• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is Your Opinion of The Last of Us Part II Focusing on Joel & Ellie?

I wouldn't be interested at all in the story if it had different characters. Joel and Ellie were what made Last of Us interesting. Otherwise you're just left with another zombie game.

Eblo

Would have preferred a focus on new characters or just Ellie after Joel's death or something, but Naughty Dog is talented enough to make anything work. I'm pumped regardless. I am interested to see how things develop with Ellie being more of the focus than Joel.

grizzelye

I trust in Naughty Dog; pretty sure that they care about the characters more than anybody else in the world. If they have a story to tell with Ellie/Joel, I want to see where they take it.

UrbanRats

As i said in the other thread, and multiple times in the past, deeply disappointed.
However i feel like after Uncharted 4, my tastes and Naughty Dogs' direction, are getting more and more divergent, this coupled with my general waning interest in videogames, it'll be easier to ignore i guess.
Wish them the best, regardless.

bwakh

It's the safe, boring move. I should've expected it, this being Naughty Dog and all.

It is definitely as far from being a safe move as it can be. To have the confidence to grow on such a perfect ending takes something i say.

I wasn't sure what I wanted from The Last Of Us sequel or if i even wanted another TLOU, but the trailer easily reminded me how much i missed the characters and it got me wondering that there could really be a lot more about these characters that they want to tell us. The potential is definitely there.

MisterMac

Neil during the PSX panel what I have been saying since the first one. The Last of Us is Ellie and Joel. It's not the post apocalypse, it's not the kinda-zombies. It's them. They are what made that story matter and they are what gives The Last of Us power.

It had to be them and I'm glad it was them. Anything else wouldn't be true to what The Last of Us is. There's nothing safe about it. They are putting their legacy and the integrity of the characters on the line to tell the story of what comes next for them.

Safe would be throwing two new characters together and doing some Joel/Ellie lite crap

Kalentan

My thoughts from the reveal thread:

I really do think ND has the potential to explore some pretty deep issues around masculinity here. It sounds like TLOU2 will primarily be Ellie's story, but I'm sure they'll give us some significant character development with Joel, too. I really hope the old man comes through.

I have to say one thing about your original point. I don't see how Joel took her choice to die away. The Fireflies took that. Did people forget that the last thing she remembered was falling in the water before she woke up in Joel's car? She had no idea she was going to die and the Fireflies weren't going to give her a chance to say no.

DavidDesu

I do not understand those saying that TLOU should have just ended where it did. It's totally up in the air. If anything it needs more. I want to find out how the lie ripples down and the repurcussions. When it all comes to a head it's going to be epic. Simply don't understand those saying that everything we need to see has been seen already. I have faith they won't fuck this up, as I think that's where much of the hesitation comes from, a fear of tainting what was a masterful, near perfect first game.

forrest

formerly nacire
Fantastic decision. Sure the first story is fairly self contained, but there really is plenty to expand upon. Joel and Ellie are incredible characters in my opinion. The fact that I've invested so much time into them and still want to participate in more of their story speaks volumes.

I have no doubts that we would receive a great game either way, but Joel and Ellie aren't done yet and I'd like to see them through the loose ends.

guyssorry

well, i enjoyed the first game and thought it was pretty good. So, hopefully I enjoy this game and find it to be pretty good, too.

I never thought a sequel was needed but i wasnt opposed to it.
And if it ever did happen i wanted to play as Ellie exclusively or at least for the majority.

Kalentan

If anything, Ellie should thank him.

No! She should kill him for not letting the people who decieved her from killing her. I mean, she totally would have said, yes. I mean that's why the Fireflies gave her the choice, right?

Oh wait...

I agree.

Superflat

A couple years ago when the topic of a sequel came up, I pretty much said what Druckmann said at this PSX -- If there was going to be a sequel, The Last of Us IS Joel and Ellie's relationship, so it would have to be about them again.

I'm more than happy that the sequel continues that. The world is well realized and all, but I don't feel like it has that many more things to explore or show that will wow us like it did the first time. Creating a brand new post-apocalypse story would feel cheaper to me, tbh. It would be TLOU part one again, only slightly different.

By sticking with Joel and Ellie, the team can build upon the relationship they created instead of trying to capture lightning in a bottle once more with a set of new ones in the same world.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I'm not a fan of it tbh. Joel and Ellie had a great story that ended the right way in TLOU but Neil Druckmann says this new story is worth it, I'll take his word for it.

Mephala

I didn't really like Joel but... Maybe he has changed.

It doesn't really matter to me since I am not a huge fan of the first. I'll take what they offer and probably enjoy bits of it just like the first game.

Fury451

Banned
I love it. Feel the story and relationship between Joel, Ellie and The Fireflies has so much more to tell.

Yup. And Ellie taking the lead makes narrative sense. Joel and Ellie are phenomenal characters in what could've been a run of the mill zombie story.

It's all good. The world honestly isn't all that compelling on it's own imo, so using such strong characters again makes sense.

Without Ellie in the sequel I probably wouldn't be that interested anyway.

Falchion

It's not really surprising since they have so much capital built up with fans for those two characters. Plus there's a lot more to explore as they continue to navigate their new life.

I'm perfectly fine with it as I want the creators to tell the story they want to tell, though I did love the ending of TLOU for what it was and wonder if part II will change my perception of the original in any way.

I really REALLY wanted it to star someone else and take place with different characters in a different location.

I'm sure they can make a really good game but the ending was absolutely PERFECT and making a sequel to it made my heart drop. They told the story and it was over. It was such an emotionally tense ending that was the summation of the entire journey to that point.

It's taking a somewhat ambiguous ending that defined the characters and exploring it when we didn't need to.

Like taking the end of Inception and having a sequel where they go "No, he's actually stuck in the dream world and he only imagined it and they have to get him out and so on" Like, why? You diminish the strength of the original ending.

They didn't have more story to tell to me. They told their story. It was over. I guess it isn't though and that just makes me feel a bit pessimistic.

Feeroper

I say this without knowing what happens in Last of Us 2 (of course), but my first thought was that the first game did not need a sequel. Des[ite how well it did sales wise, I cant think of any convincing narrative to do another one unless it was a different story and set of characters in the same narrative universe. However in that case, I would have liked a different title altogether too. However, money talks of course, so I get why they would do it, but alas, as of right now that's how I feel.

Perhaps down the road when we see a little more it might make complete sense and be a good idea, but I don't know enough right now to think otherwise.

If the story is told well, I'm fine with them returning. They are characters I got to know and like over the course of first game, so seeing what's next for them should be great.

I don't think Naughty Dog have ever made a bad sequel, so if they think it's the right choice then I do. Joel is definitely getting killed off though, going to be super sad.

I would have preferred a completely new cast of characters in another part of the world entirely, but I'll still enjoy it no doubt.

At least playing as Ellie this time will require a different perspective and approach to the narrative, so it shouldn't feel like a retread of the first game, hopefully.

TissueBox

Ok personally, my ranking of preference went something like this:

DREAM: New IP
Why not: TLOU2 with completely new characters
Fiine: TLOU2 with Joel and Ellie

The thing is, it's been 2 years since we've seen a Druckmann/Straley(?) thing from them which they and the team built from the ground up. The second thing is, a Naughty Dog game these days is something to behold, the epitome of AAA and passion project, and when a new one comes around it's hard not to get hyped, least for me.

So yeah even if it's not what I was most desperate for, (though believe me when I say there are pro'lly more people more desperate for more Joel and Ellie than I am for a new IP lol) it's still an exciting thing to look forward to and I won't complain that I'm getting it. It's like choosing between a cruise ship, Hawaii getaway, or trip to the Alps. Either way you're getting something unforgettable if you're a fan of ND.

Will they do the characters justice? I'm sure they'll try. Nevertheless I'll reserve judgement 'til further details are given, though in the meantime it's just a heck of a trailer to take in.

All I'll add to that is Neil and his team care most for these characters. What they do with them, even if you disagree with it, is something I believe will come from somewhere honest if nothing else.

III-V

Love the dynamics between Joel and Ellie.

Really glad they make a return for the sequel. To me, at least they really are the Last of Us.

DMiz

I actually feel it was very bold to want to take the game as a continuation of where the first game left off, especially considering the endings and its implications.

I think the safer thing to do would have been to explore another set of characters in the same world. To so directly address the consequences of the decisions made by the conclusion of the first game is definitely a brave and interesting choice.

Replicant

A bit disappointed. I love Joel and Ellie and would rather the story ended as it was, leaving conclusion open to imagination.

Also was hoping for new IP from Naughty Dogs or at least sets of new characters in the new TLoU.

But oh well, can't be that bad......

eLGee

I'm fine with it. I liked playing as Ellie in the Winter segment in TLOU and in Left Behind, so I'm sure I'm gonna like TLOU2 as well.

Timeaisis

Well, it will likely completely ruin the tension and ambiguity of the ending, which was the highlight of there original.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like Joel will die mid way or you have to end up killing him.

I would have liked the same world but different people, but I had a feeling Ellie and Joel would return.

Hugstable

Banned
I don't like it and kinda disappointed as I wanted to know more about how other locations in the world were dealing with the outbreak, thought new characters would be more interesting.

Doesn't really make a difference to me though, the reason I liked the first game so much anyway wasn't cause it's story or it's characters, I legit liked the gameplay, especially how tense it could get on Survivor with no hearing shit.

Pimpbaa

It wouldn't be TLOU without them. So I'm pretty hyped. To me, the series IS their new IP and they should have focused on TLOU2 before Uncharted 4.

Vinc

I'm not entirely sure I agree with that. After all, Joel and Ellie didn't exist until TLOU, there's no explicit reason the sequel couldn't focus on new characters that were just as good. I think mostly, Druckmann found the best sequel he could tell was going to be about Joel and Ellie. I hope it turns out wonderfully, but it wasn't really necessary given the ending.

: )

This argument doesn't make sense. You're right, Joel and Ellie didn't exist until TLOU. And without them, there is no TLOU. The game is so focused on them and about them that it would not be a sequel without them. The world on its own is just a zombie world. It is not what made TLOU what it is, and a sequel without them would be in name only. You can't make Breaking Bad without Walter White either. It's not Game of Thrones or Bioshock where the world is the star. TLOU IS Joel and Ellie.

someday

Banned
I'm happy that it's Joel and Ellie again. I feel like her story can go a lot further and frankly, I just liked them. I'm not particularly interested in this universe without Ellie, and to a lesser extent, Joel.

I wanted it to star Ellie, so I'm happy about that. Didn't really want it to have Joel that much but I have a lot faith in Neil and the team to make something great.

I didn't want it before because I think the powerful first game's ending will be diluted in some way, but honestly after that magnificent trailer I'm confident ND will do the game justice.

100% on board, and Ellie as the main protag makes complete sense.

Not a fan of it right now but I'll give them a chance to tell their story. I didn't particularly like the characters the first time around but I thought they were at least somewhat interesting to follow for the duration of the original game. I never thought it was a game that should be turned into a series that followed two characters though, when the setting was what interested me the first time around and to be completely honest with you, it was the various groups of characters and their relationship to the world around them that pushed me through to the end. I would have much preferred that they had brought Ellie or Joel back as a familiar face to be a someone we meet as a brand new character, but kept them at a distance of anything. What it really boils down to for me is that I don't want the series to limit itself in the way that the original Mass Effect trilogy did, where you had this really cool universe to explore but only really followed the same set of characters throughout to the point that they meant more than the setting itself. I am aware that many appreciated the characters and their story more than anything else in the first game, but that simply wasn't the case for me. The game isn't coming out for quite some time but they'll have plenty of chances to sway my very early impressions.

Skux

It's a natural extension. The game was never really about post-apocalyptic fungus zombies. It's about two people put in an extreme situation and the relationship that results. So it only makes sense that the second game is about them as well.

Top Bottom