• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita Heaven 2 Electric Bugaloo 2/18 - Zero new games, massive price drop, Vita RIP

Valentus

The resurrection of the PSP started when sony launched the PSP 2.0 + FF7 Crisis Core Pack.

This can be the same scenario with PSVita 2.0 + FFX HD pack.

The thing here is...

WHY SONY YOU HAVE TO RESURRECT YOUR FUCKING HANDHELD TWICE WITH A HARDWARE REVISION???? DIDNT YOU LEARN NOTHING LAST TIME OR ARE YOU FUCKING STUPID???

This is depressing, is like Sony is trolling all the people that pays $250 for this.

Let's not bring Nintendo into this equation considering they've got a console that is limping along as we speak. Nintendo is not perfect.

We're talking about things like this broadcast, not in general. Last week Nintendo announced a 3DS Direct on the morning it was taking place and revealed potentially big-selling software. This week Sony announced a Vita Heaven on the morning it was taking place, and revealed a price drop and not much else. Consumer expectations of this kind of thing have changed.
Because everyone thinks a bunch of Luigi games are super amazing?
At least they had announcements.

Drek

It's completely fine if it's your preference to play certain games on the go. But how is Sony going to convince consumers to buy a vita to play the portable version and not just play the version for a console they already own.

Because they want to play said game away from home.

If someone has no desire to play games away from the console they already own it's pretty fucking hard to sell them a new portable, wouldn't you say?

Everyone calling it a failure: What did you expect? Vita is dead since its launch and Sony must first get it on track again before anyone anounces new games for it. The price cut was a first step in that direction.

I don't think you can revive a struggling platform by reducing the price when the release schedule down the line looks barren.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
WOW! Nice price drop! Now bring some more good and exclusive games, Sony, and I'll really consider buying one!

Duxxy3

Still think that the Call of Duty and Assassin Creed bundles at $199 could carry them until E3. A bare bones vita at $199 with no pack in game or memory card is still unappealing.

For me anyhow a $199 vita with 4GB card, Assassins creed and 1 year of PS+ is a good deal. I would have to replace the card at some point, but the important part is that it's not something that comes out of pocket immediately.

Gaf is silly. People crying about a direct feed aimed for the Japanese market where games like these are popular as if it was a worldwide feed. This was a Japanese event so of course their going to cater and show games that are aimed for the Japanese audience. Maybe wait for an event dedicated for the US instead of crying about it. I though this board was where intelligent gamers discuss gaming but i guess fanboys are everywhere.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Yes, yes you are.

If either E3 or TGS last year had delivered on new game announcements, you might have a point, but with PS4 obviously Sony's focus this year and another year of terrible sales to dissuade third parties from substantively supporting Vita, it's even less likely.

We KNOW there are more games coming. The bigger games that will be released later havent been announced here, BECAUSE the conference wasnt MEANT to announce them. Seriously, get your head straight people.

Um... guys, a model for big reveals teased only a day or two beforehand and streamed on the internet exists now.

Yeah, different companies, different models, all that stuff, but having nothing to reveal here isn't really excusable when Nintendo are dropping WW million-sellers for 3DS with barely a day's notice.

Yes but you have to remember the Vita to Sony is like the WiiU to Nintendo. Their primary focus is on ps4/3.

I mean next weeks Direct for Third Party is for 3DS right? What does that say about the WiiU?

Similarly, Sony seem to be focused on the console that has the most potential which for them is ps3 and ps4. Its a shame because both WiiU and Vita could of had success somewhat close to their predecessors if the respective companies actually supported them or made an effort to.

Or the more likely scenario is that they're basically putting its future in SS's hands and if it doesn't work they will just let it fade. So people are expecting major announcements at E3 and TGS? What 3rd party is going to change their mind all of a sudden after seeing Vita's sales get even worse over the coming months where nothing is announced for?

probably not third party, but more 1st party like gravity rush and 2nd party like Soul Sacrifice

Wolfie5

Before watching this Vita Heaven thing, I thought good, they will focus on PS4 and PS3 only for their main event on the 20th.

After seeing this though and thinking about it, I realized this was about pricecut for Japan alone. Sony never hyped this, they announced this event only a couple of hours before it started.

Think about it, the first thing they showed was a price cut for Japan. While they were at it, they just showed games that were on the way and targeted for Japan. Nothing more.

I think new games announcement would be better to do when they have the press attention, which they will have on the 20th.
And if they don´t show anything, than I guess it´s RIP Vita.

BHK3

Banned
I still don't get the "Electric Bugaloo" part of the tittle.

Since the release of the film, the subtitle "Electric Boogaloo", a reference to a funk-oriented dance style of the same name, has been used to refer to sequels pejoratively.[1] The usual connotation suggests a sequel that is ridiculous, absurd, unwanted, unnecessary, formulaic, or obscure.[2][3]

Here.

Gaf is silly. People crying about a direct feed aimed for the Japanese market where games like these are popular as if it was a worldwide feed. Only Japan buy Vita so, of course their going to cater and show games that are aimed for the Japanese audience.

I don't mind a showcase full of literally nothing but Japanese games. A showcase with pretty much no new games and almost no Vita exclusives is a problem though.

GavinGT

Banned
Because they want to play said game away from home.

If someone has no desire to play games away from the console they already own it's pretty fucking hard to sell them a new portable, wouldn't you say?

I would wager that a majority of 3DS gaming is done at home. And it's because the platform offers experiences that can't be had elsewhere.

Yes but you have to remember the Vita to Sony is like the WiiU to Nintendo. Their primary focus is on ps4/3.

Last month Nintendo held a Direct showcasing Monolith Soft's new game, third party franchise alliances, new installments in long-running series and namedropped more to come at E3, all for Wii U.

Doesn't really wash, I'm afraid.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
chertipros said:
I don't think you realize how incredibly niche those games are
The last One Piece sold almost 1Milion on PS3 - and this one is releasing alongside the new movie. If that's "incredibly niche", what isn't?

Xater

Nope. It's a 50 buck price drop for the barebones Wifi model. It's a 100 buck price drop for both the 3G model and the 3G bundle with a 32gig card.

Having the 3G model priced the same as the Wi-Fi one s weird. Makes think if they are trying to sell 3G stock and phase that model out.

Bento

Yeah, a completely knee jerk reaction to an event that was being used to showcase bundles and a price drop. People that were expecting big game announcements from this type of show were setting themselves up for disappointment.
Why would they wait to show something though? They are in a spot that anything, a teaser or just some stills, for something further down the line would be good enough to try and create some hype for their hardware. They can't ask the consumers to take their word on them having something show at E3 or TGS when they barely have anything for the Japanese public to play past March and frankly didn't deliver the goods at those shows last year.

We KNOW there are more games coming. The bigger games that will be released later havent been announced here, BECAUSE the conference wasnt MEANT to announce them. Seriously, get your head straight people.

No....we really don't. As it stands most Japanese 3rd parties couldn't care less about Vita and it has been consistently shown the past year. We don't know anything at this point. For all we know, most 3rd parties have completely ended their Vita production which is more likely than a ton of games being in the backburner for a platform selling sub 10k every week.

TDLink

I mean next weeks Direct for Third Party is for 3DS right? What does that say about the WiiU?

Similarly, Sony seem to be focused on the console that has the most potential which for them is ps3 and ps4. Its a shame because both WiiU and Vita could of had success somewhat close to their predecessors if the respective companies actually supported them or made an effort to.

Whether Nintendo considers their primary system 3DS or Wii U, the fact remains that there were recently Nintendo Directs centered around each platform and in both cases there were multiple new games announced for them.

Vita's equivalent just now had no new games announced for it.

KalBalboa

Banned
It's completely fine if it's your preference to play certain games on the go. But how is Sony going to convince consumers to buy a vita to play the portable version and not just play the version for a console they already own.

People seem excited about that port. They could already play OoT on their N64 and Gamecube too before the 3DS version sold as well as it did.

Portability means something to a lot of people, especially when it comes with remastered visuals, trophies, etc.

BadWolf

I don't mind a showcase full of literally nothing but Japanese games. A showcase with pretty much no new games and almost no Vita exclusives is a problem though.

It was an even announced a few hours before it was going to occur, what did you expect? What major dev would want their game announced to the world at such an event?

It was for the price drop, nothing more.

I think some people are underestimating the significance of this. This price drop, at this stage of the Vitas life and its current situation, is almost a concession of defeat on the part of Sony. It's obvious sales have been less then satisfactory just to cover production and distribution and this is not going to help at all, but they must start moving units.

A Price cut means little if it isn't followed by a slew of must have games. Nintendo capitalized on the 3DS price-cut with Ocarina of Time, and Mario Kart and 3D Land a few months later.

A price-cut is just not a big enough announcement on its own. It doesn't matter if I can get the hardware $50 cheaper if all I have to play on it are PSP and PS1 games.

With that said, I am enjoying Sly Cooper, but what's next?

Drek

We're talking about things like this broadcast, not in general. Last week Nintendo announced a 3DS Direct on the morning it was taking place and revealed potentially big-selling software. This week Sony announced a Vita Heaven on the morning it was taking place, and revealed a price drop and not much else. Consumer expectations of this kind of thing have changed.

Its a press conference, there are no consumer expectations. You live in a hardcore gamer bubble who watches internet streams of a company's foreign pressers. You were clearly not the target audience for this.

The target audience was the Japanese media who will now cover the Vita price drop, new system colors, PSO2 and Soul Sacrifice bundles, and free week of PS+.

That was the entire purpose here. Hell, it's why they're doing the price drop now, the new system colors now, etc.. They're capitalizing on PSO2 and Soul Sacrifice coming out close together and using that for a new push.

The Vita's library overall is solid, it's 2013 release list is as well. That hasn't been selling the system in Japan. They now have two high pedigree games with the potential to move units in Japan and you're wondering why they didn't show anything new at an event specifically designed to roll out system bundles for those two games and an across the board price cut.

Artemisia

Banned
Gaf is silly. People crying about a direct feed aimed for the Japanese market where games like these are popular as if it was a worldwide feed. This was a Japanese event so of course their going to cater and show games that are aimed for the Japanese audience. Maybe wait for an event dedicated for the US instead of crying about it. I though this board was where intelligent gamers where but i guess fanboys are everywhere.

That doesn't explain how there was not one single new game shown. Try to keep up.

-MB-

Because everyone thinks a bunch of Luigi games are super amazing?

Get over your opinions and preference. WiiU upcoming stuff looked amazing. 3DS? I want Castlevania, Fire Emblem MH4 and Pokemon for the rest of the year. That's it...Will go back and get RE and Kid Icarus probably but not everyone feels like 3DS is so awesome...I use my Vita a lot more atm...

Thats last ND, they have done multiple big announcements on previous NDs.
And we still got a 3rd party one coming soon.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Last month Nintendo held a Direct showcasing Monolith Soft's new game, third party franchise alliances, new installments in long-running series and namedropped more to come at E3, all for Wii U.

Doesn't really wash, I'm afraid.
Sony simply doesn't have the first party development to sustain a middling system in Japan. They got through on PSP with massive third party hits, Nintendo bought that goodwill out, and now Sony is treading water hoping some other publisher will create a hit and do their work for them.

I'm sure Tecmo Koei are glad that there's nothing much on the system to compete with (I hope Toukiden works out), but the big guys aren't biting.

hongcha

As a Vita owner, I thought it was a good presentation. The price cut is a major move, I'm really surprised they slashed the 3G by 10,000 yen. No unannounced games, but they have a really good line up already and it's only February. More games should be announced at E3 and beyond. New color (silver), some FFX footage, and other bits were nice to see as well. Though if this price drop doesn't work, the Vita probably won't last more than a year or so. A lot is riding on Vita hardware and software performance over the next couple months.

Saty

UPDATE: Sony told Eurogamer this morning it had no news on a UK price cut.

"The price cut announced today is for the SCE Japan region only," a spokesperson said. "We have nothing to announce at this time regarding pricing within the our own region."

big youth

it's not the price drop itself that's exciting, it's the implications of it. I don't imagine Sony would take further losses on hardware if they expected Vita to be discontinued this year. Sony is showing they will fight to keep Vita alive.

Top Bottom