• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Game Artist gets threatened to be blacklisted from the industry for criticizing TLOU2 Abby's design

niilokin

I can't fathom why everyone seems to think it's some sort of male muscle shaming fetish going on in TLOU 2. That the model for Abby juices doesn't mean Abby does, they clearly removed some definition and added some fat percentage, which is more realistic.

Saying it's not possible to look like Abby without steroids is completely false. This is examples of kids who started training when they were 13-14, they are 15-16 in the pictures. How can anyone possibly say they couldn't look like Abby in 8 years, EASILY. Hell, they could be bigger than Abby when they are 18. There are many completely natural strong-looking girls out there and it's not too hard to find them.

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

So you just looked up pictures of buff girls you don't know and can claim they are natural... You stated yourself that Abby's body is based on a juicer, yet you think people can achieve a juicer body naturally?

Bragr

Banned
So you just looked up pictures of buff girls you don't know and can claim they are natural... You stated yourself that Abby's body is based on a juicer, yet you think people can achieve a juicer body naturally?
Are you saying Helen and everyone I posted are roided? Abby is based on a juicer but they have clearly changed the look, it's not 1 to 1. The reason why the juicer roids is so she can become ripped to shreds at competitions, Abby does not do that, she's no shredded like that. The size of Abby is obtainable by many girls.

Saruhashi

Banned
Give me a break with the rubbish, when people say Abby looks like 300 pound WWE wrestler it's just trolling.

No. It's just people having a conversation on a videogame forum.

She ain't a real person.

The character design, to me, is unintentionally funny.
So I am going to have a laugh at it.

She looks like a dude or a roided up woman. Pick one. Both are hilarious.

Not as hilarious as some guy constantly spamming photos of female wrestlers and bodybuilders like it's going to make a difference.

Soodanim

Honestly, had they shown her juicing—paranoid and Gollumish about her slowly depleting “stash”, which she needs to finish her revenge—it would’ve added more credibility and perhaps empathy to the character as a whole. Would’ve explained her insane temperament and rage too.
That sounds like an interesting idea, and I agree that it would have added to the themes they were going for. Abby went down a dark path for revenge.

Bragr

Banned
No. It's just people having a conversation on a videogame forum.

She ain't a real person.

The character design, to me, is unintentionally funny.
So I am going to have a laugh at it.

She looks like a dude or a roided up woman. Pick one. Both are hilarious.

Not as hilarious as some guy constantly spamming photos of female wrestlers and bodybuilders like it's going to make a difference.
Alrighty then. Maybe it's time to log off the internet for today fella, you been stalking and crying up my leg for too long now. Getting a bit silly.

Saruhashi

Banned
Are you saying Helen and everyone I posted are roided? Abby is based on a juicer but they have clearly changed the look, it's not 1 to 1. The reason why the juicer roids is so she can become ripped to shreds at competitions, Abby does not do that, she's no shredded like that. The size of Abby is obtainable by many girls.

"The size of Abby is obtainable by many girls."

Sure, but only if those girls are entering a Scott Steiner lookalike competition.

I wonder how they deal with horrendous back acne in the apocalypse...
Naughty Dog should have incorporated that into game. Like a zit popping mini-game or something.
Maybe they could also have had some kind of "roid rage" mechanic in the game.

niilokin

Very likely. There are wide variety of drugs and testosterone derivatives for different purposes and results. Juicing is very common. And Abby having a bulky pro-wrestling athlete body is not natty at all. And a crossfitter doesn't juice just to look ripped, she juices for performance.

Last edited:

llien

According to this tweet, this is the person Abby was based on.

Good for that CD Projekt Red guy calling out the professional intimidation based on an understandable observation (havent seen the accompanying text for the upload though).

I'd challenge the claim that NG character is based on this lady:

13zEkhv.jpg

LKYfqsB.jpg

Last edited:
Why is the discussion about whether the design is grounded in reality, and not about the fact this guy is getting ridiculed and threatened for indicating he can't tell if it's a male or female?

Deflection and distraction from an inconvenient fact, event or idea that goes against the narrative (in the case of the woke zombies) and in the case of the Sony faithful it is the same tactic but in defence of their plastic box.

Tactics as old as time but we still see them on the regular, notice that this is an intentional move by the bothered parties to prevent discussion on the actual topic and instead discuss a new talking point on their terms.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Very likely. There are wide variety of drugs and testosterone derivatives for different purposes and results. Juicing is very common. And Abby having a bulky pro-wrestling athlete body is not natty at all.
Dude, how much experience do you have with training? I have seen girls like Abby myself, I just can't understand why it's so hard to think it's possible. She's not that big to where it goes beyond any reason.

This chick is a skier of all things. A skier who's been tested her entire life. If she put on the same fat as Abby she would be like twice as big. Abby is not a mythical creature.

images

MiguelItUp

It's pretty absurd that another artist can't ask a genuine question about another's creation. I mean, feedback is feedback, why not just respond and move on? It's not like it's malicious in any way, shape, or form.

I think a lot of people have issue with the fact that Abby was SO large and maintained that physique in TLOU's apocalyptic universe. A world where survival is key, and every day items just aren't that easy to come by.

Can a women get that size? Of course she can with a SHIT ton of work and responsibility. Also to even keep up with it. But, how is it possible to have and maintain that physique in an apocalyptic universe? I mean, a person can still be pretty buff and large. But THAT much is.... A bit much, lmao.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Where else would they have their conversation? It’s hard to find a good conversation offline about this subject. What I mean by that, is that you would more than likely get a quick blurb of “oh she’s jacked” or some other misinterpretation about her from observers.

Imagine a female playing this game, who just buys the game from the store, and their first comment is one about her appearance. While I understand artists and game designers create this conception of such works of art, the real world is full of the knee jerk reactions.

While I have nothing negative to say about Abby, my own interpretation is a bit tainted with uncertainty about such topics. I’ve been in multiple positions where I’ve had to hear some opposing opinion about a video game and I have zero leg room to say anything more about the subject. It’s not that I am not well informed, but the opinion I receive doesn’t want any feedback.

Before they start trying to get people fired, there’s a much harsher reality to all of this. Imagine their spouse saying something negative. Imagine someone they enjoy hanging out with having this same opinion. They can’t see beyond the muscles or they can’t reason with Abby’s character. They’re just observing a person like they do with real life people. I’ve met plenty of women who had far harsher responses to how someone looks.

Last edited:

niilokin

Dude, how much experience do you have with training? I have seen girls like Abby myself, I just can't understand why it's so hard to think it's possible. She's not that big to where it goes beyond any reason.

This chick is a skier of all things. A skier who's been tested her entire life. If she put on the same fat as Abby she would be like twice as big. Abby is not a mythical creature.

images

I did weight-training intensely for 12 years when I was younger and I met alot of people with bodybuilding, fitness and powerlifting competition background as well as just casual juicers.

I'm not arguing against it not being possible at all. I'm arguing it not being possible naturally. Testing doesn't mean anything, it's a wide known fact among sports, most often testing is just a formality. Therese Johaug got caught using anabolic steroids and she's not buff at all, just one of the best performing Norwegian female skiers like Marit Björgen. Good luck thinking Marit Björgen doesn't juice.

Good for that CD Projekt Red guy calling out the professional intimidation based on an understandable observation (havent seen the accompanying text for the upload though).

All women and most men don't achieve this body type without steroids. I don't care at all about this game or the controversies surrounding it, but it's important for most people to realize the prevalence of hormonal enhancements in sports.

Bragr

Banned
I did weight-training intensely for 12 years when I was younger and I met alot of people with bodybuilding, fitness and powerlifting competition background as well as just casual juicers.

I'm not arguing against it not being possible at all. I'm arguing it not being possible naturally. Testing doesn't mean anything, it's a wide known fact among sports, most often testing is just a formality. Therese Johaug got caught using anabolic steroids and she's not buff at all, just one of the best performing Norwegian female skiers like Marit Björgen. Good luck thinking Marit Björgen doesn't juice.
Marit Bjørgen doesn't juice. Please, if you have any evidence on the contrary other than "everyone in sports juice because I say so", submit them. There is widespread juicing in sports when money is involved, and there always will be, but these conspiracy theories that say everyone juice in sports has no basis. Johaug got caught putting on the wrong cream. In sking, being big is a disadvantage, yet you still can see some of them build muscle based on their athleticism. That's the point here.

Do you think I can't find any people who can't get to Abby's size without steroids because it's impossible? is that your point? do you wanna bet? most of the time people who can't gain muscle think people need steroids to do so, but it's more that they can't get over the fact that they aren't built for it. I was always judged as a steroid abuser before, I didn't even take protein. I got friends, female and male, who never gain any muscle after years of training, and some who gain muscle just by looking at the damn bar.

Jon Neu

Banned
That one chick I posted would literally look like that if she had the same fat percentage, and how can you possibly know their natural barrier? Abby is actually not structured like a bodybuilder, she is not some 3% percentage ripped greek god. If she was she would actually look smaller. To say it's completely impossible to look like Abby is simply wrong. If someone athletically gifted like Helen Maroulis stropped wrestling and focused on weighs and stopped trying to maintain a certain weight she would look like Abby in 6 months. There are many girls like that out there.

53-Maroulis_Conder-0651--e1471569030212.jpg

Abby has much more wider torso and is bigger and more muscular.

What? if you are a man and can't reach that, you are doing something really really wrong.

As a man you can reach that without roids, maybe.

As a woman, you absolutely need roids.

hyperbertha

Not been an plastic surgery looking girl with twigs for legs?

/runs
So which is it? You want them to be thicc and sexualized, or reflect the average teen girl you see on the street with thin non voluptous legs? Tifa is meant to have a girl next door impression and look teenage even though shes 21, and the remake has by far the least good looking version of her character. Though her original design is significantly more feminine:

u2g3OZU.jpg

Not going to address the silly plastic surgery comment.

Bragr

Banned
Abby has much more wider torso and is bigger and more muscular.

As a man you can reach that without roids, maybe.

As a woman, you absolutely need roids.
But I covered that, if Helen went only for weights like Abby, it wouldn't be hard for her to reach that with her genetic gifts. It's just one example to show how it's possible for a women to get as big as Abby if they got the foundations for it.

It's not a problem for a mediocre athletic male to reach Abby's size. There are tons of 16-year-old natural guys who make Abby look like a chump.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I see people telling other's to be smarter about their behavior on a professional platform.. not "threatening" anyone.

Jon Neu

Banned
But I covered that, if Helen went only for weights like Abby, it wouldn't be hard for her to reach that with her genetic gifts

So again, you made up something in your mind and believe it as truth.

There are tons of 16-year-old natural guys who make Abby look like a chump.

Yeah, everybody is natty.

images

You keep posting women that are nowhere near as big as Abby as some kind of proof of something.

Abby’s torso alone is twice the size of that girl.

Bragr

Banned
So again, you made up something in your mind and believe it as truth.

Yeah, everybody is natty.

You keep posting women that are nowhere near as big as Abby as some kind of proof of something.

Abby’s torso alone is twice the size of that girl.
Ok. I'm not sure if you are trolling or what you are doing, but Helen is pretty close to her size. The girl I posted in the picture you quoted, is just as big as Abby. Is just that her body fat is very low because she needs to be in her sport. She probably has the body fat that Abby has at the end when she's on the pole.

Abby walking around normally in normal poses is just not as big as you pretend. If you think a man would struggle to get to Abby's size, you must never have worked out.

last-us-part-2-ending-abby.jpg

The-Last-of-Us-Part-II-Ending-Explained-Lev-and-Abby.jpg

It seems like a lot of people never seen a female body builder before. I’ve seen girls as big as Abby and even considerably bigger. In an age where we usually see 80lbs girls easily beat up 300 lbs men, I thought having a body builder-ish female or an entirely different physique was an interesting change. I’m probably in the vast minority though lol. People complained about Nina in TTT2 being way too buff and muscular, so the reaction to Abby was kind of expected I suppose.

Aggelos

One thing is sure, TLOU2 is a game that will cause a lot of stir, fuss, commotion and controversy about/around various issues.
It's a game that makes waves.

Eb7A4BGWAAAZUn_

Last edited:

niilokin

Nothing better than bro science gamers who never worked out bashing anyone who trains as steroid abusers. Do you think the moon landing was a hoax? how do you feel about 5G networks?

You are a very naive person, and I hope you don't lose your sleep over this thread.

Bragr

Banned
You are a very naive person, and I hope you don't lose your sleep over this thread.
Don't worry, there are so many people out there who don't understand the science of muscle building, you get used to them. Sometimes it just takes a few moments to see how clueless they are. I'll sleep tight.

Ivory Blood

Why is the discussion about whether the design is grounded in reality, and not about the fact this guy is getting ridiculed and threatened for indicating he can't tell if it's a male or female?
Yeah, this is the important part of all this. They threaten to blacklist a guy just because his opinion doesn't align with their own - 1984 in the flesh.

niilokin

Don't worry, there are so many people out there who don't understand the science of muscle building, you get used to them. Sometimes it just takes a few moments to see how clueless they are. I'll sleep tight.

You aren't exactly a scientist on the matter yourself, chief :messenger_tears_of_joy: .

niilokin

Says the guy who worked out for 12 years and gained 0.4 pounds of muscle and thinks Abby is unrealistic lol.

Shows how much you assume things while lacking common sense. I don't feel the need to get egoistic about it, you just asked if I have any experience and I answered. Your "I look like a steroid abuser even though I don't take protein" on the other hand made you sound like an insecure kid.

DryvBy

Honestly, the first time I saw Abby j thought my graphics glitched. She had more muscles than the guy by a long shot and a smaller chest. Not all women are blessed (yes, blessed) with a bust but Abby was curse with looked like triangles for boobs.

Bragr

Banned
Shows how much you assume things while lacking common sense. I don't feel the need to get egoistic about it, you just asked if I have any experience and I answered. Your "I look like a steroid abuser even though I don't take protein" on the other hand made you sound like an insecure kid.
Yeah, I'm the insecure kid here lol. When you put on size, people who struggle to build muscles will go after you as if you were a juicer all the time. I never said I look like a steroid abuser, but I have had people who are unathletic accusing me of it when I was younger when I put on some muscle, even though it wasn't that much at all. People accuse others of steroid use with even slight muscle development all the time, like you do. They just can't seem to fathom that some people add muscle easier than others. The only reason why some would think Abby is unrealistic is either, they can't for the life of them put on muscle themselves, or, they are too used fitness models and think that is what muscle on girls is supposed to look like. Anyone with experience in the wrestling room or a powerlifting gym won't see anything abnormal with her.

niilokin

Yeah, I'm the insecure kid here lol. When you put on size, people who struggle to build muscles will go after you as if you were a juicer all the time. I never said I look like a steroid abuser, but I have had people who are unathletic accusing me of it when I was younger when I put on some muscle, even though it wasn't that much at all. People accuse others of steroid use with even slight muscle development all the time, like you do. They just can't seem to fathom that some people add muscle easier than others. The only reason why some would think Abby is unrealistic is either, they can't for the life of them put on muscle themselves, or, they are too used fitness models and think that is what muscle on girls is supposed to look like. Anyone with experience in the wrestling room or a powerlifting gym won't see anything abnormal with her.

Yeah I apologize was over the line. I see what you mean there. On Abby, one of the main reasons she looks unnatural is the apocalyptic environment and how she sticks out as a well fed and as if she's hitting the gym everyday with godly recovery. But I still believe her body is not attainable naturally, especially how the fat in her body is stored, huge arms and no breasts at all. Coupled with the fact that she is in fact modeled after a very muscular crossfitter.

There is a reason why there are men sports and women sports. To try and imply women can be men if they want to be is scientifically impossible. People can claim what ever in their own minds and even convince themselves. But facts are facts. Men and women have different anatomies and sexual organs. Men have the dominant hormone called testosteone

Last edited:

I love it when the left talks about how super models promote unattainable body image while simultaneously cheering on this shit. What’s sad is they don’t see the irony.

Umbral

That’ll teach me to share a tweet I saw earlier in the day and didn’t think was common knowledge then write something unrelated to the tweet that is my reaction to the OP below it, and because I’m too tired to care not explicitlt state the separation between the two.

Interesting how not doing that got me an Era-style reaction of “You aren’t explicitly with us, therefore you’re against us” response that reminds me of their ban reasons. Painted as an enemy. But if you re-read what I said, there was nothing that suggested I agreed with what was said. “According to” were the words I used, which are words that describe a mere passing on of information and not an expression of belief or agreement. I said nothing of the words in the tweet and only referred to the images attached to it.

But you got your likes, digital high fives, and back pats for so expertly tearing down an argument I didn’t make, so well done for that. You win against your imaginary opponent.
I wasn’t referring to you.

Umbral

Yes, they are pretty in your face with it as well without outright putting you into FF7 gym mini games. She lives in a football stadium and in the room right next to the gym, her name is up on the board for best female bench press. Its also shown she had access to significant protein with a functioning butcher down the hall. Through flashbacks she is shown pushing away any emotional attachments in order to go train, her love interest Owen gets rejected so she can go train. Its a big theme, obsession caused by the desire for revenge and Abby hits the gym like she'd taken to heart every recommendation in a GAF break up thread

Im betting if they showed her injecting steroids you'd all just be using that as proof of "the agenda". But not doing that, its somehow impossible and Naughty Dog did wrong for not testing their body model for enhanced HRT levels :goog_unsure:
No. I literally told you that I’d be ok with. You don’t get to be a mind reader.

Bragr

Banned
Yeah I apologize was over the line. I see what you mean there. On Abby, one of the main reasons she looks unnatural is the apocalyptic environment and how she sticks out as a well fed and as if she's hitting the gym everyday with godly recovery. But I still believe her body is not attainable naturally, especially how the fat in her body is stored, huge arms and no breasts at all. Coupled with the fact that she is in fact modeled after a very muscular crossfitter.
Well, it's just weird for someone who did wrestle and hang around gyms who did come across girls like her to see people get so puzzled because she got some muscles. Either way, it's not worth it going through it over and over.

As far as the circumstances, I find it a bit too much to go after how well shes fed or her recovery. When something in a game frustrates or seems off, it's easy to go too in-depth for the reasons and take it a bit too far. For example, Tommy was shot in the side of the head in the middle of some nowhere theatre but managed to survive, it probably doesn't make sense if you go into the details of such wounds. But I have to assume they had some medkits there and got him back to Jackson, in the case of Abby, you just have to assume that they did find a stack of steroids or something like that. You can find plausible reasons relatively easily.

I think it's more problematic with stuff like the Scars only using bow and arrows against the Wolf's and their armed militia. They would get wiped in 2 seconds.

Top Bottom