• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks Rumor: Final Fantasy XV (renamed FFVersus) PS4 Exclusive. Sony co-developing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visceir

Is it really though? Outside of japan of course. Seems like SE ran the franchise into the ground everywhere else.

Don't care about any of the FF XIII games or the upcoming Lighning game but I'm always curious to see what they do with the new mainline FF game. I think it really depends from what they are going to show us and what the game will be like.

I'm sure many will check out the trailer and if it looks promising people will get hyped and buy it.

Vire

Is this really a megaton? REALLY?

It feels like the Final Fantasy brand is so diminished in NA, that its really not that great of an exclusive.

Square-Enix has been the butt of message board jokes since last E3, and they got roasted on this board after last months showing at the PS4 reveal.

While the Final Fantasy brand name has been diminished by recent entries, it still has some clout. There's always some sort of renewed hope and optimism when a new numbered sequel comes out.

Not to mention if Sony's internal studios are helping, there's hope since Sony's first party is ace.

Rad-

Wow I got quite interested when I saw the topic title but then I enter the topic and... it's just Versus. Rofl.

Where the hell is that Ito FF?

acm2000

is FF brand worth anything outside of japan anymore?

all this is, is changing a ps3 exclusive into a ps4 exclusive, hardly "megaton"

Omega

Banned
we're supposed to care about a game announced before this gen to be a PS3 exclusive is now a pS4 exclusive?

Square isnt as big or talented as they used to be, why is Sony wasting time and resources on this?

Go_Ly_Dow

There's been a lot of really strange Internet Nostradamus's over the last few week,s posting some really strange and accurately detailed Versus related information.

If the game is being co-developed with Western studios then that would explain that phenomenon!

Actually Sony is co-developing the game with Square-Enix, therefore, this game will be exclusive on PS4. Square renamed Versus to FF15 in the middle of this process. Sony’s studios are helping SE with FF15 assets among other tasks.

Unless Sony is planning to buy Square Enix, this is actually horrible news. Let Square deal with FF problems their damn self. SCEE and SCEA studios have been pumping out great games and I would rather them continue that then help Wada and company dig themselves out of the hole they dug themselves in. SCEJ has enough on their plate to try to live up to its sister studios' qualities to try to help out.

FF name and brand has greatly diminished since 2006 so this makes even less sense, again, unless 6758 is planning to buy 9684.

Well part of me thinks this is a good idea. FF vs XIII looks dated by today's standards and it pains me to say that, because it looked phenomenal few years ago. Hopefully the new gen will give it proper justice. But in any case, Nomura got shafted from current gen.

Takuya

Banned

It feels like the Final Fantasy brand is so diminished in NA, that its really not that great of an exclusive.

Square-Enix has been the butt of message board jokes since last E3, and they got roasted on this board after last months showing at the PS4 reveal.

That much easier to make it exclusive to a Japanese platform right? :p

HELL FUCKING YES! Versus-co developed by sony exclusively on ps4!! Can you imagine the boost in graphics, omfg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eh, the brand is big and if the game is good of course it will sell... The FFXIII games were not the critical success previous games were and got a lot of flack by the fanbase, it is hardly surprising that the brand has been tarnished. Whether FF Versus does high numbers is fairly contingent on its quality, over and above just being associated with FF.

Anyway, FFXIII was originally a PS2 game, so this is....incredibly fitting hahaha.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Looks like this site just made up a news by reading GAF posts. Their last rumour about AC4 turned out to be inaccurate.

Ughh, I hate "co-developing", because that means exclusive, and if SE is giving Sony an exclusive, they might allow MS the option of getting an exclusive as well.

Feck.

Microsoft Game Studios co-developing Chrono Trigger. Remade for next gen in all new stunning HD graphics and perspective;
FPS ;)

Hmmm, interesting if true...

It does fit with some of my thoughts lately about the direction this game has been taking.

On other news, I might just have lost part of my functioning brain, a significant percentage of it.

This is great news. I really don't want to have to purchase another PS3 (sold it a year ago) and so far only Versus, TLoU, and TLG are reasons to do so.

If Versus and TLG move to PS4 alongside an HD remake of TLoU ... I'm golden!

Effect

I thought a large part of the decision was Nintendo going the cart route for the N64 and Square wanted to be able to pack more in than what was available on a standard cart.

I mean, FFVII was a huge game at 3 PSX disks.

I think that was apart of it but I do recall reading a large part of why they finally went with the PS1 in the end was because of Sony approaching them and doing so early I think. There might have been less FMVs or none if it had been on the N64. I could be wrong but I don't think FFVII is that huge of game when you cut them out.

Doesn't Sony still own part of SE? Itd make sense for the two to partner up, they both have a vested interest to see each other succeed.

Why would you say TGS instead of E3? Doesn't make sense unless you think Versus and XV are two separate entities.

SE said during PS4 presentation that they were working in two FF titles.

One will be presented in E3, the other during TGS. I think Versus is more TGS-likeable.

sangreal

I wouldn't call it a bombshell or anything, but it is certainly interesting. Versus was always exclusive and we all figured it moved to PS4 ages ago. I wonder if they significantly changed any of the ideas behind versus to turn it into a mainline title though

J-Rzez

Since they probably spent far less money on R&D on the PS4 than they did in consoles past like the PS3 perhaps a side benefit is that along with less overhead R&D costs to make up, they have some extra cash-money to throw around for exclusives. This is probably going to be the big thing for early in the console wars with MS. MS will probably once again throw money around like mad to get any shred of exclusivity they can, and it'll taper off mid/late gen like this past (current?) gen. So, Sony needs to compete, not just with their studios, but some big name 3rd party stuff to boot.

Wish they threw this "help" at Kingdom Hearts 3 instead of FF-versus.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Game probably started out on Crystal Tools/White, they started work on trying to jam it into Luminous, all fell apart, and if this is true, needed big Sony help to even salvage the project.

I mean, honestly, this just makes me all the more curious what Microsoft's counter-point is going to be to this sort of exclusive. I don't think I could handle a Metal Gear betraylton (exclusive, not multiplatform).

I will be quite disappointed if true. Not only will it be a far cry of what I want out of the mainline games, but will also mean Square has just been twiddling their thumbs for the entire generation working on this without any plans for XVI in the near future.

Will buy it regardless and likely love it though.

Concept17

Versus was the only game coming from SE I've had any interest in after so many years of shit. If this game is rebranded as 15 and being helped by Sony"s powerhouse devs and their tech then SE may have a chance at redemption.

The thought of a FF using Sonys first party tech would be absolutely awesome. Not to mention their devs actually finish their projects.

Caelestis

If Versus is 15, SE better announce FF16 as well. I am all for getting this game out with the help of Sony and getting to finally play it, but that excitement for it that once was there is gone. I want something new to be excited for.

Stark

Banned
If Versus is 15, SE better announce FF16 as well. I am all for getting this game out with the help of Sony and getting to finally play it, but that excitement for it that once was there is gone. I want something new to be excited for.

Yep.

Seems like the last chance to see this freaking game actually come out, but still...

If S-E will have bring such a title exclusive for Sony, it will have the chance to offer 3 likewise to the 720.

Toth

Only time will tell for sure. But I don't see how 13 completely ruined the series reputation, which is what some are suggesting. The thing with FF is that every new mainline game is completely different. A new cast, battle system, world etc. So you can despise one and then fall in love with the next one. FF8 was hated quite a bit coming off of FF7, but then FF9 came out and many loved it.

SE has been struggling to release games this generation The absolute disaster of 14, the long development hell of Versus, and the general collapse of the Japanese market in terms of games being million sellers with higher frequency . That is one of the man reasons people harp so much on 13. PS2 and PS had a far wider range of games released by SE that people could focus on instead of voicing their opinions on the mainline FF released during those times. With all their resources tied up on Versus and 14's revival, they have barely released anything since the early 360 outputs....and people are just tired of waiting. I can definitely emphasize with that frustration.

Vire

Just for fun here was the estimated sales numbers for FFXIII on 360 vs PS3:

FFXIII PS3: 4.93 Million Units

FFXIII 360: 1.94 Million Units

So yeah the PS3 version clearly outsold the 360, but is Square willing to leave 2 million units on the table?

What the point of the Luminous Engine then? Didn't Square said several times that the engine was built to work better with multiplatform development? Here is even a quote about this from Hashimoto himself:

“Luminous Studio itself will not only be used to power PC and console games, but also used for smartphone, tablet, and looking even further ahead, cloud-based platforms. The aim is to broaden the vision of the company, and establish a better integrated game development environment.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom