• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (August 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paganmoon

I just finished "American Gods".

I fricken hate this book. I dont get how its so loved. I was actually glad its over so I can move onto something else (Everyone kept telling me to wait till the end so the whole story made sense, BS the ending is predictable as all hell and boring to boot).

Just an absolute drudge to read through. So many sections of long winded stories of gods coming to america that killed the pacing. The "gods" were silly in them selves, some of the descriptions were just eye role worthy.

Hmm, one of my favorite books. Though I actually enjoyed the build up more than the climax. To each their own I suppose.

Most of my reading time is now dedicated to a bunch of books on branding and marketing as part of a work requirement, but I'm finding some time to slip in fun stuff too.

I'm working my way through Max Hastings' Inferno: The World at War, 1939-1945...I got into Paradox's grand strategy games late last year which sparked a passion for military history I never knew I had. This WWII overview came highly recommended as a starting point.

As someone who's read very little history and nonfiction for fun, I'm really loving it. It does a fantastic job of balancing the macro and the micro levels of the conflict and manages to stay fresh and interesting with its prose without being didactically narrativistic.

Also reading Jim Butcher's The Aeronaut's Windlass ...not quite digging it as much as Dresden or Codex Alera so far, but I'm only on the first hundred pages of the first book and Alera didn't hook me until the second book, so it's got plenty of time to grow on me.

kswiston

Looks like it is Goblin Emperor month. I started the book today. It's good so far. I'm only about 10% of the way in so not much more to say yet.

Well instead of getting more sleep, I spent the last seven hours reading the last 600 pages of The Fireman. I liked it quite a bit but that ending. Fucking yikes. Not a fan, really. Caught quite a few good references that were subtle though most of them were brick to face obvious. I like Hill but I hope he makes something nore unique next... Or does his own Salem's Lot.

600 pages in 7 hours. Sounds like you are a very fast reader! I think it would take me twice that.

Caode

Just started this, albeit late last night, so I only read through the first two chapters but it's got it's hooks in me already; opening it up again now to get a couple hours put into it. 'Stranger Things' kinda put me in the mood to dive into my Stephen King backlog so I'm starting with this.. just one of many I have to read.

y1QaqLb.jpg

Hmm, one of my favorite books. Though I actually enjoyed the build up more than the climax. To each their own I suppose.
Same here. I thought the meandering buildup and the interstitial stories were fantastic. It did a great job of mimicking a road trip, and the predictable conclusion seemed very deliberate as a way to fulfill the persistent "it's about the journey, not the destination" theme.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Blitzed through A Sense of an Ending, but I can't say I really cared for it. I have a pet peeve when authors/characters lay the themes on thick. When every other section ends with, essentially, "Well those were my memories. They might be wrong, maybe." I end up going "Ok, I get it. Move on."

I'd still recommend it for the beautiful writing and great characterization, but it's a rather tempered recommendation.
Loved that one. I connected a lot with how he explored the themes of growing old, memory, and the connections we make (and neglect) with other people in our lives. Like you said it's beautifully written, but yeah, I also get what you mean about he laying it on thick in some parts.

One thing I didn't care for was the mini-reveal at the end
about Adrian Jr.'s parentage
. Bit of a curveball that doesn't add much to the narrative, and it also made
Veronica's actions feel kind of contrived/nonsensical
. It happens at the very end though, so I didn't feel it detracted from the story either.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I just finished "American Gods".

I fricken hate this book. I dont get how its so loved. I was actually glad its over so I can move onto something else (Everyone kept telling me to wait till the end so the whole story made sense, BS the ending is predictable as all hell and boring to boot).

Just an absolute drudge to read through. So many sections of long winded stories of gods coming to america that killed the pacing. The "gods" were silly in them selves, some of the descriptions were just eye role worthy.

I had similar thoughts when I read this book a long while ago. Others seem to love it. I'll probably re-read before the series hits to give it another chance.

Finished:

51V5%2BJf5ceL.jpg

The usual: idea better than the execution, tropes/cliches, totally a setup for the sequel(s), but it's also fundamentally interesting: Earth in the far future is a rotted husk, and time travelers have to go back in time to plunder resources throughout history, while following rules/limitations of time itself. Will I read the sequel? Yes, but not immediately.

I had similar thoughts when I read this book a long while ago. Others seem to love it. I'll probably re-read before the series hits to give it another chance.
It definitely took me two reads to really appreciate it...I was relatively tepid the first time through and now I consider it my favorite novel. The difference 6 years can make.

You might still hate it, of course, but that was my experience.

Mumei

Started reading Call Me By Your Name and I suspect I'll enjoy it. Engrossing and well written from the early goings.

I really enjoyed Call Me By Your Name, despite the May-December romance aspect; I suspect I would have enjoyed it much more if I had read it when I was around 17 or so.

Starting The Ghost Brigades. I have been listening to A Dance With Dragons and have about 18 hours left. It's slowly, but feels like it's finally got momentum in the second half.

It is utterly fantastic. It's a play in book form, though. It still manages to capture the wonder and depth of the original series while passing the torch from the original characters to the new generation. If you liked the Harry Potter books it's essential.
Really? The leaked script thread's impressions have been mostly negative.

Loved that one. I connected a lot with how he explored the themes of growing old, memory, and the connections we make (and neglect) with other people in our lives. Like you said it's beautifully written, but yeah, I also get what you mean about he laying it on thick in some parts.

One thing I didn't care for was the mini-reveal at the end
about Adrian Jr.'s parentage
. Bit of a curveball that doesn't add much to the narrative, and it also made
Veronica's actions feel kind of contrived/nonsensical
. It happens at the very end though, so I didn't feel it detracted from the story either.

Thematically
Adrian Jr.'s Parantage makes some sense. Tony keeps assuming everything about his memories based on small facts and his memories. He gets everything about his history wrong, and really only the present can prove otherwise. While he assumes Adrian Jr. is Veronica's child, that's purely because he again makes assumptions where he otherwise shouldn't. That said, Veronica's behavior in the second half was generally annoying/tedious. I wish Julian Barnes spent a little more time developing her beyond "You don't get it and you never will." The book seemingly had two mantras throughout and both became grating. Veronica's was worse, however, because it came as a disservice to her actual character.

I think that reveal would have been more impactful had we see what Tony does afterward. What does he tell his ex-wife, for instance? Does he change his behavior going forward? I'd like to know what this really meant for Tony, even if he continues to remain stagnant.

lawnchair

Banned
just finished

41E5kQzz2uL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

fast, really interesting read. mind-bending thought experiment type stuff. recommend it to anybody. i don't really read non-fiction and i chewed through this pretty quickly.

Ingram

Finished the First Law Trilogy (Sogood.gif) Now I'm onto:

610b%2BTNQ8GL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Want to do a Farseer reread but I also want to get back to Abercrombie after I'm done. We'll see!

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
25955353.jpg

When i saw that the amazon description mentioned World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War i had to buy this book, specially since it was on sale. I read a third of it today and it's good stuff, personally i hope there will heavy doses of this in the latter parts.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Thematically
Adrian Jr.'s Parantage makes some sense. Tony keeps assuming everything about his memories based on small facts and his memories. He gets everything about his history wrong, and really only the present can prove otherwise. While he assumes Adrian Jr. is Veronica's child, that's purely because he again makes assumptions where he otherwise shouldn't. That said, Veronica's behavior in the second half was generally annoying/tedious. I wish Julian Barnes spent a little more time developing her beyond "You don't get it and you never will." The book seemingly had two mantras throughout and both became grating. Veronica's was worse, however, because it came as a disservice to her actual character.

I think that reveal would have been more impactful had we see what Tony does afterward. What does he tell his ex-wife, for instance? Does he change his behavior going forward? I'd like to know what this really meant for Tony, even if he continues to remain stagnant.
Ah definitely, the reason I didn't mind it too much is because it does work on that level.
It kept Tony contemplating and making guesses in a way I found engrossing, which was good. He keeps trying to make sense of things, but the regrets and fogginess of the past continue to get in the way.

You're right, the issue isn't with the existence of the reveal in itself. It just doesn't work as well for Veronica as it does for Tony due to how Barnes wrote her during that part. I agree that her side could have used a bit more development in the second half.
We get that she's angry and disappointed, but in the end there's just not a lot there that makes me think "yeah, I totally get her attitude all the times he tried to reach out". In retrospect the way she acted mostly served to maintain Tony's lack of knowledge for as long as necessary instead of ultimately serving her as a character in a relatable way.

just finished

41E5kQzz2uL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

fast, really interesting read. mind-bending thought experiment type stuff. recommend it to anybody. i don't really read non-fiction and i chewed through this pretty quickly.

His interview with Marc Maron on the latter's WTF podcast was really good.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Not enjoying this new Harry Potter.

I'd rather go see the play than read it tbh

ngower

I really enjoyed Call Me By Your Name, despite the May-December romance aspect; I suspect I would have enjoyed it much more if I had read it when I was around 17 or so.

Yeah part of me is like "Well this is kind of gross." But it's, what, 7 years apart?

I would really like to start reading Warhammer 40K, but there's like a hundred of them and I don't know where to begin. For someone who's read them, is the a time line? Are they connected? Where's the best place to begin?

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I would really like to start reading Warhammer 40K, but there's like a hundred of them and I don't know where to begin. For someone who's read them, is the a time line? Are they connected? Where's the best place to begin?

Dan Abnett's Gaunt's Ghosts is an oft-recommended WH40k series: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Gaunt's_Ghosts_(Novel_Series)

I believe (I haven't read a lot of 40k books), that as long as you stay within one sub-series, there shouldn't be much confusion regarding the timeline (like most tie-in fiction.) Someone with more experience with the series might say I'm wrong, though.

Just finished The Name of the Wind.

Was solid. I feel a little disappointed since everyone sold it to me as an epic fantasy, but it isn't. Not nearly the scale required to fit the bill.

I feel like now that I know what the books are I will enjoy them more.

rLR2p6x.jpg

Ah definitely, the reason I didn't mind it too much is because it does work on that level.
It kept Tony contemplating and making guesses in a way I found engrossing, which was good. He keeps trying to make sense of things, but the regrets and fogginess of the past continue to get in the way.

You're right, the issue isn't with the existence of the reveal in itself. It just doesn't work as well for Veronica as it does for Tony due to how Barnes wrote her during that part. I agree that her side could have used a bit more development in the second half.
We get that she's angry and disappointed, but in the end there's just not a lot there that makes me think "yeah, I totally get her attitude all the times he tried to reach out". In retrospect the way she acted mostly served to maintain Tony's lack of knowledge for as long as necessary instead of ultimately serving her as a character in a relatable way.

I definitely agree with everything you have spoilered. I wonder how the book would have been with even 10 pages more of Veronica just talking about /anything/ to Tony. I found the moment where they had dinner and Tony talks about himself the whole time to be really interesting, the way she guides Tony away from finding out anything new. It showed her to be smart and cunning--she knew exactly how to divert Tony's attention. A bit more of something like that, and I think I'd have loved the book.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Just finished Dan Simmons' The Fall of Hyperion.

I quickly fell in love with the first book, and was pleasantly surprised to see the sequel--though different in its approach--continue the excellent story-telling.

The pacing is incredible, which made it easy to keep reading without ever getting bored. All of the characters are very memorable, but I especially love how the
Shrike
remained formidable and mysterious until the very end.

This series is right up there with Dune as my favorite sci-fi literature, and I'm kind of left feeling lost as to where I go from here. But that generally happens with any really good book I read.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Any good cyberpunk/Deus ex like stories out there? Really in the mood for high tech corporate run future books right now.

Pazu

I kind of hated Penric and the Shaman. Well, hated is too strong a word, but I didn't really like it which is very much not par for the course with me with Bujold. Loved Penric's Demon, though. I felt like she got away from the core strength of the concept, which was the relationship between Penric and Desdemona. Desdemona really took a backseat in this new story and didn't have a huge part to play in Penric's own development.

I'm not sure if this counts, but I'm reading this...

As much as it's a book to teach you sleights and such, it's actually quite interesting. The book was originally published in 1949 and hasn't undergone many changes. It's really interesting seeing the writing style and words used from then.

Mollymauk

Finished the First Law Trilogy (Sogood.gif) Now I'm onto:

610b%2BTNQ8GL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Want to do a Farseer reread but I also want to get back to Abercrombie after I'm done. We'll see!

The Long Ships is my favorite book. I recommend it to others all the time, and no one ever listens to me. Oh well, their loss.

I just laughed through the whole book. I hear the narrator in Stephen Fry's voice. That sets the tone of the humor for me.

Dan Abnett's Gaunt's Ghosts is an oft-recommended WH40k series: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Gaunt's_Ghosts_(Novel_Series)

I believe (I haven't read a lot of 40k books), that as long as you stay within one sub-series, there shouldn't be much confusion regarding the timeline (like most tie-in fiction.) Someone with more experience with the series might say I'm wrong, though.

Well, that's a pretty big series and I love Abnett's comic work, so I'll start there. Thanks!

Saphirax

61FFRbf7rQL.jpg

Finished it a few days back and now I have to wait god knows how long for the sequel. It starts out slow, but overall I was impressed; especially characterization wise. Having an old (albeit badass) woman as one of the protagonists was certainly refreshing. I have some issues with how the ending of the novel played out. Nothing overly serious but it was definitely written with a sequel in mind, but the execution could've been better. The beginning and the ending of the novel were definitely at odds with each other. Another minor gripe - certain events just being mentioned in passing. It creates this odd juxtaposition where, as mentioned, the beginning of the novel is rather slow and then you get hit by scenarios that apparently already happened but you don't get to experience them.

Despite that, it's diverse, intriguing and Elliott does a great job creating a culturally rich and complex world.

Also, the cover is atrocious.

Next up:

51K7%2BgtsWML.jpg

Unless I get distracted by another novel. I have serious book commitment issues.

Any good cyberpunk/Deus ex like stories out there? Really in the mood for high tech corporate run future books right now.

Of Stuff you might not have read; enjoyed Idoru by Gibson recently, also ...

Synners - Pat Cadigan
Brasyl - Ian McDonald
and the fantastic Nexus Trilogy (Nexus, Crux, and Apex) by Ramez Naam

Mumei

I read The Midnight Assassin: Panic, Scandal, and the Hunt for America's First Serial Killer by Skip Hollandsworth yesterday. It's pretty good - sort of a lesser version of historical serial killer non-fiction like The Devil in the White City.

I also started So You Want to Be a Wizard by Diane Duane, whose parents were singularly uncreative at naming their children, today. I am enjoying it, but it is a step below other seminal children's fantasy series to my taste.

Yeah part of me is like "Well this is kind of gross." But it's, what, 7 years apart?

Mmhm. But of course, seven years means different things at different places in your life.

51K7%2BgtsWML.jpg

Unless I get distracted by another novel. I have serious book commitment issues.

I'm starting this tonight as well. Looking forward to it. Haven't read fantasy since finishing Words of Radiance.

Excellent decision, both of you.

Cfh123

Coincidentally, I just finished The Curse of Chalion. It is very good. I'm going to try Bujold's sci-fi next.

Mumei

Coincidentally, I just finished The Curse of Chalion. It is very good. I'm going to try Bujold's sci-fi next.

You should read The Paladin of Souls soon. It's in the running for her best book.

Also, for Vorkosigan Saga, I suggest going for the mostly chronological order:

Cordelia's Honor (omnibus)
- Shards of Honor
- Barrayar

Young Miles (omnibus)
- The Warrior's Apprentice
- The Mountains of Mourning (novella)
- The Vor Game

Miles, Mystery, and Mayhem (omnibus)
- Cetaganda
- Ethan of Athos
- Labyrinth (novella)

Miles Errant (omnibus)
- The Borders of Infinity (novella)
- Brothers in Arms
- Mirror Dance

- Memory

Miles in Love (omnibus)
- Komarr
- A Civil Campaign
- Winterfair Gifts (novella)

Miles, Mutants, and Microbes (omnibus)
- Falling Free
- Diplomatic Immunity (Falling Free is technically the first book in the series by hundreds of years, but both books share a common location and so it makes sense to pair them)

- Captain Vorpatril's Alliance
- Cryoburn
- Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen

Cfh123

Also coincidentally, I had purchased Shards of Honor as my next Bujold book. Thanks for the list as I was trying to figure out the order in which to read that series. It was either that or Falling Free.

Mumei

Also coincidentally, I had purchased Shards of Honor as my next Bujold book. Thanks for the list as I was trying to figure out the order in which to read that series. It was either that or Falling Free.

Yeah, I have seen a number of people reading the series for the first time read Falling Free first. I don't think it's something that ruins the experience, but it must be a jarring nonetheless. You read one story with featuring a set of characters - and then suddenly you jump forward hundreds of years to the beginnings of a family saga featuring completely unrelated people!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom