• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VVV coverage of near final PS4 version of ProjectCARS

danowat

Banned
It still looks twitchy to me compared to forza,hope its a #newera for console racing game's tho!

It is, that's because there is a level of smoothing added to the steering in forza, plus the wheel animation isn't 1:1 with the steering input.

Where as it seems it's WYSIWYG in PCars.

OmegaDL50

I wonder how this will affect the forza franchise. they both seem to be very similar. i would ask how it would affect GT but those only come out like every 10 years. lol

Both Forza and Gran Turismo are semi-sims. As in both games don't really offer full out mechanical damage, blown tires, engine failure, etc.

Project CARS is one of the very few full on racing sims to release on console. The last time a game like this came out was likely to be Race Pro back in 2009 for the Xbox 360.

There are very little full racing sims released on console compared to semi-sim titles.

Mascot

I have a G25 that I can't use :-(

Yet.

Is it finally happening, or am I seeing things (again :)

I was wandering over the projectcarsgame.com website. I noticed that in the bottom line Logitech was standing there, in between Thrustmaster and Fanatec. I had not noticed this before, so, went to the wayback machine (archive.org).
A screenshot from 18th of march this year is way different, only Thrustmaster there.

What do you think?

Today:
waybackmachine26-42015.jpg

18th March:
waybackmachine18maart2015.jpg

NB. Fanatec was announced on the 23rd of march 2015.

And still there is this:
checklist.jpg

saladine1

Interesting stuff.

PLEASE tell me you can choose to lock the audio, eg have the throaty sound from the chase cam while playing in cockpit view..?

I know that having exhaust sound in cockpit isn't exactly correct but I too would love this!

Metfanant

Would be nice if they included a sample screenshot on the right side of the screen to show you what effect your tweaks are having so you don't have to bounce back and forth to find your personal sweet spot

TEH-CJ

Banned
Game is great and I am picking it up at launch. Still very disappointed there atre no import turners. Supra, GTR etc..

Do I have to buy my self an Xbone if I want racers with tuners? seems like Forza horizon 2 is the only racing game on the market that has tuner cars. Am I right?

Metfanant

Game is great and I am picking it up at launch. Still very disappointed there atre no import turners. Supra, GTR etc..

Do I have to buy my self an Xbone if I want racers with tuners? seems like Forza horizon 2 is the only racing game on the market that has tuner cars. Am I right?

This isn't the game for tuner cars unfortunately...hopefully Polyphony has finally gotten its collective head out of its ass and GT7 will scratch that itch...

DieH@rd

Banned
That's a damn shame in a game that gives the player so much choice in other areas. Oh well.

I wonder why driving games never offer this option?

Because it is not realistic. If you want better sounds, use cocpit cam and not the helmet cam [which muffles the sound].

amar212

That's a damn shame in a game that gives the player so much choice in other areas. Oh well.

I wonder why driving games never offer this option?

They do.

Gran Turismo 6 was the first that did this in one of the recent updates and DriveClub also gave that exact option in the last update.

TLDR You can choose to attach to sound from any of the views to any other view

It is an amazing option, especially for those that are using full-surround setups (I do).

Mascot

Because it is not realistic. If you want better sounds, use cocpit cam and not the helmet cam [which muffles the sound].

Well yeah, but let's not start a list of unrealistic things in driving games/sims. We'd be here all day. I guess this option must have been discussed on the WMD forums and shot down by the devs? Can't really see what harm it would do. Choice is good. It'd be a piece of piss to implement as well.

They do.

Gran Turismo 6 was the first that did this in one of the recent updates and DriveClub also gave that exact option in the last update.

It is an amazing option, especially for those that are using full-surround setups (I do).

I didn't know that - I'll have to fire up GT6 later and check it out. Like you I use a full surround set-up and generally have it as loud as I can stand when racing. Apart from much preferring the rawness of the unmuffled sound from chase cam compared to cockpit view, my Buttkicker would also get a more detailed feed from the throaty exhaust audio and louder kerb, rumble strip, shifting etc sounds.

I guess, like PD and Evolution, SMS could patch this in at a later date if demand was there.

They do.

I ended up loving the feature in Driveclub. It's nice to hear some of the exterior sounds sometimes without having to leave cockpit view as I really don't like driving any other way.

saladine1

Team VVV sent us some super high quality videos from the PS4 buidl, looking quite nice if I can say so :)
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_project_cars_ps4_direct_feed_videos-16470_en.html
Many thanks to the VVV guys for these!

Damn, quality is insane.

And with regards to exterior sounds in cockpit, I really do wish SMS patches this in later on.

I used to always change the option for this in GTR and other sims. Again, obviously not realistic but it just sounds so good!

Mascot

Damn, quality is insane.

And with regards to exterior sounds in cockpit, I really do wish SMS patches this in later on.

I used to always change the option for this in GTR and other sims. Again, obviously not realistic but it just sounds so good!

Yeah, those vids are phenomenal. Can't wait to play them on my cockpit screen to see near-as-dammit what the game will look like in play.

Also: ditto with the audio patch.

bombshell

Team VVV sent us some super high quality videos from the PS4 buidl, looking quite nice if I can say so :)
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_project_cars_ps4_direct_feed_videos-16470_en.html
Many thanks to the VVV guys for these!

Are these skipping slightly ahead every few seconds for anyone else in 60 fps? They are fine for me in 30 fps, but I tried both 540p/60 and 720p/60 and both seem to skip constantly for me.

Edit: Forgot to add that it worked switching from Flash to HTML5.

Mascot

I'm really impressed with the console version from these, looks super nice!

Yep, looks really solid. I'd like to see Blim get hold of some of Alan's stress-test PS4 videos with 40-car grids during a night-time thunderstorm. It'd be interesting to see them at 60fps without shitty YouTube compression.

Jeseus

hmm this is not looking 8x AF.. you can clearly see blured out white line at front of the car ... i have never seen something like this in GT5, GT6 or even DC

danowat

Banned
hmm this is not looking 8x AF.. you can clearly see blured out white line at front of the car ... i have never seen something like this in GT5, GT6 or even DC

Yeah, the AF, or lack of, is clear to see from the gamersyde vids, also, lots of aliasing is apparent in those videos.

That said, it still looks pretty damn good.

Jeseus

Yeah, the AF, or lack of, is clear to see from the gamersyde vids, also, lots of aliasing is apparent in those videos.

That said, it still looks pretty damn good.

yes its good looking but SMS promised bump from 4x to 8xAF ...

you can see here comparison of GTA5 8x vs 16xAF i see minimum difference

http://international.download.nvidi...ering-interactive-comparison-1-16x-vs-8x.html

and here 2x vs 16xAF

http://international.download.nvidi...ering-interactive-comparison-1-16x-vs-2x.html

for me its looking like 4xAF from gamersyde video

Revson

Controller impressions are a bit worrying.

Project Cars may be more of a sim than GT or Forza, but a racing game on console should at least play well with a controller.

Megasoum

Banned
Controller impressions are a bit worrying.

Project Cars may be more of a sim than GT or Forza, but a racing game on console should at least play well with a controller.

What controller impressions? All the impressions I've seen in here from WMD members was very positive.

Revson

What controller impressions? All the impressions I've seen in here from WMD members was very positive.

From a couple of videos I've watched, the steering on controller has been described as twitchy, maybe overly so.

If that's not the case then great, I am really looking forward to trying the game. :)

Megasoum

Banned
From a couple of videos I've watched, the steering on controller has been described as twitchy, maybe overly so.

If that's not the case then great, I am really looking forward to trying the game. :)

Well keep in mind that Alan is terrible with a pad (no offense Alan lol). Checkout some PC playing using the pad.

Hedrush

All these videos are great, keep them coming. I wonder when the preload will start. Anyway 9 days and 10 hours until I can finally play the game according to my pre order.

cackhyena

Every video he plays with a pad, he's saying how "heavy handed" he is when it comes to a controller. I don't think/hope it's an indication of poor controls.

Top Bottom