• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Fall TV shows will you be watching? - 2015 Edition -

The new seasons Homeland, The Leftovers, and The Affair are all reviewing very well so far. Fargo and The Knick, too. Looks like we'll have a nice crop of dramas back on the air within a couple of weeks. I think I'm only going to watch the latter two due to time constraints, but it's good to hear that the Fall HBO/Showtime shows might be back on track.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Dr. Ken - ABC - 8:30/7:30c

POV - PBS - 10/9c

Reviews:

Dr. Ken:

Vulture said:
It's a show that confuses loudness with funniness. Jeong himself screams every line, and the studio audience howls back, particularly when Jeong does his faux-rapper voice. It's crass and phony, and everything people say they hate about multi-camera comedies.

LA Times said:
A family comedy has to have heart and humor, and Dr. Ken has neither.

New York Times said:
The Dr. Ken pilot is a tough watch--a relentlessly mediocre and formulaic half-hour of family comedy that appears to have no aspirations to satire.

Chris R

I found which channel IFC is on my TV and watched Benders last night.

It was not good. I will not be watching another episode.

Shame, because I'd like a show that deals with something related to hockey. This just seemed like a bad comedy show (calling anything that occurred in the 30 minute time slot comedy is a stretch to begin with) set around a hockey rink instead of a local bar or office.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Quantico gives me hope for more South Asian leads on US TV. Hopefully they don't all have to be former Miss Worlds and huge in India already to begin with to do it though.

I liked the first episode anyway.

Absolutely.

It was a lot of fun. Not cerebral in any way, but I want to see more.

faridmon

I really enjoyed the first Ep of The player. Yes, its over top silly Hollywood action drama with cringy lines and acting, but it felt like it had certain charm and knew exactly what it was doing. The premise is super dumb, but it reminded me of Person of Intrest alot, which is plus.

Don't like Wesley Snipes character though.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Quantico gives me hope for more South Asian leads on US TV. Hopefully they don't all have to be former Miss Worlds and huge in India already to begin with to do it though.

I liked the first episode anyway.

Literally just heard about the show today. I wanna check it out.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Madam Secretary - CBS - 8/7c

The Good Wife - CBS - 9/8c

Homeland - Showtime - 9/8c

The Leftovers - HBO - 9/8c

CSI: Cyber - CBS - 10/9c

The Affair - Showtime - 10/9c

The Widower - PBS - 10/9c

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

The Flash - The CW - 8/7c

iZombie - The CW - 9/8c

Young Drunk Punk - CBC - 9pm

Raised By Wolves - CBC - 9:30pm

Finding Carter - MTV - 10/9c

TheOddOne

We need a Quantico thread this show is dooope
tumblr_npnpa3rTrd1r2aobgo2_500.gif

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Casual - Hulu

The Principal - SBS One - 8:30pm

Arrow - The CW - 8/7c

Supernatural - The CW - 9/8c

American Horror Story: Hotel - FX - 10/9c

Reviews:

Casual:

San Francisco Chronicle said:
A compelling, surprise-filled show about the devaluation of romance in contemporary life.

Sepinwall said:
The season as a whole is terrific, and comes very satisfyingly full circle with all of its stories, but you might want to give the first two episodes a try tomorrow and then loop back later to watch the rest in a smaller window.

Washington Post said:
Casual is occasionally surprising, sexually provocative and cruelly wry; despite some of the show’s faults--including a cynical through-line that occasionally reaches toxic levels of intra-family hurt and resentment--it is addictive and weirdly welcoming.

Pachimari

I haven't even watched yesterday's episodes yet. But that's only because my router broke down. Definitely gonna watch Casual, Arrow and American Horror Story: Hotel. Casual seems to get some good word of mouth.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Supermansion - Crackle

The Vampire Diaries - The CW - 8/7c

The Originals - The CW - 9/8c

Ridiculousness - MTV - 10/9c

Haven - Syfy - 10/9c

Reviews:

Supermansion:

NY Times said:
A ridiculously enjoyable but mighty raunchy stop-motion animated series.

The Hollywood Reporter said:
The show takes viewers right up to the cliff’s-edge of outrage before gently reneging. It’s all bad taste in good fun and the tonal whiplash that results tends to neutralize the humor.

AV Club said:
In the end, what’s most disappointing about SuperMansion’s first episodes is how underdeveloped its superhero milieu is.

TripOpt55

My favorite new shows so far this Fall have been Scream Queens and The Grinder. Scream Queens is just ridiculous and fun. I am surprised by some of the things they say on there for a network show. The Grinder has been really funny too. Rob Lowe's delivery is so good and I love Fred Savage's reaction to the way everyone else reacts to Lowe's character. They also do a good job at poking fun at sitcoms and law shows. Very entertaining so far.

I also think Life in Pieces is pretty solid so far. They have a really nice cast and I think the structure is a neat change from the other family comedies I watch. I hope they experiment with it a bit. Like one week have four short stories about one character. Matt's stories have been my favorite so far.

New dramas have been really blah. I guess Quantico is the best I have watched. It is rather stupid quite often, but at least I am somewhat entertained. Reminds me a bit of How to Get Away with Murder with a bit of Homeland I guess (I have been calling it How to Get Away with Terrorism in my head). Not sure what I will stick with other than those first three I mentioned.

I'm not sure if this was the place to post this, but it seems as good as any.

So Player is Person of Interest with human tech team

When will female tech team going to fall in love with Stonebridge.

From the last episode it seems she's the Scott in this show.

I'm really starting to like this, the action is well done and refreshingly free of cheap CGI with Winchester being awesome as always.
Where the plot goes remains to be seen but I like how the characters act on their own outside their interactions with the main character. Too often everyone not seen is just assumed to be in suspended animation until the hero comes back to them.

edit: having Wesley Snipes as the Mr. Johnson out of Shadowrun handing out assignments is also brilliant, a role he is perfect for.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Red Oaks - Amazon

Undateable - NBC - 8/7c

Reign - The CW - 8/7c

America's Next Top Model - The CW - 9/8c

The Enfield Haunting - A&E - 10/9c

Reviews:

Red Oaks:

Sepwinall said:
The whole story comes nicely full-circle by the end, and all the hijinks and heartbreak are accompanied by a fine soundtrack of '80s tunes that haven't been overplayed in other period movies. It's fun (if only occasionally of the laugh out loud variety).

USA Today said:
Red Oaks is never much more than pleasant, but it's also seldom much less. The episodes may not make you laugh out loud, but with a few clanging exceptions (led by an inexplicable Freaky Friday detour) they generally feel both warm and true.

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette said:
It's not the worst way to spend a half-hour, but Red Oaks also doesn't feel like essential viewing.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

America's Funniest Home Videos - ABC - 7/6c

The Walking Dead - AMC - 9/8c

Talking Dead - AMC - 10:30/9:30c

I kind of want to watch an episode of America's Funniest Home Videos to see what it's like these days in the era of YouTube and just the Internet in general. I mean, I haven't really watched since Bob Saget was host. After that I only saw glimpses of Tom Bergeron and a duo hosting the show but I never really watched.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Considering the career nosedive David Gordon Green has been on, the first episode of Red Oaks was unexpectedly pleasant and lightly funny; I always like seeing Paul Reiser and Richard Kind, too. At the same time, I wouldn't be at all surprised if I forgot to continue watching it -- the lead and general storyline are quite vanilla.

True fact, tho: more than anything else at the moment, I'm happy that there are new episodes of Botched on.

I kind of want to watch an episode of America's Funniest Home Videos to see what it's like these days in the era of YouTube and just the Internet in general. I mean, I haven't really watched since Bob Saget was host. After that I only saw glimpses of Tom Bergeron and a duo hosting the show but I never really watched.

It has its moments sometimes but many of the jokes are just laughing at people having trips and falls or just cute baby moments.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - The CW - 8/7c

Jane the Virgin - The CW - 9/8c

Fargo - FX - 10/9c

Reviews:

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend:

USA Today said:
Crazy is an out-of-the-blue surprise and an out-of-the-box treasure. It shows what the networks can do when they're willing to throw caution to the wind and turn to something and someone new--in this case, star and writer Rachel Bloom and the show's creator, Aline Brosh McKenna.

The Salt Lake Tribune said:
When you're in the midst of it, you feel sort of crazy. When you're watching Rachel go through it, it's engaging. It's fresh. It's fun.

Los Angeles Times said:
It's an intoxicating if precarious concoction, capable of exploding or imploding at any moment, which only adds to the fun.... She is able to keep words like "pathetic" and "deranged" at bay for the first hour through sheer force of will, but now that the concept has been established, the scripts will need to give her firmer footing and a little more room to move.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

The Romeo Section - CBC - 9pm

Kingdom - Audience Network - 9/8c

Star Wars Rebels - Disney XD - 9:30/8:30c

The Brain with David Eagleman - PBS - 10/9c

Sober

The best part about new Canadian shows premiering is I have no damn clue what they're about until I sit down and watch them.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Beasts of No Nation - Netflix

Truth Be Told - NBC - 8:30/7:30c

Play it Forward - Showtime - 9/8c

Satisfaction - USA - 10/9c

Please Like Me - Pivot - 10/9c

The Knick - Cinemax - 10/9c

Reviews:

Truth Be Told:

Variety said:
The cast works pretty hard to sell the material, but it’s awfully thin, and tackles the topical aspects less aggressively than NBC’s summer sitcom “The Carmichael Show,” which earned a renewal. The main problem is that nothing here feels remotely organic.

Boston Herald said:
These couples are just the sort you’d dodge at the office or at a party, so why you’d want to unwind with them on your TV is NBC’s headache. Truth Be Told: Not much fun here.

San Francisco Chronicle said:
The concept of the show actually isn’t bad, but the execution is wanting, and then some. Every conversation feels awkward and forced, and of course the supposed jokes just aren’t funny.

- ‘Man In The High Castle’ Pilot & Second Episode Available During Amazon’s Free Preview Weekend
The pilot and episode 2 will be available for no-charge at http://www.amazon.com/maninthehighcastle beginning at 12 AM PST on Friday, October 23rd and ending at 11:59 PM PST on Sunday, October 25th in the U.S. and UK. Following the Preview Weekend, the show’s second episode will available exclusively to all Amazon Prime Members, prior to the season launch of all episodes on November 20th. Check out the new trailer above.

This is the first sneak preview of Man In The High Castle Episode 2 (outside of a New York Comic-Con screening). Amazon previously streamed the debut season of Transparent for free for 24 hours following its Golden Globe win.
There's a new trailer up, too.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Supergirl - CBS - 8:30/7:30c

Reviews:

Washington Post said:
Supergirl is a cheerful and spot-on adaptation, skillfully accomplishing the difficult task of making a corny comic-book story seem not only believable but also welcoming to those who’ve tired (or never enjoyed) the genre.

Sepinwall said:
Benoist is appealing enough, and the action sequences impressive enough, that the show gets away with the lack of subtlety. It's a competent superhero show made by people who've been doing this a while and have gotten better at it with each new stage of things.

Willa Paskin said:
It’s a competent and cute drama that benefits from being served up after a fall of horse meat.

Top Bottom