• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VVV coverage of near final PS4 version of ProjectCARS

VVV Mars VG

Is it present on the XBO version?, has anyone played that version and witnessed the same?

No, but that features other issues we'll discuss after the embargo.

So it doesn't look like 'ghosting' to you, more like a motion blur? How does it affect the clarity of the image? Your HQ videos that Gamersyde uploaded look pretty sharp to me.

It depends what people want to call it, some call it ghosting, I call it blur, so when an image moves quickly across the screen it blurs. But you can see in my recent 60fps videos how it looks. As I say, its not going to be for everyone and its a shame that effect is in place, having said that its a lot less now than when I filmed my early previews and as mentioned, it hasn't affected my personal experience of the gameplay.

Lego Boss

No, but that features other issues we'll discuss after the embargo.

It depends what people want to call it, some call it ghosting, I call it blur, so when an image moves quickly across the screen it blurs. But you can see in my recent 60fps videos how it looks. As I say, its not going to be for everyone and its a shame that effect is in place, having said that its a lot less now than when I filmed my early previews and as mentioned, it hasn't affected my personal experience of the gameplay.

OTHER issues? Should I be pre-ordering this? (rhetorical question)

danowat

Banned
From what I understand this is a PS4-only issue, although I MAY be wrong on this.

Bizarre that it would be apparent in one, and not the other, especially as it's been tooted as a feature.........

Looking forward to hearing about the issues once the embargo is lifted.

Megasoum

Banned
Bizarre that it would be apparent in one, and not the other, especially as it's been tooted as a feature.........

Looking forward to hearing about the issues once the embargo is lifted.

Different rendering techniques between the 2 consoles.

From what I understand this is a PS4-only issue, although I MAY be wrong on this.

Yeah, there's a decent summary in the main pcars thread:

There seems to be some sort of rendering bug in the PS4 version of the game that causes a weird ghosting effect...seems to be linked to motion blur

What we know is:

- its not present in PC or Xbone version
- the Dev from the render team that has been interacting with us programmed the motion blur on PC and Xbone...NOT PS4, so he said he would pass along the info
- it has apparently not been noticed in hours upon hours of quality control testing done by SMS
- its possible that the bug was caught, and will be fixed in a day 1 patch
- if not there is no reason to believe it won't be fixed early on

Lots more in there from the dev team if you go back a few pages. I don't think it's a big deal - they're looking at it and doubtless they'll fix it if it's not working as intended.

danowat

Banned
Different rendering techniques between the 2 consoles.

Yeah, I understand that, I am just sure I read somewhere that this ghosting, blurring, whatever you call it, was a feature, surely it could have been replicated on the XBO if the above was true?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Yeah, I understand that, I am just sure I read somewhere that this ghosting, blurring, whatever you call it, was a feature, surely it could have been replicated on the XBO if the above was true?

It is a different AA method, not motion blur.

_machine

It's a negative side effect of Temporal Anti-Aliasing, which normally is an effective way of doing AA that does have an extra cost (which could be the reason why XBO doesn't have it). Basically the PS4 version will have less aliasing and better IQ, but the side-effect of it is that there is some ghosting. Unreal Engine 4 and Halo: Reach suffer a bit from the same problem, but it's a negative side of something positive so it's grey area. I haven't seen the PS4 version myself, but none of my friends who tried the game out at a local Gamestop noticed it, but it's definitely there.

danowat

Banned
It is a different AA method, not motion blur.

It's a negative side effect of Temporal Anti-Aliasing, which normally is an effective way of doing AA that does have an extra cost (which could be the reason why XBO doesn't have it). Basically the PS4 version will have less aliasing and better IQ, but the side-effect of it is that there is some ghosting. Unreal Engine 4 and Halo: Reach suffer a bit from the same problem, but it's a negative side of something positive so it's grey area. I haven't seen the PS4 version myself, but none of my friends who tried the game out at a local Gamestop noticed it, but it's definitely there.

Right, got you.

So to summarize, it's been used on the PS4 version to increase the IQ, and wasn't used on the XBO due to the overhead it gives.

Really interested to see the differences in IQ between both versions from the final retail code.

Mascot

I'm sure I read somewhere today that a PS4 patch is incoming to let you adjust the effect, or disable it completely. I might have even read it on GAF.

Or I imagined the whole thing.

Help me out here somebody..?

Edit: HERE

It's not a bug. It's a side effect of the way we do AA on PS4, and is arguably a good thing (hear me out!). It's there, and very noticeable from static images of non-direct feed footage especially, but also undeniably in the game itself (mainly when paused). I spotted it and reported it as soon as it got checked in long ago (so we didn't "miss it" as many would have you believe).

However, I also "spotted" that the PS4 version has really lovely image quality, a very smooth and slightly soft (not low res!), "non-gamey" look, which is very natural, and (imo!) rather fantastic, due to this very clever AA approach. It also greatly minimises the distant "shimmer" you often see in console racing games, which is a side effect of low quality AA on thin vertical objects such as fences.

So yes, the ghosting effect is there, if you look hard enough. The advantages far outweigh this small disadvantage however. Notwithstanding that, if customer feedback demands it, we have a plan to add a UI slider in a future update, which will enable you to tune out the ghosting, at the expense of more aliasing and distant shimmer.

Got a source for that, _machine..?

danowat

Banned
I'm sure I read somewhere today that a PS4 patch is incoming to let you adjust the effect, or disable it completely. I might have even read it on GAF.

That would be cool.

You read it on GAF. They didn't confirm a patch however.

hesido

Right, got you.

So to summarize, it's been used on the PS4 version to increase the IQ, and wasn't used on the XBO due to the overhead it gives.

Really interested to see the differences in IQ between both versions from the final retail code.

If you can call constant ghosting increased IQ, PS4 has the best IQ among the platforms.
aZWszPz.gif

Notice the beams on the bridge. Notice that no single frame has a clean image of the beam. Not a single frame displays the beam in its correct color aside from the parts that intersect There are several games that use AA with a temporal component, and I can't remember any of them having this type of ghosting aside from very select edge cases.

The only reason most don't notice is because our brains work so well to recover the intended image, a ghost in frame overlaps with the ghost in the next frame. As for people not noticing this at 30fps twitch stream, it looks like downsampled 60fps video, and it looks smoother than a normal 30fps video because of the ghosting.

Those with brain damage such as myself see cones and lines doubled even at viewing video at full speed for example. Mind you that the car in the following gif is not running full speed and lateral movement of camera causes horizontal displacement of the ghost lines and cones.
KTCkeNW.gif

When going full speed ahead, lines seem like having a motion blur because they vertically overlap.

danowat

Banned
I'm not convinced it is a negative like everyone is making it out to be. It's not like we will be playing in slow motion.

It's a tradeoff I guess, improved IQ at the expense of this blurring, as I said previously, I had to look really hard on the streams and PS4 videos to notice it (ok, it's more apparent if you stop frame and frame grab a single image, but that's not how you play the game), I guess some people are more sensitive to these kinds of things.

Now what would be nice would be to see footage of the IQ with the temporal AA enabled, and one without, that would highlight just how much of an improvement in IQ you are getting for that blurring tradeoff.

Mascot

If you can call constant ghosting increased IQ, PS4 has the best IQ among the platforms.
aZWszPz.gif

Notice the beams on the bridge. Notice that no single frame has a clean image of the beam. Not a single frame displays the beam in its correct color aside from the parts that intersect There are several games that use AA with a temporal component, and I can't remember any of them having this type of ghosting aside from very select edge cases.

The only reason most don't notice is because our brains work so well to recover the intended image, a ghost in frame overlaps with the ghost in the next frame. As for people not noticing this at 30fps twitch stream, it looks like downsampled 60fps video, and it looks smoother than a normal 30fps video because of the ghosting.

Those with brain damage such as myself see cones and lines doubled even at viewing video at full speed for example. Mind you that the car in the following gif is not running full speed and lateral movement of camera causes horizontal displacement of the ghost lines and cones.
KTCkeNW.gif

When going full speed ahead, lines seem like having a motion blur because they vertically overlap.

Why all these slow-mo gifs? Just pause a video and it's there to see. At game speed I really struggle to see it though.

danowat

Banned
Why all these slow-mo gifs? Just pause a video and it's there to see. At game speed I really struggle to see it though.

It's in the peripheral vision, and most people probably wouldn't notice it, however, he does make a good point about brain injuries and other neurological conditions seeing different things, I know autistic people have a different way of viewing things, and a different field of view, and don't always concentrate on the same area's that people without those conditions do.

hesido

To display the nature of the ghosting and that it's not just a motion blur, that it is there at every frame, all the time.

The fact that 99% of other gamers failing to see this even at 30fps, let alone 60fps where image persists for half the time compared to 60fps also proves that validity of most graphics discussions is debatable: Look at the clarity of doubled cones and lines, there they are, all the time, and 99% don't notice it. Which makes it even weirder for me to come here and show these images. And this also invalidates the several hundreds of programmer time that tries to perfect temporal anti aliasing solutions. Just blend two frames and call it a day. Almost everybody will love it, some will call it a feature, increased IQ even.

Only in the straights. All the screen will have the effect in the turns. In addition to the driver's hands and the steering wheel in cockpit cam.

Exactly. When you are turning, whole screen is affected. Or when in replay you choose a top down view, or when you AI opponents are running sideways with respect to your viewpoint (for example, after they turn a sharp corner before you do).

Pjsprojects

If this ghosting blur thing is missing from X1 version because of overheads then why would pc not have the same look as PS4 ghost blur?

Could it just be a bug on PS4 that will get patched.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
If this ghosting blur thing is missing from X1 version because of overheads then why would pc not have the same look as PS4 ghost blur?

Could it just be a bug on PS4 that will get patched.

PC probably uses a better AA method.

hesido

True. PC build looks great,as do the consoles but that blur sort of reminds me of KZSF multiplayer display.

KZSF multiplayer shows ghosting on specific cases only in specific areas of the image, there's a lot of math going behind their re-projection technique to produce a 1080p image from two consecutive frames. Their AA also has a temporal component, though. Again, nicely executed. But given the current situation, I can safely say Guerrilla wasted a lot of time.

to be honest I have been watching a lot of videos and streams for the PS4 version which is the one I might get, and I hadn´t notice the ghosting, which is pretty clear on slowmo.

For me it will come down to something else, I need to know if this game can be enjoyed only by extreme sim fans or just a racing fan.

I don´t have Driveclub yet and I plan to get that too, there is room for both, the career in PCars seems really interesting for a racing fan.

Top Bottom