• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: First look as Durango XDK (always connected, kinect required, must install)

Reiko

Banned
I floated my theory, you must have missed it. The 7970 was the first commercial card with GCN, it came out in Jan 2012, the same time as the alpha kits were shipped. I'm guessing they justed wanted to get GCN in the the computer and could downclock and disable CUs with drivers.

Makes sense.

that was just bull imo, i think ea and ms have some sort of deal for durango

Has to be. I mean Sony posted PS4 specs online.

I don't think alpha kit spec does matter since MS will give developers their target performance(that's why i don't think it will big downgrade from E3 to release,especially when they should have playable at E3)

The 7970 has GDDR5 at like 260GB/s, the Durango leaked specs do not.

I don't get your point. They are aiming for 6-10x performance, 3x memory bandwidth is not a good thing. Also, Move engines don't help bandwidth, they max out at ~25GB/s.

well, the gpu is rumored at 5x the flops. so 3x bw is more close.

same with ps4, ps3 had about 50 gb. now ps4 has 176, about 3.5x.

mostly you could say bw is not keeping up with everything else in the tech world. not a problem unique to consoles.

Or they want precise clock speeds and bus figures

you can calculate precise clocks from the rumored flops and cu's. 800 mhz on the gpu.

sony confirmed the cu's, they didn't exactly confirm flops, but the rumor was 1.843 and at the event sony said "nearly 2 tf" so everybody took it too confirm 1.843.

edit: and i actually i believe sony confirmed 1.843, eg todays DF article.

i-Lo

well, the gpu is rumored at 5x the flops. so 3x bw is more close.

same with ps4, ps3 had about 50 gb. now ps4 has 176, about 3.5x.

mostly you could say bw is not keeping up with everything else in the tech world. not a problem unique to consoles.

I had to remove your from the IL just to reply to this.

I really don't know why you do this. Why do you keep arguing with the wrong facts? Why do you keep doing so when you've been corrected multiple times? Wow, it's like talking to a tape recorder on loop.

PS3 did NOT, I repeat DID NOT have 50GB/sec bandwidth. You just can't add 22.4 and 25.6 because not only is the math imprecise but it's wrong. It wasn't unified memory like 360 (efficient). It was the same story with RSX. Unified shaders of Xenos made the GPU much more efficient.

Fuck it. Back IL.

Reiko

Banned
Funny post by Brad Genz @ B3D on the state of PR BS.

The business deals that must be in place for people at DICE and Crytek to be pretending like PS4 don't exist are pretty crazy. Polygon did a video interview with a Crytek rep today and Gies couldn't even get the guy to say "PS4". Arthur also commented on Crytek's struggles getting CryEngine licensees outside of Europe, but the way they are treating PS4 and the way Epic have reacted paint a pretty good picture of what is behind their relative success. If you want customers to license your tech it may not be a good idea to let a business deal with one platform holder prevent you from even acknowledging a major system that's already announced. Rein is out there for every new platform proclaiming, "Fuck yeah, Unreal supports it!" while Crytek is at GDC pretending like they don't know what a PS4 is.

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1722984&postcount=2493

smh Crytek...

Klocker

instead of us being surprised we should see it as just how early we have had the PS4 revealed compared to past reveals and compared to how far off new machines are. I honestly didn't expect chit from either one of them until just prior to E3.

And they still have not shown a box etc and I think when MS reveals it will be for everything.

I really think Sony was concerned the 4GB issue was gonna bite them in the butt so they wanted to make it public ASAP

jaypah

Fuck it. Back IL.

Sorry to derail but I'm confused about how Ignore List works. How did you see the post in the first place? I thought you had to click on something on a posters profile then you couldn't see their posts anymore. If not then what's the point of it?

Funny post by Brad Genz @ B3D on the state of PR BS.

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1722984&postcount=2493

smh Crytek...

My last name has an R in it.

instead of us being surprised we should see it as just how early we have had the PS4 revealed compared to past reveals and compared to how far off new machines are. I honestly didn't expect chit from either one of them until just prior to E3.

And they still have not shown a box etc and I think when MS reveals it will be for everything.

I really think Sony was concerned the 4GB issue was gonna bite them in the butt so they wanted to make it public ASAP

The WiiU, PS3, Xbox and PS2 all announced well more than a year before launching.

i-Lo

Sorry to derail but I'm confused about how Ignore List works. How did you see the post in the first place? I thought you had to click on something on a posters profile then you couldn't see their posts anymore. If not then what's the point of it?

Sometimes I do check posts regardless to see if valid pieces of info is presented in context of OP. I do this to see if I can remove that user from the list.

I really don't know why you do this. Why do you keep arguing with the wrong facts? Why do you keep doing so when you've been corrected multiple times? Wow, it's like talking to a tape recorder on loop.

PS3 did NOT, I repeat DID NOT have 50GB/sec bandwidth. You just can't add 22.4 and 25.6 because not only is the math imprecise but it's wrong. It wasn't unified memory like 360 (efficient). It was the same story with RSX. Unified shaders of Xenos made the GPU much more efficient.

Fuck it. Back IL.

yes, magically 25gb/s disappears on ps3. poof, it never existed. back to your regular scheduled program.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
yes, magically 25gb/s disappears on ps3. poof, it never existed. back to your regular scheduled program.

What the heck. It doesn't work as you think it works. Since it's not unified.

Lets go crazy. Put a Titan in there and call it a day.

would not mind at all if the next box was on the size of mini itx case like the coolermaster elite 120 mini itx

this guy put a gtx 690 in his.

IMAG0141.jpg

DEADEVIL

For those that wanted a link to what Brad Grenz was referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncORtSTpEAI

The PS4 is right behind him lol

If he is complaining about that YouTube video then it's silly. That was strictly reluctance due to NDA and nothing else. They just didn't want to comment at the moment , but anyone can see that he what he was eluding to through his answers.

But my god. The graphics! Wow. The C3 engine is a beast. The footage was eye opening. Definately look fwd to seeing how Ryse turned out.

Reiko

Banned
If he is composing about that YouTube video then it's silly. That was strictly reluctance due to NDA and nothing else. They just didn't want to comment at the moment , but anyone can see that he what he was eluding to through his answers.
Yeah. Crytek does have a past history of jumping through NDA hoops.

Dude even teased another partnership.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Yes, but the bandwiths don't add up magically. That's why I said it doesn't work as you think it does.

I think he means that the memory is not shared and thus doesn't contend with the CPU. It still won't ever look like 50GB/s, but that 25GB/s is dedicated to the GPU. The 176GB/s in the PS4 will get eaten by IO and the CPU a bit. It should still have ~150GB/s for the GPU, which is still ~6x.

3dhd15.jpg

If that overview is correct, 25.6 goes to Cell but only 20 to the GPU? Odd.

So I guess it's 42.4 feeding RSX, to be pedantic.

Had the RSX not been able to texture from XDR, treat it like VRAM, PS3 woulda been in serious handicapped trouble.

The Move Engines most definitely help Durango with bandwidth, but they don't do so by giving Durango more bandwidth than what it already has. It helps Durango with bandwidth by using a max of up to 25GB/s of bandwidth from existing overall bandwidth to offload work from the rest of the GPU. That might not sound like a big enough number to some, but what's important about the Move Engines is that they can operate simultaneously with GPU computation, transferring data that would otherwise be transferred by using a shader, which will use notably more bandwidth speed than the Move Engines would need to. By having the move engines take care of some of this work, you remove the need for the GPU to do it on its own, which the GPU would utilize far more performance and speed doing, essentially giving the GPU more time to worry about other things than it would have without 4 Move Engines helping out.

During compute heavy situations, Move Engine operations are basically free because there is plenty enough bandwidth to spare to allow the Move Engines to do their job without taking away from bandwidth that is specifically needed elsewhere. During bandwidth heavy situations, move engine operations can still end up being effectively free if they use an alternate memory path than the one already being utilized at the moment by a shader. And even though while all 4 move engines are operating at the same time, they are sharing the same 25GB/s bandwidth speed between them all, this isn't necessarily a downside because you're able to transfer 4 separate streams of data in both directions at the same time at rather little bandwidth cost. The point of the Move Engines isn't to do things the fastest way possible, but to do very important things fast enough while using very little resources to do so, saving the GPU from having to do it itself, thus leaving it's available power and resources for other things.

So, if the purpose of the move engines is to get work out of the way so the GPU doesn't have to bother using even more bandwidth speed to get the job done, then they are indeed leading to more efficient use of memory bandwidth. That's the primary purpose of DMAs on GCN architecture and all 4 Move Engines have a DMA engine. Even the Radeon 7970 only has 2 DMA engines. And all 4 move engines can take care of another important task for the GPU, tiling and untiling, and it still goes on to have other important uses beyond that, but you get the point.

Klocker

So when MS unveils we will be hearing about utilization, sleek performance rather than brute force, move engines, tiling and esram all working together to make the whole greater than the sum of its parts? (like 360 was)

Epic is bed buddies with MS on the Gears franchise, but you don't see them kowtowing to MS like amateurs.

well, this type of thing is why i think ms can win with a less powerful next gen console, but i dont really think sony could. Sony needs better hardware to even have a chance imo.

market clout, product vision, everything outside the hardware, tends to favor ms imo.

it does seem a lot of developers are waiting on ms to really talk about next gen, and that just feeds a perception.

So when MS unveils we will be hearing about utilization, sleek performance rather than brute force, move engines, tiling and esram all working together to make the whole greater than the sum of its parts? (like 360 was)

I don't know if MS will even touch on much of anything technical, particularly the areas where they are somehow at an easy marketing disadvantage. They will likely just show the spoils of their labor in action, with the system OS, games, features, services etc. Actual impressive software will easily drown out any noise about the console somehow not being extremely capable in the power department.

What will make Durango an impressive system is how the entire system works with the various customizations that have been done. No single component of Durango in isolation can tell you what the system is all about. The ESRAM, the Move Engines, the Display Planes, the physical GPU itself and how its overall architectural makeup balances out with the rest of the system, particularly the memory system. It all matters. Raw power is fantastic, and there is no way Durango will be lacking in the power department, but Microsoft went for their performance targets using a very carefully orchestrated design with no single aspect that really jumps out at you due to its perceived power. Whether or not their bets paid off is something we won't know till we get a look at some of the software, but there's a lot of stuff about Durango that you read about and think about, and if it actually works as well as Microsoft thinks it will, and developers get it and see the same things that Microsoft clearly saw when they designed it, then I can't wait to see the end results.

Did you actually read the info in post one?

"Always connected" can be good or bad depending on what it actually means. Having a console that's always connected so that it can download updates, patches, demos etc. while it's off (in its low power state mode) is great for gamers. That's what the document in post one says, but that's also all it says: -

Nowhere does it say that the console MUST be connected to the Internet in order for it to function, or in order for you to launch a game. That's a rumour, but it could be true, it could be false, it could simply be a misunderstanding of what "always connected" means - we just don't know.
If you could have used the console offline that would ruin the "always online" as now you don't need to be always online. Guess shouldn't get my hopes too high up but do hope it's exactly what I thought it would be.

thuway

Durango, in my opinion, is the better designed machine in terms of performance to cost. It can hit plenty of high notes with a very cheap build of materials. The beautiful thing is, MS has found a way to avoid expensive GDDR5 with a more complex but elegant solution. MS was thinking about profitability from the get-go, and if things turn dire, they can out price Sony significantly.

I was talking about both machines to a friend who works at MS a few months back (they have signed NDA's recently, despite him not being in the Xbox division).

The PS4 is a muscle car in every single way, fast, powerful, and based around sheer oomph.

Durango is akin to a hybrid sport's car. It will get the job done, but in a way that is far more efficient and cost effective.

At the end of the day however, I am still a consumer, and I will choose the most powerful platform for me, which is PS4. This doesn't change the fact that MS has very strong ideas on marketing, power, and how to position their next machine.

Razgreez

The PS4 is a muscle car in every single way, fast, powerful, and based around sheer oomph.

Durango is akin to a hybrid sport's car. It will get the job done, but in a way that is far more efficient and cost effective.

Interesting analogy considering hybrid sportcars, while promising on paper, have turned out to be complex, expensive and have seriously underwhelming performance. Standard hybrid cars on the other hand have great efficiency at low speeds and ridiculously bad performance once you start stressing them even a little bit - and are quit a bit more complex and expensive than standard cars

Apologies for OT comments, the analogy just sparked the car enthusiast in me

That is true.

Remember though... Crytek is a EA partner.

Crytek does nothing for me personally. I'm more interested in what Bethesda has got planned for next gen. I was surprised to hear one of their execs say they had just received dev units recently for the PS4. I would have expected that they'd have had them for awhile now. I need some next gen Fallout.

El_Chino

Crytek does nothing for me personally. I'm more interested in what Bethesda has got planned for next gen. I was surprised to hear one of their execs say they had just received dev units recently for the PS4. I would have expected that they'd have had them for awhile now. I need some next gen Fallout.

Fall Out 4 *fingers crossed*

Durango, in my opinion, is the better designed machine in terms of performance to cost. It can hit plenty of high notes with a very cheap build of materials. The beautiful thing is, MS has found a way to avoid expensive GDDR5 with a more complex but elegant solution. MS was thinking about profitability from the get-go, and if things turn dire, they can out price Sony significantly.

I was talking about both machines to a friend who works at MS a few months back (they have signed NDA's recently, despite him not being in the Xbox division).

At the end of the day however, I am still a consumer, and I will choose the most powerful platform for me, which is PS4. This doesn't change the fact that MS has very strong ideas on marketing, power, and how to position their next machine.

I'm glad I don't need to make a choice between the two. Getting both, including Wii-U. There's just too many games that I need that will be exclusive.

Top Bottom