• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (August 2014)

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Books I've read this month:

18666047.jpg

Half a King - A bit disappointed. Was not aware this was Abercrombie's turn at Young Adult and everything just seemed watered down. The concept and execution were fine (he is such an awesome action scene writer) but I wanted more blood and gore. :p

18693743.jpg

Prince of Fools - If you liked the original trilogy (I quite enjoyed them) then there isn't much more to say. More of the same with a bit more wit.

17910124.jpg

The Emperor's Blades - Didn't expect much but damn I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Can't put my finger on it but I blasted through it in a few nights.

Going on a 2 week vacation soon. Any SciFi recs?

Help me GAF! What should I read next? I've got three I've been considering:

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami
Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon

For context, I've read The Road and thought it was fantastic. I read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and loved the writing but felt that the last third fell kinda flat. I've never read any Pynchon but I like postmodern shit (and really I'm just picking Inherent Vice out of a hat, I don't know where to start with him).

Krowley

For context, I've read The Road and thought it was fantastic. I read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and loved the writing but felt that the last third fell kinda flat. I've never read any Pynchon but I like postmodern shit (and really I'm just picking Inherent Vice out of a hat, I don't know where to start with him).

I've read Hard Boiled, and Blood Meridian. I'm not as big a fan of Blood Meridian as some people, but I liked it better than Hard-Boiled.

For context, I've also read Wind-Up Bird and The Road, and loved both of them, but thought The Road was slightly better.

I'm also one of the (apparently) rare people who like the Road a lot more than Blood Meridian.

VanWinkle

Just finished Words of Radiance...Storms, was that book good. Holy cow. I had a hard time believing it would beat Way of Kings for me, but by the time I finished I'd say it beat it pretty handily. I'm still trying to recover from how amazing it was.

Cade

Searched but didn't find, is there a big Kindle Unlimited thread where people recommend stuff that's on the service? Was planning on giving the free trial a shot if I can find enough stuff I want to breeze through.

Protein

Banned
Currently reading Wool and The Humans. The Humans is great so far. Very charming and the humor is top-notch.

I'm about 100 pages into Wool. The introduction was great but I feel like it's been dragging on with
the endless descent/ascent.
Am I writing it off too soon or does it get exponentially better?

Finished up Neil Gaiman's Stardust and absolutely loved it. Really great.

About to start Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials sometime this week. I picked up TGC last weekend. Excited to see what all the hype is about.

Well, I didn't know how my "one free book a month" thing with Amazon Prime worked..

So I was on the "The Alchemist" page and I was like ... hmm maybe if I click this "1 button buy" it will give me some options.

No. It really meant one button. It wasn't a part of the free service.

I guess this is what I'm reading now lol

ShaneB

Searched but didn't find, is there a big Kindle Unlimited thread where people recommend stuff that's on the service? Was planning on giving the free trial a shot if I can find enough stuff I want to breeze through.

I gave KU a try when one of the books I wanted to read earlier was on the service. I figured it was worth it enough for that one book, plus a few other sports books I managed to grab. Debating if I'll stick with it, but I've already gotten my free trial worth of it, so maybe I will.

Currently reading Wool and The Humans. The Humans is great so far. Very charming and the humor is top-notch.

Enjoying the love for The Humans here as well, I enjoyed it plenty, so it's cool to see others checking it out as well.

Cade

I gave KU a try when one of the books I wanted to read earlier was on the service. I figured it was worth it enough for that one book, plus a few other sports books I managed to grab. Debating if I'll stick with it, but I've already gotten my free trial worth of it, so maybe I will.

Yeah, I might as well. I can't see myself subbing unless they get a lot more stuff, though.

Pickman

Just started Chasm City after finishing off Revelation Space. Kind of on a Reynolds kick lately.

Has anyone read the new Tower Lord novel from Anthony Ryan yet? I'm tempted cause I really enjoyed the first book, but this one has been middling on Goodreads so I'm nervous about hopping on.

I wish we had something along these lines. Kindle thread OT hijack!

When I sign up for Kindle Unlimited I intend to blast through everything by Arthur C Clarke, as many books by Stanislaw Lem and Philip K Dick as I can, and self-published stuff like Wool, etc.

besada

Banned
I just started a collection of short stories by Amy Hemphill.

I was previously unfamiliar with her work. On a technical level, she is amazing. Very short works, every word precisely laid out for maximum effect. I may have more to say about her later.

Once I'm done, I'll be moving on to two other short story collections: one by A.M. Homes and another by George Saunders -- two of my favorite writers.

Dresden

Went through Half a King. Short read, pretty snappy stuff. The language is still very Abercrombie, and it's basically the same shit as his other books violence wise, but with less fucks and fucking. There's a neatness to the ending that feels kinda weird, considering how his others books tend to end. The characters tend to be left tossed in the air, fresh off some upheaval (though Red Country broke away from this with the kind of optimism and panache that I did not expect, and it was wonderful for it), and here everything is cleanly, almost abruptly wrapped up, with only a strand or two left to nibble on for the sequel. Still, pretty fun.

Wow, that's all KINDS of awesome. Bravo!!!!

Seriously, no one is reading this yet?!?

51zi%2B4QGquL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

It's Harkaway alright, but it's also (maybe) a little more serious for him? So far, about 1/3 through, it does not disappoint at all.
I enjoyed this a lot, although... Well, let's talk again when you've finished it.

All three are solid. For Pynchon, Inherent Vice and Bleeding Edge (his latest) are good candidates for a first Pynchon.

Blood Meridian is a much tougher novel than The Road, but as dark. Darker if you aren't a parent. The Road hit my father heavily, while it didn't bother me much at all. Blood Meridian perturbed me quite a bit.

Murakami's novels are all alike in that surrealist feeling they evoke as you read through them.

So it really depends on what you're feeling. Meridian will be the hardest, most brutal look at human loss and violence. Pynchon's novels (above) are hilarious detective stories wrapped in paranoia and steeped in American culture. Murakami is like walking through a dream where you aren't quite sure you're dreaming.

I wish we had something along these lines. Kindle thread OT hijack!

When I sign up for Kindle Unlimited I intend to blast through everything by Arthur C Clarke, as many books by Stanislaw Lem and Philip K Dick as I can, and self-published stuff like Wool, etc.
There are at least three GAFfers on there:

Me: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IV3JTPA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Fidelis Hodie: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IIX5F7E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Cosmicblizzard: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HI054CO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Finished California. Sushi, I loved it! I'll certainly add it to my post-apocalypse recommendation list for others. Reminded me a lot of Octavia Butler's Parable series which is also great.

Started Galveston. Really fast read and I'm enjoying it so far.

Angmars - I'll get on your request shortly and let you know when I do :b

Finished California. Sushi, I loved it! I'll certainly add it to my post-apocalypse recommendation list for others. Reminded me a lot of Octavia Butler's Parable series which is also great.

I'll have to check out California. Sounds like a book I'll enjoy as I love good post-apocalyptic fiction.

Also, I'm curious what you'll think about the ending to Galveston. Haven't had a chance to discuss it with anyone yet.

KatieWha

Neo Member
House of Leaves. It's so good, but super complicated to read. I'm a fast reader and I've been working on it for a few months now, but totally worth it.

Dsyndrome

Buffy Season 8 Volume 1 - Keep starting it and then play Vita instead. Need to stick with it.
The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three - linking this a lot more than the first one, not sure if it's because I'm not a Western fan or not.

Mistborn: Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson

Less than a hundred pages into it. Enjoying it so far. The first book was pretty good.

I've got a copy of Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss gathering dust. It looks to be written in first person, which I am not a fan of. I picked it up after meeting Pat at a con. Once I finish the current book I'll at least give it a shot.

Angmars - I'll get on your request shortly and let you know when I do :b
You rock! Thanks!

Mr.Swag

Banned
I guess ill be reading California as well! When it was on Colbert it grabbed my attention but then I forgot about it.

Contre-histoire de la philosophie tome 3: les libertins baroques
(In English is like Against-history of philosophy Volume 3: The baroque libertines

41Bxsq8vg0L._.jpg

TTG

Seriously, no one is reading this yet?!?

51zi%2B4QGquL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

It's Harkaway alright, but it's also (maybe) a little more serious for him? So far, about 1/3 through, it does not disappoint at all.

I don't keep up with new releases, so thanks? I'll maybe check it out. The Gone Away World was pretty cool, but a little too long.

I'm about 100 pages into Wool. The introduction was great but I feel like it's been dragging on with
the endless descent/ascent.
Am I writing it off too soon or does it get exponentially better?

It has been at least a year since I read Wool, but the first chapter/part was the best. The rest was okay, but doesn't compare to how good the first section was.

Yes! Glad you liked it. After I read and thought about it some more, I wasn't sure if it was something I'd recommend to a post-apocalyptic fiction fan just because it's a little more touchy-feely, but that's also why I liked it. It has been many years since I read the first of the Parable books, but now that you mention it, maybe it's time for a re-read and a continuing of that series.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=876953

Just wanted to make sure you guys saw this. Our own aidan, who you probably know from posting in these threads, has won a Hugo Award. :D

Whoa! Congrats Aidan!

Nuke Soda

Finished 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. It was fantastic, it made me feel like I had spent 100 years in the village of Macondo (In a good way, not a slow way). Interesting characters mixed funny and sad and just plain weird moments made for an amazing read. It you are looking for something that is slightly different than most books check it out.

Started reading Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy by John Le Carre. About 160 pages in.

I don't know if Manga counts in this thread, but i'm reading through the perfect edition of Monster.

voG52RA.png

Can't wait for the rest to be released so my collection will be... complete!

I don't keep up with new releases, so thanks? I'll maybe check it out. The Gone Away World was pretty cool, but a little too long.

Maybe a tad long, but as first novels go, it's totally solid, and it's delightfully free of MFA trappings (no, that's not meant to start an argument, it's more a commentary on some of the stuff I've been reading lately).

lightus

Just finished up Elantris by Brandon Sanderson. Not his best work but it was still pretty fun. I give it a 3/5.

Picked up Stoner by John Williams. Only 25 pages in so far but I'm enjoying it. I love the prose and the overall flow of writing.

166997.jpg

Also working on the Mass Effect Library Edition Volume 1 (graphic novels). This book is huge and heavy! I was not expecting 400+ pages when I bought it. Very nice prints and the book itself is very sturdy. The content itself is just so-so, however, so I would advise against it unless you're a huge Mass Effect fan (such as I).

17131956.jpg

I'm trying to decide on which of the following books I should read first. I've heard great things about all and am now indecisive.

1. Mistborn trilogy
2. The black company
3. The prince of thorns

Just finished up Elantris by Brandon Sanderson. Not his best work but it was still pretty fun. I give it a 3/5.

Picked up Stoner by John Williams. Only 25 pages in so far but I'm enjoying it. I love the prose and the overall flow of writing.

166997.jpg

If you like the writing there, you may also like:

We Are Not Ourselves by Matthew Thomas

I'm almost halfway done and liking the writing so far. It's kind of a mix between Stoner and:

The Tender Bar by J.R. Moehringer
(which btw is an awesome read too)

Dash_

Half-way though the Culture series. Just started Inversion, 60 pages in and zero Culture so far. We'll see how it goes.

Zona

Half-way though the Culture series. Just started Inversion, 60 pages in and zero Culture so far. We'll see how it goes.

Inversion is an odd one, it's set in the Culture universe but not focused on The Culture. Still a good book though.

Cyrus_Saren

Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie. Currently 3-4 chapters in. Going to be interesting once I finish this since I am not sure what I should read next. There's so many other books I have to go through that I don't know where to start.

Top Bottom