• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks Rumor: Final Fantasy XV (renamed FFVersus) PS4 Exclusive. Sony co-developing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effect

Co-developing a game or outright funding it is the only way true exclusives are going to happen going forward unless the game is small and being made on a small budget to begin with. That's what Nintendo is doing. Not at all surprised Sony would do it as well.

Spinluck

I posted so many references, yet everyone ignored them :(

You shoulda just did a straight up FFXV on PS4 version. Stating that they shot themselves in the foot by not going mulitplat.

Idk why, this is one of the few jokes on GAF that always get a laugh out of me.

Toth

Not surprised. Also, weren't sales of 13 and 13-2 rather mediocre on the 360? It just makes sense to remain a Sony product. Now if this could be a launch title for PS4....that would be MEGATON.

Mikey Jr.

Ughh, I hate "co-developing", because that means exclusive, and if SE is giving Sony an exclusive, they might allow MS the option of getting an exclusive as well.

Feck.

REAL TALK: Is Final Fantasy still a big name any more? Does it hold any attraction outside these kind of websites like it use to? I don't really find it to be an exciting
re
announcement like I would have 3 or 5 years ago.

Not liked it used to. Certainly when the 360 version of XIII was announced, it felt like a massive, massive gain for the 360. Square-Enix has struggled with HD development so much, that at some point, and as a former fan of the series, they have to come through the other side, and start putting out games worthy of their great legacy. I hope it starts with this, regardless of whether it's a Sony exclusive. I desperately want to play another great Final Fantasy game, I'm just not convinced they're quite there yet. It could be a name again, but the franchise needs a great game, not just a good one, for people to sit up and take notice again.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Oh wait, VGLeaks wouldnt have sourced either of those GameFAQs clowns would they :S

-.-'

And here I thought XIII wasn't appreciated for other reasons. Instead is the Xbox 360 version that condamned it!!!

Then: it's a masterpiece on the wrong console! (lol)

That's definitely not the reason why, but if Square thinks like a modern (stupid) major videogame publisher then they will see a correlation and that would drive them to make a decision like going exclusive again.

Maybe they feel they can make a bigger impact (and lessen the risk involved in case they have another bomba on their hands) by going to Sony with a co-development exclusivity deal. That's practically the only reason we'd see third party exclusives next-gen anyways.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't Kagari hint about a PS4 Versus XIII? She just never said in which circumstances!

How accurate have VGLeaks rumors been in the past?

They said that AC4 Black Flag was not being developed at the time for next-gen consoles, then two days later, Ubisoft announced the game for next-gen consoles with PS360.

Keyword: at the time. It is possible that their source was not in the dev team that was doing the next-gen versions, since Durango is in that team, and they were being extra careful not to leak. Or they could just be plain wrong I dunno.

Also, they're probably different sources, so there's that too.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I liked the animation in the 2010 or 2011 trailer of the game.

If this rumor is true, that would be cool to me because I'm going to buy a PS4 and it will be based around the rumored better spec of the PS4 and not the Durango as most multiplats will probably end up like.

Of course I'd trade this game for Agent. :p

Zephyrus

Banned
Seriously?

MEGATON if true.

Was thinking of buying a 200 euro trenchcoat tomorrow, but I'll save the money for ps4 instead.

Imagine if at E3, Sony and SE would announce the game to be a ps4 launch title?

jbug617

Banned
I know some game people like Patrick Klepek and Aegies said that there will be exclusive and timed exclusives from 3rd parties next gen. So it wouldn't shock me if it happens.

bill0527

Is this really a megaton? REALLY?

It feels like the Final Fantasy brand is so diminished in NA, that its really not that great of an exclusive.

Square-Enix has been the butt of message board jokes since last E3, and they got roasted on this board after last months showing at the PS4 reveal.

Stark

Banned
Sony has the best tech wizards in the industry and I feel like most of the best games I have played are exclusive(Uncharted, Zelda, Halo 4 ect.). PS4 is likely to be the most powerful console and with Sony's help FFXV could turn out amazing.

Was talking more about whats bolded in the article. :p

Is it really though? Outside of japan of course. Seems like SE ran the franchise into the ground everywhere else.

Only time will tell for sure. But I don't see how 13 completely ruined the series reputation, which is what some are suggesting. The thing with FF is that every new mainline game is completely different. A new cast, battle system, world etc. So you can despise one and then fall in love with the next one. FF8 was hated quite a bit coming off of FF7, but then FF9 came out and many loved it.

REAL TALK: Is Final Fantasy still a big name any more?

Don't underestimate the power of a long-time franchise name. Regardless of what happened this generation, FFXIII still sold well enough and the reviews weren't exactly a disaster either and quite a few installments are cherished by many. Highs and lows don't really matter -- the moment they show something that looks great, oh look people care about Final Fantasy again. We are fickle.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Square and Sony need to show the good because right now the final fantasy name is riding on shit

daveo42

Banned
Sony pulled the game away for the most part by making Square a very good offer I believe. Square didn't make the jump on their own.

I thought a large part of the decision was Nintendo going the cart route for the N64 and Square wanted to be able to pack more in than what was available on a standard cart.

I mean, FFVII was a huge game at 3 PSX disks.

It has been a long time since I last played (or even drew attention to) the Final Fantasy game.

But maybe this time I will be excited - come on, E3. Also, I'm planning to play previous games, probably it will warm me up for the next one.

rdrr gnr

Didn't member Shayan claim 'reverse betrayals' come E3? He was one of the only GAFfers to call the 8GB of RAM. Seems like a waste to me personally as FF blows. But it is a megaton and many will be pleased/salty as fuck.

IF this is true, it would help Sony establish a next gen foothold in Japan. A playable mainline Final Fantasy game at TGS 2013 would be great

Spinluck

Does this mean that they are bumping up the visuals and presentation overall? Character models, environments, effects, and cutscenes. Instead of just up resing PS3 assets? Would've liked a FFXV built from the ground up on PS4, but this is good enough (if true).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom