• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Does Sony Have For The Holidays?

Kyoufu

Whenever launching at a market friendly price point sony has always had price drops in decrements of $50 and that's going to be the case this time as well. Maybe a 299$ bundle will drop in 2016 or 17 with a redesigned ps4...would make much more sense.

PS2's first price drop was $100, from $299 to $199.

yazanov

Banned
$299 is just Sony throwing money down the drain. You don't do that when you are in the financial strife that Sony is in. Especially not when you are already outselling your competitor by almost 2:1.

I see $349 with some heavy game bundling this year, and a $299 'Slim' next year.

Of course, I could be wrong.

That is where PS+ comes into play and selling software to all those new millions of PS4 consumes. Sony wants people to adopt the PS4 sooner rather than later. IMO a $50 price cut is actually throwing money away in the long term by not striking the iron while its hot now.

Eggbok

Drop that GT7 bomb Sony.
neS5Og4.gif

the combo of your avatar and that gif is perfect.

They will make people think Star Wars is their big Holiday Game by using that extreme Destiny marketing.

Aside from that they also have some qualitity Exclusive Games like Dragon Quest, Persona or Ratchet and Clank (no systemseller, but will pleasure the Core and Japano Fans)

I could also imagine a Gravity Rush Remaster for this Holiday + the Uncharted Collection

The problem is they can't really announce a bundle yet because that could really kill sales of the console up till November. They've got Batman to deal with first then come July/August announce an MGS bundle and then they'll announce the Star Wars one afterwards.

It would be the same as announcing a price drop now for November. It would totally kill sales.
what do you mean? the destiny bundle was announced long before its release, and batman's was announced ahead of time as well

CoD's success would say no.
I know what you're getting at here, but cod still always includes a single player campaign. although it's difficult to say if cod's sales would be on a slight decline if they decided to not have campaigns anymore.
What do you mean exactly?

Tekken is of course made by Bandai Namco, not by SCE. It's multi-platform.
sf5 is also not sce, and rotr is also not mS (well, publishing, yes).

Dredd97

$299 is just Sony throwing money down the drain. You don't do that when you are in the financial strife that Sony is in. Especially not when you are already outselling your competitor by almost 2:1.

I see $349 with some heavy game bundling this year, and a $299 'Slim' next year.

Of course, I could be wrong.

must be terrible for Sony to do everything on a shoe string budget...

There not as broke as you think...

Maybe Halo sells well, but that does kind of make Microsoft a one trick pony. The constant release of Forza, Halo and Gears shows a total reliance on these franchises with Fable in a distant fourth.

What their console has in franchise strength they lose dramatically in diversity.
constant releases? what are nintendo's IPs then?

Mendax

I have already here in this very same thread.
After that it's Project Spark's Conker's Big Reunion, State of Decay, Fable Legends, Forza Motorsport 6, Halo 5 Guardians, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Gigantic so it's not like there's nothing to look forward to.

all well and good but why do those 3 xbox indies count as something yet the 5 indies launchin on ps every week count as nothing..?

constant releases? what are nintendo's IPs then?

also "constant releases" yet in a variety of 10 instead of 3

edit; speaking of which, I still don't see halo doing well after halo4, xbone, mcc and beta5 disasters/whining times.

also "constant releases" yet in a variety of 10 instead of 3
how does that make it better though? if anything it's worse. nintendo is doing the same thing you're saying that mS is doing, only with 7 more franchises.

The same. But the post I replied too compared Microsoft to Sony. I didn't really take Nintendo into account. If I had to describe them it'd simply be:

Milking-it.jpg
haha, wow. that is a good picture, whoever drew it. that cow's face though

W.S.

all well and good but why do those 3 xbox indies count as something yet the 5 indies launchin on ps every week count as nothing..?
I've never discounted indies so maybe you're referring to someone else?

I'm actually quite jealous of the amount of indy and Japanese support the PS4 has compared to the One. Even if Sony doesn't exactly have a whole lot of AAA games for the year (and this is before E3 2015 mind you) there's still a lot of cool games to play all through the holidays including Bloodborne and likely some DLC. I'm particularity interested in Tomorrow Children, the Ratchet and Clank Remake, and Rime just to name a few.

ShamePain

Banned
Naughty Gods crushed your puny Halo with The Last of Us and to be fair, you're wrong. Halo continued from XBOX into XBOX 360 and now into XBOX One as the forefront title of the console, much like Mario for Nintendo.

EDIT: Just to add, TLoU hit the 7 million market just before the PS4 remaster release. The PS4 remaster reportedly sold 1.5 million in August 2014. That game must be over the 10 million mark by now.

But Sony have had to change their console frontline with each generation. You didn't see Crash Bandicoot headlining PS3, did you?

Maybe Halo sells well, but that does kind of make Microsoft a one trick pony. The constant release of Forza, Halo and Gears shows a total reliance on these franchises with Fable in a distant fourth.

What their console has in franchise strength they lose dramatically in diversity.

To be fair Uncharted was the head franchise on PS3, and it is on PS4. God of War is also incredibly derivative and is gonna be on all sony consoles other than ps1/vita.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've never discounted indies so maybe you're referring to someone else?

I'm actually quite jealous of the amount of indy and Japanese support the PS4 has compared to the One. Even if Sony doesn't exactly have a whole lot of AAA games for the year (and this is before E3 2015 mind you) there's still a lot of cool games to play all through the holidays including Bloodborne and likely some DLC. I'm particularity interested in Tomorrow Children, the Ratchet and Clank Remake, and Rime just to name a few.

Japanese support was always likely for the PS4 (the amount of it isn't certain due to how many developers are emphasising mobile), but indies are their real win IMO. Nicely complements sony's own relatively esoteric first party output

W.S.

Naughty Gods crushed your puny Halo with The Last of Us and to be fair, you're wrong. Halo continued from XBOX into XBOX 360 and now into XBOX One as the forefront title of the console, much like Mario for Nintendo.

EDIT: Just to add, TLoU hit the 7 million market just before the PS4 remaster release. The PS4 remaster reportedly sold 1.5 million in August 2014. That game must be over the 10 million mark by now.

But Sony have had to change their console frontline with each generation. You didn't see Crash Bandicoot headlining PS3, did you?

Regardless of how you feel about them Crimson Dragon, Max, Ori, Screamride, Powerstar Golf, LocoCycle (*sigh*), Kalimba, & Project Spark are all Microsoft owned new IP's so they've released new and diverse games even if they're not in the AAA space.

For the newer AAA stuff we'll have to wait for Quantum Break and Scalebound and who knows what else they announce at E3.

Mikey Jr.

I feel like Sony is going to rely heavily on third parties this holiday to prevent Xbone from gaining momentum.

A price drop would help. A price drop and uncharted would have been excellent, but alas, this is where we are.

I remember last holiday saying "there is no way Sony repeats holiday 2014 in 2015. No fucking way". And yet here we are.

Unless Sony pulls some rabbit out of their hat at e3, I'm predicting another Xbone slaughtering in nov/Dec.

I mean, halo 5, tomb raider, and forza? Fuckin come on. No chance. Plus Xbone dropping (tempoarily) to 299?

But like I said, ps4 at 299, plus some marketing deals, some smart bundles, some hopefully third party exclusives could definitely help Sony out. But man, that uncharted delay was a killer.

Regardless of how you feel about them Crimson Dragon, Max, Ori, Screamride, Powerstar Golf, LocoCycle (*sigh*), Kalimba, & Project Spark are all Microsoft owned new IP's so they've released new and diverse games even if they're not in the AAA space.

For the newer AAA stuff we'll have to wait for Quantum Break and Scalebound and who knows what else they announce at E3.

Gamers don't buy consoles for those games and they want big AAA games (or) at least in AA budget levels but the above MS games are close to Indie level. Look at Sony new IP's in PS4 so far and compare them with XB1 you will see very big difference.

Fat4all

Banned
I said it a few days ago, Rime and The Witness are going to be my heavy hitters. CoD and all the other annualized franchises are cracker jacks for the kids.

We REALLY need release dates on Rime and The Witness, it feels like we've been waiting forever for those games.

Boke1879

Off topic.

With just two months to E3, shouldn't there be GAF insider teasing by now or is it too early?

A bit early but after last year GAF insider teaser really needs to be put to a minimum. EVERYONE hyped the MS press conference as the 2nd coming. Aside from the few games they showed at the end we pretty knew what hey were showing.

Adachi

Banned
To be fair Uncharted was the head franchise on PS3, and it is on PS4. God of War is also incredibly derivative and is gonna be on all sony consoles other than ps1/vita.

It is for now, wouldn't surprise me in the least if ND finish Uncharted with the 4th entry and then move on to TLOU 2, a game that has all the potential to be quite a bit bigger than Uncharted has ever been. Maybe we're even lucky enough and ND makes a new IP this gen as well (maybe Savage Starlight :p)... the thought of getting 3 different IPs from ND this gen almost makes me drool, lol.

ShamePain

Banned
It is for now, wouldn't surprise me in the least if ND finish Uncharted with the 4th entry and then move on to TLOU 2, a game that has all the potential to be quite a bit bigger than Uncharted has ever been. Maybe we're even lucky enough and ND makes a new IP this gen as well (maybe Savage Starlight :p)... the thought of getting 3 different IPs from ND this gen almost makes me drool, lol.

Do you think they will be able to repeat the whole 10/10 GOTG thing that happened with TLOU? Not saying that they can't, but having another game based on emotion in the same franchise would diminish the impact of the first game in my eyes. Unless it's radically different I'd prefer them leave TLOU as a one off thing.

Boke1879

To be honest, I don't think Rime will release this year and that makes me sad.

after mgsv persona 5 should be enough for ps4

It's honestly amazing to me how this narrative picks up steam. It seems people ignore the games Sony plans in releasing this summer and the games they've already released.

Sure the games Sony has coming up USF4, FFX/X2 HD, GOW3 remaster, Tearaway Unfolded, Until Dawn. Those games aren't going to push consoles on their own but it is constant content which is amazing.

Add that to the marketing deals they have with batman, mgsv and battlefront I think Sony has a winning recipe.

Boke1879

What's to tease? If there was anything big happening at E3 this year, insiders would have been dropping hints already like they did last year.

I'm sure there will be surprises buy last year insiders and people in general were making a big deal about the MS Presser claiming they would show tons of megatons and IMO it was a huge letdown because we knew pretty much the whole conference.

Now I don't think we'll get teases until next month

I'm not so sure Sony even needs a big first-party AAA title this fall. I mean, of course, it can only help but there's plenty of exclusives coming for the PS4 in the fall that aren't owned by Sony that I think they'll get by fine.

Especially if you are a fan of Japanese games, the PS4's fall line up is fantastic.

Apathy

I feel like Sony is going to rely heavily on third parties this holiday to prevent Xbone from gaining momentum.

A price drop would help. A price drop and uncharted would have been excellent, but alas, this is where we are.

I remember last holiday saying "there is no way Sony repeats holiday 2014 in 2015. No fucking way". And yet here we are.

Unless Sony pulls some rabbit out of their hat at e3, I'm predicting another Xbone slaughtering in nov/Dec.

I mean, halo 5, tomb raider, and forza? Fuckin come on. No chance. Plus Xbone dropping (tempoarily) to 299?

But like I said, ps4 at 299, plus some marketing deals, some smart bundles, some hopefully third party exclusives could definitely help Sony out. But man, that uncharted delay was a killer.

Yeah...."slaughtering" ...right. Not like Sony is ahead 2:1 vs Microsoft and not like their "slaughtering" for two months actually did anything. This mentality of playing for the holiday cause that's the only thing that matters is the dumbest thing ever. Oh and let's not forget they got "slaughtered" in the US only, or that they were basically giving away xboxes at a huge loss plus with up to three games.

First party games are not the driving force behind a console winning. This holiday season sony has a marketing deal with battlefront. Considering the new star wars movie will be out and pushed hard by Disney, the association that a start wars game being out at the same time plus the heavy marketing Sony will put behind it like they did with destiny is going to sell a ton for them.

All the fake concern around Sony constantly from people is getting as annoying as "PlayStation has no gamez".

EGM1966

On the evidence so far I'm not sure Sony even need to worry about MS winning Nov/Dec in US. XB1 having terrific Nov/Dec didn't stop PS4 taking 2014 in US anyway. So far in 2015 PS4 seems to be fairly easily rebuilding the gap and XB1 momemtum from holiday sales has not carried over into the new year. At this point after two holida periods PS4 remains ahead in US and way ahead worldwide.

I strongly suspect Sony don't care if MS temporarily make up some ground in one territory so long as current trends continue and they remain ahead overall.

People keep thinking the XB1 is suddenly going to get some big injection of momentum but after all the deals, exclusives and considering how momentum dropped right away in 2015 (even moreso when they tried to briefly restore RRP) I'm just not seeing it myself.

I reckon overall positions and trends are pretty much settled already baring a miracle and that's a wild card the odds are against.

Boke1879

I wonder how Sony would feel if Battlefront gets pushed back to Q1-Q2 2016 if they don't have a big IP for the end of the year.

I don't think Battlefront misses its release date. I wouldn't even be shocked if the game is close to being done and all that's left is optimization. Seeing as they showed alpha ps4 footage to press and attendees and they even claim the game looks great.

Adachi

Banned
Do you think they will be able to repeat the whole 10/10 GOTG thing that happened with TLOU? Not saying that they can't, but having another game based on emotion in the same franchise would diminish the impact of the first game in my eyes. Unless it's radically different I'd prefer them leave TLOU as a one off thing.
Well it's going to be very difficult that's for sure and they should consider telling a completely different story in the same universe instead of trying to add to Joel and Ellie's story imo. But at this point it's really not about what we prefer or not, the sequel to TLOU is pretty much inevitable, the first game was already extremely successful on its own and is still bundled for free with every PS4 sold in the US, you don't create such a huge playerbase for your game to then not work with it, that'd just be insane.

W.S.

Gamers don't buy consoles for those games and they want big AAA games (or) at least in AA budget levels but the above MS games are close to Indie level. Look at Sony new IP's in PS4 so far and compare them with XB1 you will see very big difference.
I wasn't comparing the XBO's new IP's to Sony's nor was I equating them to AAA titles. I posted those games because the poster I quoted said MS leans too much on those tried and true IP's when they've been releasing new ones all along.

Hiltz

I wouldn't expect Sony to do a PS4 price cut this year. It seems unnecessary. I would think that not even Sony's 1st party support has been even the biggest three factors to the PS4's success anyway.

Top Bottom