• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vanquish (PC) |OT| Steam Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Knees

nullref

Is it normal that melees completely empty your gauge? It's very annoying having to wait for it to recharge just because I pressed F on a dude on my face every single time. Discouraged to ever use melee tbh, I'll just continue shooting my gun even if an enemy is on my face at this point.

Melee moves in this game are more like special moves to be used situationally for their unique properties, rather than something you do whenever you're at close range. They're a bit more of an advanced thing because you have to understand their properties and when to use them. It's probably pretty normal to not use them much until you get to a certain level of skill with the game.

You can do the slow mo by slide kicking off of cover, though. Doing that doesn't overheat your suit. The backflip for the machine gun you can also perform without draining your gauge as long as you don't make direct contact.

Going to take a break and see if they fix the damage, though.

Even though the sniper doesn't play to Vanquish strenghts, it still seems really useful to me if you want to lame it out, with mouse and keyboard you can often just headshot guys from outside aggro range.
I wanted to like it but the AP Pistol seemed to outperform it in rof, aim, damage, ammo etc. or at least the upgrades payed off faster. Pistol is still pinpoint accurate though lacking range. The Sniper was demoted to a secondary lower damaging quick headshot weapon before upgrading the pistol and then I stopped picking it up as ammo went up.

I think the bug (at 60 fps) is ok if they fix it soon, playing on hard now and it's a good challenge.
The gameplay in Vanquish is pretty awesome, I hope people give it a good chance if they don't feel it yet.

didamangi

Is the terrible sound mixing also in the console version as well? FMV is loud, and quiet in game. Guns, explosions and effects is a bit underwhelming because of it.

Mupod

I turned it up to 4K which makes my 970 run it at a pretty consistent 40fps. Then I turned it down to normal and it seems like I'm not dying instantly anymore. I wish enemies had a little more hp, but I've beaten this game like 5 times on 360 this is just for fun.

Trojan X

Banned
I turned it up to 4K which makes my 970 run it at a pretty consistent 40fps. Then I turned it down to normal and it seems like I'm not dying instantly anymore. I wish enemies had a little more hp, but I've beaten this game like 5 times on 360 this is just for fun.

5 times on Hard or Normal? If not on Hard then you should give yourself a challenge.

Robiin

Just read about the framerate=more damage bug. Maybe that is why I'm finding the game hard as balls even on lower difficulties (normal).

I'm probably just bad at games.

Anyway, is there a way to limit framerate? I see refresh rate in the options menu but the only option is 60Hz. I have Nvidia Inspector but there's no profile for Vanquish.

Shifty

Just read about the framerate=more damage bug. Maybe that is why I'm finding the game hard as balls even on lower difficulties (normal).

I'm probably just bad at games.

Anyway, is there a way to limit framerate? I see refresh rate in the options menu but the only option is 60Hz

You should be able to force a lower refresh rate via your graphics card's control panel. Failing that, RivaTuner has a built-in framerate limiter that works well.

Robiin

You should be able to force a lower refresh rate via your graphics card's control panel. Failing that, RivaTuner has a built-in framerate limiter that works well.
Thanks, in Nvidia control panel I don't see the option for refresh rate unfortunately. Will look up RivaTuner!

Trojan X

Banned
Is it normal that melees completely empty your gauge? It's very annoying having to wait for it to recharge just because I pressed F on a dude on my face every single time. Discouraged to ever use melee tbh, I'll just continue shooting my gun even if an enemy is on my face at this point.
Yes. It's game balancing otherwise you are too OP as you will abuse it on every single situation including the bosses. Melee is powerful in this game and there are many variety and purposes depending on your weapon, so it would be silly for the dev to leave this open for abuse.

Trojan X

Banned
Is the terrible sound mixing also in the console version as well? FMV is loud, and quiet in game. Guns, explosions and effects is a bit underwhelming because of it.

You should message the dev via steam to put an FMV volume controller on the menu settings. That would allow the user to balance everything.

sixghost

I'm playing on Hard, by Act 3 the extra damage bug even on only 60 FPS is getting really tiresome.

Is there much point to weapons like the Disc Launcher, Lock-on Laser, LFE gun? I've always found it easier just to use machine gun, assault rifle, and shotgun/ anti-armor pistol, especially later in the game with all the Romanovs.

The disc launcher is great against Romanovs. A single shot aimed at their head or leg will incapacitate them in different ways. A headshot blinds them, and a shot to the leg makes them unable to move.

The LFE is awesome, as it goes through walls, has a huge projectile, and knocks down almost every type of enemy. With the reloading trick you can easily stun lock any enemy for as long as you have ammo.

Hypron

The disc launcher is great against Romanovs. A single shot aimed at their head or leg will incapacitate them in different ways. A headshot blinds them, and a shot to the leg makes them unable to move.

The LFE is awesome, as it goes through walls, has a huge projectile, and knocks down almost every type of enemy. With the reloading trick you can easily stun lock any enemy for as long as you have ammo.

The LFE also kills enemies in 1 hit if you hit them right when they teleport. I think it also kills flying enemies in 1 hit.

didamangi

You should message the dev via steam to put an FMV volume controller on the menu settings. That would allow the user to balance everything.

Looks like some fans already put up a list of bugs on that bug report thread on steam. Probably gonna hold of playing until they fix the damage bug. Liked what I've played so far though.

Zanzura

so... never use melee ever?

Save it for big targets or large groups of enemies to slide-dropkick with to take out multiple targets in the air with AR mode. Different weapons have different melee attacks such as the shotgun's chargeable backfist. You can also use that slide-dropkick off cover or walls to get the height boost as well and not go into overheat. Unfortunately if you're playing on hard or try to melee a huge group of enemies, you may risk getting shredded if your FPS is too high, so... wait for them to fix the game, lol.

EDIT: Derp, forgot to refresh after restoring tabs, I see others have responded several times over now. :/

Zaventem

LFE 1 shots the red gorgies and the ball enemies, they're invulnerable in that mode unless you have a piercing weapon... (aka LFE or the anti armor pistol) you'll learn to love that gun on challenge 6.

Valahart

So, I preordered it and was planning to start it this weekend. Has Sega said anything about the FPS damage issue? Any expectation for a patch soon?

Definitely won't cap the framerate to play it.

renzolama

The idea that people are intentionally capping framerate on PC is so depressing. The bug doesn't affect iframe mechanics and shouldn't significantly affect gameplay strategies on anything below the hardest difficulties. If you're dying quickly on Casual/Normal then it's extremely likely to be due to general gameplay skills that you should be learning/improving rather than the damage bug in question. Don't throw away the beautiful gift that is high-fps Vanquish because you died a couple times and got frustrated.

sixghost

so... never use melee ever?

Use it to finish off enemies when you know you can get back to cover and wait for your suit to cool down. The boosting melee is really good because it pops you into the air afterwards. If you hold Aim-mode after the hit you will go into slow motion in the air giving you a great angle to finish off that enemy or shoot others as the slow-mo drains.

Hypron

getting my ass handed to me in god hard...yeah , it's the bug..right?...yeah, that must be it.

Even without the bug God Hard is brutal haha. Just wait until you get to the last 2 boss fights.

It's probably the hardest hard mode I've ever played. I didn't actually finish it though, I got fed up of the final boss.

I might give it another try on the PC version.

The idea that people are intentionally capping framerate on PC is so depressing. The bug doesn't affect iframe mechanics and shouldn't significantly affect gameplay strategies on anything below the hardest difficulties. If you're dying quickly on Casual/Normal then it's extremely likely to be due to general gameplay skills that you should be learning/improving rather than the damage bug in question. Don't throw away the beautiful gift that is high-fps Vanquish because you died a couple times and got frustrated.

I've beaten this game several times on all difficulties on PS3. There is absolutely a damage issue. Normal is way harder than it was on PS3. God Hard is just bonkers. What I did to beat it several times on PS3 should transition over. It doesn't. There is a huge divide between the damage you take between 30 FPS PS3 Vanquish and 144 FPS PC Vanquish.

Anteater

getting my ass handed to me in god hard...yeah , it's the bug..right?...yeah, that must be it.

it was hard as fuck without the bug, it'll probably still be hard as fuck when they patch it

but yeah

it's hard

like it wasn't anything like hard, lmao

Rokal

Normal is totally playable with the FPS damage bug, but anything higher than that is probably a bad idea.

I'm more annoyed by the terrible sound mixing in the game. Everything besides cinematics sound whisper quite, while cinematics are crazy loud. And there are a ton of them randomly placed in every single mission.

Still, the PC version does look and feel great to play. It'll be the definitive experience of the game after patching some issues.

renzolama

I've beaten this game several times on all difficulties on PS3. There is absolutely a damage issue. Normal is way harder than it was on PS3. God Hard is just bonkers. What I did to beat it several times on PS3 should transition over. It doesn't. There is a huge divide between the damage you take between 30 FPS PS3 Vanquish and 144 FPS PC Vanquish.

My opinions are obviously subjective to my experience, having beaten the X360 version on all difficulties and found the PC release to actually be less difficult on casual/normal due to increased mouse aim precision. As far as I can tell, I don't think my statements are in direct conflict with yours. I didn't claim there isn't a damage bug or that you don't take significantly more damage at 144hz over 30hz in identical gameplay scenarios. I said that the increased damage in question should not be significant enough to affect your progress on casual/normal difficulty if you're taking advantage of the evade/iframe/AR mechanics the game is built around, and that the increased framerate is a fundamental gameplay benefit of the PC release that is not worth trading for the damage mitigation in question on those difficulty levels. The harder difficulties, where it's more difficult to avoid damage via iframe mechanics, are indeed "bonkers."

What I find so depressing is we got sold another broken port of a Platinum game and we're still seeing defenders for it. Sega, Platinum, Little Stone, somebody should have properly tested this product before they took our money and released it. And while I love the Digital Foundry guys and they obviously deserve no blame for the port's quality, "PC Vanquish is every bit as good as you would hope" is at best extremely misleading.

We paid for freaking Vanquish on PC, that's what was sold to us, and that's not what we got. There's no defense for that, even if some players think "GIT GUD!" (AKA break the game's design with a mouse) is a fine solution.

I'm holding on to the game for now and I'm optimistic about an early damage fix patch (and I'd love a sound mixing fix too), but right now the game is busted and nobody should be an apologist for that.

Trojan X

Banned
What I find so depressing is we got sold another broken port of a Platinum game and we're still seeing defenders for it. Sega, Platinum, Little Stone, somebody should have properly tested this product before they took our money and released it. And while I love the Digital Foundry guys and they obviously deserve no blame for the port's quality, "PC Vanquish is every bit as good as you would hope" is at best extremely misleading.

We paid for freaking Vanquish on PC, that's what was sold to us, and that's not what we got. There's no defense for that, even if some players think "GIT GUD!" (AKA break the game's design with a mouse) is a fine solution.

I'm holding on to the game for now and I'm optimistic about an early damage fix patch (and I'd love a sound mixing fix too), but right now the game is busted and nobody should be an apologist for that.

Love to see your reactions once the bug is fixed. Personally, im having a ball on Vanquish. Going crazy nuts like im controlling another anime. The damage bug is not extreme for me to stop having that fun. Madness to condemn the game because of this glitch.

None the less, for those that brought both vanquish and bayonetta, you can go play bayonetta and keep your copy of vanquish pretty until the patch come. Or, and even better, practise the fuck out of vanquish by replaying the first 2 stages because believe me, you best to train and hone your skills as the later levels on hard and God Hard mode are insane, especially on hamburger hill.

renzolama

Well, apologies, but count me among the defenders because I think your arguments are as subjective as those you're frustrated with. Eurogamer's quote that the game is "every bit as good as you would hope!" seems pretty logically distinct from "it's quantitatively the exact same experience you had on console!" No offense, but why should other players join you in being dissatisfied if they're happy with the current experience and unaware/unaffected by the gameplay differences with a version they never played?

The comment about breaking the game design with a mouse seems to imply a purchase context and expectation significantly different from most of us who bought the game on PC specifically to experience it with mouse aim at high framerate. I'm not surprised that you feel especially frustrated with your purchase based on the current damage bug, and hey, that's your right as a consumer, but I disagree with your claim that the game is "busted" and your characterization of everyone who defends it as being enjoyable in its current state (including popular publications) as an apologist. I empathize with you, and I've felt that way about a lot of games that released over the past couple years, but I'll have to disagree on this one.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't think it's fair to say it's "broken". By all accounts it's very playable on normal difficulty, so at best one could say it's partially broken (hard, god hard).

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished my first runthrough on Normal and gaaaawd daaaaaamn does it feel like a new game on PC at 60fps. Amazing game, can't believe it's 6 - 7 years old.

It's funny reading about the framerate damage bug as I didn't really realise until close to the end. I thought Normal felt a bit harder than usual but wasn't really too bad. Hopefully they patch it soon.

BPoole

I finished it earlier on Normal. I think KB/M makes the game too easy. Even with the damage bug (average 85-100fps), I can clean out a room with the Armor Piercing Pistol in a matter of seconds. And during the last boss fight, Sam says something about Bogey moving too fast and needed to put on the suit's overdrive, but I had no problem at all tracking and shooting him.

I just started Hard and I hope that provides more of a challenge.

Blizzard

Banned
I forgot to mention, I definitely wouldn't call Bayonetta broken. I had excellent performance on an old PC, and the only bugs I remember were AA not working properly and cutscenes having picture-in-picture.

Steez

I'm having this issue where cutscenes become extremely choppy, audio desyncs and then the cutscene just stops altogether, booting me back into the game.

Is this a known bug? Any fix?

I don't understand why people whine so much about the "bug".
Don't get me wrong, it's there, no one can deny that, but it's not THAT bad. In fact, for a skilled player it's hardly an issue.
And if that's an issue, you got plenty of solutions:
- Cap the game at 60
- Cap the game at 30
- Play on easy

I'm halfway in the game with "normal" difficulty and i'm having a blast. Good challenge but nothing impossible, never died and enemies go down fairly easy, even bosses.

Probably it's just me, but i can understand asking for a refound on some problematic games (such Forza Horizon 3 in the past) but this is far from being broken.
If anything the bug spices things a bit. Someone could call it a feature.

Also for ultra widescreen users, put this in launch options -unlockaspectratio -fov XXX to get both ultrawide support (minus the hud) and custom fov. I'm set at 120 on 3440*1440.

Jintor

yeah so i know we're all gameplay people here and god knows i skipped almost every cutscene, but i watched a few of the ending cinematics and i totally forgot that in vanquish
a hillary clinton analogue POTUS shoots herself in the head after being discovered colluding with the Russians

jesus christ

i wish the story had gone full bore into weird conspiro-action game or platinum's usual parody pastiche tho

Kent

I don't understand why people whine so much about the "bug".
Don't get me wrong, it's there, no one can deny that, but it's not THAT bad. In fact, for a skilled player it's hardly an issue.
And if that's an issue, you got plenty of solutions:
- Cap the game at 60
- Cap the game at 30
- Play on easy

I'm halfway in the game with "normal" difficulty and i'm having a blast. Good challenge but nothing impossible, never died and enemies go down fairly easy, even bosses.

Probably it's just me, but i can understand asking for a refound on some problematic games (such Forza Horizon 3 in the past) but this is far from being broken.
If anything the bug spices things a bit. Someone could call it a feature.

Also for ultra widescreen users, put this in launch options -unlockaspectratio -fov XXX to get both ultrawide support (minus the hud) and custom fov. I'm set at 120 on 3440*1440.

Doesn't matter if you can still play and enjoy the game with the bug present. Doesn't matter if you can compromise your system's performance to work around it. A bug is a bug is a bug, and the bottom line is, it's not working as intended, and it's interfering with the game functioning as advertised. Therefore, it's a legitimate complaint and it's completely fair for people to pursue refunds if they so choose.

Additionally, workarounds are by definition not solutions.

RaffAO

I've barely had 10 minutes to play the game so far but knowing about the frame rate bug is souring things even if it seems silly. I already own and have finished the game for 360 so I bought this to play at a ridiculous framerate at a higher difficulty.

I've just recently finished another Platinum pc port that required a fan patch to play and shows no sign of getting an official patch months after release. I don't blame Platinum or any porting houses that may be involved. I work in non-video game publishing and in our industry the publisher would be bending over backwards to save face if a problem like this came up. The publisher has to 100% stand by anything they put their name on.

Really considering getting a refund until they fix it (if they ever do).

Top Bottom