• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita "hacked," (PSP) homebrew on the way (not piracy)

Such a kickass week for homebrew. Firstly the insane progress of retroarch on the New 3DS over the past few days, the WUP downloader and GameCube pad as the pro controller hack for the Wii U and now this!

I can play full speed SNES on my 3DS and use a GameCube controller to play Mario 3D world and Wind Waker HD. Two weeks ago neither were possible.

Wait, what, how?!

Bittercup

If this means I can use multiple accounts on one Vita without the need for factory reset I'm happy.
That's the biggest flaw for me. I want to play so many PS1 classics that are either not available or only as bad PAL ports.
I'm so excited!

Rich!

Right so, anyone who is below 3.52, stay tuned and keep an eye on the scene news. If you need to update for this hack (signs are you need 3.30 to 3.52), it may be your only chance before Sony block it.

Well, they'll need to supply some sort of unoficcial sdk, right?

Nope.

In fact, doom is already ported iirc.

inner-G

Banned
I had an oled, then swapped for a Slim.

Slim is amazing. Significantly better ergonomics, better battery life, 1GB internal memory, start and select buttons are better, it has a standard micro USB port for charging and linking and the screen is the best LCD I've seen on a handheld console.

Will never go back. The only benefit the original has is maybe the OLED, and even then that's down to personal preference.
I did the same, the slim is worth it

c0de

People need to remember that all these emulators and homebrew need to be coded.
A hack doesn't make them pop into existence, who knows how long it'll be without dev kits to compile native code or libraries.

The code is already to a large degree. Vita has an arm processor which means retroarch will happen as it already has emulators written for arm. A lot, actually.
Yes, it might take a while to build binaries which can be executed in the environment but seriously, I don't think it will be long. Vita can't be much different than other systems.

So, you won't simply be able to dump your games when this comes out tomorrow and then run them, right? Somebody will have to program that functionality?

I ask because, I know everyone is saying the system is already dead, but Digimon: Cyber Sleuth isn't coming out until 2016. While I'm happy this is happening, because of the whitelist functionality for the TV, I'm going to be super sad if the localization ends up getting canceled because of this.

Rich!

The code is already to a large degree. Vita has an arm processor which means retroarch will happen as it already has emulators written for arm. A lot, actually.
Yes, it might take a while to build binaries which can be executed in the environment but seriously, I don't think it will be long. Vita can't be much different than other systems.

Retroarch is already available as a native Vita port.

See my link above.

sensui-tomo

So, you won't simply be able to dump your games when this comes out tomorrow and then run them, right? Somebody will have to program that functionality?

I ask because, I know everyone is saying the system is already dead, but Digimon: Cyber Sleuth isn't coming out until 2016. While I'm happy this is happening, because of the whitelist functionality for the TV, I'm going to be super sad if the localization ends up getting canceled because of this.

you do know that the game is coming out on the ps4 right? It'll come out. Also didnt stop danganronpa from comingo over here in the usa (although we got psv ports over the psp games)

you do know that the game is coming out on the ps4 right? It'll come out. Also didnt stop danganronpa from comingo over here in the usa (although we got psv ports over the psp games)

I....had actually forgotten about that. Still, it would be nice to have on the go.

Again though, I'm not trying to be a debbie downer. It was just the first thing that popped into my head.

sensui-tomo

I....had actually forgotten about that. Still, it would be nice to have on the go.

Again though, I'm not trying to be a debbie downer. It was just the first thing that popped into my head.

I do however hope it doesnt stop the next digimon vita game from coming over... otherwise we gotta have someone do translation fixes... and not announce them until they are done because i've seen enough games get C&Ded for translation fixes.

Vuze

So sounds like a Vita mode hack is around the corner? That's pretty cool. I might search for my charger and dust off the vita tomorrow, maybe some cool stuff will come out of this.

Roldan

I love how having your Vita on FW 3.52 went from "yeah, there's nothing you can do now" to "oemgee it's the future of homebrews on vita".

Rich!

So does this mean that we could see emulators on the Vita? I'd love to run GBA on it.

heh

youre living in the past, marge. quit living in the past

http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/playstation/vita/

currently natively supported on the Vita:

2048_libretro_vita.velf
catsfc_libretro_vita.velf (SNES)
dosbox_libretro_vita.velf (DOSBOX)
fb_alpha_cps1_libretro_vita.velf (CPS1 ARCADE)
fb_alpha_cps2_libretro_vita.velf (CPS2 ARCADE)
fb_alpha_neo_libretro_vita.velf (NEO GEO)
fceumm_libretro_vita.velf (NES/FAMICOM/FDS)
gambatte_libretro_vita.velf (GAME BOY / COLOR)
genesis_plus_gx_libretro_vita.velf (MEGA DRIVE/MASTER SYSTEM/SEGA CD)
handy_libretro_vita.velf (LYNX)
mednafen_ngp_libretro_vita.velf (NEOGEO POCKET)
mednafen_vb_libretro_vita.velf (VIRTUAL BOY)
mednafen_wswan_libretro_vita.velf (WONDERSWAN)
nxengine_libretro_vita.velf (CAVE STORY)
quicknes_libretro_vita.velf (NES)
snes9x_next_libretro_vita.velf (SNES)

no gba core yet though, oddly - but I presume we will have one available within the next few days.

Roldan

So I have a vita with firmware 2.00 should I update and then get ape escape correct?

Apparently, all you need to do is update to 3.52. The exploit was found on the e-mail app, which comes preinstalled on every Vita.

Just set up an email account on the app and, well, wait for tomorrow.

edit:

2048_libretro_vita.velf

I said goddamn.

flux1

The next thing I hope comes out is a way to enable Unity to work without having to screw around with a license key every day or pushing apps from PC. I haven't bothered setting it up before now because of all that. Guess I finally will on my 3.51 system tomorrow.

The only other problem keeping the PSTV from being one of the best emu solutions is the damn prices on the memory cards. Guess I'll break down and get a 16gb now.

Flandy

heh

youre living in the past, marge. quit living in the past

http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/playstation/vita/

2048_libretro_vita.velf

no gba core yet though, oddly - but I presume we will have one available within the next few days.
Wait, what?
We already have emulators for Vita. No PSP or PSM limits?

Darknight

Wait so this "hack" beats out the PSM hacks from recent? I thought that having PSN/Unity app made sure you could use Native Vita homebrews?

How the heck did they do this on 3.52 without those apps? Im on 3.18....will this hack top that old one? Only reason Im still on it is full sound PSX games with TN-X.

I have a Japanese VitaTV. Still on FW 3.20. I think I may have to update both soon.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Wait so this "hack" beats out the PSM hacks from recent? I thought that having PSN/Unity app made sure you could use Native Vita homebrews?

How the heck did they do this on 3.52 without those apps? Im on 3.18....will this hack top that old one? Only reason Im still on it is full sound PSX games with TN-X.

I have a Japanese VitaTV. Still on FW 3.20. I think I may have to update both soon.

Email app exploits.

Mirk

Apparently, all you need to do is update to 3.52. The exploit was found on the e-mail app, which comes preinstalled on every Vita.

Just set up an email account on the app and, well, wait for tomorrow.

edit:

I said goddamn.

:O sweet then I can use both of my vitas I bought 2 way back when waiting with one for this day to come. I can now play super metroid on my vita and 3ds now HAPPY DAYS!!

So is there like ANYTHING I need to do to prepare for this? Anyway to block updates? Any games need to be downloaded or do I need any carts?

Or just the default ass friggin email app.

MrHoot

Playing SNES games on that glorious OLED will be godly, along with the new releases will be coming.

Vita means life, even if it's a marginal one ´_>`

Rich!

hooly shit, these guys arent kidding. the email app is totally open. typical sony. how on earth did no one notice this before?

You can email yourself a simple link (email:send?attach=ur0:shell/db/app.db. for example) and then your vita attaches that specified file from your Vita to a new email. I've just copied a whole load of shit off my console's NAND using this method.

hooly shit, these guys arent kidding. the email app is totally open. typical sony. how on earth did no one notice this before?

You can email yourself a simple link (email:send?attach=ur0:shell/db/app.db. for example) and then your vita attaches that specified file from your Vita to a new email. I've just copied a whole load of shit off my console's NAND using this method.

Do I need the thunderbird program on my PC or just my normal email website?

Rich!

behold, the contents of my Vita's database files:

untitledirp41.png

Do I need the thunderbird program on my PC or just my normal email website?

anything that can send a hyperlink.

THE-JUV

can someone give me a quick rundown on what's this recent buzz is about? Like I will be able to run emulators on my Vita without having to mod it?

Also, will this also work with the vitatv/pstv? or just the vita?

Thanks!

Top Bottom