• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (October 2014)

Orujv.jpg

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

Support GAF authors:
aidan (Hugo Award winner): http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
AngmarsKing701: Ahvarra: The Heart of the World
cosmicblizzard: Freeze Kill
Elfforkusu: Wrath of Flight
Fidelis Hodie: Derek Agons Slays a Dragon
H.Protagonist: Dead Endings
Plasticine Live Undead
whatevermort: The Explorer

GAF Recommends!

Education/History
Book Recommendations for Particular Areas of Study
History Books
Best Factual Books on War (WWI/WW2 and Beyond)

General/Fiction
Horror Fiction
Books of 2010
Lengthy Books
Summer Reading
Must Read Books That Came Out in the Past 10 Years
Scary Books
Non-western literature
Novels with great world building
Top 5 Books of 2013 as voted by GAF

Sci-fi/Fantasy
NPR Top 100 of Sci-Fi/Fantasy as of 2011
Best Sci-Fi You've Ever Read
Sci-Fi Novel Series
Forgotten Sci-Fi Novels
Space Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books
Fantasy and Science Fiction That is Worth Reading
Fast Pace Action Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books
Dresden's Favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Cyberpunk Fiction
Fantasy Recommendations
Modern Fantasy and Hidden Gems
Fantasy Books
Epic Fantasy
Fantasy Literature
Post-apocalpytic Books
The Best Science Fiction/Space Opera Books

Explore
The 40 Best Sci-Fi Books According to Reddit
100 Books Every High School Student Should Read
100 Greatest Sci Fi Novels
100 Best Novels
The Sci-Fi Masterworks List
Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century

Kindle Links
Free Kindle Books
Amazon Kindle Search - set alerts for free or price drop Kindle books

Online Book Stores
http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books
http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading? (September 2014)
What are you reading? (August 2014)
What are you reading? (July 2014)
What are you reading? (June 2014)
What are you reding? (May 2014)
What are you reading? (April 2014)
What are you reading? (March 2014)
What are you reading? (February 2014)
What are you reading? (January 2014)
What are you reading? (December 2013)
What are you reading? (November 2013)
What are you reading? (October 2013)
What are you reading? (September 2013)
What are you reading? (August 2013)
What are you reading? (July 2013)
What are you reading? (June 2013)
What are you reading? (May 2013)
What are you reading? (April 2013)
What are you reading? (March 2013)
What are you reading? (February 2013)
What are you reading? (January 2013)
What are you reading? (December 2012)
What are you reading? (November 2012)
What are you reading? (October 2012)
What are you reading? (September 2012)
What are you reading? (August 2012)
What are you reading? (July 2012)
What are you reading? (June 2012)
What are you reading? (May 2012)
What are you reading? (April 2012)
What are you reading? (March 2012)
What are you reading? (February 2012)
What are you reading? (January 2012)
What are you reading? (December 2011)
What are you reading? (November 2011)
What are you reading? (October 2011)
What are you reading? (September 2011)
What are you reading? (August 2011)
What are you reading? (July 2011)
What are you reading? (June 2011)
What are you reading? (May 2011)
What are you reading? (April 2011)
What are you reading (March 2011)
What are you reading (February 2011)
What are you reading (January 2011)

What are you reading (December 2010)
What are you reading? (November 2010)

What are you reading? (October 2010)

What are you reading? (September 2010)

What are you reading? (August 2010)
What are you reading? (July 2010)

What are you reading (June 2010)
What are you reading?(May 2010)
What are you reading? (April 2010)
What are you reading? (March 2010)
What are you reading? (February 2010)
What are you reading? (January 2010)
What are you reading? (December 09)
What Are You Reading (November '09)
What are you reading? (October 09)
What are you reading? (September 09)
What are you reading? (August 09)
What are you reading? (July 09)
What are you reading? (June 09)
What are you reading? (May 09)

Pickman

Finally started Cibola Burn despite a few friends' misgivings with the series and my own bad taste after the Faith-pitching of Book 3 in the Expanse series.

Mr.Swag

Banned
My goal for October:
Finish: 'Guns, Germs, and Steel' and 'Capital'.

Also going to start reading Annihilation of Southern Reach trilogy tonight.

I find it hard to read non-fiction when there's so much good fiction out there.

mp1990

Banned
ASoIaF : A Clash of Kings.Taking a lot of time with it,having a lot of tests this month so i don't have much time to read.After finishing it,going to Battle Royale.

Long books aren't what kills 50-50 chances; inconsistency is!

Hahaha, I guess is hold say "My laziness is killing my chances of getting through 50 long books in a year." I had a brilliant summer but now that school is back on, I'm starting to slow.

Lolita is a pretty average sized book.

Eh. I'd wager it's in the top 30 percent over all novels. It's not like it's super long, obviously there are much longer books, but 400 pages is definitely more than average. I think I once read the average book is 64,000 words and it's well above that.

41d4Q1jMjZL.jpg

7 or so chapters in and loving it. I like books on India.

Kite Runner is on the backburner, and I may just watch the Trainspotting movie because the accents in that book are difficult for me without using Wikipedia.

If I get through Shantaram, this is next:

Nakho

My goal for October:
Finish: 'Guns, Germs, and Steel' and 'Capital'.

Also going to start reading Annihilation of Southern Reach trilogy tonight.

I find it hard to read non-fiction when there's so much good fiction out there.

Gun, Germs and Steel is in my wishlist. How did you like it?

I just finished Thinking, Fast and Slow. Incredible book, although a lot of it I had already seen in bits here and there in articles and internet already. But it is nice to have it all in a coherent package. Made me think about embezzling schemes to take advantage of us humans' poor minds, so I guess that is a plus!

Also, am I the only one that likes to do a rotation on which style of book is going to be my next? I found that every time I spent a long time without reading anything was because I got tired of reading the same type of book. So I developed something like this: a non-fiction book usually about science (like Thinking Fast and Slow), then a classic novel that I always wanted to read (like a Hemingway or something), then a science fiction or fantasy novel and then something out of the left field that I found at Amazon deals (Pride and Prejudice was my last pick). And I also change the categories every now and then. It's making it pretty enjoyable!

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Just started reading the Book of Five Rings. It's interesting so far, but I'm only a few pages in.

I just finished In the Dojo and Traditions by Dave Lowry. My thoughts on those are here.

kswiston

Lolita isn't long exactly, but it is definitely dense.

I guess that is true. I read Blood Meridian earlier in the year, and that took me a while to get through despite being a 350ish page book. I think it took me longer to finish that than it did to finish Words of Radiance.

TTG

Catch22.jpg

I had to get acclimated to it, but now that I'm half way through I can say that this book has made me laugh out loud more than any other. Not that it's entirely a comedy, but for now it seems that the depressing stuff has been relegated to the back seat where all it can do is remind the reader it's still there via seldom allusions.

I'm also reading other stuff that's hardly worth mentioning mainly because while I am enjoying Catch 22, it's not a book you can absorb in 100+ page chunks. I just can't work through it at any kind of good pace.

I have to read Jane Eyre for my AP Lit and Comp class. Any tips on how to make it an enjoyable experience instead of a grueling one?

Other than that I've been on and off about reading this:

51aBG9BKpGL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Dense, but never plodding.

I can agree with that. The book just has this sort of momentum, like it's pulling my forward and I can't stop reading. It's a damn fine read.

I guess that is true. I read Blood Meridian earlier in the year, and that took me a while to get through despite being a 350ish page book. I think it took me longer to finish that than it did to finish Words of Radiance.

Another one I read early this year that took a lot of time out of me. Although, to be honest, I'd rather read a bunch of long, brilliant books and fail my goal than read a bunch of short, meaningless ones to succeed. Ideally I can succeed with brilliant books, but if I do fail, at least I'll do it right.

Catch22.jpg

I had to get acclimated to it, but now that I'm half way through I can say that this book has made me laugh out loud more than any other. Not that it's entirely a comedy, but for now it seems that the depressing stuff has been relegated to the back seat where all it can do is remind the reader it's still there via seldom allusions.

I'm also reading other stuff that's hardly worth mentioning mainly because while I am enjoying Catch 22, it's not a book you can absorb in 100+ page chunks. I just can't work through it at any kind of good pace.

I read this sophomore year of high school and I barely understood it. I was bright but not too invested in it since it was for school but just recently I've been itching to sit down and actually READ it this time.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Gun, Germs and Steel is in my wishlist. How did you like it?

I just finished Thinking, Fast and Slow. Incredible book, although a lot of it I had already seen in bits here and there in articles and internet already. But it is nice to have it all in a coherent package. Made me think about embezzling schemes to take advantage of us humans' poor minds, so I guess that is a plus!

Also, am I the only one that likes to do a rotation on which style of book is going to be my next? I found that every time I spent a long time without reading anything was because I got tired of reading the same type of book. So I developed something like this: a non-fiction book usually about science (like Thinking Fast and Slow), then a classic novel that I always wanted to read (like a Hemingway or something), then a science fiction or fantasy novel and then something out of the left field that I found at Amazon deals (Pride and Prejudice was my last pick). And I also change the categories every now and then. It's making it pretty enjoyable!
I like Guns Germ am Steel, but its information overload. It feels like its two whole college semesters of history thrown into one book.

I do a type of genre rotation. I'll read two or three books in the same or similar genre and then ill change up.

I usually just go based on page count. Read a long novel 500 < pages, then after that read a quick 300> pager.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Guns, Germs and Steel's writing is drier than Death Valley in summer.

When it comes to educational non-fiction, the prose needs to be engaging or else I just lose interest. I'd be better off reading a textbook instead.

Haven't touched Mr. Mercedes in a couple weeks, because I've been busy with reviews. Need to resume reading it before the library will want it back.

So, still that and, at a slow pace, 12/22/63

ZiZ

I just finished the Wheel of Time, then started with

Storm Front (The Dresden Files book one)

StormFront.jpg

TTG

Storm Front (The Dresden Files book one)

I remember getting the first 3 in the series when they were a part of the daily deals on Amazon. It's like an irrational ambivalence now every time I scroll past. I should delete them because they're such crap and I'm not going to finish the first, let alone all 3, but I payed 3 dollars!

been on a Predator and Alien kick lately. so i picked up the first vol. of Aliens to get started into the expanded universe.

510PQpT-MFL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

HORRORSHØW

maybe i'll finally finish finnegans wake this time.

“bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk!”

Finished this earlier in the evening. There is some next level mind fuckery going on in here. The superb new protagonist shares many of the same uncertainties as the reader, and you get the feeling that big answers will become clear as the onion is peeled. Only for every answer, three more questions arise.

I love it. It's frustrating. I can't put it down.

Picking up Reamde again after leaving it for half a year and finishing a bunch of books in the time since. That one day in China is still dragging on.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
He'll send you an encrypted thank you note.

TTG

Grimløck;132398291 said:
maybe i'll finally finish finnegans wake this time.

“bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk!”

I took a 30 second look at that book, loled and closed it back up.

Top Bottom