• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Does Sony Have For The Holidays?

Megatron

That was because of. the insane deals, not the games. The exclusives didn't sell that much.

Right. All that matters is who has the cheapest system. This is of course why the WiiU is doing so well.

Doesn't matter how cheap they made the system, If it didn't have the games people wanted, they wouldn't buy it. Holiday last year, Microsoft had the better games and won those two months.

Sony is doing a much better job staggering their releases which is a reason they win all the other months. Microsoft is basically ignoring January through August and they are losing those months.

Right. All that matters is who has the cheapest system. This is of course why the WiiU is doing so well.

Doesn't matter how cheap they made the system, If it didn't have the games people wanted, they wouldn't buy it. Holiday last year, Microsoft had the better games and won those two months.

Sony is doing a much better job staggering their releases which is a reason they win all the other months. Microsoft is basically ignoring January through August and they are losing those months.

They had the same games. Xbox was just way cheaper. Sunset Overdrive amd Forza Horizon 2 didn't do anything in NPD. MCC did good, but not as good as expected.

Wii U is missing all the major 3rd party games so that is no even close to a good comparison

Babyshams

Disgaea 5 in October, should be enough to counter Halo 5.

Are you serious?

I would bet dollars to donuts that as a series Disgaea has maybe 5 million units sold whereas no main Halo release has less than 5 million units sold.

It's not a question of what is a better game to you or what would get you to buy one console over another but what is proven to draw money and push consoles.

The third party marketing deal stuff is fucking laughable, doubly so when people are continually listing them as if they mean something.

Sony's Q1 2015 was impressive, regardless of how trash The Order was. Hopefully pumping out good Q1 content doesn't leave Q3-4 short. One thing going for the PS4 is the third party Japanese exclusives (Disgaea, Persona and the various shared Vita games etc).

The third party marketing deal stuff is fucking laughable, doubly so when people are continually listing them as if they mean something.

Sony's Q1 2015 was impressive, regardless of how trash The Order was. Hopefully pumping out good Q1 content doesn't leave Q3-4 short. One thing going for the PS4 is the third party Japanese exclusives (Disgaea, Persona and the various shared Vita games etc).

Was Destiny effect on PS4 sales last September laughable? Microsoft didn't think it was when they tried to advertise it despite being forbidden to do so.

Sony did sat they were going to stop announcing games far away from release so that will get put to the test at E3.

Doesn't mean they'll start announcing huge games and release them within 5-6 months.

I'm thinking more Bloodborne, where it originally was slated for Feb, which gave it a 9 months marketing cycle.

Megatron

They had the same games. Xbox was just way cheaper. Sunset Overdrive amd Forza Horizon 2 didn't do anything in NPD. MCC did good, but not as good as expected.

Wii U is missing all the major 3rd party games so that is no even close to a good comparison

How did it do compared to other ps4 exclusives? How many did it sell? According to chartzzzz (yes, i know) it sold 1 million copies in its first week. That doesnt sound bad to me.

ShogunX

Don't worry about it. I'm sure people will be able to enjoy the marketing deals, cheer over the bundles and praise the better performing multi platform games.

On a less sarcastic note - If Persona 5 does make it this year then that alone is a pretty big deal. The only slight downside to that would be it pushing every other game I own further down my backlog list because that motherfucker would be straight in at number one.

Floody

Destiny and to a lesser degree Watch_Dogs have probably sold just as many PS4s as any actual exclusive has. So I think listing them is valid.

Megatron

Doesn't mean they'll start announcing huge games and release them within 5-6 months.

I'm thinking more Bloodborne, where it originally was slated for Feb, which gave it a 9 months marketing cycle.

If they are going to do that they need to drop e3 and announce their games in february/march the same year, at least for the holiday titles.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
General consumers buy consoles for third party games and a handful of exclusives. Downplaying third party is dumb as shit.

kyser73

So you don't think a $175 price difference had any influence whatsoever over the sales outcome last Xmas?

Really? OK. Would you say the Xbone has the better catalogue still? I mean by your logic it has the better library and is cheaper than the PS4, so should still be selling better, correct?

Which would be why PS4 outsold it by 100K+ units in March NPD, and is sitting at around a 2:1 sales ration worldwide, with its worse games and higher price.

This is going to be a long generation for you, isn't it?

If they are going to do that they need to drop e3 and announce their games in february/march the same year, at least for the holiday titles.

I'm only referring to new IPs though.

I could easily see established IPs just "boom, E3 reveal with game play, holiday that same year!"

crazyprac

So last holiday:

Sony had it's lead cut from ~1000K to ~500K over November/December (US numbers obviously).

This was achieved by its main competitor retailing at anything up to an effective $175 value discount (price cut + store vouchers), whereas Sony didn't drop unit price, they bundled software.

March NPD has - according to a creamy sweet gentleman - seen PS4 outsell the combined total of WiiU and Xbone. The gap at February was up to ~680K, so it could now be up to anything between 700-800K.

In Q1CY, and without a price drop.

TL:DR - in 3 months of what isn't a 'peak sales' period, PS4 has made back up to 60% of the market lead it lost in 2 months over the peak sale holiday period against an aggressively discounting competitor. There are another 6 months of 'preseason' including the release of Batman and MGSV which PS4 is lead platform for co-marketing on.

Yup, no having any pre-E3 announced big exclusives and possible co-marketing/lead platform deal with one of the biggest IPs around is going to lead to a bumpy rest of the year for Sony.

I stated this already (less information due actually wanting the op to research first) and the op just skips it so its very telling.

microsoft basically gave away xbones last holiday.

3rd party games are the sellers. so yes, the difference in price was the x-factor last holiday. or do you actually think had ps4 come down the same price as xbone, that xbone will still outsell it?

also, those games don't run away. by your logic, xbone should still be selling because they have "the better games". guess what? curiously, those two months when microsoft gave away xbones are the months they outsold ps4.

Hugstable

Banned
I'm not expecting very much at all this year sadly after UC4 got delayed first party wise. 3rd party there might be a few good games, but I mainly focus on 1st party, so it'll be intersting to see what they put up as their holiday game. Don't think it'll be anything too big since I don't see something getting announced at E3 getting released that fast (if anything if may have the Bloodborne style release schedule).

General consumers buy consoles for third party games and a handful of exclusives. Downplaying third party is dumb as shit.

topic does say "What does Sony have for the holidays, so I think many are trying to discuss 1st party?

AAA new IPs almost always have more than a 6 month marketing cycle. More often than it's, it's a year even.
Sony's gotten more aggressive this gen, who's to say they don't play a strong hand. I fell like I read numerous GAF insider post before I was a member that indicated GG's game would be shown at E3 and GDC last year. Neither happened, but maybe SNE is/was playing their cards close to the chest.

Hate it or Like it, Sony is going to promote Destiny: Comet Expansion.

nah...probably a trailer on psx or e3, but they're not going to push it as much. they probably already have 3rd party deals in place. one being batman, and most likely battlefront. don't know about mgs5 though, but that could be huge as well.

it's hard to gauge though, since it looks like ea is still on bed with ms.

they'll push no man's sky, and witness. until dawn, and hopefully persona 5 which is a potential million seller.

oh and most likely asscreed.

KyleP29

Not quite sure what they have planned but if their rumored summer lineup stays as it is right now (Journey, Until Dawn, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, and Tearaway) and none of those get shifted towards fall i think it suggests Sony are confident with what they have for their holiday lineup instead of trying to pad it out with one or two of these game.

Sony's gotten more aggressive this gen, who's to say they don't play a strong hand. I fell like I read numerous GAF insider post before I was a member that indicated GG's game would be shown at E3 and GDC last year. Neither happened, but maybe SNE is/was playing their cards close to the chest.

I hope so. I'm just stating why I'm sceptical of a this fall release for a new AAA IP announcement at e3.

Hugstable

Banned
they'll push no man's sky, and witness. until dawn, and hopefully persona 5 which is a potential million seller.

oh and most likely asscreed.

P5 is something I'm certain is not coming out this year in the west, so I feel that it may not actually be at E3, if it is it won't be much or may be material shown again from a JP trailer like they've always done. The game has barely even had any info outside of that first real gameplay reveal trailer for JP, and the game doesn't even have a date in JP yet. It's 2016 for sure in west

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
P5 is something I'm certain is not coming out this year in the west, so I feel that it may not actually be at E3, if it is it won't be much or may be material shown again from a JP trailer like they've always done. The game has barely even had any info outside of that first real gameplay reveal trailer for JP, and the game doesn't even have a date in JP yet. It's 2016 for sure in west
Why do you think P5 won't make it?

Hugstable

Banned
Why do you think P5 won't make it?

Because the game doesn't even have a JP release date yet, there hasn't been much info shown, I see the game being a late release for JP and Persona games have usually had a good 4-5 months inbetween localization. If somehow the game was releasing this summer in JP much like P4 did, I could see it making this year and E3, but as it is right now, I just can't see it happening, no matter how much I would love it too.

Top Bottom