• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you consider Nintendo's most illogical or baffling decision?

Xenoblade

I don't think there's a chance in hell Kojima would've formed a studio to make exclusive Nintendo games. They just don't have the hardware for him to do the kind of things he likes to do.

Switch is an improvement over PS3 and he happily worked on that, and what he's working on for PS4 doesn't seem like it couldn't be done on Switch albeit at lower graphical settings. Ultimately what I'm saying is you're wrong.

Besides, $$$ > all

"LOL yeah right, go ahead and make your own console Sony heh heh"

"Squaresoft wants to make the next Final Fantasy on the Playstation? Well fuck em then"

They literally created their biggest competitor because of greed and their ego

The first was kind of out of their hands. Had they stuck with the original Sony deal, Sony would have gotten the royalties and made a defacto 2nd party out of them.

Canceling the deal with Sony has to top any list.

What world would we be living in, had Nintendo gone through with it?

Sony drinking Nintendo's milkshake Daniel Plainview style.

Not going 3rd party and selling millions more copies of their games.

And heeeeeeeere we go again. 3rd party would mean no Pikmin, no Splatoon, no ARMS, etc.

I only saw it posted a few times, but it definitely has to be partnering with Phillips instead of Sony, right? They could have been the Playstation as opposed to competing with it. What a disaster.

See above. Sony getting software royalties instead of Nintendo.

Component cables and stopping production of the nes classic didn't lose nintendo any money. In fact I would say they probably MADE more money by removing the digital port. With virtual console coming to Switch it doesn't make sense for them to sell a $60 box that comes with 30 games.

The biggest single, major, mistake they made is actually a double whammy. The surprising way in which they terminated their partnership with Sony is easily their biggest mistake. They did it in such a way that it pissed Sony off to the point of creating the console line that has undeniably DESTROYED Nintendo ever since. Combine the launch of the playstation with the fact that Nintendo decided to stick with expensive, proprietary, cartridges and you have Nintendo's single biggest mistake in history.

Lets be honest, N64 vs saturn wasn't even a competition. If Nintendo had partnered with Sony, as they had agreed upon, they would have DOMINATED the 5th generation the same way they did the 8 bit era.

Nope. Sony would have gobbled up Nintendo pretty much.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don't think "motion controls + killer app" is the whole story.

It launched into a world where non-core gamers didn't have a technology toy in their life. Now they all do, in their pocket.

Some large percentage of the Wii's 100m buyers wouldn't be nearly as excited in today's climate of "been there, done that" with phones, tablets and a billion games that aren't for teenage boys. The novelty of a game machine for non-gamer geeks is completely gone.

Man, you're really downplaying how good Wii Sports was.

That would be as fresh today as it was then, and what's in your pocket wouldn't matter a jot.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
32 gig (or 25) of storage on wii u and switch.

Yes I know you can plug in hdds and mem cards but memory is dirt cheap these days, cheaper still if you bought it in bulk like in the millions for Nintendo.

NimbusD

They can be complacent, there's no doubt about that, but if anything Wii U's downfall was directly attributable to attempting to rely on Wii's success, whereas Switch is doing extremely well because it's strived hard to disassociate itself from past glories and establish its own brand.

Id ont think anyone can argue that Wii U was trying to build on what made the Wii great though. Wii's main goal was to simplify accessibility to games. Make the remote look familiar like a tv remote, make motion controls which are more intuitive and less complex looking than a controller with like 20 buttons that require specific dexterity, even the graphics being lesser than other consoles was a measure to make sure the cost was super low for a new console AND it came with a free game to get the ball rolling.

Along comes the Wii U, motion controls are sidelined but still sort of around, a big goofy looking tablet is introduced. It's not intuitive at all, far and away the opposite. Sudenly you have two screens to coordinate between at once (seriosuly how the hell is that supposed to target the same 'blue ocean' audience of the wii who just wanted something fun and easy to pick up and play). The Wii U in all of its years was never able to be dropped in price due to the costly technology of the Wii U gamepad, and it wasn't even really used in many games. So for all that it really just made the whole thing look complicated.

They used the name, sure, they 'kept' motion controls, I guess... but they in no way built on what made the Wii successful. They just got ADD and decided to do something else 'different', and that's like as far as that thought ever went.

It's really insane that the console ever game to be in the way that it did, it's a polar opposite of what came before.

Switch is an improvement over PS3 and he happily worked on that, and what he's working on for PS4 doesn't seem like it couldn't be done on Switch albeit at lower graphical settings. Ultimately what I'm saying is you're wrong.

Besides, $$$ > all

...yeah the Switch is an improvement over the PS3 *now* but not for their respective times. The guy kinda likes to push the boundaries technically of what consoles can do, he wouldn't opt to doing "lower graphical settings" voluntarily if he has options to do otherwise.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Well the pieces aren't in place yet. You really don't think Pokemon Go will act like a gateway drug to a full game when it comes out on Switch? It catapulted the franchise into the public's consciousness again.

Mario is less significant, but this strategy is sound. Nintendo can have their cake and eat it too.
I'm sure it will sell great. And if the point of the conversation is that they will reverse the broader decline of their console sales, maybe so. Just consolidating handheld and console into one category will probably crank up the heat.

But I don't think you'll see Wii/DS levels ever again. I do believe that was a one-off situation for a specific point in the market's history. If you ever want those numbers for Nintendo again, turn to Pokémon GO 2 on mobile. That's where the real masses of casual gamers are now. Some large portion of them will never buy a console again.

Ecotic

Besides, $$$ > all

What he meant was Kojima appears to like working with the leading hardware capabilities of the time. Everyone does. Switch isn't that.

Non-transferrable digital purchases unless you bugged their customer service.

It would be the equivalent of someone needing to call Valve to get access to their games if they signed into Steam on a new computer. What a joke.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Man, you're really downplaying how good Wii Sports was.

That would be as fresh today as it was then, and what's in your pocket wouldn't matter a jot.
No way. You wouldn't get 100m device sales again from any single game.

Much of those 100m were driven by a complete lack of digital gaming options for casuals/family in the market at the time. That doesn't exist anymore and it will never exist again.

It's like trying to get an album to sell as much as Thriller. You could get everyone's attention at once in a previous decade, but now you simply can't. Too many other options for entertainment.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm sure it will sell great. And if the point of the conversation is that they will reverse the broader decline of their console sales, maybe so. Just consolidating handheld and console into one category will probably crank up the heat.

But I don't think you'll see Wii/DS levels ever again. I do believe that was a one-off situation for a specific point in the market's history. If you ever want those numbers for Nintendo again, turn to Pokémon GO 2 on mobile. That's where the real masses of casual gamers are now. Some large portion of them will never buy a console again.

No one knows if we'll see Wii/DS numbers again, but the very fact we are even talking about it coming off the back of the Wii U says at least something is going right here ...

And frankly the exact numbers don't matter as long as the trajectory is right. A healthy Nintendo is good for the industry, and if they can do that by doing their own thing which brings something different rather than just capitulating to what everyone else is doing so much the better.

Regiruler

Year of Luigi

Go fuck yourself Luigi, Samus deserves a fucking decade
You're going to have to elaborate on how a focus on the second biggest character in their biggest franchise was a mistake.
Still can't believe NIntendo did that .
They should be applauded. That's less undecaying waste in a landfill for each person that already has one.

For new technology, sure. It's wasteful otherwise.

DeVeAn

Not giving realistic opportunity to purchase there products as of late. Spotty design in handhelds, faulty joy cons, ruined d-pad on a $80 controller.

GAME DROUGHTS...

No way. You wouldn't get 100m device sales again from any single game.

Much of those 100m were driven by a complete lack of digital gaming options for casuals/family in the market at the time. That doesn't exist anymore and it will never exist again.

It's like trying to get an album to sell as much as Thriller. You could get everyone's attention at once in a previous decade, but now you simply can't. Too many other options for entertainment.

Yeah I'm with you there. The ceiling for ALL video game sales at this point is much lower than it was in 2005-6, before smartphones put gaming in almost every person's pocket, needless to say mobile cannibalized a large portion of what was the Wii base.

Apart from some of the more obvious ones people have said, some of the ones that bugged me the most were:
  1. Tiny Gamecube discs: I kinda liked them, but they unnecessarily limited games in some ways. I remember PS2/Xbox/GC comparisons and the Gamecube was usually better than the PS2 in some ways, but worse in others because they couldn't fit as much space on the disc.
  2. Gamecube C-Stick Nub: Such a dumb choice and made me never want to buy a (Non-Metroid) shooter for the system. Only one Z-button also seemed like a really poorly thought out decision.
  3. Initial 3DS price: Wow did they overcharge for the 3DS at launch. I was stupid enough to fall for it since I buy all Nintendo Handhelds and I thought the glasses-free 3D was pretty cool (still do!), but it was crazy to charge the same price as the Vita with no major games for it for months until the Ocarina of Time remake came out.
  4. Everything about the Wii U console: I know this ones been done to death already, but it was just such a bad decision all around. The name and look being too similar to the Wii, the long stretches without games, the Fisher-Price quality gamepad, the non-capacitive touch screen, the one-generation-behind system power, the short streaming distance, and the high price tag for its entire life. The only thing that saved it was the several great exclusives it had and the fact that Nintendo didn't have another console to fall back on if they had pulled the plug on it early.
The Switch is exactly the direction I've been wanting them to go in for their consoles/handhelds along with dipping their toe into making smaller Mobile games out of some of their franchises, so I'm excited for them for the first time in a long time.

Regiruler

Apart from some of the more obvious ones people have said, some of the ones that bugged me the most were:
  1. Tiny Gamecube discs: I kinda liked them, but they unnecessarily limited games in some ways. I remember PS2/Xbox/GC comparisons and the Gamecube was usually better than the PS2 in some ways, but worse in others because they couldn't fit as much space on the disc.
  2. Gamecube C-Stick Nub: Such a dumb choice and made me never want to buy a (Non-Metroid) shooter for the system. Only one Z-button also seemed like a really poorly thought out decision.
  3. Initial 3DS price: Wow did they overcharge for the 3DS at launch. I was stupid enough to fall for it since I buy all Nintendo Handhelds and I thought the glasses-free 3D was pretty cool (still do!), but it was crazy to charge the same price as the Vita with no major games for it for months until the Ocarina of Time remake came out.
  4. Everything about the Wii U console: I know this ones been done to death already, but it was just such a bad decision all around. The name and look being too similar to the Wii, the long stretches without games, the Fisher-Price quality gamepad, the non-capacitive touch screen, the one-generation-behind system power, the short streaming distance, and the high price tag for its entire life. The only thing that saved it was the several great exclusives it had and the fact that Nintendo didn't have another console to fall back on if they had pulled the plug on it early.
The Switch is exactly the direction I've been wanting them to go in for their consoles/handhelds along with dipping their toe into making smaller Mobile games out of some of their franchises.
Yoy do realize the streaming distance restriction is what allowed its incredibly low latency streaming, right? These aren't ideas, they're side effects of necessities.

Regiruler

Physically releasing Devil's Third.
I blame GAF for that one.

EDIT: Smartphone requirement for the Switch services and having a whole mess of unsynchronized accounts. I'll throw game freak under the bus as well as the number of different accounts I need is unacceptable to get a damn heavy ball.

NimbusD

The Switch is exactly the direction I've been wanting them to go in for their consoles/handhelds along with dipping their toe into making smaller Mobile games out of some of their franchises, so I'm excited for them for the first time in a long time.

Fun fact: there originally wasn't a z button at all until developers were like... uhh wtf nintendo. That's why it's in a place that makes no sense ergonomically for the controller, they just slapped it on. It's been a while since I've thought about it, but now that we have refined controllers with r and l bumpers along with triggers, it's fucking weird to hav ethat there.

Also, they were originally going ot have the big A button be analog, which was sort of why they made the face button placement circle around the big main button. Then they ditched it due to price I guess. Would have been cool.

They should be applauded. That's less undecaying waste in a landfill for each person that already has one.

For new technology, sure. It's wasteful otherwise.

NO they shouldn't. i bought a freaking New3ds and i couldn't use it properly

Where comes this idea that every new 3ds buyer must have bought the first 3ds first ? A vast majority of the buyers DIDN'T

Piggybacking off all the answers about the Virtual Boy:

Throwing Gunpei Yokoi under the bus as a result of the Virtual Boy, and by all accounts treating him like shit for the rest of his time with Nintendo after it.

:(

Can't decide between cartridges on N64 or allowing Virtual Boy to hit the market

Virtual Boy is orders of magnitude worse.

Piggybacking off all the answers about the Virtual Boy:

Throwing Gunpei Yokoi under the bus as a result of the Virtual Boy, and by all accounts treating him like shit for the rest of his time with Nintendo after it.

:(

Yeah, Nintendo's treatment of Yokoi outdoes the Virtual Boy.

AniHawk

the wii u

683665.jpg

686385.jpg

Nothing will ever top them pissing off Sony which in turn made Sony make a video game system of their own in spite, the PlayStation. And they've effectively been getting their ass handed to them by PlayStation ever since the N64.

They essentially created their worst nightmare and gamings biggest colossus. But if it wasn't for that stupid mistake we wouldn't have PlayStation. So it's not really a mistake.

Still, would be interesting to see if Nintendo and Sony were still together due to that deal instead of the falling out. NintendoPlayStation sounds sick.

Sony would have eaten into the royalties Nintendo valued, effectively making a 2nd party out of them. It already would have been Sony's system. Nintendo would have been neutered, and Sony would be no less in the position to go solo on their next system. Sony would have won either way.

Nintendo may have broken off in one of the worst possible ways, but they prevented Sony from stealing more of their money.

Doshin the Giant getting a PAL release always seemed odd to me.

Lack of Mother 3 localization.

Panasonic GameCube.

Purple being the default color for GameCube when they were getting pummeled as a children's brand after the PlayStation era.

Doubling down on GBA Connectivity is our way of addressing lack of online play.

Passing on publishing rights to Conker.

Pulling out of GoldenEye HD.

Going all in on Wii ___ brand. Paid off though!

Brain Training. Paid off as well!

Lack of backlight support on the original GBA.

Somehow trying to convince the public that a thumb strap was an equivalent to the PSP analog joystick.

Convincing SEGA to make GameCube platform of choice for Phantasy Star Online.

KtSlime

That might have made sense 15-20 years ago, but the internet kinda negates that argument IMO. I'm guessing the vast majority of DS Pokémon multiplayer happens online now anyway.

Only if you ignore Japan, where both GameFreak and Nintendo are.

Multiplayer is still a personal phenomena in Japan.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Convincing SEGA to make GameCube platform of choice for Phantasy Star Online.

I thought it was Sonic Team who pushed for that? Similar to the infamous Capcom 5.

And then Nintendo proceeded to ignore online completely, and make the broadband adaptor harder to get than the rarest of Pokemon.

Such a good game though, my #1 actually although I think BOTW has it beat.

Wii U. Stupid name, laughable price, bad 3rd party support, long droughts between 1st party titles, cheap feeling fisher price controller, etc

Nothing else even comes close IMO

Not capitalizing hard on mobile market.

Could have been the leaders in so many area with its IPs.

You'd rather they go crazy on IAP gacha? (Pokemon Shuffle on mobile has higher price tags for all options, i. e. 3500 for a Great Ball that costs 2500 in the 3DS version).

spekkeh

Banned
IMG_3701.jpg

If you look at this and think I'm making a stretch, I don't know what to tell you.

The Wii is an anomaly to a long term trend of decline that has persisted over decades.

I couldn't begin to predict the switch right now.

I imagine it will sell more than Wii U. But keep in mind that it's the heir to both Nintendo handhelds and consoles, so it inherently messes with a direct comparison to its console predecessors.

Will it sell more than Wii U + 3DS combined? Then we'd have a reversal of fortune.

Lies, damned lies, statistics.

There's actually no real difference between NES and SNES if you align it for length of the console generation. There's a slump with N64 and GC but then a rebound (and what a rebound) with Wii. Wii U is the outlier. Nintendo going to sell 200M Switch confirmed.

There's an interesting bit on the Virtual Boy in the Iwata Asks interview on the 3DS. Miyamoto, apparently, was one of the original people who thought 3D goggles would be interesting... as a niche product (he specifically says he thought of it as a 'fun toy'). But when development actually began, he was busy with the Nintendo 64. He therefore didn't have any real input on the project, and Nintendo marketed it as a new handheld platform.

Doesn't really change its status as a failure, but it's interesting that they essentially took one of Miyamoto's ideas and ran with it without him.

KtSlime

Lies, damned lies, statistics.

There's actually no real difference between NES and SNES if you align it for length of the console generation. There's a slump with N64 and GC but then a rebound (and what a rebound) with Wii. Wii U is the outlier. Nintendo going to sell 200M Switch confirmed.

I'd be more interested in seeing a units sold by year chart, I imagine it would look much flatter than this chart.

Oh god... where to start...

The Gamecube Controller face button layout. Playing Street Fighter or Tony Hawks with that thing was incredibly uncomfortable compared to the Playstation, but GIMMICKS.

The stupid Gamecube mini disc gimmick.

The selling of Rare, who at that point had been responsible for killer exclusives in the Nintendo library - was it because they rivalled the first party output too much? Either way, Goldeneye was as much a part of the N64's success as Mario 64, so why they would throw that under a bus is anyone's guess.

The steadfast refusal to create a console with enough horsepower to run the latest third party triple A games convincingly.

Having the fucking nerve to sell a power adaptor as an extra instead of bundling one in the 3DS (or NES Classic over here) box. How anti consumer can you get? I bought my son a 3DS for Christmas well aware of this fact and I still had to hunt high and low to find the official adaptor in a store.

The Virtual Console and eShop. Not only the tendency to reset the content of the VC every console launch (why????) but tying games to consoles instead of accounts in 2017 is appalling. How many times should I pay for Mario 3?

Flooding the market with Animal Crossing Amiibos but neglecting to restock the ones people actually want.

Finally, only Nintendo could make me want a Switch with the mouth watering reveal trailer, then make every single drop of hype I had evaporate via one press conference a couple of months later.

Top Bottom