• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Fall TV shows will you be watching? - 2015 Edition -

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm searching for a Nova trailer on YouTube but it gives me many different results. What is it exactly?

This long-running, award-winning documentary series focuses on science, its many applications, speculation, history and researchers. Inspired by the BBC documentary program "Horizons, " the U.S. series frequently features interviews with scientists directly involved in the topic at hand, and sometimes even boasts footage of a particular discovery.

I just started watching Kevin from Work, which I didn't see in the OP, I guess it premiered before September. It's decidedly meh. Reminds me a lot of From A to Z. The leads are ok, the supporting characters bad (though not nearly as bad).

It's harmless enough. I will keep watching till it's cancelled.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The Returned (the French original, Les Revenants, not A&E's canned remake) will premiere its second season on Sundance on October 31st, 10pm. It'll be debuting in France on Canal+ on September 28th.

TripOpt55

The Returned (the French original, Les Revenants, not A&E's canned remake) will premiere its second season on Sundance on October 31st, 10pm. It'll be debuting in France on Canal+ on September 28th.

I'm really excited for this. The first season was great.

Just watched Moonbeam City on the CC website, wasn't overly impressed. Very Archer while not being able to match Archer. They nail the corny 80s acting though, so there is a plus. And the visuals are decent, so two plusses.

Pachimari

Thanks for this. Sounds very interesting. Might check it out.

I'm really excited for this. The first season was great.

Yeah, I really need to get going with the first season, but I just have to finish up Gotham, Humans and Constantine first.

kaskade

I kinda wish Ash vs. Evil Dead was premiering earlier in october. I love the build up to horror stuff until halloween. I'm usually kind of out of the mood by then. Still watching it though.

Anyone made a list of shows they predict are going to get canceled mid-season/after the first season? I see plenty I am certain are gonna go. Always fun to compare predictions!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

This is the worst fall season in modern television history, and I don’t believe it’s close.

This is my fifth autumn on the TV beat, and in previous years, even as cable demanded more and more of my attention and respect, I was always struck by the wild swings, the spectacular hits, and the far more common spectacular misses of the Big Four. There was something noble and, occasionally, inspiring about the way in which they strove to stave off extinction or, worse, irrelevance. Sometimes their attempts were legitimately impressive; other times they were horrific. Some even involved actual dinosaurs. But even amid inevitable carnage, every fall carried with it a flicker of passion, a resilient, dark-denying spark that said “I am alive!” Or at least, “I am worth loathing!”

No longer. I don’t even need a word to sum up the fall 2015 broadcast slate, not when an emoticon will do: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. This is the sorriest collection of recycled ideas, neutered groupthink, and depressing mediocrity I’ve ever seen. You have to understand: I’m not just saying nothing is good. I’m also saying nothing is even the slightest bit compelling. Or interesting. Or unique. Or even bad in a Put On Your Sunglasses, David Caruso, and Take a Look at That Car Crash sort of way. These shows are the empty, halfhearted shrugs of decaying empires that have no idea what viewers want anymore — and have committed the full force of their not-inconsiderable assets to proving it.

yFHY9E3.gif

TripOpt55

After reading more about the shows, I will definitely be trying The Last Kingdom and Flesh and Bone too. I overlooked them before, but they sound pretty good.

Super late on this... (Great OT as always BTW.)

Returning
Dancing with the Stars
Faking It
The Flash
SHIELD
Survivor
Arrow
Kingdom
Downton Abbey (Blu-ray)
Outlander

New
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
Supergirl
The Muppets
Scream Queens
Mr. Robot (Canadian Debut)
Jessica Jones
Quantico
Into the Badlands

Maybe

Jane the Virgin
How to Get Away with Murder
Heroes: Reborn
The Player
Fear the Walking Dead
The Walking Dead
Brooklyn 9-9
London Spy

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

The Voice - NBC - 8/7c

Gotham - Fox - 8/7c

The Big Bang Theory - CBS - 8/7c

Life in Pieces - CBS - 8:30/7:30c

Minority Report - Fox - 9/8c

Scorpion - CBS - 9/8c

NCIS: Los Angeles - CBS - 10/9c

Castle - ABC - 10/9c

Blindspot - NBC - 10/9c

Reviews:

Life in Pieces:

AV Club said:
Life In Pieces’ greatest asset could become its greatest liability, as the series wolfs down potential stories four at a time. But if they’re as funny, well acted, and snappy as the stories in the premiere episode, it’ll be worth it to watch whatever stories Life In Pieces gets to tell.

Boston Globe said:
While the first episode of Life in Pieces ... doesn’t immediately inspire the same confidence as [Modern Family] does, what it does have in common with it is a big, ludicrously talented cast who elevate the pilot material in ways that a lesser ensemble couldn’t have managed.

Philadelphia Inquirer said:
This ain't brain science, folks. Just a well-written, nicely performed, and very, very, very familiar sitcom.

Minority Report:

Boston Herald said:
Sharp, slick and brimming with visual tricks, Fox’s Minority Report is a trippy sci-fi crime procedural.

USA Today said:
Neither the actors nor the script do much to breathe new life into a recycled idea.

James Poniewozik said:
The pilot of Minority Report, which will have its premiere on Monday on Fox, jettisons everything disturbing and thought-provoking about the film to turn it into a humdrum, slickly bland crime procedural.

Blindspot:

New York Daily News said:
A promising mystery thriller with a pair of strong, intriguing characters at the center.

Maureen Ryan said:
Alexander and Stapleton, both appealing enough in their own right, to execute some basic action-adventure moves, though their characters have no discernible chemistry as yet. The Blindspot pilot is more or less efficient enough, even though few aspects of the premise make any real sense.

Tim Goodman said:
Blindspot has more than enough going for it early on, despite some real bouts of silliness, that it’s one of those few and elusive pilots that can be endorsed for at least initial evaluation. The reward for spending an hour is mostly worth it.

Doctor Who
NCIS: Los Angeles
Blindspot
Hawaii Five-O
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D
Homeland
The Flash
Arrow
Haven - Final Season :(
The Walking Dead
Supergirl

Looks like a great fall but I'll probably have to wait for some of them, damm you UK.

TripOpt55

Looking forward to trying Minority Report and Life in Pieces. Not expecting much, but I like trying pilots out this time of year.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I kinda wish I didn't give up on Gotham. Checking this I only skipped the last 5 episodes so I guess I could catch up but I'm not sure I even want to.

I'll check out Life in Pieces and Blindspot tonight and then decide if I'll continue with them. I have zero interest in Minority Report which is sad because I loved the movie.

I kinda wish I didn't give up on Gotham. Checking this I only skipped the last 5 episodes so I guess I could catch up but I'm not sure I even want to.

I'll check out Life in Pieces and Blindspot tonight and then decide if I'll continue with them. I have zero interest in Minority Report which is sad because I loved the movie.

S1 of Gotham was just added to Netflix today.

Frog-fu

Banned
Better late than never.

Returning
  • Agents of Shield
  • Arrow
  • Brooklyn Nine Nine
  • Empire
  • Fargo
  • Homeland
  • Kingdom
  • Luther
  • South Park
  • The Flash
  • The Leftovers
  • The Walking Dead

New
  • Heroes Reborn
  • Into the Badlands
  • Marvel's Jessica Jones
  • The Last Kingdom

Maybe
  • Childhood's End
  • Hand of God
  • Man in the High Castle
  • Quantico
  • The Expanse
  • The Spymasters
  • Wicked City

On-going shows I might jump into
  • Black-ish
  • Scandal
  • How to Get Away with Murder
  • Outlander
  • The Knick
  • The Affair
  • The Americans

L1NETT

David Bowie has written brand new original music for Sky Atlantic's The Last Panthers, makes me that little bit more excited for it.

David Bowie has recorded a brand new original song which will feature in the opening credits for the forthcoming European crime thriller, THE LAST PANTHERS. It is the first time the artist has contributed original music for film or television in twenty years. The track is the result of a meeting of minds between Bowie and the director of the series Johan Renck who met during the filming of the show.

The series is produced by France's Haut et Court TV (‘The Returned’) and the UK's Warp Films (‘This is England’) and directed by the acclaimed Johan Renck (Bloodline, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead as well as videos by Madonna, New Order, Beyoncé and Lana Del Rey) and was filmed in Marseille, Belgrade, Montenegro and London. THE LAST PANTHERS will screen on CANAL + France and on Sky Atlantic in the UK, Ireland, Italy, Germany and Austria this autumn.

Not sure about airdates for the USA, will try and have a root around and find summat.

Vert boil

The detritus has started plopping.

Muppets was terribad and Life in Pieces is yet more proof that Zoe Lister Jones should be banned from appearing on camera.

Actually there was one good part of The Muppets. We found out that in fifty years we invent a one use only Time Machine. :) Unfortunately they used it to send back the one hundred and four year old withered tired hack Ricky Gervais so that he could make this version of The Muppets to punish us for *insert timely hip political issue*. ;(

Thanks to this thread, I found out Luther is back for another go around. Made my morning. :)

Other things I plan to watch:

- The Knick
- Fargo
- Star Wars Rebels
- TMNT

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
HBO has given Getting On: S3 a premiere date of November 8th, 10pm.

Not sure about airdates for the USA, will try and have a root around and find summat.
I'm pretty sure no one has picked it up for the US yet.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

The Voice - NBC - 8/7c

NCIS - CBS - 8/7c

Gorongosa Park: Rebirth of Paradise - PBS - 8/7c

The Muppets - ABC - 8/7c

Fresh Off the Boat - ABC - 8:30/7:30c

Dancing with the Stars: The Result - ABC - 9/8c

NCIS: New Orleans - CBS - 9/8c

Scream Queens - Fox - 9/8c

The Bazillion Dollar Club - Syfy - 10/9c

Limitless - CBS - 10/9c

On Two Fronts: Latinos & Vietnam - PBS - 10/9c

Reviews:

The Muppets:

James Poniewozik said:
The first two episodes of The Muppets, which has its debut on Tuesday, are sometimes funny and have flashes of the original’s charm. But they also reflect a definition of “adult” that could stand to grow up.

Maureen Ryan said:
There are some solid jokes and gags scattered throughout the first two episodes. But as I watched them, it was difficult not to feel a sense of deflation that strayed into disappointment. It became more and more clear over the course of those episodes that The Muppets had been jammed into a format that doesn’t quite suit them.

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette said:
Smart and consistently funny, ABC’s The Muppets is the closest any broadcast network gets to a comedy home run this fall.

Scream Queens:

Dan Fienberg said:
Whatever your perspective, if the idea of Glee or Popular spiked with wanton slaughter sounds appealing, Scream Queens initially should have you covered.

Variety said:
Get past the baubles, though, and the series simply feels too derivative to be truly exciting or particularly suspenseful. So while the casting and format should be enough to help Scream Queens make some initial noise ratings-wise, creatively speaking, there’s just not much here to shout about.

Las Vegas Weekly said:
Scream Queens is completely clueless about what’s actually scary, and its comedy is ugly and mean-spirited, full of hateful stereotypes and casual misogyny.

Los Angeles Times said:
In a way, "Scream Queens" is a combination of all [Murphy's previous] shows. Just not in a good way.

Limitless:

Willa Paskin said:
It’s lithe and funny for this kind of show, yet another series about a very special crime-solver.

AV Club said:
Mentalist and Sherlock fans looking to fill their procedural need may find some delights here, and the show’s editing and direction help kick series this up a notch. ... But its similarity to other source material puts Limitless at a disadvantage, as the viewer may occasionally just wish they were watching these other, better shows.

Alan Sepinwall said:
Limitless is competent at what it's trying to be, even if what it's trying to be is a middling CBS procedural.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Survivor - CBS - 8/7c

The Mysteries of Laura - NBC - 8/7c

Rosewood - Fox - 8/7c

Nature - PBS - 8/7c

The Middle - ABC - 8/7c

The Goldbergs - ABC - 8:30/7:30c

Empire - Fox - 9/8c

Law & Order: SVU - NBC - 9/8c

Modern Family - ABC - 9/8c

black-ish - ABC - 9:30/8:30c

Big Brother - CBS - 9:30/8:30c

Nashville - ABC - 10/9c

TripTank - Comedy Central - 11/10c

Reviews:

Rosewood:

Newark Star-Ledger said:
Chestnut, a reliably charming presence on screens small and large, is by far the best the thing about this painfully conventional procedural that borrows aethestically from "Miami Vice."

Slant said:
Rosewood is so generic it does a loop-de-loop all the way through inadvertent self-parody, landing back on mere mediocrity again.

Philadelphia Inquirer said:
A derivative procedural with uninteresting, annoying characters and boring plots, it has little to recommend, save for its glorious shots of Miami nightlife.

Top Bottom