• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | July 2013 | Slow Month, Fast Games

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Contest is essential in a review score, when a game releases novelty and competition offerings sure count. After many year the game is no more "new" and usually there are even more competitor games with better graphics and newer ideas.
Long story short i think that a port of an old game without big improvements deserves a lower score and a cheaper price.

Moobabe

Contest is essential in a review score, when a game releases novelty and concurrency offers sure count. After many year the game is no more "new" and usually there are even more concurrent games with better graphics and newer ideas.
Long story short i think that a port of an old game without big improvements deserves a lower score and a cheaper price.

I agree that context is important - I'm playing devil's advocate a bit here (which should be obvious) - but do you re-review it then? If PJM was, for argument's sake, an 8/10 when it released, is the quality of the game diminished now?

I suppose my question is: Is Pixeljunk Monsters a worse game, than when it was released? My answer would be no.

But is Pixeljunk Monsters a better game with this release? Depends on how you value the additions vs the time it's been available. I'm not sure it's worth £6 more.

Mokubba

The Box Art for God Eater 2 in Japan looks GREAT!
F7LhY8I.jpg

http://youtu.be/uk2AQJs7w9Q
Gameplay also looks pretty good along with the graphics. It seems like VITA footage to me.

Love the boxart. Day 1 when it gets localized.

Ono acknowledges demand for Vita port of Ultra SF4:

https://twitter.com/Yoshi_OnoChin/status/357312815331147776

Yes yes,

They need to complete the Capcom Fighting game trinity for the Vita to be perfect.

prwxv3

God Eater 2 should do very well on vita after the amazing sales of toukiden. I am surprised the vita version outsold the PSP version. It seems there is a nice audience for these games now in Japan.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I agree that context is important - I'm playing devil's advocate a bit here (which should be obvious) - but do you re-review it then? If PJM was, for argument's sake, an 8/10 when it released, is the quality of the game diminished now?

I suppose my question is: Is Pixeljunk Monsters a worse game, than when it was released? My answer would be no.

But is Pixeljunk Monsters a better game with this release? Depends on how you value the additions vs the time it's been available. I'm not sure it's worth £6 more.

Do you honestly think that pjm releasing today for the first time(not years ago) would gain the same scores that it got several years ago?
It's probably still a good game, just not a 8/10 game anymore, not a 15$ game for sure.
At the time of its original release it was a good new game, now it's the same good but old game.

Moobabe

Do you honestly think that pjm releasing today for the first time(not years ago) would gain the same scores that it got several years ago?
It's probably still a good game, just not a 8/10 game anymore, not a 15$ game for sure.
At the time of its original release it was a good new game, now it's the same good but old game.

As I've said: I'm playing devil's advocate, trying to explore the other side of the argument. I wish it was cheaper - though I'm still going to buy it - and I feel a bit like they've got me by the short hairs because I loved the first.

Shinriji

Well, with a PS+ 20% off, $11,99 is right on point for me. Online coop was a serious omission of the original, and I'm willing to pay a plus for online and the extra stages (never played the PSP version.

btkadams

pjm is just an 8/10 game? it's one of the games of the generation for my friends and i. i don't know anyone who doesn't look at the game like that. one friend bought a psp just to play pixeljunk monsters on the go!

Moobabe

pjm is just an 8/10 game? it's one of the games of the generation for my friends and i. i don't know anyone who doesn't look at the game like that. one friend bought a psp just to play pixeljunk monsters on the go!

I was using a number as an example - it's my first and most loved PSN game, though I understand it's not for everyone.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I think I'm losing my sanity to Steam cards.
How I wish Sony implemented something similar

Blah last thing I want is Cards/Badges.

Would much rather see them ape Club Nintendo but with trophies as the currency used to buy stuff.

It'd also mean they'd actually have to take trophy fraud shenanigans seriously too.

wilflare

Blah last thing I want is Cards/Badges.

Would much rather see them ape Club Nintendo but with trophies as the currency used to buy stuff.

It'd also mean they'd actually have to take trophy fraud shenanigans seriously too.

Sony isn't doing anything about the fake trophies? I would expect them to cancel the event and re-run it after they fix the CFW-issue or something.

but Club Nintendo is nice too

Mrcapcom

God Eater 2 looks awesome I hope its online multiplayer I really want to buy Monster Hunter on my 3DS but the lack of online kinda sucks. I got the OG God Eater for PSP on my Vita heck I had it on my old psp before I sold it and I liked it even though I didnt get in depth time to catch up on Vita now

zulux21

meh, hands down the first thing sony needs to implement from steam would be the ability to buy and gift games to people.

hopefully the ps4 will have something like that, and hopefully sony gets even more friendly with indie developers and allows someone like the humble bundle to actually make a playstation bundle.

EMT0

Banned
Oh god... no. I would be glad if they follow the Steam sales and prices instead of implementing something crappy like that. Even the "Gift" feature would be pretty good.

You're not going to be seeing Steam-style pricing on a regular basis from Sony without there being more than one ecosystem where you can buy Playstation games. If only Amazon sold Vita codes, life would be grand.

Mrcapcom

So aparently there is something called Ad Hoc Party where you can play psp games online through your PS3? Has anyone tried this?

So aparently there is something called Ad Hoc Party where you can play psp games online through your PS3? Has anyone tried this?

yup

uses the ad-hoc mode as more of an infrastructure. someone has to your party on ad-hoc party to find them.

used to play phantasy star and dissidia online this way

ReaperXL7

meh, hands down the first thing sony needs to implement from steam would be the ability to buy and gift games to people.

hopefully the ps4 will have something like that, and hopefully sony gets even more friendly with indie developers and allows someone like the humble bundle to actually make a playstation bundle.

Well take it for what it is, but Shahid did say Sony was open to the idea of humble bundles. I dont understand how they work though, are they something that Steam chooses, and then just throws into a bundle, or do they get with each studio and ask if they want to participate in the bundle?

Moobabe

Well take it for what it is, but Shahid did say Sony was open to the idea of humble bundles. I dont understand how they work though, are they something that Steam chooses, and then just throws into a bundle, or do they get with each studio and ask if they want to participate in the bundle?

I think it's per studio. AFAIK the studio generates the steam keys? If so studios could potentially add PS codes to the bundle.. I guess

Sol1dus

At the very least I'd be interested to hear WHY there's such an increase in price. Why don't journalists ever ask stuff like that? 7 years old + 'HD' (whatever that is) + Online play = +$7?

There's no piracy, so they know you can't just illegally download the game like many people did on the PSP. So you either buy it at an inflated price or you buy it at an inflated price.

Mrcapcom

yup

uses the ad-hoc mode as more of an infrastructure. someone has to your party on ad-hoc party to find them.

used to play phantasy star and dissidia online this way

It works. I played a lot of Powerstone Collection with a friend with a Vita.

Being the late comer to the Vita Bros man this is pretty awesome. Now i'll buy a couple more psp titles but I guess I gotta get some more peeps to play. I'll test it out tonight with God Eater :)

Who hasn't added me yet? My PSN is MrCapcom

zulux21

humble bundle talks with game makers about including their games in a bundle.
steam allows those game makers to create a ton of codes for their games to do what they want with them
they hand those keys over to humble bundle and those are what are sold during the bundle.

I imagine when sony said it was open to the idea of humble bundles they really just meant indie bundles and focusing on them, as while sony is making good strides towards a more flexible pricing scheme, I still have a had time believing they really can accept a pay what you want model for games instead of just bundling them together and calling it a humble bundle and charging the price of the games combined minus 50%

Sol1dus

humble bundle talks with game makers about including their games in a bundle.
steam allows those game makers to create a ton of codes for their games to do what they want with them
they hand those keys over to humble bundle and those are what are sold during the bundle.

I imagine when sony said it was open to the idea of humble bundles they really just meant indie bundles and focusing on them, as while sony is making good strides towards a more flexible pricing scheme, I still have a had time believing they really can accept a pay what you want model for games instead of just bundling them together and calling it a humble bundle and charging the price of the games combined minus 50%

Would still be pretty dope.

True. You just have to wait a longer time.

Does anybody here know how I get a book to read on P4G? I want to get a book so I can read it at the sofa I have in the game. And is that Yosuke guy
gay?

Go to the book shop in the main area of the shopping district :) it's next to the blue door

yea, absolutely

a game that old with that caliber, $4

i haven't bought guacamelee but it doesn't seem close to $15 level of quality.

There's no way it should cost more than the PSP game. Period. I'd say a Velocity Ultra price range of $7.50 would probably be fair, but it's all relative when it comes to pricing.

Now as for Guacamelee not being worth $15? That's a good one. The game OOZES quality. It's better than most $60 releases I've played recently and gives you just about as much playtime, unless you're into grinding/collecting/100% completion.

Then again, I know what you think of Monster Hunter, so I think there's very little chance we'll agree on what a game's worth. :p

Guacamelee was worth every dollar.

Nailed it.

gifting would be awesome.

Yeah, it would. Except MS had gifting MS points at one point, the system got exploited, and there was too much going wrong for them to keep it up. Sony is so far behind MS on most things regarding online presence that one day we may see it... or maybe they're being cautious after MS had all the fun with their gifting program.

Steam cards seem really pointless. It doesn't do anything for me besides giving me a reason to install and idle in games I wouldn't play otherwise.

They are. Except they're giving me free games because I can easily farm and sell them.

Eh... only useful as outlined above, IMO. I think I've made over $20 in selling them so far.

Number45

Yeah, it would. Except MS had gifting MS points at one point, the system got exploited, and there was too much going wrong for them to keep it up. Sony is so far behind MS on most things regarding online presence that one day we may see it... or maybe they're being cautious after MS had all the fun with their gifting program.
I don't see an issue with the Steam model in that respect - gift games rather than points/wallet value.

breakfuss

namco clarified yesterday's quip on their YT channel. sorta kinda. sorry, don't know how to screen cap it all:

"Read the original message. We didn't trash PS Vita . Stop imagining things and learn humor."

-----

"We didn't meant any offense to Sony / PS Vita.
This was a humor post related to the subtitle of the Adventure Time game in answer to someone asking if the game was going to be released on PS Vita
Sorry if that was misunderstood."

-----

Sriously what? The comment was pure humor related to the title and tone of the game.
There is no statement about PS Vita or whatever. Stop imagining things...because I DON'T KNOW.
Copy-pasted message, yes so what?

-----

Hey this comment was pure humor related to the title and tone of the game.
There is no statement about PS Vita or whatever. Stop imagining things...because I DON'T KNOW.

-----

Sorry if you misunderstood the humor of the comment linked to the subtitle and the tone of the game.
There was no offense to PS vita.
I hope you won't misunderstood this comment.

I don't see an issue with the Steam model in that respect - gift games rather than points/wallet value.

That might help, though not sure why Steam is better at it than MS -- I know the problem with MS stemmed from stolen credit cards used to buy 1000000s of points which were sold dirt cheap through secondary sites and forums.

But yeah, gifting games would make the secret santa much easier. ;)
Speaking of, where the heck is Toma?
I hope that dude is alright... I don't even recall seeing the SotN Let's play 2013 thread go up... :\

MarkusRJR

So frustrated. My Vita has become the new fridge situation (last one was the Wii) due to the 100 game limit. I brought over my PSP collection (I owned a Go so it was pretty large by the time I got a Vita) and now I have to delete games whenever I get a new one, despite still having 11gb still free on my memory card. It's actively making me avoid buying new games.

UGH!

baekshi

Banned
Stop imagining things and learn humor."

Sriously what? The comment was pure humor related to the title and tone of the game.
Copy-pasted message, yes so what?

-----

Hey this comment was pure humor related to the title and tone of the game.

They are so shameless.

Shoyz

So frustrated. My Vita has become the new fridge situation (last one was the Wii) due to the 100 game limit. I brought over my PSP collection (I owned a Go so it was pretty large by the time I got a Vita) and now I have to delete games whenever I get a new one, despite still having 11gb still free on my memory card. It's actively making me avoid buying new games.

UGH!

Maybe it's because I'm a 4GB space scavenger but I'll never understand this type of hoarding. I'd go crazy trying to get around 100 games.

Top Bottom