• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita "hacked," (PSP) homebrew on the way (not piracy)

Nyoro SF

Crap, I need to go home and do this to my Vita TV so I can whitelist everything. Finally, all you Japanese companies that refused to offer PSTV support... your day has come!

c0de

Sorry but could someone explain what is going on? Are we going to get homebrew on vita in vita mode or just psp mode next/soon? Because if then I would consider buying one.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Crap, I need to go home and do this to my Vita TV so I can whitelist everything. Finally, all you Japanese companies that refused to offer PSTV support... your day has come!

I want to get Wipeout 2048 working on the TV. No idea how the menu will work, but playing it on the big screen with a proper controller will be so good.

Soulflarz

Banned
Sorry but could someone explain what is going on? Are we going to get homebrew on vita in vita mode or just psp mode next/soon? Because if then I would consider buying one.

All the homebrew

is this normal vita or just vita TV?

Thought it was just TV but people keep talking about their normal vitas x.x

flux1

I want to get Wipeout 2048 working on the TV. No idea how the menu will work, but playing it on the big screen with a proper controller will be so good.

If you hold the home button on the main menu, an options screen pops up which has a check box to enable touch controls in games. Its mapped to L3 for the front and R3 for the back.

Rich!

All the homebrew

is this normal vita or just vita TV?

Thought it was just TV but people keep talking about their normal vitas x.x

giphy.gif

MrHoot

I just wish I could have a gameboy, snes and megadrive emulator again on a portable ;_; hoping to figure this out one day

spons

Gold Member
It was mentioned on twitter that this is all done through bugs in the e-mail app. Every firmware it is on from 3.52 down has these holes in it.

https://twitter.com/frtomtomdu80/status/646748111633780736

So you don't need to worry about buying anything, and won't have to worry about updating to 3.52 if you are on some other 3.XX version.

There's a tutorial on using the email app for dumping any file < 2 MB.

480x272xvita-email-dump.png.pagespeed.ic.aqht_i0BWG.png

No idea if the rest of the batch of tricks/hacks use the email app too though.

Looks like it's a plain sqlite database too, so anyone can read it.

Joqu

Exciting stuff for sure, can't wait to bring some life back into my Vita. What do you guys think is the most powerful device it could potentially emulate properly? N64? Would the Dreamcast have any chance? Now that'd be something.

I really feel like buying a Playstation TV now too. Prices aren't half bad either.

MUnited83

For you.
Err, this is entirely different in every way.
It is, and it isn't. Game dumping and the system being open in a lot of ways will without a doubt help on the development of a emulator.

Of course, that is still several years away.
Yeah I figured as much. Was wondering if it would allow people to see how the Vita works and possibly help them out with trying to emulate it
That is correct.

Delt31

just getting into this thread. Is the exploit allowing users to play vita games b/c if so, that thing is officially dead......

or is this just a we can play emus, ps1, etc? And is it limited to the vita tv or can the vita itself be exploited too?

flux1

any email will work ?
i am trying to use my hotmail email on vita , but its not loading any message
gmail just block it

You have to enable access to less secure apps in gmail for the vita to be able to access the account.

You will also probably need Thunderbird installed as it was required to get Unity installed on 3.51 for the e-mail you forward to yourself.

Cleve

Oh man, all I really care about is being able to play all my psone, psp, and vita games on vita tv, and I'm excited. I got the metal gear titles on during "the incident" but there's so much more stuff I want to play.

So any chance this leads to people actually emulating the Vita?

When a system is reverse engineered and busted wide open, it generally leads to emulation, yes. The Vita hasn't hit that point yet but this hack could be one step closer to defeating all security unless someone was doing it piecemeal like the Wii U one.

sensui-tomo

anyone have a website link to the games and please dont tell me i have to have a ps3 to do this. I got a vita and ps tv. for USA accounts

just getting into this thread. Is the exploit allowing users to play vita games b/c if so, that thing is officially dead......

or is this just a we can play emus, ps1, etc? And is it limited to the vita tv or can the vita itself be exploited too?

The Vita is already dead.

Oh, so this allows a quite deeper access on the system than the previous hacks, right? Good, maybe I'll finally be able to put those old UMDs on my shelf to good use!

L.O.R.D

You have to enable access to less secure apps in gmail for the vita to be able to access the account.

You will also probably need Thunderbird installed as it was required to get Unity installed on 3.51 for the e-mail you forward to yourself.

i have outlook , and i was able to send that email to my hotmail account
however, my email is showing probably on my vita

So has this been confirmed to have account switching? I have a modded Vita with a capture board installed, so being able to switch to a Japanese account and play the exclusive stuff is all I'm really after. Full speed emulators is just icing on the cake.

flux1

This hack absolutely enables piracy.

There was a proof of concept about this a bit back that showed you still needing the cart to boot the game. So it would be useful for stuff like mods or fan edits if those ever became a thing, while still needing the game itself.

I hope no PSM is needed for this. Do we know for sure if its needed or not?

No, you just need the native e-mail app.

MUnited83

For you.
There was a proof of concept about this a bit back that showed you still needing the cart to boot the game. So it would be useful for stuff like mods or fan edits if those ever became a thing, while still needing the game itself.

No, you just need the native e-mail app.
Once you can play games that have been dumped and even modded, wouldn't getting rid of the cart requirement somewhat easy?

Thanks for the email info, thats awesome.

So there's about to be a new Vita hack that finally enables piracy or will lead to it at least. Neat...but it also bypasses the PSTV whitelist? Now that is awesome. Can't wait. Any ETA?

Top Bottom