• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (October 2011)

Got my new library card and paid off my $5 fine and just got

VPFrb.jpg

Bah, foiled again by a pretty cover and pre-release hype.

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
Finished this and thought it was definitely not worth the time to read it. It's like a lame magic trick: a lot of flourishes and a predictable ending. I get so mad when I read long books that obviously need to be edited down. It's like I'm personally offended that they didn't get a decent editor.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Monster-Hunter-Vendetta.jpg

Just finished listening to this .

Series is great fun.This is a direct sequel To Monster Hunter International. Ya got MHI a group of bounty hunters that are out to save the world from Monsters..and collect a good pay check.
Its very pulpy,the main character Owen Pitt is a big galoot, an accountant that's favorite hobby is Guns and Speed Shooting, after surviving a Werewolf Attack he's recruited into MHI..
The books are just great fun. Honestly the closest thing I can compare this series to is Angel TV show..its got that Vibe to it.

The narrator of the audio book is Oliver Wyman. Of close to a hundred audiobooks I've listened to this guy could just be the best narrator I've heard. Gonna buy some more books from audible with him as a reader and see if he's this good with other authors.
Monster Hunter Vendette Sample click the sample below the picture to hear an excerpt.

Kammie

51esDUk1Q6L.jpg

Just finished this. Thoroughly enjoyable; I can see myself reading it again at some point. The mordant wit of Mr. Bennet and the antics of Mr. Collins were completely hilarious.

I'd bought the & Zombies edition of the book when the Kindle version was on sale for a buck... skimming through it now, and it seems like an idiotic waste of time. I pity whoever reads it before the original.

nakedsushi said:
Finished this for this month's book club:

Blood Meridian: Or, the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy

I'm glad it got picked and that I forced myself to keep reading it. I definitely liked it more during the last half.

Oh man, I'm really trying to like it...about a third of the way through and it just hasn't grabbed me yet. His lack of quotation marks for speech makes it difficult to follow sometimes. Your saying it gets better is encouraging though.

city-of-god-augustine.jpg

This OccupyWallStreet Movement has really got me thinking about justice in the world, and I've got this tremendous sense of hopelessness that I'm trying to eleviate. I'm only reading part two and I've only just started but from what I've read so far I think I will enjoy the rest.

Ceebs

Nymerio said:
I'm at around 30% of:

51c6yenYEyL._SL500_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-48,22_AA300_SH20_OU03_.jpg

Really liking it thus far. I want the read something scary next, does gaf have any recommendations for that? I read House of Leaves and thought the explorations into the house were quite frightening if that helps :)
I absolutely loved this series. I still tear up a bit near the end of Wee Free Men. Pratchett's YA stuff is easily his absolute best work and that says so much about how good those books are.

SyNapSe

41YAIV6UyML._SS500_.jpg

I enjoyed it a lot. Marcus is a republican, Texan and Navy Seal and he comes across as pretty fanatical about all of them but he has some good humor in there and the story is absolutely incredible. The section on training for the Seals got a bit repetitive but I couldn't put it down in the second half.

I've always wanted to read Moneyball and I think I'm going to do that now.

Having a bit of trouble finding room to read for pleasure what with my required readings for class, but I have been slowly making my way through:

14287.jpg

171126.jpg

And recently finished for class:

33689973.jpg

The last two are more historical perspectives rather than 'entertaining' reads, but all of them are recommended. The, uh, bacchanal scenes in Almost Transparent Blue can be a bit tiresome and seem excessive, but I think the surreal dialogues that surround them are great.

mike23

Haven't read a book in a month almost. My grad classes have really been kicking my ass.

I saw that the sequel to
(click)
came out a week or so ago. So I couldn't resist getting into it.

Excellent books. The first was great and had an amazing battle scene near the end. So far, the second is great also.

The author doesn't shy away from magic like a lot of books do. The main character is constantly learning more about magic and actually using it.

Definitely buy the first one for 99c.

Dresden

Reading these right now, just swapping around as I see fit - helps that two of them are rereads. Mainly getting them done while waiting for summons in Dark Souls, lulz.

BDho2.jpg
AvgNj.jpg

wolf-hall.jpg
Dw0bk.jpg

Ashes

Banned
KrymynalChylde said:
Oh man, I'm really trying to like it...about a third of the way through and it just hasn't grabbed me yet. His lack of quotation marks for speech makes it difficult to follow sometimes. Your saying it gets better is encouraging though.

Perhaps you are reading at your usual pace.

Salazar

Fjordson said:
Wow. This book gets awesome fast.

Yep. Beautiful book, and the tasteful reissue was a goddamn publishing masterstroke.

The World As I Found It, by Bruce Duffy, is another NYRB gem. Different in every respect, save that it is splendid, from The Long Ships.

Boken

Banned
Just finished reading the Mistborn Trilogy:
mistborn-trilogy.jpg

I absolutely loved it and wished it stretched longer.

Now to read:
the-road-cormac-mccarthy.jpg

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Boken said:
Just finished reading the Mistborn Trilogy:
mistborn-trilogy.jpg

I absolutely loved it and wished it stretched longer.

The Alloy of Law comes out in November. A stand-alone novel set 300 years after the end of the trilogy. It's very good.

Juravsky

carpe.jpg

I'm around page 130 and it's great so far. I'm reading it in English (which is not my native language) and it's giving me more trouble that I thought it would, but I think that's making me enjoy it even more.

ultron87

Finished the second Mistborn book.

wellofascension.jpg

The middle of the book dragged on for what seemed like forever. But the end was quite interesting and worth the trip. Should be interesting to see where the series finishes in the third book.

Mumei

I am reading the Penguin Classics edition of The Real Story of Ah-Q and Other Tales of China The Complete Fiction of Lu Xun.

I'm almost finished with the Outcry short stories, with the Hesitation and Old Stories Retold still to go. I'm not really all that familiar with Chinese history or culture at the time these stories take place ("late-imperial China, and the revolutionary Repulic that toppled that last dynasty in 1911"), but I'm starting to like it more as I get the 'point' of it more.

Just got done reading this in one sitting:

Vanity Fair's How a Book is Born: The Making of The Art of Fielding by Keith Gessen

5 out of 5 stars!

Short and sweet. Seriously, read this if you've ever been curious about the book industry or publishing, or not. Even though I work for a book website, I never was curious about the publishing industry or even how a book gets published. A co-worker recommended this to me and it was AWESOME.

Now I'm off to read the book this book was talking about:

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach

While waiting for Murakami's 1Q84, I've read the Sun Also Rises.
2qd5p4x.jpg

Loved every bit of it, especially the characters.

Couple of days ago, one of my friends on Facebook posted a quote by Gibran. After reading about him on wiki, I felt that I must read one of his works. Bought the Prophet. I'm a little more than halfway through and I think by the time I'm done with it, its gonna be one of my favorite books.
f4k57a.jpg

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
nakedsushi said:
I get so mad when I read long books that obviously need to be edited down. It's like I'm personally offended that they didn't get a decent editor.
Whatever you do, don't buy Reamde.

Guileless said:
Whatever you do, don't buy Reamde.

We have a copy floating around the office, so I didn't exactly buy it. While I like Stephenson's books in general, he does suffer from the "OMG JUST EDIT IT DOWN" syndrome. I think I'll wait for when I'm in the right mood before reading it.

thomaser

Still not done with Pynchon's "Against the Day". Around 250 pages to go. Right now, I've taken a pause to read a couple of plays for my studies: "Krapp's Last Tape" by Beckett and "Hamlet" by Shakespeare. Beckett is so awesomely weird.

Almost done reading "Hero of Ages", last book in the Mistborn series.

Someone please tell me I'm imagining all the
Nazi and Hitler allegories?

Woorloog

Banned
MotionBlue said:
Almost done reading "Hero of Ages", last book in the Mistborn series.

Someone please tell me I'm imagining all the
Nazi and Hitler allegories?
The what?
You're imagining it. I think. You need to elaborate, give an example. However Sanderson's annotations make no mention (IIRC, not reading them yet again (read them twice)) to such allegories, so if there are some, they're probably unintentional.

Woorloog said:
The what?
You're imagining it. I think. You need to elaborate, give an example. However Sanderson's annotations make no mention (IIRC, not reading them yet again (read them twice)) to such allegories, so if there are some, they're probably unintentional.

The Lord Ruler is Hitler. He took power by force from people he thought were evil. Just like Hitler violently obtained power in Germany.

He used that force to enslave, destroy or incarcerate those he deemed unworthy. He did this thinking he was doing the "Right" thing, and that "God" was guiding him. Hitler was a devout Christian, and wrote many similar things.

The pits of Hathsin is a concentration camp. People go in, and are never heard or seen from again. They are tortured, staved, and forced to live a terrible existence.

The Terris people are exactly like Germany. Pre-Rashek's Acension they are down trodden and poor people to Alendi's people.

Lord Ruler created the Inquisitors, Kollosus and Kandra. Which together are stongly analogous to what the SS.

I could think of more, given time. Orson Scott Card did exactly the same thing in his Ender's Game series, and its well known Mormonism has curious fascination with Judaism.

MotionBlue said:
The Lord Ruler is Hitler. He took power by force from people he thought were evil. Just like Hitler violently obtained power in Germany.

He used that force to enslave, destroy or incarcerate those he deemed unworthy. He did this thinking he was doing the "Right" thing, and that "God" was guiding him. Hitler was a devout Christian, and wrote many similar things.

The pits of Hathsin is a concentration camp. People go in, and are never heard or seen from again. They are tortured, staved, and forced to live a terrible existence.

The Terris people are exactly like Germany. Pre-Rashek's Acension they are down trodden and poor people to Alendi's people.

Lord Ruler created the Inquisitors, Kollosus and Kandra. Which together are stongly analogous to what the SS.

I could think of more, given time. Orson Scott Card did exactly the same thing in his Ender's Game series, and its well known Mormonism has curious fascination with Judaism.

Whaaaat. This did not occur to me at all. I guess I can see how it makes sense to you. But it's all very general and can fit many things. Like how The Lion King could be a metaphor for Hitler!

way more

brave%20new%20world.jpg

Good stuff. But in the Pantheon on dytopian futures I rate it under 1984. I suppose because the only "good" figure in Brave New World has maybe 20 lines in the entire book and is barely seen.

I've begun A Handmaid's Tale and once completed I'll have read all major pieces of dystopian/apocalyptic fiction.

handmaids-tale.jpg

I also finished my first Niel Gaimen.

1699_400x600.jpg

He has an interesting style. His way of chopping up the narrative and spreading it across eons and planes of existence is enjoyable in comic form. I just have to wonder if it works in his novels.

I don't like unanswered, undeveloped, or side-lined questions and that seems to be his fetish.

ameratsu

I'm now over halfway through Deluxe: How Luxury Lost its Luster.

Really interesting read so far. The transformation from an industry exclusively for the very rich to the "luxury" of today characterized by a drive for profits and mass appeal is fascinating. I'm a guy, I own no goods by luxury brands, but the industry and its history is worth reading about.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
mac said:
brave%20new%20world.jpg

Good stuff. But in the Pantheon on dytopian futures I rate it under 1984. I suppose because the only "good" figure in Brave New World has maybe 20 lines in the entire book and is barely seen.
Probably my next book after I'm finished with Dancing in the Glory of Monsters. God it's taking me a long ass time to get through this for a 340 page book, so much information to absorb to get through it, but I did kinda take a week off from reading it. I need a novel after all the non-fiction I've been reading lately.

These books arrived today from Amazon though, and I'm looking forward to reading them:

sJNa1.jpg

YZOT8.jpg

XDRGH.jpg

Mumei

Yeah, I also didn't think "Hitler" when I read Mistborn.

I finished Ah-Q, and I've since read Catherynne Valente's Yume no Hon: The Book of Dreams and Vladimir Nabokov's Invitation to a Beheading. I thought I didn't really get it, but after browsing through commentary I've learned that I apparently got at least some of it. I liked it either way. Nabokov's prose is pretty.

I have E.M. Forster's A Room with a View, Jaroslav Hasek's The Good Soldier Svejk, and Nabokov's Lolita checked out of the library, plus the fiction books on my bookshelf that I haven't read~

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
mac said:
brave%20new%20world.jpg

It's far less provocative than 1984 but far more realistic in its prescience.

Goody

Finished up Fay, by Larry Brown, which I didn't think I would get to do this month, but I sat and read probably around 200 pages today and finished it. The novel is great, but a little melodramatic in parts. It doesn't help that the book is this is a sort of sequel to, Joe, is very different.

At almost 500 pages, there are a few parts that tended to drag a bit for me, but the last 50 or so pages were very taught and thrilling. Overall, I think pretty highly of it.

Now that all my books are packed in boxes and about ready to go, I don't have much to choose from. I've got a few books of short stories and Daniel Woodrell's Winter's Bone left out. Not to mention, I am getting much more serious about my writing. Any creative writing threads around here?

Top Bottom