• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita Heaven 2 Electric Bugaloo 2/18 - Zero new games, massive price drop, Vita RIP

Drek

everything was already announced,games are getting release very soon,seriously what was the point here? what a waste of time.

and why I have the feeling that SCEJ shifted their projects to PS4?

The point was that PSO2 comes out in 10 days, Soul Sacrifice in about two weeks. Both are being bundled with special Vita colors, a strong price cut, and what constitutes a re-launch of PS+ for Japan.

The point here wasn't to make fanboys across the world excited, the point was to push media awareness of the combined PSO2/Soul Sacrifice bundles and price cut this spring, just before they hit retailers. The other games were primarily filler to round out the show.

No N.A. or E.U. 3rd parties were going to be announced at this event. Most Japanese 3rd parties either do their own shows (like Square Enix) for new reveals or wait for TGS. Sony has a much more significant show coming up on the 20th, and E3 (when the entire industry shows up) is just a few months away. This wasn't mean to be a big unveiling of anything, it's entire purpose is raising awareness of PSO2, SS, new price, new colors, new PS+. That's the entire takeaway.

Just write Capcom the fucking checks already Sony.

Then the third-party support will roll in, and maybe some people will make games that don't involve hitting giant monsters with swords for hundreds of hours.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If there's little or no development interest, Sony should forget about Vita as an independent platform.

Bring the cloud infrastructure up to a high level, in Japan in particular, and unify the software platform around the home system(s). I.e. Vita just becomes a device for handheld play of PS3/PS4 games rather than its own platform.

Distinguishing between handheld and home platforms is wasteful and increasingly unnecessary as technology progresses. And untenable for Sony, IMO.

How many of you people complaining live in Japan? That montage of games at the end look pretty damn good to me and I hope we get at least half of them. They're also coming to Vita in less than a month in the REGION THIS STREAM WAS INTENDED FOR.

Soul Sacrifice
Tales of Hearts R
Stein's Gate
Atelier Meruru
Muramasa
One Piece
Dead or Alive

That's not a bad 30 day line up...

Why are you using common sense in Vita is dead thread? ;)

People complaining about English speakers complaining about the quality of the announcements need to remember THERE WERE NO ANNOUNCEMENTS.

And you were expecting any different from a conference literally announced the day it was happening?

I was disappointed too but in hindsight, I really should've expected this, given how out of the blue it was. I can only assume that the original plan was for the price drop to be announced during the PS Meeting in a couple of days but SCEJ wanted to get out with the news first.

SCEJ certainly have terrible messaging though, as they could've easily pre-empted all the backlash by simply allowing people to be realistic in their expectations. Simply saying that they were going to talk about games that were already announced but that there'd be new footage and news about them would've helped.

Xenon

anime holding a giant sword and slicing parts off a monster is rapidly becoming the eastern equivalent of bald shooterman holding an assault rifle with a red dot sight

To be fair, guys fighting giant monsters with over sized swords started in the US.

yB0hJbg.png

Afrikan

From memory, these are all the games they showed today:

Phantasy Star Online 2 (also on PC)
Toukiden (also on PSP)
Soul Sacrifice (exclusive!)
Valhalla Knights 3 (also on Wii)
Gundam Breaker (also on PS3)
God Eater 2 (also on PSP) - no date
Sen no Kiseki (also on PS3) - no date
Dragon's Crown (also on PS3) - no date
Final Fantasy X HD (also on PS3) - no date

Every single game has been announced before.

I can understand Vita owners being disappointed with no new games being announced..with the price drop really not doing anything for them as well. But I don't get certain frustrations.

My Vita is my first handheld since the original Gameboy, so maybe I'm not understanding other handheld gamers here regarding "exclusives".

I bought my Vita to be able to play certain games on the go....sure at home as well, but more on the go. Why are these games looked down upon just because there are also PS3 versions? I mean these games are exclusives for a handheld no? Exclusive portable versions.

I'm willing now to buy/ and continue to support certain games now because of having the option of portable versions. Games like MLB The Show, Fifa, and PSN titles.

also with Vita's limited install base, wouldn't having PS3 versions be a bonus to have more people to play with online? I'm guessing these games support cross platform gameplay.

Good to know FFX is still a thing but TBH, I'm surprised they didn't announce a SRW port or something. Hell, even a G Generation title.

That Gundam Breaker should drive some hardware sales at least.

How many of you people complaining live in Japan? That montage of games at the end look pretty damn good to me and I hope we get at least half of them. They're also coming to Vita in less than a month in the REGION THIS STREAM WAS INTENDED FOR.

Soul Sacrifice
Tales of Hearts R
Stein's Gate
Atelier Meruru
Muramasa
One Piece
Dead or Alive

I don't think you realize how incredibly niche those games are

snorggy

Am I being overly optimistic in thinking they are probably saving new game announcements for major industry events like e3 and tgs rather than a japan-centric livestream announced to be taking place mere hours beforehand?

Am I being overly optimistic in thinking they are probably saving new game announcements for major industry events like e3 and tgs rather than a japan-centric livestream announced to be taking place mere hours beforehand?

Get the hell out of here with that train of thought.

To be fair, guys fighting giant monsters with over sized swords started in the US.

See but we made that shit work.

You stab that dragon once, it's fucking dead FOREVER. You don't get to carve it up, wrap filthy bandages around it, and grind the fuck out of it until it becomes +1 or uber or uber +1.

Akainu

From memory, these are all the games they showed today:

Phantasy Star Online 2 (also on PC)
Toukiden (also on PSP)
Soul Sacrifice (exclusive!)
Valhalla Knights 3 (also on Wii)
Gundam Breaker (also on PS3)
God Eater 2 (also on PSP) - no date
Sen no Kiseki (also on PS3) - no date
Dragon's Crown (also on PS3) - no date
Final Fantasy X HD (also on PS3) - no date

Every single game has been announced before.
I swear you made this mistake before. The Wii game was something else.

It'll still be crap so who cares.

And you were expecting any different from a conference literally announced the day it was happening?

I was disappointed too but in hindsight, I really should've expected this, given how out of the blue it was. I can only assume that the original plan was for the price drop to be announced during the PS Meeting in a couple of days but SCEJ wanted to get out with the news first.

SCEJ certainly have terrible messaging though, as they could've easily pre-empted all the backlash by simply allowing people to be realistic in their expectations. Simply saying that they were going to talk about games that were already announced but that there'd be new footage and news about them would've helped.

That's what Nintendo seems to be doing these days. We are spoiled.

Kyon

Banned
Cmon Square just give us a date so Yuna can slay the lessor filth releasing this year.

Just one step CLOSER to FF X-2 HD vita slayage

Gather them Kween Yuna

tumblr_lvduzxcIfF1r4hg73o1_250.gif

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Dragons Crown was the only thing that really stood out for me. Price drop is important and I'm glad they finally came to their senses. Now Sony, please announce what ambassador games us early adopters will be getting for free.

Again, Sony purposely waited a full year, and endured terrible terrible sales numbers just so they wouldn't have to do this. Kind of messed up if you ask me. When a system flops, early adopters deserve some kind of compensation, after the company responds with a price drop. They stuck to their guns just long enough, so that they don't have to give anything to first year adopters.

I wouldn't look to E3 with portables if I were you (especially with PS4 coming) and last year's TGS was bad for Vita. The Vita is going to continue to do badly throughout the year and it's unlikely anyone wants to make any notable (exclusive) games for it. They had 0 new announcements here.

looks like Sony just never see Vita heaven as place for game announcements, it's more like a reminder of what's coming soon for Vita and that's it. and I guess 3rd party want their game to be announced on it's own as well, not lumped together with other studio's games.

I'll give Sony more time until the end of this year, obviously Sony is caught off guard by low Vita sales, there's no denying that, but any game or deal they make since then to revive Vita will need time before it shows, games don't come out of nowhere after all.

I'll wait until TGS at the longest before just flat out give up on Vita. I also damn hope PS Meeting will show some Vita features, not necessarily games, but even promise of all ps4 games remote play with Vita, or some gaikai service on vita could be cool.

lupin23rd

Good to know FFX is still a thing but TBH, I'm surprised they didn't announce a SRW port or something. Hell, even a G Generation title.

That Gundam Breaker should drive some hardware sales at least.

On the first Vita Game Heaven they talked to the SRW producer, and he said they will be making one, so I guess it's sorta been announced?

I didn't really expect one considering the 3DS version is coming out next month, they'd probably want to wait until after to announce another.

So what exactly happened to the Vita? The only scenario I can imagine is:

1. Sony rushed it to the market
2. Developers only had time to announce/push out ports.
3 Looked bad because of this and the situation reinforced itself.

Or a collapse of 3rd party relations? The PSP was pretty successful ...

KissVibes

Banned
Gran Turismo definitely would. It's one of the biggest franchises in gaming. Metal Gear 4 bumped the PS3 up when it was released.

Why would anyone the PSVita targets directly want a full-priced Gran Turismo when Real Racing 2 is on their smartphones right now?

I'm serious, I have no idea how anyone can suggest some Sony franchise is could pull the Vita out of the gutter when:

A) Said franchise probably wont make it the system in time for it to matter.

B) Sony franchises don't have that much weight. It took a 3rd-party game to give the PS3 a significant boost and we all know how 3rd party developers feel about the Vita right now.

C) The people the Vita is aimed at already have good smartphones and are too concerned with what the next home consoles are going to offer.

Sony had their opportunity at last years E3 to prove the Vita was alive and kicking. People walked away from their event laughing at the Vita because Sony barely cared at all to show anything for it. Hell, most of their big Vita games were pushed harder on Spike TV coverage AFTER the event.

The Vita is a mess and I honestly believe Sony will let it limp along for another year with the most barren support they can get away with, until the PS4 has launched and been on the market long enough for peoples mindshare to move on to the new exciting platform, and wont care that Sony drops support for the handheld.

So what exactly happened to the Vita? The only scenario I can imagine is:

1. Sony rushed it to the market
2. Developers only had time to announce/push out ports.
3 Looked bad because of this and the situation reinforced itself.

Or a collapse of 3rd party relations? The PSP was pretty successful ...

As I remember it, Software sales on the PSP were pretty weak worldwide. Wasn't one of the GTA games like the best selling PSP game every month in the US for years?

just now noticed the thread title

Yeah, a completely knee jerk reaction to an event that was being used to showcase bundles and a price drop. People that were expecting big game announcements from this type of show were setting themselves up for disappointment.

Soul Sacrifice
Tales of Hearts R
Stein's Gate
Atelier Meruru
Muramasa
One Piece
Dead or Alive

Four ports and a One Piece game. Vita is saved.

-MB-

Yeah, a completely knee jerk reaction to an event that was being used to showcase bundles and a price drop. People that were expecting big game announcements from this type of show were setting themselves up for disappointment.

You mean like Nintendo Directs do?

Top Bottom