at first, trying to figure out when you're really supposed to stay in cover vs traversing the battlefield. I stuck with normal as well, and ended up trying to keep moving as much as possible, since that's the way I was enjoying playing. I'm sure in the hard difficulty, you have to start using cover more effectively, but personally, whatever suits your play style and results in the most fun is the best way to go.

robor

I've thought about it a lot. I've been trying to figure out if I'm crazy or just blind but I think Vanquish could be my third favorite 3D game of all time.

Weasel words? Funny how you've ignored what I've said about the Platinum agreement and the fact they've acknowledged the issue prior discussion. Believe it or not, the Vanquish we are playing is NOT the Vanquish that was originally intended/vision by Platinum but maybe you won't acknowledge that too.

I don't think you really understood what I was saying. I'm saying you as the player should not be put in a disadvantage prior a challenge, your player's characteristics should stay "as is" and the world around you should increase in skills to make God Hard, "God Hard". That's what they practically did for Bayonetta, Devil May Cry 3 and so on. I've mentioned the "Chess-Factor" example with hope to make my point easier for people to understand (happily, a few people did as highlighted here). Unfortunately, if you are still thinking that I am "just weaselling your way out of it", then there is no point continuing this topic because you have made me believe that you'll never "get it".

BTW, I HAVE completed God Hard mode, it was very difficult but I have completed it. I wonder if you have too? Please don't assume that what I've mentioned earlier meant that I am a non-skilled gamer.
You've linked to no such developer "intention" and frankly it doesn't matter, what matters is the game in your DVD tray, not on the drawing board. You're one of those players constantly crying "don't nerf anything, buff everything else instead!!" while having no clue how games are balanced or designed. Thankfully sensible designers know better and realize that nerfing something can be just as effective at altering game balance as buffing, especially when buffing everything else would likely leave you with an even less balanced game.

For example, removing Witch Time from Bayonetta's hardest mode was a far more sensible and appropriate balancing decision than any kind of ridiculous buffs you might give her opponents to try to make the game more difficult otherwise. Same with shortening the length of slowdown time in Vanquish. Weapon upgrades were removed to prevent various balance issues surrounding 'upgrade tricks' or using the quit/restart menus, provides a more even playing field for scoring, and encourages use of different weapons since you won't miss hanging on to one particular weapon or another because it's been upgraded. Or if an RPG removed the ability to level grind on a harder difficulty mode, would you start whining that they took something away from the player? It doesn't matter how much of the game you've completed, your demands are still ridiculous and fly in the face of good game design and balance.

Your ESL level English, broken sentences and grammar make it very hard to read what you're trying to say. Then you try to insult other people for not perfectly understanding what you're trying to say. That's arrogance right there. And yes, you have used weasel words to pretend that by buffing the player, you're not making the game easier or adjusting its balance towards the player.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Thinking back on the year, this could very well be the best game I played in 2011.

Bayonetta never quite clicked for me despite having beaten DMC1 on Dante Must Die mode so long ago. But man, the feeling of you get of clearing a room in Vanquish is just unreal.

I haven't put as much time into Skyrim as I would like yet, Zelda and UC3 sit unopened still, and while I enjoyed Batman, Portal 2, Deus Ex, and a few other big games this year, none of them really resonated as well.

So yea, Vanquish. Only real complaints I had were the cheap unexplained deaths(too often I was left wondering 'why' I died compared to feeling like I messed up). And the final bosses were pretty shit compared to the rest of the game.

This game is awesome, the only shooter I've ever played that actually interests me. I grew-up playing contra and the old school nes/arcade games. Why did this game not sell? I don't think anyone knew much about it.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
You can also get into one of those QTE fist flurries with both of them at the same time that does damage although I am not sure how to force it.

Brought a smile to my face the first time it happened.

Doesn't it automatically trigger when you kill one of them in the endgame boss fight?

Top Bottom