• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | July 2013 | Slow Month, Fast Games

shink

I was about to say that I ordered the US version off Play-Asia and wondered why you weren't, then I checked to see that they're now sold out. Anyway, the menus are very straight forward (basically just pictures with a star-rating for the difficulty). You would only run into trouble with the tutorial and description of modifiers that you can apply to songs.

Yeah I saw that it was out of stock =/ and the Best Hits version is only ~37 AUD but that's coming out in Sept. Thanks for the info.

How much was the US version? I see someone selling the US version on Ebay for $60 which I might just grab instead.

Is it better to let PS+ auto renew or is it better to just extend the membership by purchasing?

If i purchase 3 month subscription and auto renewal is set to on, will i get charged 18 dollar for the next 3 months, if i have at least the required amount in wallet?

I've noticed lately my vita is really slow to install and delete games. Has anyone had the same thing? I was thinking about wiping it and reinstalling everything.

Is it better to let PS+ auto renew or is it better to just extend the membership by purchasing?

If i purchase 3 month subscription and auto renewal is set to on, will i get charged 18 dollar for the next 3 months, if i have at least the required amount in wallet?

It's better to buy code somewhere since they are typically cheaper than standard price on PSN - only buy on PSN when Sony has sale on PSN+ subs

Aytrial

Yeah I saw that it was out of stock =/ and the Best Hits version is only ~37 AUD but that's coming out in Sept. Thanks for the info.

How much was the US version? I see someone selling the US version on Ebay for $60 which I might just grab instead.

It was ~$50 AUD at the time including shipping.

I've got the Korean version of DJ Max and it straight up asks you on first boot if you want English or Korean.

Interesting. Still in stock as well, and the price is slightly cheaper than the eBay option you were considering.

shink

I've got the Korean version of DJ Max and it straight up asks you on first boot if you want English or Korean.

Oooh that sounds good too.

Thanks guys! I think I'll get the Korean version, I trust PlayAsia more than Ebay sellers anyway.

Moobabe

Can't blame anyone in that thread really, it's very disappointing news that we'll be stuck with only 5GB for the next 7 or 8 years (this will hold down PC games as well because consoles are lead platform) and Sony were misleading everyone, Sony made a questionable decisions on Vita as well ( the GPU/Wi-fi huge bottleneck that just Add Water developer mentioned).

You can't blame them? How much RAM did they assume the OS was going to take? Or, in fact, how much do the majority in that thread even KNOW about RAM or OS? I'd wager very little - but that's also a huge assumption that the OS footprint won't change.

When Sony announced 8gb RAM did they all really think that would be 8gb dedicated towards games? That doesn't even make sense - no sympathy for people who set themselves up like that.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=73006491&postcount=2061

Interesting

It's better to buy code somewhere since they are typically cheaper than standard price on PSN - only buy on PSN when Sony has sale on PSN+ subs
Well i am talking about 3 months here and i doubt if they are cheaper elsewhere. My subscription will expire tomorrow. I have only got bucks for 3 months for now.

I think my vita screen has some minor scratches in it, shit.

My Vita's front screen has some really faint micro-scratches (as in I have to shine a bright light at a very specific angle) on the bottom right-hand side from my thumb's nail. Those scratch notes from Project Diva can get intense and cause literal scratches!

...I'll take my leave.

I had a faint but annoying little scratch on my screen and I solved the issue by putting a screen protector on. The scratch is invisible now and the screen looks brand new.

I used the hori licensed screen protector and it's worth it. You can't tell there's one on there. I will say make sure you take time to remove any bits of dust or fibers before placing the screen protector on. Maybe don't use the 'cloth' provided.

cyborg009

Banned
Hot shots tennis was amazing It would been killer if it had online.

QUOTE=Totobeni;73180386]Can't blame anyone in that thread really, it's very disappointing news that we'll be stuck with only 5GB for the next 7 or 8 years (this will hold down PC games as well because consoles are lead platform) and Sony were misleading everyone, Sony made a questionable decisions on Vita as well ( the GPU/Wi-fi huge bottleneck that just Add Water developer mentioned).[/QUOTE]

Got a link on that?

Aytrial

I had a faint but annoying little scratch on my screen and I solved the issue by putting a screen protector on. The scratch is invisible now and the screen looks brand new.

I'm pretty familiar with the trick of using a screen protector to hide scratches, but I just don't like the feel of them. Sure, I am paying by actually wearing down the screen itself, but as I said, the micro-scratches are only visible under a really bright light (my desk lamp) at a certain angle.

Well, the best way is to wait for a sale (tends to happen a few times each year) and buy a years subscription then, though obviously that's not feasible for everyone.
Thanks. I am new to PS+(Got it in May) and i never saw any sale during this period. But i will keep an eye out for any such deals now.

Skyzard

Banned

Interesting read! Toto, how is giving developers the option to boost the GPU by disabling wifi an odd decision? Not all games and especially portable games, will need it :S It would be a lazy effort if they didn't offer that. If devs/publishers were going to make a decision that affects the value/content of the game (mp modes) they wouldn't do it based on some graphical boost in sp, they'd do it for the cost efficiency/interest in it. Although they didn't mention that it was a 1000% boost and I assume it's not at all.

I wouldn't worry about the RAM at all, in fact I was kinda worried it would just lead to lazy ports. The CPU and GPU weren't pushed up like the ram was so we wouldn't have really benefited from seeing too many new things, it was just overkill - it's already GDDR5. I am optimistic about what it means for the OS though!

Hey guys,

I think that I want a vita to largely pick up and play here and there. I want a sports game, and an action or RPG game that I can play over time. I'm looking at Dragons Crown, Muarasama and Fifa 12 and Virtua Tennis. Any other recommendations?

Despite its amazing quality, I don't think that i'll get through Persona on a here and there basis.

Now, where can I get a cheap Vita?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
after 16 years, i'm finally getting around to play Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

thanks Vita!

Hey guys,

I think that I want a vita to largely pick up and play here and there. I want a sports game, and an action or RPG game that I can play over time. I'm looking at Dragons Crown, Muarasama and Fifa 12 and Virtua Tennis. Any other recommendations?

Despite its amazing quality, I don't think that i'll get through Persona on a here and there basis.

i like using my Vita as a pick up n play device. If you're getting Dragon's Crown, I'd probably skip Muramasa. It's a great looking game, but it's a little boring. I'd maybe replace it with Hot Shots Golf.

As for RPGs, Persona is pretty solid but it's daunting. Maybe play a PSX classic like Final Fantasy IX?

Mario007

Hey guys,

Thanks to Vita being very pick up and play you can literally get through 5 minutes of Personna a day if that's what suits you.

Also buy Fifa Soccer, should be cheaper and the new one is just a roster upgrade.

Kylejc86

Quick question about LittleBigPlanet:

Is the Network Pass worth it? Got the game used and the included code has already been used. Don't know if I should spend the additional 10€.
Hi murgo I PM'd you a UK little big planet vita online pass but not sure if it will work but you can try anyway as I'm not going to need it :)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Interesting read! Toto, how is giving developers the option to boost the GPU by disabling wifi an odd decision? Not all games and especially portable games, will need it :S It would be a lazy effort if they didn't offer that. If devs/publishers were going to make a decision that affects the value/content of the game (mp modes) they wouldn't do it based on some graphical boost in sp, they'd do it for the cost efficiency/interest in it. Although they didn't mention that it was a 1000% boost and I assume it's not at all.

I wouldn't worry about the RAM at all, in fact I was kinda worried it would just lead to lazy ports. The CPU and GPU weren't pushed up like the ram was so we wouldn't have really benefited from seeing too many new things, it was just overkill - it's already GDDR5. I am optimistic about what it means for the OS though!

The big problem for Vita is every game uses online will have to get "cuts" in a way or another that the bottleneck here, KZM for an example while looking absolutely amazing is still under this limitations now imagine what if Vita is able to have full GPU power with wifi on(and I think this is why NFSMW first screens looked better than the final version), it's just another weird decision from Sony that "limit" their system potential... with Vita GPU wifi thingy and PS4 RAM news it's like Kutaragi never left :p

How cheap do they get then? 1 year is 43€ on eBay here in Germany.
IIRC they tend to be either 15 months for the price of 12, or a 25% discount.

Thanks. I am new to PS+(Got it in May) and i never saw any sale during this period. But i will keep an eye out for any such deals now.
It looks I bought my current subscription September last year, though I think there was another sale around Christmas. (I have a Euro account, it may be different in the US.)

crinale

The big problem for Vita is every game uses online will have to get "cuts" in a way or another that the bottleneck here, KZM for an example while looking absolutely amazing is still under this limitations now imagine what if Vita is able to have full GPU power with wifi on(and I think this is why NFSMW first screens looked better than the final version), it's just another weird decision from Sony that "limit" their system potential... with Vita GPU wifi thingy and PS4 RAM news it's like Kutaragi never left :p

You can't reverse the law of physics, though. If they can use GPU full speed AND wifi at the same time without killing your battery then they surely would let you.
(There were some rumor that if you do everything in full-force then battery doesn't even last for 1 hour). So, the clock speed of GPU currently is not hindered, but at its maximum if you consider the battery life. The margin of higher clock speed is optional.

The question is, then, why did Sony implement the GPU with higher clock speed capability, even though they knew the current industry's standard battery can't support it? I think they did it for future die-size shrinks, or battery technology improvement. They are "reserving" the margin of GPU clocks to benefit from the industry standard's improvement.

ReaperXL7

So what are we playing today Vitabros?

Im playing Stealth Inc currently, but im probably going to switch over to Machinarium for abit as I need to get around to finishing that. Stealth has been pretty hard to stop playing though. I cant imagine how im going to get anything done once games like Terraria, Spelunky, and Rainbow moon hit.

Been considering buying Dokuro, but im still not sure I want to buy it.

Skyzard

Banned

It's all about balance though, our CPU is gimped because the battery would be rinsed and maybe the device overheat. Having the option to turn it off and on to your liking gives you more flexibility over the limitations, it doesn't introduce more...

They never even complained about it:

We also had some excellent on-site help from Sony. We had one of their best guys for a day and they gave us plenty of advice and optimisation tips. Admittedly one of the biggest improvements that day came from making use of the alternative power mode on the Vita which allows you to increase the GPU clock speed while disabling the WiFi during gameplay. But, of course, this just emphasises the great importance of reading manuals.

Why would you not give them the opportunity to max a game. Would you rather they shipped Vitas with no online mode? That's the alternative I'm seeing...as opposed to obviously better parts. But it's not like the biggest thing holding the Vita back is the lack of power.

Pretty sure Killzone will have online.

Thanks and its pretty funny that VLR turns off Wifi too.

I wonder if a developer can make them increase clock speed like when R@D did with PSP.

You can't go past the speed the CPU can run at (with the exception being overclocking CPUs/gpus on a PC, where you can control the cooling situation). In the case of the psp, it was originally limited to 222mhz (possibly to conserve battery life) but the machine was always capable of 333mhz. Sony allowed for the use of the full CPU later, when the newer models had better battery life. But, if you had custom firmware before then, you could make games run @ 333mhz. It was kinda awesome, really.

Holy deary, i just checked my PSN, i got some adds from Gaf here but for some reason when i tried to accept the adds, they all disappeared, i duno wassup with PSN, i think i got two people so far, please feel free to re-add me just incase.
PSN: tosyn_88

Been considering buying Dokuro, but im still not sure I want to buy it.

I didn't finish it yet, and it's not nearly in the same league as the top-shelf Steam indies we've been getting this last year, but it's a fun puzzle platformer. What I like about it, is that it has a kind of Ghosts N Goblins feel to the music and presentation. The chalk, character artstyle and sound is very nice... but the game is almost entirely horizontal in room progression and feels very unambitious and amateurish because of it. If the background and stage art had as much care put into it as the characters, I would consider it a better package, but as it stands it's very plain and monotonous.

Still, I bought a physical JPN copy of the game to replace my digital download, as an indulgance, since it has English language options... however, it's got Mega Man Gamecube reversi syndrome, because cross is cancel and circle is confirm.

The PS+ sale price awhile back would have been an ideal time to try, but I wouldn't recommend it at the normal going rate if you've got a backlog of games to play.

Nibiru

Banned
Picked up Hotline Miami a few days again and it plays great on the Vita. The controls are much tighter and less floaty than on the PS3 version.

murgo

Hi murgo I PM'd you a UK little big planet vita online pass but not sure if it will work but you can try anyway as I'm not going to need it :)

So much awesomeness <3 Will put it to good use! Thanks again!

Currently playing Persona 4. I should get some learning done for my upcoming exams, but solving weird murders is quite a bit more fun ;)

Minor rant:

It's been like this since launch, but I really hate how the Vita compresses images when they're used as wallpapers. They look fabulous in the Photos App, but horrendous elsewhere. I've heard that this was some sort of measure to prevent a method that allowed the PSP to be hacked, but you think they would at least set a more reasonable file size limit before images were compressed to the equivalent of 50kb jpegs.
At one point the PSP was hackable through a .tiff file. This was back when the PSP was on like firmware 2.6 though, sooo I think Sony has long since blocked that.

Holmes

So what are we playing today Vitabros?
Muramasa. I just defeated Momohime's third boss on fury. His unblockable attacks were a pain but I figured out that they only trigger after doing two consecutive 4 hit combos, and you can simply jump behind him to avoid it and combo some more. Then when his sword breaks, you can get him in the air and do three aerial combos.

For those who don't think they can even handle fury mode, just give it a try. It seems more intimidating than it really is. I'm actually having more fun on fury mode than legend mode, to be honest. I thought I would never be able to do it, and it does suck having to die 20 times to learn a boss's pattern, but whatever? I usually spend 15 minutes between bosses anyway, so my whole fury experience so far is just hopping from boss to boss, learning their pattern, then kicking their butt. It's good fun. Much better than spamming the attack button on legend and changing swords whenever it breaks.

Lemstar

Does anyone know how long will this P4G sale go on in the US store. I'm getting my paycheck in 1 week and i really dont wanna miss the sale...
The store updates on Tuesday, although I don't think it's been announced whether the sale is only one week or not. To be safe, I'd suggest getting it early, if possible.

Top Bottom