• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Does Sony Have For The Holidays?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Considering W3 is out next month and TR is exclusive anyways, that's not very competitive.

Unfortunately it's an area I hate that there's even competition in :/

Well to be fair the list looks like this so far:

PS4:
Arkham - June
MGS5 - September
Battlefront - November

XBO:
Witcher 3 - May
Tomb Raider - November?
The Division - November/December??? (or pushed to 2016?)

They're also co-developing it.

Not the same thing.
Tomb Raider will be released on PS4.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
We'll be drowning in indies and digital titles.

And it will be glorious.

PooBone

Well to be fair the list looks like this so far:

PS4:
Arkham - June
MGS5 - September
Battlefront - November

XBO:
Witcher 3 - May
Tomb Raider - November?

LOL, what? Of the six games you listed 5 of them are coming to both platforms.

RE_Player

They're also co-developing it.

Not the same thing.
They aren't literally co-developing the game. They are providing "support" just like any first party does with any third party in terms of dev tool assistance.

It may be 6 months, it may be a year, he'll it may come out as a Tomb Raider compilation at the tail end of this generation but it will come to PC and PS4.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
From a business perspective, and based on what we know so far and how last Christmas' marketing played out: MS seems to have another strong holiday plan, much stronger than Sony's, IMO. This will mark the third Christmas for PS4, and I will at a loss for words if they decide to settle for the same plan they had last year. It was pretty lackluster, tbh.

Does anyone feel they're sitting too comfortably these days? They're obviously not as hungry as the second place holder.

From a business perspective, perhaps Sony is taking a more global view and spreading their releases across the year. This may also be good for their big third party partners as it means less conflict of interest regarding marketing first or third party games at the same time.

Whereas maybe MS is taking a more US&UK centric view and piling in disproportionately in Q4

Even if Sony still had Uncharted, they'd still be relatively light on releases in comparison to MS in Q4, which does suggest a different approach to first party publishing

PooBone

Tomb Raider will be released on PS4.
We'll see. Mark my words and remember this conversation.

As I understand it Squeenix was looking for co-publishing money. Don't forget that the first Tomb Raider sold well under expectations, despite selling a shit-ton.

Fuckin idiots, they are.

You seem to think I am talking exclusives when I am talking marketing rights and ALL of those games are coming to both consoles.

Ah, gotchya! Do you think it matters to consumers who already own one platform or the other, though? I don't, personally. And in terms of exclusives, Sony is truly F'd unless they've got a big E3 show waiting.

RE_Player

LOL, what? Of the six games you listed 5 of them are coming to both platforms.
He's talking about marketing deals/exclusive content deals. Tomb Raider falls into that category because it is being marketed by Microsoft along with the benefit of launching first on Xbox.

DNAbro

As I understand it Squeenix was looking for co-publishing money. Don't forget that the first Tomb Raider sold well under expectations, despite selling a shit-ton.

Fuckin idiots.

Lol trust Kagari on this

xxracerxx

I mean your missing madden, Fifa and COD

Sorry, I don't care about the yearlies.

Fuckin idiots, they are..

Sorry, you are just wrong.

Ah, gotchya! Do you think it matters to consumers who already own one platform or the other, though? I don't, personally. And in terms of exclusives, Sony is truly F'd unless they've got a big E3 show waiting.

Again, we are not talking people who already own the consoles...I am discussing marketing rights to attract new buyers.

RE_Player

Fuckin idiots.
Mark my words by the tone of your responses and childish attitude towards other user's replies you won't be on the forum when Tomb Raider is announced for PC and PS4.

xxracerxx

So you conveniently leave out 3 of the biggest games of the year which will probably sell more than all the games listed( minus BF3)

I didn't conveniently leave anything off, I didn't even think about those until you posted about it.

But here you go:

PS4:
Arkham - June
MGS5 - September
Battlefront - November

XBO:
Witcher 3 - May
Madden - August
Tomb Raider - November?
Call of Duty - November

Not sure who has Fifa rights, but that releases in September.

RE_Player

I didn't conveniently leave anything off, I didn't even think about those until you posted about it.

But here you go:

PS4:
Arkham - June
MGS5 - September
Battlefront - November

XBO:
Witcher 3 - May
Madden - August
Tomb Raider - November?
Call of Duty - November

I think Sony might have Mad Max marketing deal since it was revealed at their conference. Could have changed though.

Yes. First-party just means funded and published by a publisher that is part of Sony Computer Entertainment / Microsoft / Nintendo.

There are internally developed first-party games by subsidiary studios and externally developed first-party games by independent studios.

No. No no no no no.

I can't believe Microsoft got this absurdity to stick, when they decided to redefine first party because they didn't like barely having any, and were tired of people talking about how little they had..

First party is owned and developed by the platform holder. Bloodborne is not first party. Nor is Halo 1-3, or the Gears of War trilogy.

I mean your missing madden, Fifa and COD

We don't know who's got the sports games yet do we?

The sports games tend to flip flop about when it comes to exclusive marketing.

I reckon Sony could have AssCreed back this year and there's certainly the opportunity of a racing game like NFS to align with Sony too.

Was Destiny effect on PS4 sales last September laughable? Microsoft didn't think it was when they tried to advertise it despite being forbidden to do so.

Destiny and to a lesser degree Watch_Dogs have probably sold just as many PS4s as any actual exclusive has. So I think listing them is valid.

Sorry for the belated reply.

The marketing deals are relevant to your context. As for the OP/title however, he/she is mentioning an uncertain exclusive lineup for the holidays. What's third party marketing deals got to do with an exclusive holiday lineup?

I'm sure there's a correlation between the success of the PS4 and the likelihood of more exclusives (Or if you're cynical, you could argue it'd mean less exclusives). For me personally, I don't give two shits about NPD and playing list wars with third party marketing deals. I only care about the games/exclusives. Hopefully that didn't come off as overly abrasive, just quickly replying.

Lol trust Kagari on this

Honestly, the TR thing isn't even worth talking at this point. It's really boils down to how much you trust someone who had never shied away from affirming lifetime console exclusivity if they've got it.

I'll just wait till the GAF thread next year where RotTR is announced for PS4.

But here you go:

PS4:
Arkham - June
MGS5 - September
Battlefront - November

XBO:
Witcher 3 - May
Madden - August
Tomb Raider - November?
Call of Duty - November

Still forgetting Assassin's Creed

W.S.

Sony wins Marketing hands down!
Microsoft...all that money and you pick the less meaningful IP.
I wouldn't call them less meaningful, they're all potentially good sellers and all of the games are coming to XBO anyway.

We should really make a "What does MS have for the first 9 months of the year" thread
Not really necessary, KI Season 2 has been ongoing, Screamride and Ori are out.

After that it's Project Spark's Conker's Big Reunion, State of Decay, Fable Legends, Forza Motorsport 6, Halo 5 Guardians, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Gigantic so it's not like there's nothing to look forward to.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
having no must-own exclusives until the launch of bloodborne didn't hurt sony before, i don't see why it would start hurting them now

MrS

Banned
That's Microsoft.

Sony will be fine during the holidays. They had nothing last year but they're still on top. There's still plenty of time for new announcements too, obviously.

DNAbro

No. No no no no no.

I can't believe Microsoft got this absurdity to stick, when they decided to redefine first party because they didn't like barely having any, and were tired of people talking about how little they had..

First party is owned and developed by the platform holder. Bloodborne is not first party. Nor is Halo 1-3, or the Gears of War trilogy.

I mean it's effectively the same.

Duxxy3

Honestly, the TR thing isn't even worth talking at this point. It's really boils down to how much you trust someone who had never shied away from affirming lifetime console exclusivity if they've got it.

I'll just wait till the GAF thread next year where RotTR is announced for PS4.

I'm expecting it to be announced at around this time next year.

EatMyFace

Banned
With Battlefront trailer confirming the Playstation marketing deal and think that spells the end of this thread, especially since it has turned into a list war.

/MODS PLEASE CLOSE

Newman96

Remember people making the point that exclusives not necessarily sell consoles, it's the big multi-plats that do it. Sony will be fine with a couple of exclusives and some marketing deals.

No. No no no no no.

Bloodborne is first party, the IP is Sony owned and is a collaboration between From/Studio Japan.

RE_Player

Sorry for the belated reply.

The marketing deals are relevant to your context. As for the OP/title however, he/she is mentioning an uncertain exclusive lineup for the holidays. What's third party marketing deals got to do with an exclusive holiday lineup?

I'm sure there's a correlation between the success of the PS4 and the likelihood of more exclusives (Or if you're cynical, you could argue it'd mean less exclusives). For me personally, I don't give two shits about NPD and playing list wars with third party marketing deals. I only care about games.
Debating about exclusives would have been a one page thread. We know what has been announced and we are still months away from E3, where the tides could change drastically. The discussion has evolved into what Sony thinks it has for the holidays, including the sales locks they think they have by partnering with certain games.

I think it's a much more interesting conversation instead of pages of "What if Gureilla has a game? Or maybe Sony Bend has a game!?!"

Top Bottom