• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Fall TV shows will you be watching? - 2015 Edition -

DJ_Lae

I really enjoyed the pilot for Life in Pieces and plan to stick with it. It's got a great cast

I went in with no expectations at all and also really enjoyed it and its awkwardness.

Minority Report was kind of bad, in comparison, but I liked the little tech nods and if they don't pull a Too Human there might be some opportunity for exploring the future works in interesting ways.

Plus, boobs. There were some hilarious shots in that show.

I just watched Blindspot. I liked it. Solid performances from the leads. Jaimie Alexander does a great job with the emotional/psychological impacts. I hope they go deeper with some of that. The action scenes were great, especially her martial arts skills in the apartment complex.

Will keep it on the DVR queue.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Heroes: Reborn - NBC - 8/7c

Grey's Anatomy - ABC - 8/7c

Live from Lincoln Center - PBS - 8/7c

Scandal - ABC - 9/8c

The Player - NBC - 10/9c

How to Get Away with Murder - ABC - 10/9c

Reviews:

Heroes Reborn:

Boston Globe said:
It strikes me as simply more of the same overwrought drama that we left by the side of the road in 2010, with a few returning characters--most notably Jack Coleman’s Noah Bennet--and a bunch of newcomers, none of whom is quite as charming as the young evos (evolved humans) from the first series, such as Hiro.

RogerEbert .com said:
From the beginning, Heroes Reborn plays like fan fiction with its amateur writing. It looks slick, but that hides shallow screenwriting and characters.

Variety said:
All told, the premiere isn’t a bad step in that direction [recapture its early days while establishing new threads to reach beyond that core], but it’s unclear whether enough untapped power resides in the premise to ensure that the series can save itself, much less the world.

The Player:

Newsday said:
Sure, Thursday's pilot is junk, but it's pretty, diligent junk, essentially The Whopper of action TV, heaped high with mayhem condiments.

Slant said:
The Player is pulp trash with an admirable sense of its own disposability, running through gimmicks nearly as efficiently as Alex plows through requisitely faceless thugs.

New York Times said:
A new action series from NBC with a ludicrous plot full of unlikable characters played by not particularly likable actors.

mm04

I hope The Player does well because I like Philip Winchester. And I want to see a Blindspot crossover where he and Sullivan Stapleton can bro it up for old time's sake.

Vert boil

The plot of The Player is really fucking dumb. Action wasn't too bad but it's on The Transporter level.

Shame they taped his dingle down during the pants chase. ;(

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I hope The Player is fun. The premise was pretty pulpy, plus Wesley Snipes is in it.

I actually liked it. Part of my brain knows it isn't good, but I have to admit I smiled every time Snipes was on-screen. Everything about it feels a bit dated though, even the music choices. It's something you'd expect to see 10 years ago, like NBC had a spinoff idea for that old show Las Vegas and just shelved it for a few years

And I could totally see them doing a crossover episode with Blindspot.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

The Amazing Race - CBS - 8/7c

Last Man Standing - ABC - 8/7c

Hawaii Five-O - CBS - 9/8c

Shark Tank - ABC - 9/8c

Blue Bloods - CBS - 10/9c

Vert boil

???

need more info

chestwls39.gif
running around Las Vegas in just a pair of blue boxers with Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball breast physics.

scott4pddme.gif

styl3s

Premiering today:

The Amazing Race - CBS - 8/7c

Last Man Standing - ABC - 8/7c

Hawaii Five-O - CBS - 9/8c

Shark Tank - ABC - 9/8c

Blue Bloods - CBS - 10/9c
My favorite guilty pleasure (Hawaii Five-O) and procedural (Blue Bloods) returns!

The plot of The Player is really fucking dumb. Action wasn't too bad but it's on The Transporter level.

Shame they taped his dingle down during the pants chase. ;(
Transporter movie or TV level? Transporter action (at least the chase scenes) are surprisingly really good for a TV show, better than some high budget films. I really enjoyed The Player at a pure guilty pleasure level. Hot guy, dumb action, dumb plot just a fun turn your brain off show.

Sadly i think Stonebridge's new show is DOA where as Scott's will probably end up with 5+ seasons with crossovers with stuff like Blacklist.

Vert boil

Transporter movie or TV level? Transporter action (at least the chase scenes) are surprisingly really good for a TV show, better than some high budget films. I really enjoyed The Player at a pure guilty pleasure level. Hot guy, dumb action, dumb plot just a fun turn your brain off show.

Sadly i think Stonebridge's new show is DOA where as Scott's will probably end up with 5+ seasons with crossovers with stuff like Blacklist.

TV show. Dumb fun but you've forgotten about it thirty minutes after watching it, at least for myself.

Checking out Black Sails due to the recommendations of this thread. First episode, I'm digging it.

That black hooker chick and and Captain Vane's assassin chick
noah.png

Just realized Vane is the dumb guy that married Lip's gf on Shameless. I fucking HATED that guy(due to writing/scenes?). He is doing ok as Vane though.

RootCause

I'm looking forward to Person of Interest.

Checking out Black Sails due to the recommendations of this thread. First episode, I'm digging it.

That black hooker chick and and Captain Vane's assassin chick
noah.png

Just realized Vane is the dumb guy that married Lip's gf on Shameless. I fucking HATED that guy(due to writing/scenes?). He is doing ok as Vane though.
Pretty awesome show. I love him as Vane.

I'm looking forward to Person of Interest.

Pretty awesome show. I love him as Vane.

Just watched the first season. Shit is not as bad as everyone said it would be tbh. Flint has no chill whatsoever.
lupe1.png

Right before he killed
Gates
I'm like. No way this dude is killing him. He ain't that fucked up. Saw him opening the door and was like yes, he free. Next thing you know Flint choking the shit outta him.

I didn't like
Billy
at first, but he was growing me, especially after how he was handling the careening stuff. Flint ruins that.

Hope
Eleanor
gets knocked off her high horse in season 2. The
way she did Vane.........

Glad to see
Max
and
Ann
made it thru the season alive at least.
=========================================
Scream Queens doesnt seem that bad. The whole thing with the Nanny and Chanel was weird(mammy shit). My 14 yo niece seems to enjoy it.
Plan on watching Blindspot/The Player later 2nite.
Empire is Empire.
SVU was okish for SVU I guess.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Bron/Broen - SVT1/DR1

Okkupert (Occupied) - TV2

60 Minutes - CBS - 7:30/6:30c

Bob's Burgers - Fox - 7:30/6:30c

The Simpsons - Fox - 8/7c

Once Upon a Time - ABC - 8/7c

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Fox - 8:30/7:30c

Indian Summers - PBS - 9/8c

CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - CBS - 9/8c

Blood & Oil - ABC - 9/8c

Family Guy - Fox - 9/8c

The Last Man on Earth - Fox - 9:30/8:30c

Quantico - ABC - 10/9c

Vice - HBO - 11/10c

Reviews:

Blood & Oil:

Slate said:
Blood & Oil is not a realistic drama but an out-and-out soap opera.

We Got This Covered said:
It’s confidently economical in its goal of pure, late-night, soapy entertainment.

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette said:
Blood & Oil offers only musty melodrama befitting its already dated premise.

Quantico:

Washington Post said:
Sure, it’s all sort of dumb, but Quantico also doesn’t mess around.... Chopra brings a sincere, centrifugal force to this swirling story line. You leave the first episode wanting to know what happens next and where this conspiracy leads.

James Poniewozik said:
The narrative gymnastics make the first half-hour of Quantico pass quickly and entertainingly. Too much of this, though, keeps you from investing much in the characters.

Slate said:
If Grey’s Anatomy set at Quantico with a long-term terrorism plot sounds bad to you, proceed no further: This is not your show. If it sounds kind of appealing, Quantico may be your least execrable show of fall.

DVRmageddon for me tonight: B99, Last Man on Earth, Ray Donovan, Masters of Sex, Vice, John Oliver, Doll & Em, The Strain, and Fear the Walking Dead.

Sober

Unless someone beats me to it I'll probably put up a thread for Quantico.

Hey at least Anna got into the FBI academy after Everlasting!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Angelby - SVT

The Returned - Canal+

Antiques Roadshow - PBS - 9/8c

I'll Have what Phil's Having - PBS - 10/9c

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah - Comedy Central - 11/10c

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Grandfathered - Fox - 8/7c

The Grinder - Fox - 8:30/7:30c

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - ABC - 9/8c

Beyond the Tank - ABC - 10/9c

Reviews:

Grandfathered:

The Wrap said:
With Daniel Chun penning a quick-witted script, Grandfathered subverts every hokey cliche that it nearly crashes into by maintaining a savvy self-awareness.... The brand of humor will remind viewers of “The Mindy Project” and the short-lived “Ben and Kate” with one-liners delivered so quick you could almost miss them. The supporting--are largely believable and charming.

Variety said:
After one episode of Grandfathered, it’s easy to feel like you’ve seen the first three seasons, especially if Jimmy is going to constantly be presented choices between bedding desirable women and looking after the moppet who has fallen into his lap.

Slate said:
Grandfathered tells a slick, likeable iteration of this tale [irrepressible bachelor who gets civilized by domestic responsibility], cruising along on Stamos’ charisma, some timely pop culture references, and a good script.

The Grinder:

USA Today said:
The half hour moves along briskly, sprinkled with a slew of funny lines and throwaway reactions and a few knowing winks at TV conventions--though not so many winks that they pull you out of the story. And through it all you have the pleasures provided by Lowe, Savage, Ellis and Devane, who mesh seamlessly.

Written by series creators Andrew Mogel (“Allen Gregory”) and Jarrad Paul (“Living with Fran”), The Grinder sets up a decent one-joke premise--actors, they’re so vain!--but it remains to be seen whether there’s more comedy to wring out of that joke in subsequent episodes.

Tim Goodman said:
As comedy pilots go this season, the end result is a rarity in that there were laughs.

Quantico gives me hope for more South Asian leads on US TV. Hopefully they don't all have to be former Miss Worlds and huge in India already to begin with to do it though.

I liked the first episode anyway.

Funny how Scott and Stonebridge have swapped personalities in their post-Strike Back lives. Stapleton is very serious and by the book on Blindspot while Winchester is going rogue breaking all the rules on The Player. So far both shows seem to be OK, Player knows how ridiculous it is and goes with it while Blindspot has done way more plot reveals then I expected which is a good sign.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Doped: The Dirty Side Of Sports - Epix - 8/7c

Criminal Minds - CBS - 9/8c

E.O. Wilson: Of Ants and Men - PBS - 9/8c

Code Black - CBS - 10/9c

Chicago P.D. - NBC - 10/9c

Reviews:

Code Black:

Sepinwall said:
It's a decent pilot, lacking any personality of its own at this stage, but still likely to appeal to the kind of people to which this kind of show appeals.

AV Club said:
Code Black gets a pass. It’s not the least bit interesting, but it’s dull and predictable in a way a medical drama hasn’t been in years. Specifically, Code Black is refreshingly unsexy.

Willa Paskin said:
The ER is crowded with cases familiar from House, Grey’s Anatomy, Chicago Hope, and ER, and the doctors perform many near-miracles. And yet Code Black has a heartbeat. Gay Harden is fierce and vital even when spouting clichés.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Bones - Fox - 8/7c

Sleepy Hollow - Fox - 9/8c

The Blacklist - NBC - 9/8c

Benders - IFC - 10/9c

Gigi Does It - IFC - 10:30/9:30c

Reviews:

Benders:

Variety said:
Despite the occasional funny line or absurd situation, the show feels completely disposable.

San Francisco Chronicle said:
None of it is believable. If the show’s structure were obviously satirical, there would be credible room for over-the-top, but the show is meant as a straight-ahead sitcom, and the story lines all sound exactly like what a bunch of guys would come up with in a college dorm room, rank with the smell of soiled laundry, flatulence and pot-induced tall tales.

Entertainment Weekly said:
The show stumbles with labored one-liners and too-zany situations.

Gigi Does It:

Gigi has a one-joke premise.... It's occasionally funny but not funny enough to tune in on a weekly basis.

The Hollywood Reporter said:
If IFC were to give David Krumholtz a talk show or his own variety series, the Gigi character might work for five minutes per week interacting with unsuspecting citizens. But stretched to 22 minutes per week, even those candid-camera moments don't generate sufficiently passionate reactions. Krumholtz and Mabe both are giving their all, but there isn't much of a series here beyond the concept.

Variety said:
Mostly, the whole horny, inappropriate Granny bit--which, in Gigi’s travels around Boca Raton, includes admiring a nude male model and making clear that part of him, anyway, doesn’t look Jewish--is just so played out.

Premiering today:

Bron/Broen - SVT1/DR1

For a split second I thought it would be a show about Bronn from Game of Thrones and I thought to myself I'd watch the shit out of that.

Anyone following Bastard Executioner? It's not the worst thing I've ever seen, but something is definitely missing. I really don't get the premise. Ooohh he has to
pretend to be a "punisher",
like that's his destiny, while I'm thinking what's the point of this show. I really don't get it. Doesn't help that the lead sucks. I like that noble lady though and Vampire Bill is ok too.

Saw the second episode of Blinspot as well. The wife fell completely asleep. I found it pretty decent.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Anyone following Bastard Executioner? It's not the worst thing I've ever seen, but something is definitely missing. I really don't get the premise. Ooohh he has to
pretend to be a "punisher",
like that's his destiny, while I'm thinking what's the point of this show. I really don't get it. Doesn't help that the lead sucks. I like that noble lady though and Vampire Bill is ok too.

They've been very slow to reveal the main thrust of the story, that's for sure.

Top Bottom