• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | April 2013 | Sacrifice your Independent Soul

Onemic

bets on when the ps store will update? I want +R damn it!

Vita recommendation: Buy Guilty Gear today!

slayer-wins3.gif

nowai

Soooooo, I hate to say it Vitapals, but I don't think I'm feeling Soul Sacrifice.

I'm not a huge fan of the setting, but I can overlook a lot for a great game experience.

It's mostly the very small area style zones that really bother me. Read the book, zone in, hit down direction to find the shiny white bits, kill the mobs, zone out. Read the book, zone in, hit down direction to find the shiny white bits, kill the mobs, zone out.Read the book, zone in, hit down direction to find the shiny white bits, kill the mobs, zone out.

I had read about the small zones in the demo impressions thread, but it's REALLY bad. The zones are super small and there is nothing to explore.

I want to buy the game to support the Vita market, but I feel I will get bored really quickly.

Onemic

Soooooo, I hate to say it Vitapals, but I don't think I'm feeling Soul Sacrifice.

I'm not a huge fan of the setting, but I can overlook a lot for a great game experience.

It's mostly the very small area style zones that really bother me. Read the book, zone in, hit down direction to find the shiny white bits, kill the mobs, zone out. Read the book, zone in, hit down direction to find the shiny white bits, kill the mobs, zone out.Read the book, zone in, hit down direction to find the shiny white bits, kill the mobs, zone out.

I had read about the small zones in the demo impressions thread, but it's REALLY bad. The zones are super small and there is nothing to explore.

I want to buy the game to support the Vita market, but I feel I will get bored really quickly.

This is what I was afraid of.

Demo just finished downloading I think. Will post my impressions later tonight.

I find it way more enjoyable than Ragnarok Odyssey. Less BS, more action.

DigitalOp

Banned

Not every game is for everybody. No need to feel bad if it's not your style of game.

For example (I will be hung on the gaming cross for this...) Ive never even gotten a 1/4 of the way through a Zelda game, Nothing seems to compell me to keep playing. But I will try once again for OoT 3D. Maybe even Majora 3D if it exists one day

IMO, I think your missing out :p

Then don't, simple as that; game might not be for you, no matter how many people are hyped for it.

That said -- It's a boss rush style game. I'm not sure why people are expecting exploration and large maps. This is not Dark Souls/Demon's Souls nor is it intended to be. As much as I hate the comparisons to Monster Hunter because a lot of the core gameplay systems are radically different to me, the base essence is the same -- go to an area, fight a boss type creature, level up, rinse, repeat.

I believe a more accurate description of gameplay would be:
Go to area, watch team members make stupid decisions and suck, fail mission, retry. Get same results with same group. Realize you're trying to change the outcome without changing the variables. Decide you're insane to stay. Find a new room. Go to area, kill boss. Get spells, upgrade spells, select new area, etc.

nowai

Not every game is for everybody. No need to feel bad if it's not your style of game.

For example (I will be hung on the gaming cross for this...) Ive never even gotten a 1/4 of the way through a Zelda game, Nothing seems to compell me to keep playing. But I will try once again for OoT 3D. Maybe even Majora 3D if it exists one day

IMO, I think your missing out :p

You don't feel that the zero exploration or lack of anything to do outside of combat will get boring?

I know it's only a demo, so I am only speaking from my limited experience with the game, but it feels like a quasi Guild Wars only on a MUCH smaller scale. ie, no open world, lobby system, and zones you can play multi or solo.

The biggest draw for me is the multi, but it's almost like zoning into the room right before the boss in an MMO instance. Not a lot of strategy outside of which elements to pick.

I get that it's designed to be a pure action game without a lot of fluff, but I'm going to have to wait for GAF impressions and reviews to see if the whole game is really like what the demo shows...although the I was going to pre-order to get the Japanese VO because the English nonsense they have on the demo vomits all over my ears.

lol, first world problems. 'merica.

EDIT:
That said -- It's a boss rush style game.
Yep, you're 100% correct. Bummer, just not my jam. Oh well back to Guacamelee hard mode and my massive backlog.

btkadams

don't buy games you don't think you'll enjoy! lol there's nothing wrong with not getting it.

LuchaShaq

Banned
When does Disgaea 3 open up?

Trying to play about 2 hours in and the constant tutorials and cringe inducing story is making me hate this game so much.

One week with my Vita and loving it, but found two bugs that made me restart the console.

1) When I started Uncharted: Golden Abyss the game crashed and I had to restart the console since the buttons didnt respond. Had to press the power button for something like 10 seconds and turn on Safe Mode.

2) This one is annoying, sometimes when trying to download demos from the PSN store the message "Preparing to Download..." will stay there forever. I can in fact cancel the download but the screen turns grey and I cant do anything else, the PS button doesnt respond and I cant get back to the main menu. So I have to restart the console everytime this happens (3 times total). Anyone else has this kind of problem?

btkadams

One week with my Vita and loving it, but found two bugs that made me restart the console.

1) When I started Uncharted: Golden Abyss the game crashed and I had to restart the console since the buttons didnt respond. Had to press the power button for something like 10 seconds and turn on Safe Mode.

2) This one is annoying, sometimes when trying to download demos from the PSN store the message "Preparing to Download..." will stay there forever. I can in fact cancel the download but the screen turns grey and I cant do anything else, the PS button doesnt respond and I cant get back to the main menu. So I have to restart the console everytime this happens (3 times total). Anyone else has this kind of problem?

this never happened to me before but happened to me 3 times in the past week. it was most definitely caused by the recent update. it should be fixed soon, i'd hope.

zulux21

When does Disgaea 3 open up?

Trying to play about 2 hours in and the constant tutorials and cringe inducing story is making me hate this game so much.

it opens up a bit when ever item world opens, though you don't start getting more interesting side quests and what not until like 10-15 hours in.
unfortunately there are a ton of mechanics in disgaea 3 so a lot of tutorials are needed to make it playable to people who haven't played the series. As for the story, you can always skip it if you don't like it... I am pretty sure there is a skip option if you press start or something as I think I was skipping the story when I was replaying it on the vita.

on a different note dragon's crown has been confirmed for august 6th with cross save and a $40 price tag on the vita.
YAY

Especially if you played the original NES versions of Dragon Quest/Warrior I & II.

played them, liked them at the time, consider them garbage now though.... so tedious to do anything in the early dragon warrior games.

Goal: go from outside a house to inside and down into the basement.

how to do it.
Step one: move to in front of the door.
Step two: open the menu.
Step three: select open action to open door
Step four: move so you are standing on top of the stairs to the basement.
Step five: open the menu
Step six: select the stairs action so you can go down the stairs.

so freaken tedious, Dragon fantasy isn't horribly designed like that is it?

Tiamant

Hi guys, just dropping here to say that Rayman Legends has popped out at my work's (Fnac Spain) intranet. For the record we were the first to have the release date for Little King's Story :p

branny

You don't feel that the zero exploration or lack of anything to do outside of combat will get boring?
Honestly, my gripes against the game are more combat-related than anything else. Every endgame video I see is just people putting a golem during the boss transformation (pressing start to skip the animation, lol), and then spamming their strongest multi-missile spells. You don't have to abuse that sort of thing, but, when the majority of spells only have a single function, I fear the game's longevity is going to suffer no matter what you choose to use.

ReaperXL7

I find it way more enjoyable than Ragnarok Odyssey. Less BS, more action.

I tried the demo for Ragnarok and thought it was alright, mind telling me what your issues were? Just curious before I ever decide to purchase or not.

on another note, im excited for GG tonight, if anyone wants to add me for fighters(or anything really) my psn is ReaperXL7, so far I have Mortal Kombat, UMVC3, and GG tonight. Will also have BB, and DOA5+ by the end of next week at the latest.

Onemic

Honestly, my gripes against the game are more combat-related than anything else. Every endgame video I see is just people putting a golem during the boss transformation (pressing start to skip the animation, lol), and then spamming their strongest multi-missile spells. You don't have to abuse that sort of thing, but when the majority of spells only have a single function, I fear the game's longevity is going to suffer no matter what you choose to use.

yup, I will officially wait for reviews and impressions of the final game before buying.

Honestly, my gripes against the game are more combat-related than anything else. Every endgame video I see is just people putting a golem during the boss transformation (pressing start to skip the animation, lol), and then spamming their strongest multi-missile spells. You don't have to abuse that sort of thing, but, when the majority of spells only have a single function, I fear the game's longevity is going to suffer no matter what you choose to use.

At least (IMO, of course) the game has attack variety unlike some other games it's compared to. ;)
And yeah, you can partially abuse the golems, if done right... but archfiends have ways to get around it. I was just playing and yeah, we leveraged golems to beat Cerberus, but it wasn't so easy as "put a golem in the center, then run around the edge and spam missles until you're out and the boss is dead". Hell, I checked Cerberus's health and the last teammate I had was down... it was red, so I said "hope this does it" and sacrificed him as requested. It did not kill the boss. I then had to evade and strategically attack and refill my spells where possible with the boss's entire focus on me. At one point I was dodging trying to get once of the Orcs in the way of the charge so it would die and I could sacrifice it for more spells because I was out. From where I'm sitting, longevity should be fine.

notice how you had to put 3D in front of it? It's an adjective describing Zelda. That's not true Zelda!

So Zelda II wasn't true Zelda then either, huh? :p
How do you feel about the Metroid Prime entires? Or how about the "3D" Mario games? ;)

jwk94

I tried the demo for Ragnarok and thought it was alright, mind telling me what your issues were? Just curious before I ever decide to purchase or not.

on another note, im excited for GG tonight, if anyone wants to add me for fighters(or anything really) my psn is ReaperXL7, so far I have Mortal Kombat, UMVC3, and GG tonight. Will also have BB, and DOA5+ by the end of next week at the latest.

Ragnarok Odysset had no purpose. I bought that game, and played around an hour of it. I have absolutely no recollection of a fleshed out story. All I remember i something with a rock or a fort. After you're dropped into the game, they don't mention it again. After that, it's just beating monsters up until the cows come home. And that wasn't even that fun since there wasn't a bonefide leveling system. I felt like there was no way to know that I was progressing other than looking at the Chapters. It just wasn't fun.

Hi guys, just dropping here to say that Rayman Legends has popped out at my work's (Fnac Spain) intranet. For the record we were the first to have the release date for Little King's Story :p

Excellent news... is it supposedly coming to the major platforms as well (PC, PS3, Xbox360)?

By all accounts, GG will not have PSN online -- it's ad-hoc only.
But I have UMvC3, BBCSE, MK9, and SFxT, so add me, if my list isn't full... though my memory card didn't have a lot of room so MK9 isn't currently installed.

i refer to them as 2d zelda and 3d zelda. there is no true zelda!

I suppose you could call the older entries (top down) "classic" Zelda... but still, I agree with you!

The combat was alright, but the inability to actually gain experience and level up gives the player little sense of accomplishment. Instead, you're left grinding for card drops which isn't exactly what I initially signed up for.

Is SS, you have the ability to level up so you can see your character getting stronger or gaining more HP. You always get "good" drops if you score well on specific missions, so there's an obvious goal with a tangible reward. I prefer the combat system of this game to RO.

In PSO2, not only do you gain experience, but it's also tied to your class. You can switch classes, which you also have to level, so there's a ton to do. You also gain bonuses from leveling a second class (sub class). Theres even skill trees in this one.

The level of customization in these two games compared to RO is ridiculous, though PSO2 really takes the cake in that regard.

You could say Zelda II isn't "true" Zelda, but according to others' classification system, it's definitely not a 3D Zelda, so you would assume it's lumped into the other, 2D zeldas, if you were so inclined.

Based on what I posted previously, you would ASSUME I would categorize it in the "True Zelda" category by process of elimination.

I'm not sure where you arrived at that conclusion Frost. I do prefer Zelda II about 5 to 1 over OoT, or any other "3D Zelda".

Sol1dus

Yup it happened to me four times after the most recent update. What I did was clear the system cache and it seemed to make it stop.

Ragnarok Odysset had no purpose. I bought that game, and played around an hour of it. I have absolutely no recollection of a fleshed out story. All I remember i something with a rock or a fort. After you're dropped into the game, they don't mention it again. After that, it's just beating monsters up until the cows come home. And that wasn't even that fun since there wasn't a bonefide leveling system. I felt like there was no way to know that I was progressing other than looking at the Chapters. It just wasn't fun.

I couldn't agree more. It's sits at the top of my most regrettable purchases. I bought into the whole Ragnarok nostalgia stuff and found it very empty. I think I'm just not that into the specific genre. It's a shame as SS looks great and seems to be very well fleshed out, yet I'm just not into it. You would think after trying to playing MH, RO, PSO and GEB I would stop trying these.

breakfuss

You could say Zelda II isn't "true" Zelda, but according to others' classification system, it's definitely not a 3D Zelda, so you would assume it's lumped into the other, 2D zeldas, if you were so inclined.

Based on what I posted previously, you would ASSUME I would categorize it in the "True Zelda" category by process of elimination.

I'm not sure where you arrived at that conclusion Frost. I do prefer Zelda II about 5 to 1 over OoT, or any other "3D Zelda".

what?????????

Lol, your name is very fitting!

jwk94

I couldn't agree more. It's sits at the top of my most regrettable purchases. I bought into the whole Ragnarok nostalgia stuff and found it very empty. I think I'm just not that into the specific genre. It's a shame as SS looks great and seems to be very well fleshed out, yet I'm just not into it. You would think after trying to playing MH, RO, PSO and GEB I would stop trying these.

After RO, I didn't think I'd have fun with SS but I was wrong. If I'm playing in moderation, I have a lot of fun. I'm still trying to grasp the mechanics but its coming to me. I like the depth of the lore. I was trying to figure if the Harpy had any weaknesses so I read her story in the tome and it was actually a legit backstory about how she became the harpy. It's actually pretty long too. I loved it.

Top Bottom