• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyzard

Banned
Don't bother with super monkey ball guys.

So much brown, (mostly) poor colour scheme. Simple and boring level designs and environments. 3 out of 30 in normal mode were JUST up to a decent standard of design and complexity and advanced mode is not fun at all (way too difficult). I've seen others saying the same thing in the sega forums. Meh for a tenner by retail it's okay if you are desperate for SMB and don't have a mobile.

Normal mode takes 30minutes to complete, I think I died twice and only because of extra bananas - not getting to the goal. And I don't care about the minigames much.

Don't buy at full price...but yeah check out Sonic Racing Transformed instead (and don't forget Stranger's Wrath :p). SMB has been out for ages (especially in Japan) and it seems they aren't bothering (to fix/improve it). The level editor isn't worth mentioning.

-this is the main problem, from another poster on the sega forums:

I feel like the build up of difficulty in this game isn't as good as the originals. It goes from 40 ridiculously easy stages straight in to super duper hard ones. Nothing in between. Let me put it this way. Super Monkey Ball 1 had 10 beginner levels, 30 advanced levels and 50 expert levels. This game just feels like it cuts out that middle difficulty and has 40 beginner levels, followed by 50 expert levels.

For SMB experts/fanatics - I haven't gotten far enough in advanced mode yet to judge the levels.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Pretty sure it's just this coming week and the next.

Well do we know its not just the next?
Edit: And AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. I just played 4 more hours of ZHP. I cant stop grinding >_< Only did that first extra dungeon. Does anyone know how these implants properly work? I want to use the "revives you once" implant, but I cant get it to work. The implants could be placed on the premade stones, but this one cant? Constantly tells me I need a different colour, but I cant figure out how. Trying full yellow T shape next.

Lvl 187 currently.

Skyzard

Banned
Interested in this but the price tag is a bit too steep for me atm.

Online multiplayer karting! Weapons, Sega, pretty colours and party chat with Gaf.

SP has a lot of content, upgrades and replayability as well. Good game. Could use a patch for boosting the framerate a little but I take back what I said earlier, it's definitely worth getting.

-brb

Rasec

Online multiplayer karting! Weapons, Sega, pretty colours and party chat with Gaf.

SP has a lot of content, upgrades and replayability as well. Good game. Could use a patch for boosting the framerate a little but I take back what I said earlier, it's definitely worth getting.

-brb

Nice description of this gem xP
i actually think the price is fair and i'm having a blast with this game. Because of this game i still haven't started on my import copy of Virtue's last reward. xP

Scythian

I'm seriously considering upgrading my 8GB card to a 16GB, since I'm kinda running out of space and backing up saves seems a hassle.
And I'll probably subscribe to Playstation Plus, for those who have it, is it worth it? I'm kinda nervous since I don't know if I'll be able to keep buying subscriptions every three/nine months indefinitely :/

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I'm seriously considering upgrading my 8GB card to a 16GB, since I'm kinda running out of space and backing up saves seems a hassle.
And I'll probably subscribe to Playstation Plus, for those who have it, is it worth it? I'm kinda nervous since I don't know if I'll be able to keep buying subscriptions every three/nine months indefinitely :/

It is definitely worth it if you dont own the games being offered. Uncharted? Gravity Rush? If the free games look good to you, try to sub for a year and then be done with it for 12 months. I realize its a monetary consideration though... Same thing with the cards.. I am on a 32GB and I am still running out of space >_<

zroid

Banned
I wish I didn't have such a mental block from paying subscription fees, because I fully recognize the value of PS+. I'm not really a big fan of the "free" games concept because I don't like the idea of losing the right to play my games, but it was nice getting to play Golden Abyss right now without paying for it (have a 1 month trial in effect at the moment), and the additional discounts offered that DO give you ownership are ace.

During a certain sale earlier this year, there were about 3 games I wanted to buy, and as per usual the PS+ discount was greater than the plebeian discount. I had to convince myself that I would be incurring net savings on the cost of a 3 month subscription or else it's not worthwhile. From those 3 games alone I would have saved about $11 if I had PS+. If there was another sale on games I wanted in the next month or two, I would probably have gotten my money back. I didn't subscribe as I was paranoid about this. I ultimately made the wrong decision, and I still regret it.

Toma

Is ZHP on sale?

Constantly price lowered from 30$ to 20$. While having a huge amount of fun with it, I'd have a hard time generally recommending it. Its a game that you really need to be... a certain kind of person for. You really should like grinding for one.

Derrick01

Banned
Little king story or VLR?

I really liked LKS on wii, in fact it's one of the only wii games I liked in my brief time with the system, but I don't know what they changed or how the vita version runs.

VLR is pretty good though. I only have about 30-40% of the story branches filled but I've been relatively impressed with what I've played. Solid writing, an intriguing enough story, puzzles that range from kind of challenging to pretty damn hard, and the game recognizes when you go back to a branching path to take the other side and it changes scenes and dialog depending on what happened the first time you picked.

Toma

Liked 999 a lot, but isn't LKS supposed to be a bit pikmin-y?

What Derrick said. If you liked 999 and are in for more, get VLR. Its the better "game" of the two games in the series in my opinion even. Little Kings Story is not a bad game either, but I'd give VLR a higher priority if being asked A or B.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Constantly price lowered from 30$ to 20$. While having a huge amount of fun with it, I'd have a hard time generally recommending it. Its a game that you really need to be... a certain kind of person for. You really should like grinding for one.

I do love me some grinding. I will watch some vids though. I'm starting a new character in Gods Eater, so I will probably do that first.

kiyomi

Like Carl, won't be around for the next week so just wishing a very merry Christmas to all Vitabros. Have fun and eat cake <3

Koroviev

I still think Sony is shooting itself in the foot by reserving the reasonable 50% discount for PS+ members. Coming from Steam sales, 30% is a complete joke, and I'm not spending $50 a year to save substantially less than that.

Derrick01

Banned
What Derrick said. If you liked 999 and are in for more, get VLR. Its the better "game" of the two games in the series in my opinion even. Little Kings Story is not a bad game either, but I'd give VLR a higher priority if being asked A or B.

Plus LKS might go on sale sometime this week or next so maybe wait and see I guess. I'm not sure if it's digital only everywhere outside of japan but over here in NA it's digital only and $35 whereas you can probably find some kind of retail sale on VLR.

Toma

I still think Sony is shooting itself in the foot by reserving the reasonable 50% discount for PS+ members. Coming from Steam sales, 30% is a complete joke, and I'm not spending $50 a year to save substantially less than that.

You're an expert, eh?

The problem is that PSN cant offer the same amount of games that Steam does and therefore needs to keep it at a higher price since they make less money overall on the items. I have 500 games in my Steam library and Valve only makes this much money because those 500+ games lunatics are pretty common. If your selling (PSN) library is substantially smaller, making the games even cheaper wont help you that much since you cant balance it through raw amount of games you sold.

Besides, they want PS+ sub sales. This model seems to be highly lucrative for them (since people keep resubbing), so it makes sense pushing it where they can.

Scythian

About P+, I don't know if what I want would be discounted, and I'd only buy PSP/PS1 games, since I mostly ignore new releases; and seeing the P+ section on the vita, I wouldn't buy any of the currently discounted games, I'm thinking it may not be for me :p

Also, it's uncomfortable not having a certain place to check on current discounts, would it bee too hard to put a "Sale" section on the (PSV) store? :/

Koroviev

You're an expert, eh?

The problem is that PSN cant offer the same amount of games that Steam does and therefore needs to keep it at a higher price since they make less money overall on the items. I have 500 games in my Steam library and Valve only makes this much money because those 500+ games lunatics are pretty common. If your library is substantially smaller, making the games even cheap wont help you that much since you cant balance it through sheer game count.

The problem is that Sony offers many of the same games as Steam and XBLA, yet there's nothing to entice me to favor PSN over those marketplaces. Price is really the only way that they can compete, yet they continue to charge a premium. I think it's completely reasonable to have the subscription for the free games and cloud services, but as far as I am aware, none of the competing services charge a premium for a minor discount. "Pity Sony" isn't an argument.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Plus LKS might go on sale sometime this week or next so maybe wait and see I guess. I'm not sure if it's digital only everywhere outside of japan but over here in NA it's digital only and $35 whereas you can probably find some kind of retail sale on VLR.

Any reason LKS might go on sale?

I think LKS and VLR are both available retail in the UK. Not huge savings on VLR (£25 retail/£29.99 on PSN), but LKS is £22 retail vs £34.55 PSN. Just prefer digital where possible

Skyzard

Banned
Merry Christmas Monosukoi - you get cake for christmas? :3

Nice description of this gem xP
i actually think the price is fair and i'm having a blast with this game. Because of this game i still haven't started on my import copy of Virtue's last reward. xP

It really is a lot of fun and I hope many more people pick it up so we can get some gaf games going. It really delivers on the joy of karting and is packed with a lot of Sega goodness. --also, try turning down the commentator's audio volume in the settings :)

I wish I didn't have such a mental block from paying subscription fees, because I fully recognize the value of PS+. I'm not really a big fan of the "free" games concept because I don't like the idea of losing the right to play my games, but it was nice getting to play Golden Abyss right now without paying for it (have a 1 month trial in effect at the moment), and the additional discounts offered that DO give you ownership are ace.

During a certain sale earlier this year, there were about 3 games I wanted to buy, and as per usual the PS+ discount was greater than the plebeian discount. I had to convince myself that I would be incurring net savings on the cost of a 3 month subscription or else it's not worthwhile. From those 3 games alone I would have saved about $11 if I had PS+. If there was another sale on games I wanted in the next month or two, I would probably have gotten my money back. I didn't subscribe as I was paranoid about this. I ultimately made the wrong decision, and I still regret it.

I never really followed the service before, had been playing a lot of PC last few years so I didn't know what the offerings were like.
At the moment I'm the exact same and I'm thinking of going PS+ only for the months that I really want, like recently. Especially for games I can see myself able to let go of after playing them extensively (or at least, more than I usually would with my own games). I'm planning on still buying Big Sky Infinity so I can keep it forever which was on PS+ for EU at least.

At the moment it is very good value, especially with the recent sale and I'm very tempted to just go out for the full year. If I do that I know I won't bother rebuying the games later and then I'll have a substantial portion of a game collection that I likely enjoy, tied up with a subscription. If the prices were to stay like this I wouldn't mind at all, but what if when it gets better and there are more subscribers and they decide, hey we need to bump it for next-gen costs or whatever - so many will be dependant on the subscription that they sort of have to keep paying.

Sure there is no current reason to suggest that (although I don't know the price history for the subscription). I'm slightly too paranoid and too much of a collector to go full gear with it at the moment, but I understand why so many people have chosen to and are happy with the prices/service. For now will use it as a sort of game-rental service/avoiding full price of not-so-sure titles and with some bonus discounts, whenever it's getting good.

If I had a proper PS3 hard drive, and actually played my PS3 more often then things would probably have been different. Or at least if Sony can keep up high quality offerings like I've seen recently then I'd have to give in.

Also if I had money I'd probably buy like 5-8 years worth of subscriptions now while it's on sale hah.

Koroviev

About P+, I don't know if what I want would be discounted, and I'd only buy PSP/PS1 games, since I mostly ignore new releases; and seeing the P+ section on the vita, I wouldn't buy any of the currently discounted games, I'm thinking it may not be for me :p

Also, it's uncomfortable not having a certain place to check on current discounts, would it bee too hard to put a "Sale" section on the (PSV) store? :/

Check back in a few years. Isn't there a sales section on the PS3 PSN?

Toma

Any reason LKS might go on sale?

I think LKS and VLR are both available retail in the UK. Not huge savings on VLR (£25 retail/£29.99 on PSN), but LKS is £22 retail vs £34.55 PSN. Just prefer digital where possible
Well we are still missing about 16 titles for the sale. we don't know which but it's likely that two or three random Vita games might get a sale.

Carl

The problem is that Sony offers many of the same games as Steam and XBLA, yet there's nothing to entice me to favor PSN over those marketplaces. Price is really the only way that they can compete, yet they continue to charge a premium. I think it's completely reasonable to have the subscription for the free games and cloud services, but as far as I am aware, none of the competing services charge a premium for a minor discount. "Pity Sony" isn't an argument.

Sony don't set the price. Publishers do.

Toma

Still waiting to see the resolution of the secret Santa :p
Waiting on the last person ;) Apparently the gift has been bought and we are now waiting on this guys mail from GameStop. I should be posting it tomorrow :) Together with another small surprise :-o

Rasec

Merry Christmas Monosukoi - you get cake for christmas? :3

It really is a lot of fun and I hope many more people pick it up so we can get some gaf games going. It really delivers on the joy of karting and is packed with a lot of Sega goodness. --also, try turning down the commentator's audio volume in the settings :)
Damn, didn't knew you could turn down the commentator's audio xP
thanks for the tip.
i still haven't played it online since me and my gf are having a blast playing the challenges on turns.

Skyzard

Banned
Damn, didn't knew you could turn down the commentator's audio xP
thanks for the tip.
i still haven't played it online since me and my gf are having a blast playing the challenges on turns.

I only played it online just recently and it's a lot of fun but I really enjoy the challenges too, usually a perfect fps and I typically enjoy time trials and this has quite a few nice variations. Btw even if you don't want to, try turning down the volume, just to test it.

I'm going to play some more now. I'll add you to friends as well if I haven't already, I want to make myself see more activity in the feed, deserves way more :p

Btw Lyphen you are 40th on the leaderboards! Not bad, I'm 1100 lol

Dantis

Bought the Spyro trilogy earlier. Feels like such a relic of a bygone age. You couldn't create something so laid back and aimless now, certainly not as a retail release. It's ace.

I also started Abe's Oddysee, which I picked up a few months back. Feels bizarrely modern, in a lot of ways. Bloody difficult though.

Toma

Bought the Spyro trilogy earlier. Feels like such a relic of a bygone age. You couldn't create something so laid back and aimless now, certainly not as a retail release. It's ace.

I also started Abe's Oddysee, which I picked up a few months back. Feels bizarrely modern, in a lot of ways. Bloody difficult though.
Replayed those games a while ago (Oddworld),and they are still so incredibly unique. Great games, glad they got some attention back then and I REALLY want them on Vita.

Laid back and aimless?

Hmm...

Minecraft?
maybe DayZ?

Spyro is still fantastic though

Rasec

I only played it online just recently and it's a lot of fun but I really enjoy the challenges too, usually a perfect fps and I typically enjoy time trials. Btw even if you don't want to, try turning down the volume, just to test it.

I'm going to play some more now. I'll add you to friends as well if I haven't already, I want to make myself see more activity in the feed, deserves way more :p

Btw Lyphen you are 40th on the leaderboards! Not bad, I'm 1100 lol

Nice, i'm Rasec46 on psn.
also when i check the activity i only see myself with the game. T_T

Hmmm. From where I'm sitting:

Don't have a good gaming PC but have a PS3 or Vita? Advantage Sony over Steam; especially if you own both and it's cross-buy.

And people have never been able to convince me that I should give MS $60 a year just to play online occasionally. Not when I can get all the features I want from Sony for free. Now add in a 30% discount? Or a 50% discount and a ton of "rental games" if I buy a few months of PS+? Advantage Sony over MS.

Don't have a good gaming PC but have a PS3 or Vita? Advantage Sony over Steam; especially if you own both and it's cross-buy.

And people have never been able to convince me that I should give MS $60 a year just to play online occasionally. Not when I can get all the features I want from Sony for free. Now add in a 30% discount? Or a 50% discount and a ton of "rental games" if I buy a few months of PS+? Advantage Sony over MS.
Yep.

Steam is basically useless for someone like me who only has a MacBook Air. Seeing how much better Dark Souls (modded) is on PC compared to consoles is tempting, but there's just not enough enticing, exclusive PC games for me to actually buy a gaming PC.

And the advantages over XBLA (cross-buy, free service) are rather obvious.

VanWinkle

Nice, i'm Rasec46 on psn.
also when i check the activity i only see myself with the game. T_T

Add me too. Vanwinkle on PSN. I haven't played too much of it yet but I played with Skyzard and Lyphen last night in multiplayer and the two or three races we were actually able to do were extremely fun.

Agreed so much. PSN to me has a huge advantage to XBL with PS+. Especially with Vita, where it has all the online functionality that XBL has and is STILL free!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom