• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

Nizz

After playing it, do you prefer Vanquish or Gears?
Well, I haven't played Gears since I last had a 360 about four years ago. But I did like Gears a lot. I think they're both great in their own way. But I do like the speedier gameplay in Vanquish a bit more. I guess that's a cop out answer? :)

MTMBStudios said:
Play through on Hard/God Hard/Challenges (or at the very least give an earnest go) before making big judgements. The mechanics really shine in the higher difficulties.
Even on normal the game mechanics work great, but I can definitely give the harder modes a go at least. Hope my reflexes hold up (I'm not as young as I used to be). :)

JPKellams

Very LTTP but I managed to get a copy of this game when there was a deal for it at Best Buy for super cheap. I just finished it last night on normal difficulty and I really liked it. Game is pretty damn awesome!

Super hectic gameplay, it's like Gears or other third person shooters on speed. So cool to slide around on the ground to cover and the use of slo-mo is great once I got the hang of it. Graphics were really nice, framerate was also pretty solid (PS3).

Even though it's 30fps the game felt very, very responsive. Controls were great too once I found my sweet spot (I raised all the sensitivities to 55 from the default 50).

The story was nothing to write home about but the important thing is that the gameplay is so good. Some good incentive for replays also to better my times. I think my final game time was 7 hours and change.

Overall I really, really enjoyed it. Definitely has enough to differentiate itself from other third person shooters on the market and I'd love to see a second game in this series.

Glad you enjoyed the game!

Erdrick

Vanquish is the spiritual successor to RE4 and is what RE5 should have been instead, in terms of gameplay and polish, and just overall... awesomeness. You know those cutscenes that are so cool in other games? That's the regular gameplay in Vanquish. It's one of the most overlooked games and was basically, other than Dragon Quest IX, my favourite fame of 2010. The gameplay is SOOOOOO good. You can tell the pedigree of the designers as soon as you get into the first bit of the game. The best action game, bar none, of last year.

Mikami's best action game, that took RE4's gameplay and married it with Gears Of War/Uncharted's cover system with just a little of the sillyness of Godhand thrown in for good measure.

Not that they needed it from me, but this further solidified Platinum Games as a developer that I will buy on name alone, regardless of game or genre. I've loved all 4* of their games thus far, and really look forward to Anarchy Reigns this coming winter.

*I know that Infinite Space was basically done with Nudemaker as well, but it's still a Platinum Game. Just a great game as well.

More people need to play Vanquish!

ScOULaris

I just picked this up as well during the GameStop B2G1 sale after Thanksgiving. I'm loving it so far. It took about an hour or two before the mechanics "clicked" with me, and after that everything just came together. The gameplay is so smooth that it feels like it's running at twice its actual framerate. After watching some of the Japanese players' Challenge Mode videos, I've learned a few tricks and implemented them on my first playthrough. I just feel like a total badass in this game. Mikami/Kamiya is the dream team that keeps on giving, putting other Japanese developers to shame this gen.

I just started Chapter 5. Do I have much longer to go?

Nizz

I just picked this up as well during the GameStop B2G1 sale after Thanksgiving. I'm loving it so far. It took about an hour or two before the mechanics "clicked" with me, and after that everything just came together. The gameplay is so smooth that it feels like it's running at twice its actual framerate. After watching some of the Japanese players' Challenge Mode videos, I've learned a few tricks and implemented them on my first playthrough. I just feel like a total badass in this game. Mikami/Kamiya is the dream team that keeps on giving, putting other Japanese developers to shame this gen.

I just started Chapter 5. Do I have much longer to go?
You're kind of close to the end.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm playing this right now... just finished Act 1.

So far it's pretty cool I guess... I got a little bored while playing though. I know that's crazy considering it's an action game, but it's true.

Not sure that it's clicked with me yet. Gonna give it some more time but I don't feel that compelled to continue. Seems like they put a lot of emphasis on how quickly you can get through a section (that this combined with difficulty is where the depth comes from) and I've never been fond of time attack stuff.

soldat7

So far it's pretty cool I guess... I got a little bored while playing though. I know that's crazy considering it's an action game, but it's true.

Not sure that it's clicked with me yet. Gonna give it some more time but I don't feel that compelled to continue. Seems like they put a lot of emphasis on how quickly you can get through a section (that this combined with difficulty is where the depth comes from) and I've never been fond of time attack stuff.

lol, you have no idea; just keep playing. I'd turn it up to Hard, especially if you're using the DLC weapons. In the top 3 games this gen, IMO.

JoeFenix

JP, any new on Anarchy Reigns? Amazon changed the release date, I know you probably can't say much but will we atleast get some more news about the game soon?

ScOULaris

I kind of felt that same way, but somewhere around the beginning of Act 2 is exactly where the game clicked for me. Look up some Challenge Mode videos on YouTube. You will see that there's a lot more you can do in this game than you probably realize. If you find yourself just playing it like a traditional third-person shooter, you're quite literally playing it wrong.

Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDlZzwod2YQ

Nickiepoo

I kind of felt that same way, but somewhere around the beginning of Act 2 is exactly where the game clicked for me. Look up some Challenge Mode videos on YouTube. You will see that there's a lot more you can do in this game than you probably realize. If you find yourself just playing it like a traditional third-person shooter, you're quite literally playing it wrong.

Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDlZzwod2YQ

...wait, you can charge up melee attacks?

I had quite a bit of fun with this game recently, found it real cheap in a bargain bin. Gameplay is solid and some cool enviroments. A short game though and the story wasn't up to much.

For the shotgun melee, yea, each gun have a different melee attack
O_O mind = blown
I had quite a bit of fun with this game recently, found it real cheap in a bargain bin. Gameplay is solid and some cool enviroments. A short game though and the story wasn't up to much.
Short? What difficulty did you have it on? I thought the campaign was of suitable length during my first playthrough, which was on normal. It's definitely not short on God Hard unless you really know what you are doing.

ScOULaris

Just beat it for the first time. That last boss fight was actually pretty tough. Overall, I thought that the Normal difficulty was spot-on for this game. It forces you to fight smart and think fast, but it's nowhere near aggravating or overly challenging.

On to Challenge Mode...

My favorite thing I never realized until I saw a youtube video was that the disk launcher can decapitate the romanovs - reminds me of how I never realized flash grenades defeat parasites in RE4 until after several playthroughs.

ZeroRay

Always awesome to see this thread pop up.

Would have been the best game this gen by a wide margin if it had a longer campaign. Still, top 3 ain't bad.

Just beat it for the first time. That last boss fight was actually pretty tough. Overall, I thought that the Normal difficulty was spot-on for this game. It forces you to fight smart and think fast, but it's nowhere near aggravating or overly challenging.

On to Challenge Mode...

nice, please post when you reach challenge 4.

Riposte

I just favorited a video of FuturePress blowing through the demo challenge. It was really well done... but now they deleted it out of nowhere before I could post it lol.

Started the game last night. I'm around the end of Chapter 2 or the beginning of 3 now. I'm at the first night time segment. I have a few questions.

Is there any way to activate slow-mo aside from aiming while sliding? I feel like there should be but haven't found another way, though maybe I'm just missing something obvious. I did skip the tutorial.

Does performing a melee attack use up a lot of the suits energy? It feels like it. After I perform a melee I feel like I'm almost always beeping and looking for cover.

The game is fun so far, but I just feel like I can't get in a groove, like I'm just sort of playing it wrong/poorly. It's obvious that I can do some pretty damn awesome stuff, but I don't really know how. For example, I know I can shoot grenades/missiles, but as far as I know that would require me to throw a grenade and then perform a slow-mo slide. Is that right, or is there an easier way? It would be great if I could throw a grenade from cover then peek out a second later and shoot it right as it's above my target.

Any tips are welcome.

BadWolf

Started the game last night. I'm around the end of Chapter 2 or the beginning of 3 now. I'm at the first night time segment. I have a few questions.

Is there any way to activate slow-mo aside from aiming while sliding? I feel like there should be but haven't found another way, though maybe I'm just missing something obvious. I did skip the tutorial.

Does performing a melee attack use up a lot of the suits energy? It feels like it. After I perform a melee I feel like I'm almost always beeping and looking for cover.

The game is fun so far, but I just feel like I can't get in a groove, like I'm just sort of playing it wrong/poorly. It's obvious that I can do some pretty damn awesome stuff, but I don't really know how. For example, I know I can shoot grenades/missiles, but as far as I know that would require me to throw a grenade and then perform a slow-mo slide. Is that right, or is there an easier way? It would be great if I could throw a grenade from cover then peek out a second later and shoot it right as it's above my target.

Any tips are welcome.

-You can go slow motion by aiming while rolling
-You can go slow motion by aiming while jumping over cover
- You can go slow motion by aiming during the heavy machine gun's melee flip attack (best done while whiffing the move)

Pretty much all weapons aside from the Disk Launcher completely drain you suit after one melee attack. The Disk Launcher uses ammo instead but isn't as powerful.

yeah just enter slo mo via roll and shoot the rockets.

jkoch

Aiming while rolling, and aiming while jumping over a barrier. I think there are more that I can't remember at the moment.

It depends on the weapon, but in general a melee attack uses all of your energy.

Khal_B

Sees thread pop up on first page, clicks eagerly hoping for news of a PC release. Leaves disappointed.

Again.

Tain

On to Challenge Mode...

If Normal struck a balance for you, you might not be the biggest fan of Challenge mode!

Oreoleo

Sees thread pop up on first page, clicks eagerly hoping for news of a PC release. Leaves disappointed.

Again.

Never, ever happening. As much as I would like it to.

I play this game in extended spurts.. last time was over the summer for a week or so. Managed to beat the first 3 mission challenges much to my amazement, then probably sunk like 3 or 4 hours into mission 4 and came up just short every time and ended up putting the game down.

Well I came back to the game yesterday, playing through the game on casual going for the 0 death achievement and doing a little achievement whoring, you know, not getting put to the test in any real way. So I decide to give challenge 4 a shot again, sort of to my own chagrin, expecting to get destroyed all over again... but then I beat it on my second try. What? I couldn't believe it.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
You get a trophy/achieve for completing the tutorial so it's worth doing once anyways

Just finished the game a bit ago. My total playtime was 5 1/2 hrs., which, while short and all, is still a good length for a game that's made for replaying. Some thoughts:

The gameplay is fantastic. The controls are pretty much perfection. You have such precise, incredible control no matter how much shit is happening on screen. I posted earlier today about not being entirely sure how I was supposed to really play the game. As soon as I found out about activating AR via roll or jumping cover, the game went from defensive play to fuck yeah. Also, having a menu-less upgrade system was such a great idea. Bravo to that. It's just too bad the cut scenes frequently interrupted where the gameplay was designed to be nonstop.

The environments were actually pretty cool. Seeing the arching rings above me the entire time was probably the coolest in that regard. Very Halo-esque(though not as cool). The change from day to evening to night was also a nice touch to give things some distinct flavor. There was a really cool segment in Chapter 1 or 2 where you're on a monorail and another train with enemies catches up, except that it's upside down, above you. And then it never happened again. The closest thing was the zero gravity segment, which wasn't really anything special.

Story was...well, not worth talking about it. And hey, I didn't come for the story, but man Burns was annoying with his constant yelling. If he was a likable character then I wouldn't have minded so much. Sound was just okay. The soundtrack was boring except for maybe one or two tracks that stuck out. The beeping of Sam's suit when the power is depleted...so annoying.

Recycling the same boss several times sucks, even if it's not really considered a boss encounter, it still takes as long. I'm just referring to the first boss type. I didn't mind the Unknown fights. Those were a lot more fun and felt shorter. The last two boss fights were a blast. The last was particularly tense. Also, those scorpion-type mid-bosses are serious assholes. Good design; they really make keep you on your toes and moving.

Overall I had a lot of fun and I'm betting hard mode is really where Vanquish shines. It's really great to play a game where the gameplay has been polished to that level. However, it sucks that the rest of the game is so bland in comparison. Personally, that kind of thing keeps me from coming back to some games. Aside from gameplay, I tend to replay certain games because I love the atmosphere and the feel of the world. Vanquish definitely doesn't have that appeal, and I wonder if that's the big reason the game seems to have been overlooked by most people(myself included).

I have nothing substantial to say other than I am totally buying this game between now and the end of the year. GAF recommendations have almost always let me down, but I expect good things from Vanquish. Good things.

I have nothing substantial to say other than I am totally buying this game between now and the end of the year. GAF recommendations have almost always let me down, but I expect good things from Vanquish. Good things.

Keep in mind this is a game designed to be mastered and not just played - but being that the game is 20$ MSRP it is probably worth it for the spectacle alone at that price.

TheBear

I have this sitting in my collection gathering dust. After hearing about MGR, I'm gonna give it a crack as soon as I get home. I hope I enjoy it as much as you guys do!

Vanquish is the spiritual successor to RE4 and is what RE5 should have been instead, in terms of gameplay and polish, and just overall... awesomeness. You know those cutscenes that are so cool in other games? That's the regular gameplay in Vanquish. It's one of the most overlooked games and was basically, other than Dragon Quest IX, my favourite fame of 2010. The gameplay is SOOOOOO good. You can tell the pedigree of the designers as soon as you get into the first bit of the game. The best action game, bar none, of last year.

Mikami's best action game, that took RE4's gameplay and married it with Gears Of War/Uncharted's cover system with just a little of the sillyness of Godhand thrown in for good measure.

Not that they needed it from me, but this further solidified Platinum Games as a developer that I will buy on name alone, regardless of game or genre. I've loved all 4* of their games thus far, and really look forward to Anarchy Reigns this coming winter.

*I know that Infinite Space was basically done with Nudemaker as well, but it's still a Platinum Game. Just a great game as well.

More people need to play Vanquish!

This guy!
[slow_clap.gif]

monome

I did a bit. I wonder if they're using the Vanquish engine for that game?

They use the Bayonetta/Vanquish/Anarchy engine.

And yes, Rising looks much more akin to Vanquish than Bayonetta and certainly fits as a good (but certainly rushed) combination of all their PS360 games.

The fights look less dynamic than Bayonetta and a brawler essence rather the severly elegant desing of DMC/Bayonetta.

I get the feeling they want the gameplay to be brutal and concentrated, which is fine since you're a ninja-cyborg with an electric sword.

Jamesways

Oh shit. This game is fucking awesome.

Yeah it really is. I picked it up cheap a few days ago and just beat it last night on normal. Wow at that ending.

The gameplay is great, it's really a lot of fun. It's just bonkers how fast it is.
Some of the enemy designs were excellent too. That first fight with Unknown was great!

The story and dialogue was just ok, but overall the game just felt really solid and polished.

Top Bottom