• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vanquish (PC) |OT| Steam Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Knees

atpbx

On Normal at 60fps there is little to no difference between how difficult the game is on PC or PS3.

If you had never played the PS3 version you would think that the PC versions difficulty level is round about right.

Manatox

Just finished it at normal difficulty at 144 FPS.

I was a bit reluctant to play it with the FPS difficulty bug, but it wasn't that hard to be honest. Barely died, except for the 2nd to last boss, which was harder due to the chaos there.

I guess it's pretty hard at harder difficulties, but at normal it's very doable even when playing at 144 FPS.

Trojan X

Banned
The game was advertised as having an unlocked framerate, that feature is not working as intended. What's so hard to understand?

I thought the bug some people are upset about had nothing to do with the frame rate itself, it's to do with the damage levels that is affected by the frame rate counter (the higher the frame rate, the greater the damage and vice versa)? Definitely, this is something that can be fixed, the only thing we need at this point is to acknowledge from the devs but remember... this is still the weekend, not a weekday.

None the less.... This is not spoiling my enjoyment because I know how insane God Hard mode really is so I'd need as much training I can by playing Hard mode.

Kent

I thought the bug some people are upset about had nothing to do with the frame rate itself, it's to do with the damage levels that is affected by the frame rate counter (the higher the frame rate, the greater the damage and vice versa)?

Here's a question for you: Why do you differentiate between "frame rate" and "frame rate counter?"

Damage to the player is affected by frame rate. This is obviously a bug, but it would realistically be classified as a bug involving damage calculations and involving frame rate, as the bug exists as an interaction between these two things. It therefore necessarily involves the frame rate itself.

SEGA noticed!

UPDATE 1 (28 MAY)

Hi Vanquish fans,

We've seen the reports linking framerate to damage taken in-game, as well as other issues reported in this thread, and we are investigating.

Please watch this space for further updates -- we'll keep you posted.

Thank you for your reports and system specs!

We can expect this and other things to be pached soon.
Bye, bye wannabe hard-cores "I'm so good I can beat broken difficulties, look how pro I am".

Good to hear that they're acknowledging the bug.

On Normal at 60fps there is little to no difference between how difficult the game is on PC or PS3.

If you had never played the PS3 version you would think that the PC versions difficulty level is round about right.

Maybe you're right. I've never played the game before and now I play on normal. After 2 hours, I've died like a couple of hours and both deaths were due to my own mistake like rushing to the front of the line alone.

Anteater

Yea I trust Sega on patches, unlike SE :p

yeah isn't hard just higher damage and shorter AR time anyway? I'm just playing on normal so it's fine

Manzoon

Banned
So it this not playable at 60 frames on normal? I'm considering pulling the trigger but I can wait.
It's definitely playable on normal. I never played it back in the day and I wasn't having that hard of a time. I'm dying a lot because I'm trying to do over the top dangerous stuff while getting a handle on the game mechanics, haha.

Llyranor

What's the easiest way to get a macro to turn dodge into boost-dodge?

So it this not playable at 60 frames on normal? I'm considering pulling the trigger but I can wait.

I finished the game on normal. You might die faster (which still shouldn't happen that much on normal), but kb/m also makes you much deadlier so I guess it balances out. It's very very playable and a lot of fun.

I'm keeping the game on hold until it gets patched before I play the challenges, though.

Zeneric

at least we know sega will patch vanquish like they did with (some of?) their other games in the past. unlike squareenix (yes im still annoyed with nier automata still not patched after two months).

pa22word

Did they ever fix the issue with Dark Souls 2 durability?

That was no where near as high priority as this bug though.

Not really.

Once the game hit consoles and From couldn't ignore it any more they patched scholar to just have higher durability on weapons across the board but the base bug with regards to performance is still there.

Oreoleo

Yeesh. I can't even get past Challenge 1. I must really suck lmao

The challenges are definitely a bit of a wall compared to the campaign. Just keep at it and you'll find the rhythm eventually. Experiment with other weapons available that you might now normally use, they can be more useful than you think. Once you get the first one beaten the others should fall in short order until #6 :)

5Jihh3c.gif

Vibranium

Banned
If this is accurate then it seems like it should be fairly easy for little stone to fix, I was worried it may have been somehow related to collision.

Well, they do have a test branch in the Steam database, so a fix is in the works. Luckily the modder is helping fans out with a temporary patch until Little Stone release the official one (probably either this week or next week).

epmode

Not really.

Once the game hit consoles and From couldn't ignore it any more they patched scholar to just have higher durability on weapons across the board but the base bug with regards to performance is still there.

They never bothered to fix the original release on PC? Bad form. I hope there's a fan fix or something.

Wanderer5

Well beaten it, and still think this is quite a solid shooter. Yeah the story goes to shit, and the game kind of fizzles out towards the end, but what a freaking blast it is. I am happy that a PC version came around.

Fudo Myo

They've made a beta patch publicly available:

UPDATE 2 (29 MAY)

It’s a holiday here in the UK, but we wanted to get a patch out to you as quickly as possible, so we have made publicly available our beta patch. Please note that this patch has not been QA checked, so install at your own risk!

To install, go to Vanquish in your Steam library, right click and select “Properties,” then go to the “Betas” tab. In the field to enter the beta access code, type the password

PatchBetaTest

(caps-sensitive); “public_patch” will now appear in the drop down menu. Select it and close the Properties menu.

This patch addresses the following:
• Fixed an issue with invincibility frame timing (which sometimes allowed the player to get hit more frequently at higher frame rates).
• Fixed an issue with health regeneration at higher frame rates.
• Fixed an issue when resetting to default on the options menu.
• Fixed an issue with video cutscenes skipping early for some players.
• Fixed an animation issue when sliding backwards and aiming using keyboard and mouse.
• Adjusted cutscene audio volume.

The patch also adds two more command line functions:
• -monitor 2 (or any number in a multi-monitor setup)

This will allow users to select which monitor to treat as the primary device, which will allow full screen exclusive to work on that display.

• -window

This will force the game to boot into windowed mode (which should help some players if the game is defaulting to an unsupported resolution).

Please feel free to give the beta patch a go and report your findings in this thread. Thank you.

Well, apologies, but count me among the defenders because I think your arguments are as subjective as those you're frustrated with. Eurogamer's quote that the game is "every bit as good as you would hope!" seems pretty logically distinct from "it's quantitatively the exact same experience you had on console!" No offense, but why should other players join you in being dissatisfied if they're happy with the current experience and unaware/unaffected by the gameplay differences with a version they never played?

The comment about breaking the game design with a mouse seems to imply a purchase context and expectation significantly different from most of us who bought the game on PC specifically to experience it with mouse aim at high framerate. I'm not surprised that you feel especially frustrated with your purchase based on the current damage bug, and hey, that's your right as a consumer, but I disagree with your claim that the game is "busted" and your characterization of everyone who defends it as being enjoyable in its current state (including popular publications) as an apologist. I empathize with you, and I've felt that way about a lot of games that released over the past couple years, but I'll have to disagree on this one.

I don't think it's fair to say it's "broken". By all accounts it's very playable on normal difficulty, so at best one could say it's partially broken (hard, god hard).

I forgot to mention, I definitely wouldn't call Bayonetta broken. I had excellent performance on an old PC, and the only bugs I remember were AA not working properly and cutscenes having picture-in-picture.
I don't mean to keep this going unnecessarily, but I figured I would try to clarify my position a bit.

You guys might be looking too deeply into the word, but Vanquish PC is broken. The game was designed and balanced around certain expectations -- "enemies do this amount of damage" -- and if you run it above 30fps you don't get that. The game's design is fundamentally broken. This isn't the actual Vanquish game anymore. Some people might prefer that, just like Broken Street Fighter 2 has its fans, and that's perfectly fine, but this game wasn't sold to us as Broken Vanquish.

I do probably care about playing a game how it's intended/designed more than most gamers do, that's definitely true. (I also recognize how murky the issue can get, that I could be accused of hypocrisy for being cool with higher resolutions and framerate, but I feel I can see a reasonably solid, consistent line there.) But I truly don't understand how anybody can seriously defend a game that isn't working on a basic, mathematical level. These games aren't free, why don't all of us expect them to properly work just like we'd expect any non-game product we buy to work?

Obviously if you're having fun that's great, honest, and I don't mean to come across as trying to censor your fun. But I just feel gaming would be in a much better place if this sort of thing wasn't given such a wide pass. Having games function as designed isn't too much to ask for from publishers.

Hopefully this damage issue will be fixed in a manner of days and my absurdly emotional ranting here will just be a dumb historical footnote. I even hope they include a command line option for those of you who prefer Broken Vanquish!

(For the record I don't consider Bayonetta PC a broken port, though it definitely had some bizarre issues at launch. [I'm still unconvinced the torture attacks are working as intended, but that's ultimately fairly minor.] I was referencing Nier Automata as Platinum's other broken port this year.)
I've barely had 10 minutes to play the game so far but knowing about the frame rate bug is souring things even if it seems silly. I already own and have finished the game for 360 so I bought this to play at a ridiculous framerate at a higher difficulty.

I've just recently finished another Platinum pc port that required a fan patch to play and shows no sign of getting an official patch months after release. I don't blame Platinum or any porting houses that may be involved. I work in non-video game publishing and in our industry the publisher would be bending over backwards to save face if a problem like this came up. The publisher has to 100% stand by anything they put their name on.

Really considering getting a refund until they fix it (if they ever do).
I don't think Platinum is completely undeserving of blame when they release buggy software. Surely their contracts suggest they'll release fully functional software, right? But it's unclear how much they actually worked on this Vanquish port, or whether they even had the power to tell Sega the port is broken and they shouldn't release it in this state. Maybe they did warn Sega!

My problems with Platinum here come down more to their more zealous lovers on GAF. I suspect if the Crash Bandicoot remakes come to PC and all of the hitboxes are double their intended size, people would be howling for Activision's blood.

Oreoleo

That's honestly really impressive that they got even a beta patch out so fast, with fixes for more than just the frame rate bug.

I don't mean to keep this going unnecessarily, but I figured I would try to clarify my position a bit.

You guys might be looking too deeply into the word, but Vanquish PC is broken. The game was designed and balanced around certain expectations -- "enemies do this amount of damage" -- and if you run it above 30fps you don't get that. The game's design is fundamentally broken. This isn't the actual Vanquish game anymore. Some people might prefer that, just like Broken Street Fighter 2 has its fans, and that's perfectly fine, but this game wasn't sold to us as Broken Vanquish.

I do probably care about playing a game how it's intended/designed more than most gamers do, that's definitely true. (I also recognize how murky the issue can get, that I could be accused of hypocrisy for being cool with higher resolutions and framerate, but I feel I can see a reasonably solid, consistent line there.) But I truly don't understand how anybody can seriously defend a game that isn't working on a basic, mathematical level. These games aren't free, why don't all of us expect them to properly work just like we'd expect any non-game product we buy to work?

Obviously if you're having fun that's great, honest, and I don't mean to come across as trying to censor your fun. But I just feel gaming would be in a much better place if this sort of thing wasn't given such a wide pass. Having games function as designed isn't too much to ask for from publishers.

Hopefully this damage issue will be fixed in a manner of days and my absurdly emotional ranting here will just be a dumb historical footnote. I even hope they include a command line option for those of you who prefer Broken Vanquish!

(For the record I don't consider Bayonetta PC a broken port, though it definitely had some bizarre issues at launch. [I'm still unconvinced the torture attacks are working as intended, but that's ultimately fairly minor.] I was referencing Nier Automata as Platinum's other broken port this year.)

I don't think Platinum is completely undeserving of blame when they release buggy software. Surely their contracts suggest they'll release fully functional software, right? But it's unclear how much they actually worked on this Vanquish port, or whether they even had the power to tell Sega the port is broken and they shouldn't release it in this state. Maybe they did warn Sega!

My problems with Platinum here come down more to their more zealous lovers on GAF. I suspect if the Crash Bandicoot remakes come to PC and all of the hitboxes are double their intended size, people would be howling for Activision's blood.

The game is playable, I've been waiting for 7 years to play it again and there is a patch now. The Beta patch took less than a week from launch and only a few days after the issue was spotted.

I'm still waiting for Vanquish 2.

Impressive. Can only test it later.

Does the patch also fix this here?:
td1Welq.gif

Or is it part of "Fixed an issue with video cutscenes skipping early for some players"?
Because the gif here is in-engine, not video.

Is that door opening early? I don't even know how that affects anything.

Top Bottom