• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Does Sony Have For The Holidays?

Shabad

Yeah I don't think TLG will have the mainstream appeal you think it will have.

If it ever happens, The Last Guardian will be a megaton.

It is already legendary really, but if it does come out eventually, and is as good as we expect it to be, it's gonna be glorious. We live in a time where reviews and buzz can sell a shit ton of games, and The Last Guardian is almost guaranteed to have both. If it ever comes out that is.

Real talk, with the recently revealed summer line-up, this tentatively looks to be Sony's exclusive line-up this fall :

- Ratchet & Clank Redux
- No Man's Sky
- Dragon Quest : Heroes
- Disgaea 5
- Persona 5
- Rime
- Alienation
- Tomorrow Children
- Shadow of the Beast
- Fat Princess Adventures
- Drawn to Death
- Master Thief Collection (rumoured)

Facism

Real talk, with the recently revealed summer line-up, this tentatively looks to be Sony's exclusive line-up this fall :

- Ratchet & Clank Redux
- No Man's Sky
- Disgaea 5
- Persona 5
- Rime
- Alienation
- Tomorrow Children
- Shadow of the Beast
- Drawn to Death

Looking good to me.

Feels like they have pushed back ratchet for an holiday release? Not sure if they got any AAA surprise for this holiday but they have game like Alienation, Everybody's gone to the rapture, shadow beast, Wild and many other I have forgot to mention. I'm sure some of them are 2015 release. I honestly think we will see last guardian, the moment they show it they have to have a release date just few months away and if they don't show it this year well then it is absolutely gone. Maybe an uncharted collection. Sony will mostly focus on third party games during this holiday like last year.
Wake up sony

delSai

Let it Die is supposed to come out this year as well. Not that many care about it... but it's a Ps4 exclusive and im fucking hyped for it.

Deku Tree

It's a safe bet that Sony has a marketing deal with exclusive content for Destiny's expected Comet expansion this fall. I know how GAF gaming feels but Destiny's sales have been extremely good from what I can tell.

- Ratchet & Clank Redux
- No Man's Sky
- Disgaea 5
- Persona 5
- Rime
- Alienation
- Tomorrow Children
- Shadow of the Beast
- Drawn to Death

You can add Killstrain to the list.

Pretty sure there's at least 2 big titles we don't know about. I say lets wait for E3 then we can speculate.

I know i will be busy playing big games this fall/winter, Metal Gear alone will take most of my time. Hopefully, an Uncharted collection since Uncharted 4 is delayed. I miss some good Uncharted action, especially multiplayer, love multi in Uncharted !

Bluenoser

Sony will be fine.

MS practically gave away XB1 last holiday and only made up a few hundred K units (US only), which they've lost most of again already despite being a lower price.

Haven't we learned yet? Games don't sell consoles during the holidays. Giveaway sales do. At least that's what was demonstrated by the American consumer in Nov-Dec 2014. Sunset Overdrive did not sell XB1's. The bundles with 3 games and a $50 coupon for $329 did.

MMaRsu

Banned
So unless I'm missing something big, I think that Sony is in for a rough holiday.

Maybe you are missing common sense instead m8 :p.
Lol

PS4 will outsell that other weaker console easily.

They dont need AAA exclusives for it to sell a shitton.

Xpliskin

gdjfjty.gif

Should have been first post.

Well they're still E3, gamescon, TGS and PSX 2015.

semiconscious

Gold Member
Many people said similar things about BB

people continue to discount (or ignore) the 'best-selling console' factor: sony simply has more people to sell their exclusives to, period. & that does, indeed, make a difference at this point, no matter which particular game we're talking about...

Tomb Raider is NOT an exclusive - its a timed partnership - it will be coming to PS4/PC later.

Sony has a partnership with EA for Battlefront.

phanphare

Banned
probably nothing as far as big exclusives go

however it's the more powerful console so third party games will carry the console again

see: last holiday season

Ascenion

When official Playstation accounts are tweeting images like this one, it seems pretty likely.

CCuaIqlW0AIgiy3.jpg

EA why.....should've gone it solo. You have Disney's marketing machine for Christ's sake.

OT: Sony will be fine. I simply won't believe they have nothing planned for the holidays. This worrying is uncalled for.

Mendax

actually i think there are so many great games launching this summer and fall that the 2 exclusives microsoft does have will be overlooked anyway

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Kind of depressing that I can't imagine buying another PS4 game until Uncharted.

Why is jt unlikely they'll announce something at E3 for release this Christmas?
Especially given that they seem to be changing or have changed this aspect since last generation. I actually believe they will show something AAA to be released for holiday season at E3.

Why do people keep listing Ratchet & Clank for 2015? Did someone say it's coming this year?

Yes. Insomniac and Andrew House did.

Also, the tie-in movie is coming this year. For the game to not be ready alongside the movie is like launching Battlefront next year after missing the Force Awakens hype window.

Tobor

Who cares about the holiday when the race is over anyway?

Sony won. Microsoft will come in second. Nintendo is a long distant third. The end.

The best MS can do this holiday is cut Sonys lead a bit by having another firesale.

Yes. Insomniac and Andrew House did.

Also, the tie-in movie is coming this year. For the game to not be ready alongside the movie is like launching Battlefront next year after missing the Force Awakens hype window.

I think I can believe it but a link to the source would be nice.

So far only the movie was announced by Andrew House for this year. Not the game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Even with halos reduced status (it's not the monster it use to be) it still has a broader appeal than TLG

but the OP's question is 'what does Sony have for the holidays'. Not 'what does Sony have for the holidays that meets my personally subjective opinions of quality and relevance'

They'll have very little in the way of exclusives and it won't matter because first party games have little influence on console sales nowadays

Viewed from a PS4 vs. Xbox One console perspective they will have tons of exclusives.

They just won't count because they will be indies. Same as always.

I think I can believe it but a link to the source would be nice..

http://www.insomniacgames.com/games/ratchet-clank-ps4/

Quote in question :

In 2015, we have the rare (actually, for us, unprecedented) opportunity to expand Ratchet’s universe simultaneously in two forms. We’ll continue our involvement with the Ratchet & Clank feature film. And we’re excited to announce that we’re also developing a game that shares the film’s vision of Ratchet’s origin story. As featured in Sony’s press conference, the game re-imagines the original Ratchet & Clank, with updated gameplay and completely new visuals built from the ground up for the PlayStation 4.

Circinus

If they release Ratchet & Clank in November, it'll get destroyed. If they release it in October, it'll probably get destroyed. That duo just doesn't have the sway to divert attention away from the likes of Halo, let alone the usual annualised fodder shat out by Activision and Ubisoft. They better release that game in September or delay it to early next year, otherwise there will be another LBP3 failure on Sony's hands.

Ratchet & Clank?

You realize this Sony Computer Entertainment's biggest franchise (in terms of units sold and besides Gran Turismo). Ratchet & Clank is the king of the action-platforming genre.

I'd say it's the other way around. If something like Quantum Break or Forza 6 would get released near Ratchet & Clank, it could get destroyed by Ratchet & Clank. ^.^

Ratchet & Clank will release in November or October I think. And that would be totally fine. ^.^

Ratchet & Clank is undoubtedly very likely going to be the biggest first-party exclusive game being released for any platform this holiday!! (besides Halo 5: Guardians, and maybe Tomb Raider if we count that as first-party)

Ratchet & Clank doesn't cater to the same audience as those games though. And how would Halo have anything to do with how Ratchet & Clank ends up charting ?

@ Circinus : What's up with your Relevance to consumer ? This thread clearly is about Sony [being] in for a rough holiday, it's right there in the OP...

Anyway, 1/ Sony doesn't really need anything to outperform the competition, 2/ yet they have plenty of great games planned for this year and 3/ probably even more things to be announced. They are fine...

Well let's be honest, ever since Uncharted 4 was delayed this topic of what Sony has for the holiday season has spread like wildfire. When folks ask that question, what they're really saying is "What does Sony have in their first-party roster than can compete with their main competitor Microsoft?" The third-party software for both the PS4 and Xbone will be there in droves, so the main thing that separates both systems and defines them is their exclusive content. As of now, exclusive wise - and this is obviously subject to change with E3 approaching - it's looking like Ratchet & Clank is Sony's big holiday season title. And while that game will probably (hopefully!) be good, it hasn't got nearly the same commercial prospects that a juggernaut franchise like Halo does. It's not really about catering to the same audiences but rather, what exclusive does Sony have that'll convince your average gamer out there to splash out on a PS4 rather than a Xbox One? Uncharted 4 used to be the answer to that question, but now that's not happening.

Eh, it's probably all irrelevant anyway. Sony will end up selling more systems this fall through a partnership with a third party and its game than they will through a first-party effort. Unless they release Gran Turismo 7 or something.

Mendax

Is halo a franchise that gets overlooked now? What great 3rd party lineup are we talking about anyway?

yeah in the same way MCC was overlooked or looked at and then tossed in the corner.

And battlefront, black ops & victory are gonna be the biggest. metal gear too and maybe mad max as well. fifa16 is gonna be huge as well and then there is also rock band and guitar hero bringing in all dem casuals to this gen. and probably one third of the 3rd party fall lineup is yet to be revealed if it isnt more. <cough> fallout <cough>

Top Bottom