• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | April 2013 | Sacrifice your Independent Soul

I couldn't agree more. It's sits at the top of my most regrettable purchases. I bought into the whole Ragnarok nostalgia stuff and found it very empty. I think I'm just not that into the specific genre. It's a shame as SS looks great and seems to be very well fleshed out, yet I'm just not into it. You would think after trying to playing MH, RO, PSO and GEB I would stop trying these.

Depends on what you don't like about each of those as to why you would stop trying.
It's like.. okay, you like American Football, but you don't like Madden... so maybe try NFL 2K or whatever (back in the days when 2K sports was a thing).

Don't like Monster Hunter because of the combat or the speed or whatever? Try another one. PSO is too MMO like for you? Try another one.

But yeah, you're right, if you don't like the genre, then you should probably stick to demos at least. :)

I thought that post was pretty straight forward, using other people's classification systems.

I'M CRAZY!!!!

I hate OoT. That game is the deBul

A bit off topic, but I'm inclined to disagree with you 1230%.
In Frost's world, Ocarina of Time is the best Zelda game ever made. Period.
And most of the 3D entries end up ranked above most of the 2D games as well. :p
At least you own your CRAZY. I like that. I try to do the same. :)

I think knowing what you didn't like about each specifically and what you did like about each could at least give others an idea as to what you might be into.

I would assume if you didn't like SS, MH, or PSO, it would be difficult to find anything in the genre that you're into.

edit: Psssshhhh. LttP all the way

/raises nose in air

Depends on what you don't like about each of those as to why you would stop trying.
It's like.. okay, you like American Football, but you don't like Madden... so maybe try NFL 2K or whatever (back in the days when 2K sports was a thing).

Don't like Monster Hunter because of the combat or the speed or whatever? Try another one. PSO is too MMO like for you? Try another one.

But yeah, you're right, if you don't like the genre, then you should probably stick to demos at least. :)

I can't seem to say it's one thing that I dislike but I've never played any game in this genre that really clicked. I will play for a bit and then get tired of them very quickly. Normally I would buy SS as it looks great, seems to have a good lvl system and the lore seems great also, but it still boils down to the same basic concept to me. I can almost guarantee that after about a week I would stop playing it. It is great to see so many people really enjoy it.

I think knowing what you didn't like about each specifically and what you did like about each could at least give others an idea as to what you might be into.

I would assume if you didn't like SS, MH, or PSO, it would be difficult to find anything in the genre that you're into.

edit: Psssshhhh. LttP all the way

/raises nose in air

See, you think like I do (said similar stuff about his taste in the genre) but have radically different tastes in Zelda. :p

(LttP, btw, is not even my top 2D Zelda.)

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
So, I bought, downloaded, and played through the tutorials and first stage of Prinny: Can I Really Be The Hero?!, and, well...

It's awesome.

It looks amazing on the Vita screen, almost like it was developed natively for it, even the text is crisp and easy to read. I'm playing with Bilinear filtering on, but even with it off, the different in sharpness isn't too bad (unlike some other games, where the filtering does more harm than good).

I'm playing through it on standard difficulty, and it's really fun. I've only spent a total of, perhaps, 20 minutes on a Disgaea game, so I'm rather ignorant of it's tropes and features for the most part, but I love the Prinny's, and I can see why they have their own game. Lol.

I also have Disgaea 3 sitting on my Vita (thanks, PS+!), and I'm just waiting for my gaming schedule to clear up (still playing through Persona 4 Golden), before I dive into that one. For the time being, I'll play Prinny in between P4G, but I'm loving it so far.

I'm not sure if I want anything from this week's update, but that BRS does sound intriguing. I'm always up for an action/RPG. If BRS is as fun or better than The 3rd Birthday, I may use my $20 credit and pick it up. Too much to play, dammit!!

ReaperXL7

We dont have any kind of confirmation of the Vita version of PSO2 coming to the US right? I would love for it to happen, but I dont want to get my hopes up.

zulux21

So, I bought, downloaded, and played through the tutorials and first stage of Prinny: Can I Really Be The Hero?!, and, well...

It's awesome.

It looks amazing on the Vita screen, almost like it was developed natively for it, even the text is crisp and easy to read. I'm playing with Bilinear filtering on, but even with it off, the different in sharpness isn't too bad (unlike some other games, where the filtering does more harm than good).

I'm playing through it on standard difficulty, and it's really fun. I've only spent a total of, perhaps, 20 minutes on a Disgaea game, so I'm rather ignorant of it's tropes and features for the most part, but I love the Prinny's, and I can see why they have their own game. Lol.

I also have Disgaea 3 sitting on my Vita (thanks, PS+!), and I'm just waiting for my gaming schedule to clear up (still playing through Persona 4 Golden), before I dive into that one. For the time being, I'll play Prinny in between P4G, but I'm loving it so far.

I'm not sure if I want anything from this week's update, but that BRS does sound intriguing. I'm always up for an action/RPG. If BRS is as fun or better than The 3rd Birthday, I may use my $20 credit and pick it up. Too much to play, dammit!!

just a heads up... prinny keeps getting harder and harder and harder as you play through it :p
the levels you haven't played get harder with each level you complete, thus makes multiple playthrough interesting. some of the end levels are really hard, and I don't think I ever beat the last boss :/

if i recall right there is a bunch of hidden stuff to find as well, but i might be confusing that with the sequel

I have a bad feeling that Guilty Gear isn't actually going to go up today at all.

I really can't see that happening there has been a ton of news stories covering the release for today including a playstation blog post yesterday saying it was coming today.

Shoyz

Is the first game the one where there's a collectible in town every time you complete a stage? Glad the jump-haters didn't put you off!

Neptunia PP Screen:
o9c1CrA.jpg

Black Rock Shooter is out today (US) and tomorrow (EU).

I was sent a review code for it and it isn't half bad, shame I have no clue about the series it originates from.

From what I understand, Black Rock Shooter the game is independant of Black Rock Shooter the anime (which, in turn, was independent of the OVAs).

DigitalOp

Banned
And yeah, you can partially abuse the golems, if done right... but archfiends have ways to get around it.

I think the biggest thing people AREN'T realizing about Soul Sacrifice is....

Despite the Cerebus being pretty damn tough...

Its only a 7-8 star boss out of a 20 scale.

This game WILL BE HARD.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Why does the description say Network Battle Mode, and the features only list ad-hoc?

Does NBM mean something else?

EDIT: And a screenshot shows what looks like Online Play.
WTH? :)

Ohnonono

What the heck is Black Rock Shooter? I have watched some vids and I cannot for the life of me figure out what kind of game it is.

Nah there was before noon once or twice.

Yeah, I partially recall those, but I was thinking probably in 2013, at least in recent memory.

2 thoughts on the update:
(1) Wondering if we'll see the Soul Sacrifice pre-order page (doubtful)...
(2) And I think it's stupid that you can't get the RE discount on the HD Chronicle bundle and have to buy them separately.

Why does the description say Network Battle Mode, and the features only list ad-hoc?

The online play is the ad-hoc interface, I think.

Shoyz

I think the biggest thing people AREN'T realizing about Soul Sacrifice is....

Despite the Cerebus being pretty damn tough...

Its only a 7-8 star boss out of a 20 scale.

This game WILL BE HARD.

I dunno. Full-game will have access to a plethora of stronger spells, not to mention the ability to upgrade their power. A lot, apparently, since the JPN demo limited your demo carry-over to 10 of each rank of spell, which would be..
(10) 0* = (5) 1* = (2) 2* (1) 1* = (1) 3* (1) 1*
(10) 1* = (5) 2* = (2) 3* (1) 2* = (1) 4* (1) 2*
(10) 2* = (5) 3* = (2) 4* (1) 3* = (1) 5* (1) 3*
(10) 3* = (5) 4* = (2) 5* (1) 3* = (1) 6* (1) 4*

If I didn't mess that up. By combining the 4*s and running it down to the 6*, you can -instantly- make a 7* spell in the full game. And that's with their self-imposed limit.

kassatsu

Banned
I think the Thomas DLC is a little overpriced for what it offers. Just 20 stages and no trophies. You can probably beat it in like an hour at most. The story told is a prequel to the game if you are wondering.

VanWinkle

I think the Thomas DLC is a little overpriced for what it offers. Just 20 stages and no trophies. You can probably beat it in like an hour at most. The story told is a prequel to the game if you are wondering.

Ah. Well, I suppose if I like the main game enough I'll get it but I see what you are saying there.

I dunno. Full-game will have access to a plethora of stronger spells, not to mention the ability to upgrade their power. A lot, apparently, since the JPN demo limited your demo carry-over to 10 of each rank of spell, which would be..

If I didn't mess that up. By combining the 4*s and running it down to the 6*, you can -instantly- make a 7* spell in the full game. And that's with their self-imposed limit.

The time it would take to farm the materials for that would be outrageous. I play pretty regularly and I have enough to start making a few (1) 4* spells, but nowhere near that amount across the board. My current goal is to get a Cerberus SE+... pain in the ass... it's the 1 thing I need for the 1 sigil I'm missing.

My other current goal is just to level up whatever spells I can, but I'm not getting consistent drops on things I want, like stone axe, and I haven't figured out what's up with not being able to craft, say, a fire based missile projectile.

I just bought the game and finished downloading it, it's just adhoc.

I knew that it would be adhoc, so i'm not personally upset, but it is really, really misleading the way that the game's store page is written.

Shoyz

The time it would take to farm the materials for that would be outrageous. I play pretty regularly and I have enough to start making a few (1) 4* spells, but nowhere near that amount across the board. My current goal is to get a Cerberus SE+... pain in the ass... it's the 1 thing I need for the 1 sigil I'm missing.

Er, my point was that they purposely imposed a limit of 10 per spell rank, to stop you from starting the game off with too powerful of spells. While, at the same time, the limit they imposed means starting off with a -7 star- spell. Hence I'm not really convinced that the star scaling implies the game will be any harder than the demo.

Onemic

A bit off topic, but I'm inclined to disagree with you 1230%.
In Frost's world, Ocarina of Time is the best Zelda game ever made. Period.
And most of the 3D entries end up ranked above most of the 2D games as well. :p
At least you own your CRAZY. I like that. I try to do the same. :)

If we're looking in hindsight, I'd rank OoT lower than the Wind Waker by a whole lot. There's just so much more you can do in that game in terms of exploration, the art style is more in line with the zelda series, and the dungeons are better designed. If you're not taking time into consideration I'd say the Wind Waker is the best 3D Zelda game by far.

That being said, since OoT is the first 3D Zelda, and it essentially paved the way for games like Wind Waker to even be made, it automatically has to be placed highest on the 3D Zelda list, even though it isn't the best 3D zelda game overall.

Jamix012

If we're looking in hindsight, I'd rank OoT lower than the Wind Waker by a whole lot. There's just so much more you can do in that game in terms of exploration, the art style is more in line with the zelda series, and the dungeons are better designed. If you're not taking time into consideration I'd say the Wind Waker is the best 3D Zelda game by far.

That being said, since OoT is the first 3D Zelda, and it essentially paved the way for games like Wind Waker to even be made, it automatically has to be placed highest on the 3D Zelda list, even though it isn't the best 3D zelda game overall.

Majora's Mask>Wind Waker>Skyward Sword>OoT
In my opinion. And they're all amongst my favourite games of all time. Also the best 2D zelda is Minish Cap imo.

anddo0

that can't be right?
I thought they were required?

Onemic

Majora's Mask>Wind Waker>Skyward Sword>OoT
In my opinion. And they're all amongst my favourite games of all time. Also the best 2D zelda is Minish Cap imo.

I still have to play Majora's mask. Nintendo better release a 3D remake on the 3DS!

And woot! GGAC+R is available NAOW.

According to the description, it's supposed to have online. We'll see if this turns out to be true

branny

I HAVE TO GET THIS POST OUT OF MY SYSTEM. I AM SO SORRY.

At least (IMO, of course) the game has attack variety unlike some other games it's compared to. ;)
And yeah, you can partially abuse the golems, if done right... but archfiends have ways to get around it. I was just playing and yeah, we leveraged golems to beat Cerberus, but it wasn't so easy as "put a golem in the center, then run around the edge and spam missles until you're out and the boss is dead". Hell, I checked Cerberus's health and the last teammate I had was down... it was red, so I said "hope this does it" and sacrificed him as requested. It did not kill the boss. I then had to evade and strategically attack and refill my spells where possible with the boss's entire focus on me. At one point I was dodging trying to get once of the Orcs in the way of the charge so it would die and I could sacrifice it for more spells because I was out. From where I'm sitting, longevity should be fine.
I think I'm just disappointed that the game didn't end up being more. To me, the current way spells are implemented is a flimsy foundation for an entire combat system.

This is a post that's going to take a while to write. It's not going to be directed at you or anyone in particular; it's going to be another long tl;dr rant about me and what I would've liked to see instead.

Some people don't like the unlimited stamina for running and rolling, but whatever. If the enemies are designed to be super fast, violent creatures where unlimited stamina is necessary, that's totally fine. I just don't like how sprinting is tied to X (because you can't run and adjust the camera at the same time with the right analog stick). What angers me most is how you must enter spell mode to cast many things and must exit before using another spell. Phantom Dust didn't do this. Neither did Folklore. Dragon's Dogma, since Dark Arisen just came out, uses a similar face-button/set-switching setup and only locks you into attacks when it make sense to. The spells in SS do not have so much functionality that you must dedicate yourself entirely to them. Many simply revolve around pressing one button or holding it. There's more that bothers me about SS, but this alone shows a flawed understanding of strong core combat on the developers' parts.

I have no interest in turning SS into something it's not, so no "let's add skill trees!" or "make it more like Monster Hunter!" from me. Instead, I'd like to propose one of many possible "solutions", one I think would be more suited for SS's structure to address some of my complaints. Imagine SS with something like ~12 sorcerer types instead. Let's go with fire, ice, electricity, stone, poison, water, steel, darkness, light, time, summoner, and shifter, and each of those would have access to "cursed" HP-draining or otherwise risky abilities which would be universally equippable.

Fire sorcs could have their own unique seals, melee attack strings, appropriate kinds of shields, various long-range mortars/fireballs, flame skin/fire-related sacrifices, whatever, while water sorcs could have totally different melee and long-ranged capabilities, maybe with a focus on healing or alternate defensive abilities to differentiate them from the more offensively-focused ice sorcs one on end of the spectrum and overly supportive light sorcs on the other. Limiting certain kinds of skills/offerings to certain character classes would ground players in a good way--they'd be more involved in understanding their own class's strengths and weaknesses (which would create unique approaches for tackling each monster and, as a result, more replayability with alternate classes) while still maintaining a suitable degree of free-form individuality (i.e. two electricity sorcerers could have their own totally unique spell setups with certain goals in mind). If you've played Birth by Sleep, imagine all the character augments and equippable abilities applied to Soul Sacrifice. There could be different types of rolls for each sorc class (damaging dashes, AoE-effect rolls), different kinds of movement spells, defensive spells, utility spells, and, obviously, attack spells. Much of this idea already exists in SS right now--it would just need to be adapted slightly and fleshed out a little more. This character modification and loadout stuff is all auxiliary, though. I think the entirety of the spell system in Soul Sacrifice right now feels like support to something that doesn't exist. It needs more, and as I've said before, I think we could get "more" from a strong melee foundation.

I believe if the first set of spells were "Melee" 1, "Melee" 2, and Defend, while the second set were ranged, utility, and whatever other kinds of powerful spells players wanted to equip, I would find the game more engaging. "Melee" 1 and 2 would be any sort of attacks. Short-ranged attacks. Mid-range. Long-range. One could be close-ranged, the other could be long-ranged. Whatever. And doing 121, 112, 1221, or 1+2, etc. would elicit different combos/attacks unique to that class. For example, a darkness sorcerer would generally have long-ranged melee, shooting quasi-homing blades of death with various sorts of combos that had different arcing/range/elemental/status properties (and maybe one or two point-blank attacks), while a stone sorcerer's melee would skew more toward heavier-hitting, closer-ranged attacks. They'd each have different base attack strengths to balance out their utility/risk, but none of these would cost anything, and they would intrinsically consist of more than just one canned, mashy combo. Maybe some classes could power up each attack by holding down a button. Maybe others would have to be more careful with aiming or timing. Defend could be a projectile deflect, a shield (weak 360 degree shelter around you, strong directional frontal shield, etc.), a just-defend absorb, a counter, a parry--anything depending on the class--and could be accessed at any moment unless you were busy casting a spell you had equipped on the other set.

I feel like this would solve several things:

(1) You could have drastically different builds and playstyles beyond the active spells you have equipped, particularly if you could augment the effectiveness of melee, ranged, elemental, healing, etc., individually, beyond the only things in the game like this now (seals and holy/chaotic soul levels).

(2) Shield spells would be more useful. Instead of exiting out of everything you do and waiting around to be attacked, you could pull up your preferred defensive option at any moment provided you weren't using an active spell.

(3) Active spells wouldn't need to be overhauled with this system since they'd no longer comprise the foundation of your attacks. They could remain just as simple (and varied!) as they are in the game right now, though I think the offensive ones would need to be buffed a little bit to offset the melee you may choose to spam more often.

(4) A basic melee foundation would mitigate the pointless running around or waiting to sacrifice/refill spells and would offer an alternative to the spell/roll spamming that currently exists. Imagine if there were a set of spells to buff or enchant your melee attacks with certain properties (taking up some of your, now three, hypothetical spell slots). You'd have to think about the tradeoffs, but you could now specialize in melee-only rather than being a jack of all trades (which the game kind of encourages right now). And, since melee would include attacks of all sorts of ranges, you wouldn't feel as much pressure to include certain active attack spells. This could also totally remove the need to recharge strong offerings with the environment/enemies that drag down the pace of the game and take the focus off boss rushing. You would have to play smarter, instead, which I think would feel more rewarding, right?

(5) A stronger focus on melee would provide a deeper combat experience to those who prefer fighting at any range in general. Instead of feeling like you're just pressing one button and launching some attack over and over, players could feel more involved with simple combos. Ragnarok Odyssey has been mentioned, so I will use it as an example. It sort of mitigated a bit of mindlessness with combo enders that had unique properties (launching, AoE, stun, etc.). The risk of doing a whole combo that ends in a suitably rewarding attack sounds reasonable for Soul Sacrifice, though offensive spells and quick one-off attacks mixed with lots of rolling would otherwise remain a player's bread and butter. It wouldn't change the core of SS as it is right now, but it would offer more depth for those who wish to plumb it. Options are good for everyone.

(6) This new melee system would incorporate the elemental/status system that already exists within the game. Proper element matching would give damage bonuses (poor element matching would simply not give bonus damage), and certain melee attacks/spells could inflict status effects depending on your class. This would prevent the current cross-element status effect abuse since you'd need multiple people to trigger a combo, encouraging teamwork and stronger party dynamics. The more exotic classes I proposed (like time, steel, darkness) would have their own set of perks since they would not be able to take advantage of elemental matching.

(7) Players could take pride in their favorite classes. Yep, pride. This sounds stupid, but do not underestimate the satisfaction someone gets from feeling like he or she is accomplishing something. When you're doing a great job at your chosen role(s), you will want to do it more. You will want to show off what makes you a valuable player, especially if online play is a thing. I've already seen this element taking place with people posting about the demo when it comes to sacrificing/saving. What better way to expand that idea than also letting people type-cast others (and maybe fuel a few rivalries) as is the case with many successful MMORPGs and fighting games?

I think this is how I would fix what bothers me. You would still have what makes Soul Sacrifice unique (sacrificing/saving, spell loot, "super magic battle action"), but you would also have more dynamic, thoughtful combat to keep the game from growing stale (fighting would be more diverse than casting an simple array of disposable, one-dimensional spells) and enough restrictions to address current problems (golems would only be available to one comparatively weak class, status effect combos would require more than one person to pull off, and stronger, exploitable spells would be more limited with the removal of recharge points and discouraged with better melee and character build viability). Yeah.

Hey guys. I'm terribly torn on what to play but I CAN'T WAIT FOR DRAGON'S CROWN!!!

August 6th.

I'm going to send you a PM so as not to derail the thread, just cause I feel the need to respond. ;)

jwk94

Hey guys. I'm terribly torn on what to play but I CAN'T WAIT FOR DRAGON'S CROWN!!!
with the release date that far out just forget the name exists. Instead focus on Thomas was alone, hotline Miami, velocity altra, and soul sacrifice. Oh and there's alsoI Muramasa coming this June.

ReaperXL7

so what can we look forward to next after SS.. velocity ultra?

depending on what your interested we have hotline miami, velocity ultra, luftrausers, Muramasa, The Jak collection, maybe some other titles. I think terraria is summer but no date yet, Lone Survivor is in july (personally excited for this one). Then after summer we have killzone, tareaway, batman....I think someone posted a list of known games for now.

I feel kind of bad for those not interested in indies, but there is actually quite abit coming that im looking forward to.

Top Bottom