• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Stages Do You Want To See In Smash Bros.?

I've often seen a lot of people talking about new characters they want in Smash 4, but not the stages. Let's fix that.

[POSSIBLE EARTHBOUND SPOILER AHEAD]

Dungeonman - Earthbound - You can never have enough Earthbound. Playing inside a living dungeon with signs and murderous presents was really trippy. Having it move around the world while players fight inside and outside of it would be ridiculously cool.

Baby Bowser's Castle - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - I think this was the best rendition of Bowser's Castle ever, with tons of wacky traps and mechanics to fight between.

Wario's Castle - Wario Land 2 - I think the OG Wario series hasn't received enough credit in the shadow of WarioWare. Making Wario's Castle a humongous, extravagant 8-player stage with cameos from Captain Syrup and her pirate posse would be a great throwback.

So, GAF. Where would you like to fight in Smash?

Tenebrous

When Shovel Knight gets added to the game (after you all go vote for him in the ballot - wink wink nudge nudge), I would really like to see a Explodatorium themed level.

georly

Problem with stage DLC:

Can you charge for it? If you do, then can you only play that stage online vs people who also bought the stage? What about playing with friends online? Mario kart 8 only lets you race against people who also bought the tracks, right? Do you want to split the userbase over stage dlc?

I think stage DLC should be free, but also come alongside character dlc, which is not (you can play against characters you don't buy, you just can't play AS them). Stages are an entirely different beast. But if stages are free, they also have less incentive to make them. Their only real purpose would be to get people to boot up the game again and try it out (and then hopefully they'll buy more dlc while they're there).

Evolve was smart by making all stages free.

• That said, I'd love a new majora's mask stage, or the return of great bay. ALBW stage would be nice, too. Maybe kakariko village, one of the most iconic things about zelda, that has yet to get any representation.

A level from Metroid that isn't just another Cave/Lava stage.

hqdefault.jpg

Neoxon

- Fountain of Dreams
- Dream Land 64
- Yoshi's Story
- Pokémon Stadium 1
- Yoshi's Island (Brawl) (yes, I know it's on the 3DS version)

Basically more tournament-legal stages.

Gartooth

something from Donkey Kong Country that is not a jungle level with not jungle level music
ditto for Metroid and lava levels
Bowser's Castle: How do we not have this yet?
Wario Land stage
Saffron City for retro pick

Ganon's Tower, The Wind Waker (the rooftop with falling water after about a minute)

Chimera Laboratory, MOTHER 3 (specifically the room with the Drago Skeleton for fun platforms)

Gyromite (please just make a quick and easy NES retro stage so ROB has a proper home stage)

Subcon, Doki Doki Panic/Super Mario Bros 2/ Super Mario Bros USA (specifically this location which I have fond memories of, plus it wouldn't be a walkoff and the moving platform in a "U" shape would be interesting)

Anything from DKC that isn't a jungle

-

For Retro Stages:
Rainbow Cruise
New Pork City (Admit it this was made for 8 player smash!)
Saffron City
Pokemon Stadium 1
Hyrule Castle

From 3DS to Wii U pls Sakurai ;_;
Jungle Japes
Magicant
Gerudo Valley

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Phendrana Rifts, Clock Town and one based on Rhythm Heaven.

Also bring back the Wind Waker stage from Brawl.

something from Donkey Kong Country that is not a jungle level with not jungle level music
Bowser's Castle: How do we not have this yet?
Wario Land stage
Saffron City for retro pick

level with not jungle level music
Bramble Blast and KremKroc Industries, Inc(with Fear Factory remake by Yuzo Koshiro).

Any level based around Chozo ruins.

Anything simple with two or three platforms, crammed with visuals in the background for flavor. Smash 4 needs more balanced stages :/

Toxi

Banned
Sanctuary Fortress from Metroid Prime 2. The level has lots of potential gimmicks like the spiderball surfaces and elevators, and it looks gorgeous.

Characters are cool and all, but I really want new stages too. Here's what I'd choose:
Saturn Valley (Earthbound)
healthful.png

Eryth Sea (Xenoblade)
hqdefault.jpg

Grima's Back (Fire Emblem: Awakening)
gc5mYUE.png

brinstar

Bowser's Goddamn Castle how has this not been done yet? I thought this was a lock with the inclusion of the Koopalings and Bowser Jr.

Gangplank Galleon from DKC2

Gyromite for ROB

Tourian from Metroid

Threed from Earthbound with the giant living circus tent

Death Egg Zone

Fallen Arm from Xenoblade

Really just anything with fewer obstacles/bosses/environmental hazards happening, but still nice terrain variations would be great. Corneria was a great example of a level with different sections to provide varied gameplay with minimal hazards (occasional ships shooting/appearing). SSB4 has so few levels that hit that sweet spot so I'd love more of those.

rhandino

Banned
1) Phendrana Rifts - Metroid

2)
Fallen Arm and/or Agniratha
- Xenoblade

3) Grima's
Back
- Fire Emblem Awakening

4) Lazulis Island - The Last Story

5) Blood Edward Island - Another Code: Two Memories
=P

6) Grassland Groove - DKC Tropical Freeze

I really just want to see Hyrule Castle and Saffron City make a comeback. Actually, all the N64 Stages would be cool

As for new stages, anything from Wonderful 101.

kunonabi

The Clock Tower or Dracula's throne room from Castlevania. Add in some Vampire Killer, Bloody Tears, or Wicked Child for music and you're good to go

WiiU versions of the 3ds stages, because my friends and I never play the 3ds version when using a console is an option.

Phendrana Drifts from Metroid Prime
Sanctuary Fortress from Metroid Prime 2
Both cooler than anything they've actually chosen to rep the franchise

Bowser's Castle. The stages are a foregone conclusion in every mario platformer, and featured in every Mario Kart. Surprised one hasn't shown up for smash yet.

A mario-style airship.

ash_ag

8omRnAf.jpg

Preferably remastered, but with the same setup and gimmicks.

4BWorsy.jpg

How could Hanenbow not return?! One of the most creative stages in the entire series. As someone who picks Omega Stages more often than I care to admit, I miss playing there.

Pizza

All the 3ds stages and all the N64/Melee stages for starters. I'd also like a Wario Land stage and a Wonderful 101 stage. And the Dr Mario stage they were planning.

And honestly just a ton of not "happy grassy please" stages that don't blow to play on. If they just jammed in all the stages they've ever made for a smash game idk if I'd need another. I'm also afraid that any cool stages we get could be subject to the "orbital gate assault" theory of stage design: taking a great stage (great Fox) and making it as fun as 75m

EDIT:

Wonder Red...

ReXNddM.png

fighting on top of the school bus...

BJ5jxaK.png

to this track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0hjcWnigAw

This!
I hope you know what to do sakurai!

xaviorq8

I'd be completely down with stage packs for each of the previous games, if for nothing else so I could get ALL the stages back from the N64 game.

As for totally new, I'd like to see a holosseum from Custom Robo to go along with the Ray series character that I voted for and that will win the Smash Ballot.
(Believe)

Oh, and just for maximum hilarity:
Ice Climbers stage with the Ice Climbers as a stage boss!

Side note, let's see some additional custom stage editor additions, too.

Lunar15

Stages with more varied designs but less intrusive hazards. Omega mode is such bullshit.

One of the thing that kills this game for me is how absolutely disappointing the stages are.

For an actual stage, let's get a Venus Lighthouse stage (golden sun) that splits into 4 sections once lit. Add the option to turn this mode off, and you still have a nice stage with one big, mutilayered platform in the center and two side platforms.

tumblr_mhmht7wMj51s54raoo1_1359859315_cover.jpg

Also, any metroid level that isn't fucking lava or spinning.

Problem with stage DLC:

Can you charge for it? If you do, then can you only play that stage online vs people who also bought the stage? What about playing with friends online? Mario kart 8 only lets you race against people who also bought the tracks, right? Do you want to split the userbase over stage dlc?

I think stage DLC should be free, but also come alongside character dlc, which is not (you can play against characters you don't buy, you just can't play AS them). Stages are an entirely different beast. But if stages are free, they also have less incentive to make them. Their only real purpose would be to get people to boot up the game again and try it out (and then hopefully they'll buy more dlc while they're there).

Evolve was smart by making all stages free.

• That said, I'd love a new majora's mask stage, or the return of great bay. ALBW stage would be nice, too. Maybe kakariko village, one of the most iconic things about zelda, that has yet to get any representation.
PlayStation battle royale did it great, you can play the stages online but you have to buy em to play off line or to select the stage yourself when playing with friends(if they owned it they could pick it and you can play on said stage)

Ganon's tower(WW):
0.jpg

Phendrana drifts(MP):
3jEoLRf.jpg

Safari Zone(Pokémon):
618px-Safari_Zone_ORAS.png

Bowser's Bullet Bill Express(SM3DW):
maxresdefault.jpg

Distant Tundra Cavern(Pikmin 3):
468px-Z51.jpg

Stage based on this area and the boss fight with the vehemoth phosbat. Will be really dark except for mushrooms lighting some areas. When light bulb lights up the vehemoth phosbat comes out and attacks.

Sunset Shores(Donkey Kong Country Returns)
sunsetshores28.png

Or a stage based on Cliffside Slide, Busted Bayou, Grassland Groove, Stormy Shores, etc. There are many amazing levels in DKCR/TF that are outside the usual jungle setting.

Wario's Castle(Super Mario Land 2/Wario Land):

5096255576_b752de1282_z.jpg

metzger203

Central Highway from Mega Man X:
zjDC3i9.png

I feel it could work either as a typical stationary stage or a side-scrolling stage. I found this image on Google, it looks to be from a fan-made Smash Brothers flash game. This is pretty much what I had in mind. Instead of the yellow devil you could have one of those giant bee things, and the road could have chunks that fall off after too much stress.
kwelRS4.png

Another stage I think needs to happen is either Bowser's Castle or Bowser's Airship. That Bowser's Castle stage from the recent ProjectM trailer looked fantastic. And I'd also like to add my name to the list of people who want a Metroid stage that isn't a lava cavern. Tallon Overworld or Phendrana Drifts please.

Edzi

Maybe this is too much to ask for, but I want ALL of the old stages back first. If not the ones in Brawl, then at least all of the classics from 64 and Melee.

Toxi

Banned
They should just fuse every lava level in Metroid and make the ultimate Metroid lava level, Tounorlinosryyomoor 3-PYR.

PSqueak

Banned
-Doc's Gym (Punch out! Wii)

In the center of the stage there is a boxing ring smaller than the one already in the game, to the sides there are punching bags hanging, punch them make them wiggle and knock opponents (think wobbufet), in the center there is an hologram machine, every now and then it summons holograms of PO! opponents as stage hazards. Smash taunt to have Doc Louise appear in the Background and comment on the characters.

-Sargasso Space Station (Star Fox Assault)

A non spaceship Star Fox level, there is some sort of battle going in the background causing occasional stage hazards. Cameos of the Star Wolf squad, some F-Zero criminals and maybe Metroid space pirates too!

-Mount Itoi (Earthbound Zero/Mother 1)

The summit of a mountain above the clouds, ocational stage hazards include an ufo, Eve battling an XX robot and maybe even Geigue.

Returning:

-Hyrule Castle (N64)
-Saffron City (N64)
-Mute City (Melee)
-Rainbow Ride (Melee)
-Spear Pillar (Brawl)
-The Summit (Brawl)

Top Bottom